Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Spinoffs can be a mixed bag (with Zelda and FE on the high end, Arslan and Berserk on the low end), but they are always worth checking out if you are a Musuo fan. They represent the real variety in this genre, because Omega Force can't just recycle their existing assets like they do with the mainline games. And these spinoffs always bring something mechanically interesting and thematically appropriate to the table.

On that note: All-Out Attacks would probably be a real spectacle in a Musou game... Like allowing you to clear out a base in an instant, if they do go for the Empires-esque base conquering gameplay the other spin-offs had. I don't see why they wouldn't, because it's a nice way to spice things up and make maps more engaging. All-Stars (which is currently my favourite Musou game) had it, FE had it, Hyrule had it. I don't know about Arslan, Pirate, or Berserk since I've never played those before, but I imagine them to be similar in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On that note: All-Out Attacks would probably be a real spectacle in a Musou game... Like allowing you to clear out a base in an instant, if they do go for the Empires-esque base conquering gameplay the other spin-offs had. I don't see why they wouldn't, because it's a nice way to spice things up and make maps more engaging. All-Stars (which is currently my favourite Musou game) had it, FE had it, Hyrule had it. I don't know about Arslan, Pirate, or Berserk since I've never played those before, but I imagine them to be similar in that regard.

I don't remember Arslan having team musuo attacks (maybe it did?), but it achieved similar massive devastation through thematically appropriate contextual cavalry charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I was done with Warrior games after finishing FE Warriors several months ago but it looks like Persona 5 Scramble is going to drag me back into another 500 hour long game. And it is on Switch too, nice. Hopefully there are playable characters outside the Persona 5 bunch, at least from Persona 4 and Persona 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I don't remember Arslan having team musuo attacks (maybe it did?), but it achieved similar massive devastation through thematically appropriate contextual cavalry charges.

I actually meant the base-conquering gameplay that is in every spin-off, not the team musou attacks. My bad! As far as I know, Hyrule Warriors also doesn't have team musous, and All-Stars has team skills, but no team musou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, to get to one of the most important questions that will be asked of Scramble- how large is the roster going to be?:dry:

If I have P5 right, you've 9 playable characters, excluding Futaba and factoring in the new Royal girl and Mitsuhide Goron. That sounds rather small for a Musou-like experience. Unless they go for swappable and equippable Personae that significantly change things up.

So who else could they add?

  • The villains? From what little I know, I doubt that would be the case, they don't seem popular enough for that. And playing as Kamoshida would be pretty twisted although a few might get laughs from having Shido slap Goro.
  • OCs? I'd expect at least one playable OC, but probably not more than say 3. Not enough for most to make the roster "sufficiently" large.
  • The Velvet Room attendants? I mean there probably are Elizabeth fans who'd rave to play as her, but have they ever been playable?

 

And then there is the final, BIG option:

3 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Hopefully there are playable characters outside the Persona 5 bunch, at least from Persona 4 and Persona 3.

P3 and P4 combined would add, what, 17 additional characters? -Excluding the navigators and adding in P3 FeMC.

That would one short of tripling the roster to 26. Which sounds too large for the first Musou of a given series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So, to get to one of the most important questions that will be asked of Scramble- how large is the roster going to be?:dry:

If I have P5 right, you've 9 playable characters, excluding Futaba and factoring in the new Royal girl and Mitsuhide Goron. That sounds rather small for a Musou-like experience. Unless they go for swappable and equippable Personae that significantly change things up.

It's apparently by the DQ Heroes team working on it. In addition, it's being billed as an Action RPG.

Those two things, I believe, are important here.

DQHeroes is apparantely far more different from the norm than other musou crossovers, being more of a tower-defense deal with a skill grind and so on.
In addition, both DQ Heroes games have 4 OCs-- and the first one had only 9 characters besides them.

While not exact, I do think that's the direction things will go: it'll just be the Persona 5 cast (though I do expect Futaba, as Ultimax made Rise playable) with multiple OCs padding things out, and a greater focus on gameplay mechanics divergent from normal musou faire.

If we get any bonus characters it'd probably just be Yu and maybe P3 Makoto.

Edited by The DanMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small roster sizes aren't a bother for me if the characters that exist are fun to play and aren't clones.
All-Stars had 30 characters in all, which is enough for a game like this, really. So long as the game is fun to play and the characters have unique movesets, I don't mind the roster being small. I really don't need over 100 characters if I'm only ever using a few of them, and am actively encouraged by the game to do so.
If the story mode is going to be anything like DW8XL that already splits its large roster into five different parts, some characters would get the shaft in terms of availability, anyway (R.I.P. Xiahou Ba, Xiaoqiao, Daqiao, Bao Sanniang, Guan Ping, & Sun Jian).

I can only see a smaller roster size as a positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think roster size/clones should be series specific. 

