"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

Well yes, but it really depends on the level of your units and your progression in the story, I don't recall much info on the levels of "grinding" enemies at certain chapters. Exp does drop off fairly quickly if you get overleveled, and there's a whole bunch of units in the game itself.

Also the price of summoning enemies does go up, but you can always just wait for them to spawn in naturally.

Question: is the inverse true? Does a unit get much more experience from defeating an enemy that's at a higher level than it than in other games in the series?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: is the inverse true? Does a unit get much more experience from defeating an enemy that's at a higher level than it than in other games in the series?

It's hard to be underleveled in the game, somewhat, but ...the answer is that it gets more, but not "much more" (the game is a jerk, what can be said)

If someone would be nice enough to confirm if the following numbers I have is true

If both characters are at the same level, exp gained from kill = 30

If your character is higher leveled:

1 Level higher: 25 Exp

2 Levels: 19 Exp

3 Levels: 13 Exp

4 Levels: 7 Exp

5 Levels: 1 Exp (You also gain 0 exp from combat)

If your character it lower leveled:

3 Exp per level difference

I have no idea how the game calculates attack/guard stance exp though

From my vague experience, healing/dancing for a lower level unit gives less exp as well, but eh, what can I say

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Well yes, but it really depends on the level of your units and your progression in the story, I don't recall much info on the levels of "grinding" enemies at certain chapters. Exp does drop off fairly quickly if you get overleveled, and there's a whole bunch of units in the game itself.

Also the price of summoning enemies does go up, but you can always just wait for them to spawn in naturally.

How about difficulty with those enemies? I mean you can choose on what chapter they will spawn or it is randomly?

How soon can you change classes?

Once you get to My Castle at Chapter 7.

How about difficulty with those enemies? I mean you can choose on what chapter they will spawn or it is randomly?

When you select "Search for enemies" on the map menu, you can pick a spot to summon an encounter to. The level of the opponents and the cost to summon them is dependent on the spot you pick. You can't choose a spot unless you have completed the chapter that takes place there.

Encounters also spawn randomly after chapters and after waiting a few hours. Random encounters' levels are based on story progression and spawn in random locations.

Edited by gayserbeam

Once you get to My Castle at Chapter 7. When you select "Search for enemies" on the map menu, you can pick a spot to summon an encounter to. The level of the opponents and the cost to summon them is dependent on the spot you pick. You can't choose a spot unless you have completed the chapter that takes place there.

Encounters also spawn randomly after chapters and after waiting a few hours. Random encounters' levels are based on story progression and spawn in random locations.

So we can say it's same as in awakening, good, i was thinking if i will be able to grind underleveled characters after story. :P

Edit: I know Nohr can't grind, i'm aware of that. I won't probably play Nohr anyway~

Edited by Eriotto

1) Going thru some of the inventory pages, I'm curious if there is any purpose to Elise's Young-Staff? A 1-use stave that heals for 10 HP seems like it's the staff equivalent of a joke weapon. It just seems like a vastly inferior version of the physic staff.

2) Does Misfortune and Sin work on bosses?

3) For the classes that can reach an S-rank in weapons, does the advantage of being able to use the S-rank weapons weigh out being limited to one weapon type? (Not including Ninjas, of course.) I understand if this question has too many outside variables to give a straight answer to.

1) Its just a joke weapon like Hana's Pretty Blade and Leo's Cold Sword. You get them in My Castle and are worth nothing.

3) Those classes like Elite Ninja and Swordmaster have skills that give you free damage (like Swordfaire), and there are reverse weapons to reverse the weapon triangle

1) Going thru some of the inventory pages, I'm curious if there is any purpose to Elise's Young-Staff? A 1-use stave that heals for 10 HP seems like it's the staff equivalent of a joke weapon. It just seems like a vastly inferior version of the physic staff.

2) Does Misfortune and Sin work on bosses?

3) For the classes that can reach an S-rank in weapons, does the advantage of being able to use the S-rank weapons weigh out being limited to one weapon type? (Not including Ninjas, of course.) I understand if this question has too many outside variables to give a straight answer to.

1) Some weapons are only obtained through random My Castle or with Renown. Some are good but others are...well, pretty shit. I wish the staves had more uses. They arent even worth the inventory space.

2)I'd assume so but I expect the hit rates won't be in your favor.

3) Single weapon type classes get a natural crit boost (+20 for Berserker and +10 for the others) and there is enough diversity of weapons where you could reasonably want 5 of one weapon type. Reverse weapons let you beat your weakness and are pretty good for neutral hits too.

3) Single weapon type classes get a natural crit boost (+20 for Berserker and +10 for the others) and there is enough diversity of weapons where you could reasonably want 5 of one weapon type. Reverse weapons let you beat your weakness and are pretty good for neutral hits too.

