General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

This isn’t gonna end quickly huh...

That wasn't in the last few minutes, bit over 90 actually.

However, this kind of behaviour from the police is exactly why it won't end soon.

7 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

Trump deserves life sentences up the ass in a maximum-security prison after what he's done. He's literally tearing the country apart.

I'm not sure if being an idiot on social media is grounds for imprisonment.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't usually post here, but... Well, I just want to say, my heart goes out to anyone here who lives in DC. Or, you know what? In the US in general. This is a disgrace. At this point the best I can hope for is that this is resolved quickly and that as few people as possible lose their lives to this disaster.

Don't really have much of substance to say. Just... I feel so sorry for you, Americans.

Thanks, but it feels that these things are going to be an regular occurrence for quite a while.

33 minutes ago, Crysta said:

i know it sounds like we're exaggerating but we're really, really not

Yeah, we're screwed with an work ethic like this.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So they're declaring secession? Yes! Try seceding! Do it. We all know secession is evil and in a few weeks the new President backed by a clear majority of the American people will be able to put down with the military the existential threat we know cannot be allowed to endure. I give my approval for a Second Reconstruction if that is unfortunately necessary to remedy the underlying ills that allowed for such terrible violence in the first place.

-As if. That kind of thinking, that of someone who would like a childlike notion of Good vs. Evil to be played out as a simple, easily won battle, after which all is happily ever after in the real world, is as it sounds. A total fiction. This ain't going to be as "easy" as the Civil War.

Well, I heard that people are getting dumber nowadays, in terms of political activism. Never figured that it'll be this bad.

Honestly if all they're doing is blowing steam without causing any real damage or change, they're not worth the trouble. All it does is show the world how ineffectual their cause is.

2 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Honestly if all they're doing is blowing steam without causing any real damage or change, they're not worth the trouble. All it does is show the world how ineffectual their cause is.

Trespassing, reports of injuries, some really disturbing imagery. . .please read the past few pages, this is hardly "blowing steam".

They broke at least one window in order to get inside the building.

Something something...

So hardly just "blowing steam"...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

56 minutes ago, Crysta said:

i know it sounds like we're exaggerating but we're really, really not

We all know exactly why the police are being soft, lazy, and handling this protest differently compared to protests a few months ago. These protesters are white. That is why they have been given such wide latitude to do whatever the fuck they want. If these protesters were black and/or have lots of minorities in them, I will bet my entire bank account that the police would have been much more trigger happy to spray rubber bullets into the crowd and beating the shit out of people's asses.

Edited by XRay

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They broke at least one window in order to get inside the building.

Were those people in all that gear who climbed in after him supposed to be law enforcement? They just stood there while he smashed the windows until he actually went in, possibly the ones just saying don’t go in. That wouldn’t have happened with other protests...

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

. . .and there we have it.  Someone's died at their hands.

Fuck, it's Charlottesville all over again.

25 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

As others have said, they broke into the Capitol, armed and angry. In threatening the political process and those involved (even the ones whom I can't stand) like this, they threaten the whole democratic process. What good is my vote, if my elected representatives can't debate without fearing for their lives?

Oh, to look at this moment and realize, slyly at that, that my personal decision to leave the US years ago has proven to be a wise one

I hope that if there's anyone in this forum who lives in and around the DC area, that they'd be okay (incidentally, it'll be interesting to watch DJ Stone, Esq--the LegalEagle guy--and his take on this). Here's to hoping that those who incited this event, those who have been stirring the pot for months on end, would have their reckoning.

I'm of a few minds on this. While I'm usually sympathetic to political protests and riots*, I am absolutely NOT IMPRESSED OR REMOTELY SYMPATHETIC WITH THIS. But I am annoyed, specifically at the police. I'm black and seeing the treatment of those brave enough to protest last year in New York, Seattle, DC, and various other parts of the US made my blood boil. And yet, here clear threats and domestic terrorists are able to loiter, riot, and kill a woman while the police impose lockdown oh so politely. Where was all of the teargas? Where's the footage of gas masks being ripped off and youth being pepper-sprayed? Where is all of the riot-gear and completely unnecessary force? Oh, wait, we know why it's not here. 

Who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong and all those present will be arrested en-masse and charged as domestic terrorists. But I doubt it. 

Now to what this means in politics, that's a little more...something. Republicans will clearly split from this far-right group forming, but the long-term damage has been done. Pence may call for the 25th tomorrow. (Frankly he probably should have called for it weeks ago, if not months ago, but we're past that.) It's not as though he and Trump haven't split ways yet, and it may salvage his political career and even give him a platform to run on in 2024. 

US Politics have been skating on melting ice for a long time. It's not just cracks forming right now, it's whole sections of the rink melting, and the one in charge is coming in with a flamethrower (as if anyone is surprised he's going full scorched earth). There's a chance to fix this, but it requires more than simply waiting two weeks and bipartisan compromise. 

*I find that many protests and riots can be linked to an underlying cause or tension. They're usually symptoms of a greater problem, which is why I don't like it when people have a blanket statement on riots. 

52 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

God damn. Not only did Confederate traitors infiltrated the Capitol, terrorists also shot and killed an American today.

The latest news update said that the woman was a pro Trump rioter.

Edited by XRay

Wow. Someone actually died because they of this. Wow. I had this long, scathing post typed out that I have decided this probably isn’t the place for so I will just say this: Trump and the lucky domestic terrorists who got off because they’re white should be ashamed of themselves, and I wish the best for that woman’s family. They absolutely did not deserve this atrocity, and get my sympathy. I’m not very religious, but I think I’ll pray for them and for our country to recover from this massive divide.