Favorite character so far

Sylveon

Favorite character so far  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite character(s)?

I hope Ryouma doesn't stay Ryouma in the localization, I think it's a silly name for a man. Even a Japanese one. He'll probably be given a fairly similar name in English though, as that's the case for a majority of FE characters. I can see him being Ryan, perhaps. Or maybe Roark. I'd love for him to have that name, as he'd share his name with one of my favorite Pokemon gym leaders. ^^

That sucker never saw the Rain Brigade coming in... like a wave.

But really, keep the Ryouma. That is one kicking name, plus he haz teh thund3rsword.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ryouma = Ryan, he's the green-haired archer from FE12.

In all seriousness, though, I think in this case it'd be fine to leave the Hoshido characters' names alone, since the setting is highly influenced by Japan. Still want to know what Blarth's real name is, though.

I hope Ryouma doesn't stay Ryouma in the localization, I think it's a silly name for a man. Even a Japanese one. He'll probably be given a fairly similar name in English though, as that's the case for a majority of FE characters. I can see him being Ryan, perhaps. Or maybe Roark. I'd love for him to have that name, as he'd share his name with one of my favorite Pokemon gym leaders. ^^

Uh

Ryouma is a fairly common name for guys in Japan

One notable one I can think off the top of my head is Sakamoto Ryouma (坂本龍馬) of the late Bakumatsu period

Sure, fine, whatever. Take away a cultural name of a man who is very obviously not Western in ethnicity or intent. There isnt anything wrong with that at all!

<.< You have got to be kidding me.

I dont think too much changing of Hoshido characters' names is necessary. I do feel like Ryouma will be either Ryo or Ryu internationally, but i wouldnt be surprised if his name was left alone. I think its important Hoshido characters' names sound very Japanese. Kazahana is a bit of a mouthful though, tbh. But if i see it localized to Hannah, ill fucking facepalm.

Yes plz make it Ryo!!! :rolleyes:

Sure, fine, whatever. Take away a cultural name of a man who is very obviously not Western in ethnicity or intent. There isnt anything wrong with that at all!

<.< You have got to be kidding me.

Uh, no, there IS nothing wrong with that. Jackie Chan says hi.

Also, Hannah is a pretty name, I would smile if that became Kazahana's English name. I also knew a very nice Hannah in high school. She gave me a hug after I suffered some bullying. The Hannah in the Nancy Drew series is awesome too. It just seems like girls named Hannah are meant to be awesome!

EDIT: Wait, that girl I'm thinking of from high school was named Savannah, not Hannah. Derp, silly me. Still, my point stands that I like the name. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Also, Hannah is a pretty name, I would smile if that became Kazahana's English name. I also knew a very nice Hanna in high school. She gave me a hug after I suffered some bullying. The Hannah in the Nancy Drew series is awesome too. It just seems like girls named Hannah are meant to be awesome!

But they aren't Japanese.

Renaming Kazahana Hannah would take away a bit of the Japanese feel of Hoshido. Not so much as turning Lobster man into a shota archer from FE12 since she's presumably not as important as Ryouma, but it holds.

Let's just name everybody Vergil and call it a day.

Also, Hannah is a pretty name, I would smile if that became Kazahana's English name. I also knew a very nice Hanna in high school. She gave me a hug after I suffered some bullying. The Hannah in the Nancy Drew series is awesome too. It just seems like girls named Hannah are meant to be awesome!

You really want for them to go all 4Kids on us? You crazy. Regardless of your feelings about the names, it's very, very clear that these characters are meant to be as close to Japanese as you can make them in a fantasy setting. Also keep in mind that a lot of past Fire Emblem character's Japanese names were very Engrish-y at their most comprehensible.

Edited by Ambulz

Jackie Chan was a man born during the time Hong Kong was occupied by England, and English is about as much of an official language there as Cantonese. Jackie Chan also has a Chinese name he is referred to in China. In any case, Jackie Chan is also an adult human being making the choice to be known internationally as Jackie for himself. Nobody took his Chinese name away from him.

Saying that Ryouma sounds weird and didn't suit your tastes even though it's a perfectly good name in Japan applied to a country with obvious and very strong Japanese influences and that it needs to be changed because you don't like it is culturally insensitive, however

How would you like it if I said 我觉得凯利是个奇怪的名字,就算是个英文名我也觉得在美国会很奇怪!to you?

Edited by Thor Odinson

I can say with some degree of certainty that a lot of Asians who move to western countries to live, or are Asian Americans with immigrant parents, adopt western names because they either want to fit into the culture or because an Asian name would be horribly mispronounced and butchered. 90% of people butcher my first name in both pronunciation and spelling to the point where I don't even bother telling people my actual name anymore. Same logic with people who are "celebrities" - Jackie Chan would've called himself that for the American market because Americans are bad at Chinese/Asian names.

Ryouma, on the other hand, would be a guy native his own land - a Japanese-inspired land. He doesn't need a "western" name because who is he trying to accommodate for? On the contrary, if his name was Ryan or Roark, HE would be the weird one out in his own country. Likewise, why would a Japanese person living in Japan give themselves a western name if they were not trying to accommodate for anyone? As in, a normal Japanese person who isn't a celebrity or anything. Same logic with Ryouma.

But they aren't Japanese.

Renaming Kazahana Hannah would take away a bit of the Japanese feel of Hoshido. Not so much as turning Lobster man into a shota archer from FE12 since she's presumably not as important as Ryouma, but it holds.