I'd disagree - for one, I don't really think that it's worth crippling overspecialization, and second, I think reverse weapons are too situational (AKA, try to use them against anything other than what you normally lose to, and you might run into hit issues).

Edited by Levant Colthearts

I'd disagree - for one, I don't really think that it's worth crippling overspecialization, and second, I think reverse weapons are too situational (AKA, try to use them against anything other than what you normally lose to, and you might run into hit issues).

That's fine. Everyone has their preferences.

There are plenty of weapons to use for a single character. Take Sorcerers.

Thunder (accurate, no penalties, easier to forge)

Lightning (double attacks)

Nosferatu (health recovery)

Mjolnir (crit bonus)

Ginnungagap (pure damage)

I don't even have room for the reverse tome on this set.

Or Trueblades

Iron Katana (accurate, no penalties, easier to forge)

Silver Katana (high might)

Kodachi/Flying dagger (ranged option)

Axe Slayer Katana (when you really need those Wyvern Lords to die)

Reverse Katana (for combating lance users)

And there are other choices too, such as the Warrior Katana and the S ranked Katana.

I think Reverse weapons have pretty well rounded attributes. They have 1 less might and 10 less accuracy than Steel but they don't have the AS penalty and they give you a +5 crit bonus. And If you have a WTA, the accuracy loss is a non-issue because the weapon triangle bonuses are doubled. A reverse naginata will let Lancers safely tank Berserkers and Bowmen to hit dodgy sword users. So, acceptable weapon for neutral hits and great weapon for WTA.

I'm not going to get into the meta of mutiplayer or the highest difficulties because min-maxing doesn't interest me. These classes and weapons are good at the default difficulty settings. Getting new weapon abilities isn't even that amazing when 1. the new weapon will start at E rank, making you grind through Bronze weapons in later game and 2. your grinding of the new weapon means you aren't leveling up your primary weapon rank. If anything, single weapon types are easier to use than multiple weapon types.

Edited by NekoKnight

That's fine. Everyone has their preferences.

There are plenty of weapons to use for a single character. Take Sorcerers.

Thunder (accurate, no penalties, easier to forge)

Lightning (double attacks)

Nosferatu (health recovery)

Mjolnir (crit bonus)

Ginnungagap (pure damage)

I don't even have room for the reverse tome on this set.

Or Trueblades

Iron Katana (accurate, no penalties, easier to forge)

Silver Katana (high might)

Kodachi/Flying dagger (ranged option)

Axe Slayer Katana (when you really need those Wyvern Lords to die)

Reverse Katana (for combating lance users)

And there are other choices too, such as the Warrior Katana and the S ranked Katana.

I think Reverse weapons have pretty well rounded attributes. They have 1 less might and 10 less accuracy than Steel but they don't have the AS penalty and they give you a +5 crit bonus. And If you have a WTA, the accuracy loss is a non-issue because the weapon triangle bonuses are doubled. A reverse naginata will let Lancers safely tank Berserkers and Bowmen to hit dodgy sword users. So, acceptable weapon for neutral hits and great weapon for WTA.

I'm not going to get into the meta of mutiplayer or the highest difficulties because min-maxing doesn't interest me. These classes and weapons are good at the default difficulty settings. Getting new weapon abilities isn't even that amazing when 1. the new weapon will start at E rank, making you grind through Bronze weapons in later game and 2. your grinding of the new weapon means you aren't leveling up your primary weapon rank. If anything, single weapon types are easier to use than multiple weapon types.

I agree with some of your assessment, but wrt the part where getting new weapon abilities isn't all that amazing... Why would that apply specifically to this game, and not others? Also, I'm not sure I'd want to use 5 of one weapon type when some of the weapons have effects that scream "dealbreaker" (the melee S rank weapons especially make me think "THIS was supposed to be worth dealing with crippling overspecialization?!?").

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Florete, January 2, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, January 2, 2016 - No reason given

Awww...

In a word: Yes

I would say not, get on that IK has paralogues of both nohrian and hoshidian children, so IK has more paralogues, however same amout of chapters. :P

Edited by Eriotto

I agree with some of your assessment, but wrt the part where getting new weapon abilities isn't all that amazing... Why would that apply specifically to this game, and not others? Also, I'm not sure I'd want to use 5 of one weapon type when some of the weapons have effects that scream "dealbreaker" (the melee S rank weapons especially make me think "THIS was supposed to be worth dealing with crippling overspecialization?!?").

I'd agree that the S rank weapons alone are not worth only using one weapon type (you only get them late game and without arms scroll usage, you may be unable to use them) but the difference between this game and ones prior is the sheer diversity in weapons options. No weapon except for Iron hur hur is good 100% of the time so you're encouraged to use more.

