Favorite character so far

Sylveon

Favorite character so far  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite character(s)?

I think Tsubaki looks like Inigo, so I'm on the "Tsubaki's a dude" side.

And I knew about characters using pronouns associated with the opposite gender before (though a question: are there any female characters who use "ore"?).

I would totally use ore

I think there's cases in other media where women used ore. Not sure about FE because I haven't really read the Japanese versions of any other FE, but afaik while it's fairly uncommon there are works that feature a woman using ore even in a non-crossdressing context. Would have to look it up the specifics, though.

(If you want something embarrassing, go look through the list of, say, FE7 Con stats, and notice how every single adult man (even Lucius!) has equal or more Con (i.e. weight) than every single woman with the exception of Vaida. Granted, this says more about the adult females than the males, as the latter do run a broad spectrum at least, but it's still a bit facepalm-worthy. The other games aren't quite as bad about this IIRC, but still pretty bad.)

It's especially embarassing when you look at female Paladin's class con, and then look at Isadora, and realise that she has a -3 from even her class con for no good reason. And unlike Guy who only uses swords and isn't hurt too much by it (the fact that swordlock in itself hurts a lot is a whole 'nother conversation that has nothing to do with con), Isa has lances and axes at her disposal too but gets weighed down too much especially by the latter.

Also Male Druid is apparently 4 con over female, That's quite a gap. There's at least no playable female druid in FE7 but, man.

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I saw Marth was in SSB though. xP

And what exactly is wrong with that? Some men look feminine, some men look masculine, some are in between. You certainly can't claim that there aren't plenty of Hawkeyes, Largos, and Vaikes to balance things out. Variety is good! If anything I find the series is too willing to pigeon-hole people by gender as is, especially for body types.

Because just as there's a difference between, say, sexualizing a design for the sake of it and making a sexualized character look practical, there's a difference between a man having reasons to look feminine and a man looking feminine just because someone felt like drawing him that way in order to please a fan.

I would totally use ore

I think there's cases in other media where women used ore. Not sure about FE because I haven't really read the Japanese versions of any other FE, but afaik while it's fairly uncommon there are works that feature a woman using ore even in a non-crossdressing context. Would have to look it up the specifics, though.

I know Akane Owari from Super Dangan Ronpa uses ore.

...I'll go back the shadows now

Because just as there's a difference between, say, sexualizing a design for the sake of it and making a sexualized character look practical, there's a difference between a man having reasons to look feminine and a man looking feminine just because someone felt like drawing him that way in order to please a fan.

I dare you to go up to some guy who's pretty IRL and ask him "why do you look like a girl", who says they're drawn that way to please fans, some people are just born that way. Your face isn't your clothes. In the age before plastic surgery you don't get to pick your face. Your clothes are largely your choice.

Not every man fit within the expectations of masculinity. Sure, it's fine to prefer looking at them, nothing wrong with having preferences, but hell, if you look at the percentage of "feminine" looking men to the percentage of male cast, it's not really that big at all.

And fuck, Saizou has those hella pecs popping out of his shirt and I don't see you jumping on him, he fits within the expectations of a "manly" man, no

You... think that having a variety of male body types and levels of "masculinity" is all about pleasing fans?

That is how some men look. Personally I am quite glad FE reflects this, and you should be too even if you don't find the designs personally appealing.

I like having variety in the male character designs. What I find funny is that some of the guys, like Marth and Libra, don't even look that feminine to me. Especially Libra. He has the body of a man. I never once thought he was a woman, and I don't even get how anyone in the in-game world would mistake him for one. The only thing feminine about him is his voice and maybe those braids. His face even looks quite handsome to me.

Anyway, I think Tsubaki is a fella as well. I'd actually be disappointed if he's not. I'm really excited to have a male Pegasus Knight.

Edited by Sir_Frederick

Is there a SINGLE real man in this game other than them (that isn't possibly a minor character)? Seriously.

Real men...

[spoiler=WARNING! Minor NSFW]-run around walls for no reason

-endure black holes

-hang out with ladies

-stand on top of a pillar like a real man would

-watch clowns run circles around them, and love every moment of it

-ride green streams of semen

-beat up helpless children

-talk like a man

-changetheirappearancetolookmoremanlythenhavetogobacktotheshop

becausethecostumedidn'tfitandthentheyrefusetogivearefundsothey

havetowastefortymillionGilwithastupidthingwithtwocouponsfromRedLess

-befriend a helpless child

-destroy test tube babies

-BEAT UP A HELPLESS CHILD

-kick your ass!