Why should it matter that they're Japanese? People in real life give their kids foreign names all the time. And it's not like giving them foreign names will change their designs or their country's customs or culture.

Nobody took his Chinese name away from him.

And I'm not saying Ryouma's Japanese name should be taken from him. He'd still be Ryouma over there.

Edited by Anacybele

... *sighs*

This isn't real life, Ana. If it was, we wouldn't be having Dark Prince Manaketes (read; NOT Dragon Subhumans) transforming into a Kirin.

I hate those things. So annoying to kill in MH.

Names add to a setting. In Hoshido, the designers are clearly trying to invoke an Asian (specifically Japanese) setting, and the localisers have already indicated they are going to continue that feel linguistlcally by naming the country "Hoshido". So yeah, I very much hope the Hoshido characters maintain their Japanese-sounding names, and I'm usually not one to clamour for that on average. If Ryouma is localised as Ryan, I will twitch a bit.

They're clearly evoking the Japanese visual in a Japanese-appearing country

Note that I prolly wouldn't have an issue with IS making a decision for their characters because it's their characters, but

I don't think it's right of you, Ana, as a western consumer who really should learn some cultural sensitivity, to call Ryouma's name weird despite the clearly Japanese setting they want to evoke.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Well, let me rephrase. Not ALL of the Hoshido characters have to have western names. Some of them can stay Japanese, I can agree with that. But I see nothing wrong with a few of them having western names.

EDIT: Oh, now I'm not allowed to think something is weird? lol, wow. Also, it's not like I think all Japanese names are weird. I don't think any of those Nintendo guys have weird names (and I'm talking Sakurai, Miyamoto, Iwata, Aonuma, etc. Masahiro, Shigeru, Satoru, and Eiji sound fine to me).

Edited by Anacybele

There is also consistency you want to consider. From the names shown, the Nohrian names we know so far are at least romanization attempts at existing western names such as Maakusu (Max/Marx) and Kamira (Camilla), which are not names used in Japan for Japanese people. Hoshido names are fairly clear-cut straight up Japanese names. Ryouma, Sakura, Tsubaki, etc, are all names that are commonly used in Japan. There's a language-based pattern on these names and should be respected. It's a way to keep consistent to setting.

My favorite so far is dancer girl. She seems like she'd be a really great friend. 2nd is Hinoka.

Having experienced...well, basically every Fire Emblem game so far (be it remake or original), I'm going to speculate that such localization probably won't happen this time around due to the separate factions, one being very clearly Japan-based (we even have the official name of said place for the game's western release as "Hoshido"), which Fire Emblem has never really had before, so re-naming characters in other games for localizations didn't really change it in the way it would here. Plus, the Nohr characters will likely consist of...well, not-so-Japanese names already. And that's the point. If the names of characters on both sides sound too similar, it's going to harm believability and immersion.

Hoshido is meant to give off an Asian air, and all the names are distinctly Japanese. To change them would be to completely alter the setting, and THAT would be inexcusable. I'll grin and bear any and all mangling of the Japanese names.

To pick a favorite would mean that I'd have to judge someone on a couple of lines and looks, with no indication of things like gameplay potential. That being said, go Saizou~!

EDIT:

EDIT: Oh, now I'm not allowed to think something is weird? lol, wow. Also, it's not like I think all Japanese names are weird. I don't think any of those Nintendo guys have weird names (and I'm talking Sakurai, Miyamoto, Iwata, Aonuma, etc. Masahiro, Shigeru, Satoru, and Eiji sound fine to me).

Go read up on Japanese history. Some of the older names look odd, because they're rarely, if ever going to pop up with modern references (point to a modern-day guy named Yoshitomo. . .yeah). I'm slightly annoyed because my last name is very Japanese and very, very unusual. The names revealed so far don't have an antiquated vibe to them (another Ryoma is in Prince of Tennis, and that's plenty modern), so what's the problem?

Edited by eclipse

How would you like it if I said 我觉得凯利是个奇怪的名字,就算是个英文名我也觉得在美国会很奇怪!to you?

For the record, this means "I think Kelly is a weird name, and even though it's English I think it'd still be weird in America!" in Chinese.

Now, since I'm bilingual obviously this isn't the case and you definitely don't think Kelly is weird (I hope), but it highlights the same thing. It's not a name used ever in Chinese, to a nonbilingual Chinese person Kelly would be very foreign to their ears, but it's perfectly normal in the countries it's used in. I would like you to just, leave cultural names alone and if IS decides to do whatever with them, be their business to do so and not yours.

1. I don't actually like the name Kelly (unless it's spelled Kelli, then it's kinda nice. But still not spectacular, imo), so I don't care that Thor thinks it's a weird name. I find it to be a boring name.

2. Actually, IS doesn't decide what the names are in the English games, that would be NoA. But whatever they do, of course it's their business. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be disappointed at some or all of the name choices they go with.

They should rename Ryouma Ryu

Or Kamui Ryu

Name everyone Ryu

Why not just have everyone be Dante? Edited by ScarletFlame

The point isn't whether or not I think it's a weird name but rather the same argument applied the other way around (and for the record 凯利 can be both Kelly and Kelli because of how Chinese works)

It's saying "Hey here's an English name that I think sounds totally weird even for its countries of usage even though I know nothing about the language!!!!1"

So please learn some cultural sensitivity ffs

They should rename Ryouma Ryu

Or Kamui Ryu

Name everyone Ryu

you know the kanji for Ryouma is Dragon Horse and
Kamooi turns into a Dragon Horselike thingy
It's the illuminati
Edited by Thor Odinson