Let's compare a Hero and True Blade. On a no grind run, we'll be generous and say that the Hero has A rank Sword and C rank Axe, compared to the True Blade S rank Sword.

What niche axes would be better for the Hero that can't already be supplied by swords? Hammer? Killer Axe? There are sword equivalents. This isn't to say Heroes aren't as good (I'd still rather have a hammer because of a probable WTA) but "crippling overspecialization" isn't as bad as you make it sound.

That's a common opinion, but I just never felt the specialization is really crippling.

Sorcerors and Witches can only use Tomes, but mages are only going to be using Tomes to attack anyway. They always get WTD against Lances and Daggers, but Lances are usually one-range and most Dagger classes already have huge RES in the first place.

Holy Bowmen have some of the highest SKL, +10 HIT, Raven Strike and attack out of most opponents' range so WTA and WTD don't matter to them. Zanshin actually is useful, and the Short Bow in this game is basically an Iron Lance, letting them attack at 1 range.

Berserker STR, SPD, SKL, HP and crit bonus makes them some of the most powerful and easily abused units in the game, so its more than worth the specialization.

My FE philosophy has always been that specializing units is also not necessarily bad considering you can bring 10-14 units with you per fight. If you have a unit who is only useful for killing enemies of one weapon type, you're not making a strategic fauxpas by putting them on the map if they can do that job better than a more balanced unit.

That's a great thing about Fates though. It has so many interesting weapon combinations with classes (Revenant Knight and Butler are especially interesting to me) that you're practically encouraged to make balanced, interesting hybrids.

Edited by gayserbeam

That's a common opinion, but I just never felt the specialization is really crippling.

Sorcerors and Witches can only use Tomes, but mages are only going to be using Tomes to attack anyway. They always get WTD against Lances and Daggers, but Lances are usually one-range and most Dagger classes already have huge RES in the first place.

Holy Bowmen have some of the highest SKL, +10 HIT, Raven Strike and attack out of most opponents' range so WTA and WTD don't matter to them. Zanshin actually is useful, and the Short Bow in this game is basically an Iron Lance, letting them attack at 1 range.

Berserker STR, SPD, SKL, HP and crit bonus makes them some of the most powerful and easily abused units in the game, so its more than worth the specialization.

My FE philosophy has always been that specializing units is also not necessarily bad considering you can bring 10-14 units with you per fight. If you have a unit who is only useful for killing enemies of one weapon type, you're not making a strategic fauxpas by putting them on the map if they can do that job better than a more balanced unit.

That's a great thing about Fates though. It has so many interesting weapon combinations with classes (Revenant Knight and Butler are especially interesting to me) that you're practically encouraged to make balanced, interesting hybrids.

WRT Berserkers... The problem with that is that I don't like Berserkers and refuse to be convinced that they're worth using for a reason. Try to figure out why. As for Holy Bowmen, Raven Strike looks like it suffers from the same issue that Sure Strike did in Sacred Stones - between their high skill and bows' high hit, I'd be hard-pressed to find a situation where it'd actually be a big help for them short of being on the wrong end of Bowbreaker (which isn't to say that it can't be useful - just that it's better used by other classes).

WRT Berserkers... The problem with that is that I don't like Berserkers and refuse to be convinced that they're worth using for a reason. Try to figure out why. As for Holy Bowmen, Raven Strike looks like it suffers from the same issue that Sure Strike did in Sacred Stones - between their high skill and bows' high hit, I'd be hard-pressed to find a situation where it'd actually be a big help for them short of being on the wrong end of Bowbreaker (which isn't to say that it can't be useful - just that it's better used by other classes).

True Blades have pretty good avoid and a WTA against bows.

I'd agree that the S rank weapons alone are not worth only using one weapon type (you only get them late game and without arms scroll usage, you may be unable to use them) but the difference between this game and ones prior is the sheer diversity in weapons options. No weapon except for Iron hur hur is good 100% of the time so you're encouraged to use more.

Let's compare a Hero and True Blade. On a no grind run, we'll be generous and say that the Hero has A rank Sword and C rank Axe, compared to the True Blade S rank Sword.

What niche axes would be better for the Hero that can't already be supplied by swords? Hammer? Killer Axe? There are sword equivalents. This isn't to say Heroes aren't as good (I'd still rather have a hammer because of a probable WTA) but "crippling overspecialization" isn't as bad as you make it sound.

Again, I can see where you're coming from in some respects, but I don't see why I'd want 5 of one weapon type instead of using one of those slots for a healing item or something. Anyways, I think that the extra options that come with a new weapon type outweigh whatever the specialized classes get.

EDIT:

True Blades have pretty good avoid and a WTA against bows.

That slipped my mind because they're both from the same faction, and you don't get any Bowmen on Conquest, where Trueblades would actually be relevant as enemy units.