-trick the enemy

-use the same move over and over

-make things up

-use sarcasm to beat their opponents

Edited by ScarletFlame

Welp. This thread continued to spiral into the offensive black hole of rubbish.

Tsubaki being a dude would pretty cool with me. Why not? Hes probably totally gr9mazing and a smooth talker. And he rides a freaking pegasus. All the gender stereotypes out the freaking window. I like how Nohr gets a burly buff fighter lady. femZerkers? YES PLEASE!

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

The only men in FE that actually look feminine, as in, I actually mistook them to be girls, are Lucius and Midayle.

It's kinda silly to say you're not manly if you're a little scrawny or have longer hair.

I mean it would be just as silly to say more girls should have Camilla boobs and wear skirts because the ones that wear pants and aren't so curvy look manly.

Edit: to stay on topic, I agree that regardless of Tsubaki's gender the design is pretty cool. Personally think Tsubaki is a guy. Also his face looks exactly like Inigo.

Edited by Owain Dark

Welp. This thread continued to spiral into the offensive black hole of rubbish.

Tsubaki being a dude would pretty cool with me. Why not? Hes probably totally gr9mazing and a smooth talker. And he rides a freaking pegasus. All the gender stereotypes out the freaking window. I like how Nohr gets a burly buff fighter lady. femZerkers? YES PLEASE!

If it wasn't for the pegasus and the ponytail, I wouldn't doubt that he/she/zhe was a man.

Also, are you talking about Rinka/Linca? Because she seems to be Hosihido exclusive, because she appears on the hoshidan side of the battle on the bridge,dual attacking with Orochi, and in the Hoshidan throne room when Ryouma is talking to Kamui(at least, I think so).

On the topic of characters, I'm most interested in Orochi, Takumi(archer), and the cavalier girl we saw like, twice.

If it wasn't for the pegasus and the ponytail, I wouldn't doubt that he/she/zhe was a man.

Also, are you talking about Rinka/Linca? Because she seems to be Hosihido exclusive, because she appears on the hoshidan side of the battle on the bridge,dual attacking with Orochi, and in the Hoshidan throne room when Ryouma is talking to Kamui(at least, I think so).

On the topic of characters, I'm most interested in Orochi, Takumi(archer), and the cavalier girl we saw like, twice.

There is a female-looking barbarian-like map sprite in one of the Nohr screenshots, is what I'm thinking Loki's referring to. I'm pretty excited for Rinka myself, though. Why is she never an option in these polls

Also tbh ponytails is a very common masculine look in more east-asian influenced aesthetics or at least neutral. I come from a wuxia-watching background so I'd honestly argue that, due to the cultural influence for Hoshido, that ponytail is actually a, not an end-all-be-all but, a fairly swaying indication of masculinity since feminine hairstyles can get, as seen with Orochi, really elaborate.

...I just realised that a lot of Hoshidan women have short-ish hair. Sakura has relatively shorter hair as far as women are concerned, Hinoka has pretty damn short hair. As far as Rinka's model goes, that's another tally for short hair. The long hair women like Empress and Orochi have much fancier styles than a ponytail.

Edit: Whoops forgot about Kazahana for a bit though

Edited by Thor Odinson

Real men...

[spoiler=WARNING! Minor NSFW]-run around walls for no reason

-endure black holes

-hang out with ladies

-stand on top of a pillar like a real man would

-watch clowns run circles around them, and love every moment of it

-ride green streams of semen

-talk like a man

-changetheirappearancetolookmoremanlythenhavetogobacktotheshop

becausethecostumedidn'tfitandthentheyrefusetogivearefundsothey

havetowastefortymillionGilwithastupidthingwithtwocouponsfromRedLess

-befriend a helpless child

-destroy test tube babies

-BEAT UP A HELPLESS CHILD

-kick your ass!

-trick the enemy

-use the same move over and over

-make things up

-use sarcasm to beat their opponents

You did NOT just reference that! :P:

Would anybody doubt Tsubaki being a man if he wasn't on a pegasus?

His name certainly doesn't help! For example, I knew Lucius was a dude because Lucius is a dude's name. Tsubaki can go either way. That voice clip, however, was definitely a man's voice.

