General US Politics

Ansem

If the new debate rules aren't just "Trump gets shot every time he interrupts", then it's not going to matter. If they cut his mic, he'll just shout louder.

Even then, I doubt Trump would remain silent while bleeding out all over the stage.

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't watch any of the debates because I don't get off on fascist manifestos like your average historian does. The Stand Back and Stand By comment is quite terrifying, I won't downplay it. But the quote that most surprised me is Biden saying "Antifa is an idea not an organization".

Whoa. That's MY dog whistle. My ears are PERKED. I know the context is technically quoting somebody else, but it's still stated frankly. There is no centrist or "both sides" debate being suggested behind that statement. It's not something an "establishment dem" would ever say in a debate where candidates must check their "radicalisms" at the door.

9 hours ago, indigoasis said:

If those kinds of groups end up actually watching over the polls, wouldn't that seriously deter people from voting? Unless there are police to keep those groups away (which either wouldn't happen or wouldn't work), I wouldn't want to go out and vote if it means I might get my teeth kicked in for voting for someone they don't like.

That's the point. They're framing it as keeping our elections secure to make sure things are fair in the context (voter fraud) in which the data shows this really doesn't happen. Now when it comes to election interference from Russia and China, that's basically let off free as the Senate has struck down any such bill meant to fight back against that. Trump's the criminal clown taking the spotlight and trying to hold power so he doesn't go to jail but the real politician that's getting what he wants out of this presidency is Mitch McConnell.

In the debate, Trump actually attacked Biden and Obama for leaving so many court vacancies. The Trump base will eat that shit up as the former administration being incompetent and lazy or whatever derogatory way they want to look at it but this was actually McConnell's doing as he had hoped the next president would be a Republican he could use to fill the court with conservative judges more likely to favor the rich. McConnell loves Citizens United and the notion of money having greater voting power.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

11 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I won't watch any of the debates because I don't get off on fascist manifestos like your average historian does. The Stand Back and Stand By comment is quite terrifying, I won't downplay it. But the quote that most surprised me is Biden saying "Antifa is an idea not an organization".

Whoa. That's MY dog whistle. My ears are PERKED. I know the context is technically quoting somebody else, but it's still stated frankly. There is no centrist or "both sides" debate being suggested behind that statement. It's not something an "establishment dem" would ever say in a debate where candidates must check their "radicalisms" at the door.

I loved how Biden responded to "Law & Order" with "Law & Order & Justice and being treated fairly" or something. He definitely understands.

Was he quoting someone else? Trump was basically attacking antifa and told Biden to talk them down if Trump was going to talk down nazis. Biden's basically like "they're not an organization, bro." I heard that and went like "Oh, thank god" honestly so I see what you mean.

EDIT: THAT FUCKER TRUMP! Biden was quoting the FBI Director yes! I had to read the transcript to figure it out. But Trump wouldn't shut the fuck up. And Biden is correct.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:07 PM, Tryhard said:

I wasn't expecting anything else, but Trump mocking Biden's son for drug addiction after he was just talking about his other dead son was also very low. As if the opioid crisis doesn't exist under Trump and such addictions don't affect a lot of families with at least someone they know. Trump's own brother died from alcoholism, you think he should actually maybe give a fuck. That is, if he did care about anyone other than himself.

Here's hoping Biden's compassion in depending his son resonates with people. I actually cried a bit when I listen to podcasts that mentioned that moment, because if this piece of shit attacks your son and you say you love your son for overcoming everything he's gone through and all his mistakes and he's proud of his son.

If the Trump kids had any shred of humanity, they would turn on Trump now too, to be honest. (Spoiler: they don't).

Biden largely avoided bad soundbites, too. I look forward to the Town Hall.

Edited by Lord Raven

Update: It's going over about as well as you'd think

he needs to pull close enough to biden to contest the election (though he'll probably try regardless) but that will require showing up and actually behaving and i don't know if he's even capable of doing that lol

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And suddenly, it's 2018 all over again.

Prepare for this to be politicised all over again, maybe.

Hopefully somebody tells them that the US is currently in pandemic-induced poverty before they get here and realize they traveled all this way for nothing.

26 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Update: It's going over about as well as you'd think

he needs to pull close enough to biden to contest the election (though he'll probably try regardless) but that will require showing up and actually behaving and i don't know if he's even capable of doing that lol

Which move in Trump's 4D chess game is this? I don't remember seeing "Piss all over the debate stage like a baby and then get angry that everyone saw" in the playbook.

Edited by Slumber

4 hours ago, Crysta said:

since he's in a Fox-induced bubble and surrounded by sycophants, he genuinely thought he hit it out of the park

Except of course, it isn't his money/business, it is the United States.  

Despite everything, I do sincerely hope he can recover. A victory over Pence would mean very little. Fascism must lose, not forfeit. Still, I can't deny that this would be the most poetically justified end for such a horrid man. I'm just not willing to pop the champagne at this news.

Equally important, he may have contracted the virus as early as several days ago, including the day in which he debated with Biden. And said debate was in front of his kids (apparently in the front row) or when he was in proximity to the next supreme court justice. I'm hoping this news isn't just the first of several confirmed linked cases to the president. We don't have enough hydroxychloroquine for that. Maybe if we just...inject bleach into the bloodstream? *turns to nearby doctor* would that work?

Sorry even I can't hold back some contemptuous comments.

A victory over Pence would mean a lot, and it is much easier to beat him than Trump.  It would mean are country can recover and head in the right direction.  

Trump is a horrible man, I mean historically monstrous as a person.  Many thousands died that didn't need to because of how he handled Covid, and not cause of him making accidental blunders, he ignored the CDC and corrupted them.  

That's just terrible news and I caution anyone against gloating about it. 

Trump dying is about the worst outcome there is. It gives his deranged cult an out. They will be able to claim that Trump would have done great things if he had not tragically died. And due to the death being very tragic the general public might focus more on that then the many terrible things Trump said and did. His flaws will be minimized and the focus will be on his untimely death. Trump will be a martyr to his base, someone who could have made everything great if he hadn't died too soon. This will only make his base more likely to support the next demagogue.

Trump's death would also deny America the chance to reject him in the election. This is a critical step of returning to normal and America not being able to reject their demagogue is going to be very unhealthy. Trump's defeat could have been a victory of democracy over politicians like Trump but if Trump dies America will never get the chance to have this victory. 

And considering Trump's age and unhealthy lifestyle its not unthinkable for this to be fatal. 

Even less damning scenarios will be problematic. Trump might even get sympathy votes for this. And remember that he was in the same room as Biden for quite a while. If Trump has corona then there is a real chance Biden has it as well. 

It's not 'unthinkable', but it's unlikely. He has access to the best care in the world and so far it he hasn't been symptomatic. I'd say his outlook is pretty good even with his poor health.

But who knows. Covid has a habit of going south very quickly. I'm just not wishcasting nor very worried.

Could also be that Trump steps down due to illness, with Pence assuming the presidency to pardon him. Perhaps he believes he is no longer capable of winning reelection, and this will  be his next course.

1 minute ago, Excellen Browning said:

It's state prosecutors that are after Trump, the presidential pardon power only applies to federal crimes.

Are we sure he knows that, though? He already believes presidential power is limitless.

Just now, Excellen Browning said:

If he didn't know, or at least his advisors didn't know, he would have pardoned himself already.

Fair point, but it does often seem like he knows something, and then forgets a bunch of it shortly after.