For the sheer controversy he's caused, Tsubaki's now second. But he's not taking Saizou's place in my heart~!

I think Tsubaki looks like Inigo, so I'm on the "Tsubaki's a dude" side.

And I knew about characters using pronouns associated with the opposite gender before (though a question: are there any female characters who use "ore"?).

And re: previous effeminate men.

Marth: Outside of SSB, Marth is very clearly male.

Seliph: All the FE4 Gen 2 boys are pretty boys, but I never thought any of them looked like girls.

Lucius: Never really thought Lucius looked like a girl. Might be in part because I knew that Lucius was a man's name.

Soren: Same case as Lucius.

Libra: Dude's freaking built, how can anyone mistake him for a girl? (To avert a gender stereotypes argument: I'm aware that women can be muscular, but this is Japanese media we're talking about, so I think we can expect gender stereotypes to play into character designs)

I don't know if there are any female in FE who refer to themselves as ore, but I know one from an anime (lal mirch from reborn).

The Kamui's,because their powers seem awesome.

Blue dancer lady - Need I say more?

And Sakura,she seems like the perfect little sister,really.Also,Sakura reminds me of Madoka Magica,so I might make my Kamui Madoka. >_>

There is a female-looking barbarian-like map sprite in one of the Nohr screenshots, is what I'm thinking Loki's referring to. I'm pretty excited for Rinka myself, though. Why is she never an option in these polls

Also tbh ponytails is a very common masculine look in more east-asian influenced aesthetics or at least neutral. I come from a wuxia-watching background so I'd honestly argue that, due to the cultural influence for Hoshido, that ponytail is actually a, not an end-all-be-all but, a fairly swaying indication of masculinity since feminine hairstyles can get, as seen with Orochi, really elaborate.

...I just realised that a lot of Hoshidan women have short-ish hair. Sakura has relatively shorter hair as far as women are concerned, Hinoka has pretty damn short hair. As far as Rinka's model goes, that's another tally for short hair. The long hair women like Empress and Orochi have much fancier styles than a ponytail.

Edit: Whoops forgot about Kazahana for a bit though

Yeah, I know A lot of asian men rock ponytails(Thanks AtLA!) but there was also, Felicia,and Kazahana: girls with ponytails, from(and also, I'm African, so I was conditioned to associate longer hair with women), so I thought the hairstyle was too ambiguous to make a call(Since I'm pretty sure ponytails are signs of dedication). You do raise a good point though, looking at the Hoshidan girls again, they all seem to be wearing something prominent on their hair, while Tsubaki is wearing something more subtle.

Also, I must not have been wearing my glasses while looking at the, because I have no idea where the fembarian is. could you show me the image, at least?

Yeah, I know A lot of asian men rock ponytails(Thanks AtLA!) but there was also, Felicia,and Kazahana: girls with ponytails, from(and also, I'm African, so I was conditioned to associate longer hair with women), so I thought the hairstyle was too ambiguous to make a call(Since I'm pretty sure ponytails are signs of dedication). You do raise a good point though, looking at the Hoshidan girls again, they all seem to be wearing something prominent on their hair, while Tsubaki is wearing something more subtle.

Also, I must not have been wearing my glasses while looking at the, because I have no idea where the fembarian is. could you show me the image, at least?

Yeah I'm Chinese who grew up watching period dramas so long hair on guys is per the norm

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/april-2015-nintendo-direct/nohr5.jpg

The one standing to the right of Camilla's map sprite.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Yeah I'm Chinese who grew up watching period dramas so long hair on guys is per the norm

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/april-2015-nintendo-direct/nohr5.jpg

The one standing to the right of Camilla's map sprite.

Is it bad that I had to Google what a period drama was?

Oh, I see her now! Though she might be a fighter, considering how similar they are to barbarians, but she's probably the latter, considering she's from the 'evil' side.

Well, my favourite character so far is Kazahana or one of the two Kamuis (leaning towards the female, though). I'd say Kazahana simply because for whatever reason, I'm a sucker for female myrmidons (I used Marisa over Joshua in Sacred Stones and preferred Mia over other Swordmaster units in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn and my female Avatar in Awakening is a swordmaster). I really don't know why. Ryouma seems cool, too. So does Marx. Actually, all of the new characters have their charms (although I'm not too much into Camilla's design. It's too fanservice-y for my tastes. For the very same reason I didn't like Aversa...)