 

Fire Emblem would benefit more from a huge roster full of clones. I think they should have gone even further with it. More characters and fewer unique sword movesets. Because that's how the series itself is.

 

Persona and Zelda benefit from small rosters with fully unique characters, because that's how they are. 

 

I'm expecting all of the phantom thieves minus Futaba to be playable. Maybe the spoiler as well. Probably 1-2 OCs. Maybe the Persona 5R character, but doubtful.

 

Not expecting any P3 or P4 characters. The game is pretty explicitly labeled as P5 Scramble.

Edited by Etheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Persona Warriors is not the Warriors game I asked for or particularly desired, but I'll probably pick it up with an open mind. I'm of the belief the Warriors formula can work with pretty much everything. Zelda and Warriors wasn't a particularly good fit either but it worked fantastically when put into practice. No reason it can't work for Persona.  

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The villains? From what little I know, I doubt that would be the case, they don't seem popular enough for that. And playing as Kamoshida would be pretty twisted

I think its safe to assume minor villains like Madarama and the mafia boss won't make it into the game. That said I'd be very surprised if Shido and pancakes-kun don't make it into the playable roster. I could see Kamoshida not making it into the game due to it being really awkward but I'd say he's very deserving to make it as a playable character. While the most minor of villains as far as the conspiracy goes Kamoshido does set the tone for the game and has an Impact second only to Shido and Pancakes-kun.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two characters and their own storylines do come to mind for representing Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Mitsuru could be cooperating with the police as part of the Shadow Operatives to look into the Phantom Thieves, and starts having doubts about the police's narrative. And she decides to start looking for answers herself.

Naoto on the other hand has been looking into the mental shutdowns and the Phantom thieves as well, and is acting on her own. She is starting to ask questions due to her curiosity in what she regards as irregularities with Akechi's "solutions" in his cases, and end up stumbling onto what the police has been trying to conceal from the former Detective Prince. If I go even further, not having her in Persona 5 proper was a huge mistake, storywise - because I'm having a hard time believing that Naoto could complacently leave Akechi as her successor when Akechi ends up shitting on the "Detective Prince" title.

I actually wish the above two will make it into the story and explore their interactions with the PT and the Conspiracy.

Edited by henrymidfields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Etheus said:

Not expecting any P3 or P4 characters. The game is pretty explicitly labeled as P5 Scramble.

We also had a Persona game titled Persona 4 Arena yet there were characters from Persona 3 in it.

Yet, if what everyone else is saying about a small roster ends up being true I can see it just being the Phantom Thieves plus Akechi (since the Japanese seem to love him), new girl from P5R and at least one or two OC characters added just for this game. Maybe the twin wardens as well. I can still see at least the Protagonists from Persona 3 and 4 being added in as secret characters you unlock for beating story mode or as DLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Etheus said:

Maybe the Persona 5R character, but doubtful.

Royal has a release date and this game doesn't.

It's almost certainly going to include Kasumi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

We also had a Persona game titled Persona 4 Arena yet there were characters from Persona 3 in it.

Yet, if what everyone else is saying about a small roster ends up being true I can see it just being the Phantom Thieves plus Akechi (since the Japanese seem to love him), new girl from P5R and at least one or two OC characters added just for this game. Maybe the twin wardens as well. I can still see at least the Protagonists from Persona 3 and 4 being added in as secret characters you unlock for beating story mode or as DLC.

There’s also the tricky thing that Persona spinoffs end up being canon, so some characters that’d be cool from the others might not even be plausible due to story continuity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may as well link this creation of mine to give my thoughts/roster prediction: 
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/262892-persona-5-scramble-the-phantom-strikers/77676049

Unrelated, but interestingly the Switch board has more topics than the PS4 one (and only one of them is bitching). Albeit it's only a ratio of 3 to 12, I think it's something worth noting for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jedi said:

There’s also the tricky thing that Persona spinoffs end up being canon, so some characters that’d be cool from the others might not even be plausible due to story continuity.

Does that really matter though? You can still be playable but not be present in the story mode portion. For example Adachi is a playable character in Persona 4 Dancing All Night despite having nothing to do with the game's story and for Musou games Lyn and Celica are playable in Fire Emblem Warriors but you can't unlock them until you do other things well after story mode is finished. I could see Atlus maybe wanting at least one character from Persona 3/4 in order to entice fans of those games to buy Scramble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Does that really matter though? You can still be playable but not be present in the story mode portion. For example Adachi is a playable character in Persona 4 Dancing All Night despite having nothing to do with the game's story and for Musou games Lyn and Celica are playable in Fire Emblem Warriors but you can't unlock them until you do other things well after story mode is finished. I could see Atlus maybe wanting at least one character from Persona 3/4 in order to entice fans of those games to buy Scramble.

We can’t use those as examples, it’s a different Koei team handling this than the others.

Atlus might step in sure, but I don’t see the other games getting much if anything at this current point in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 12:18 PM, Jedi said:

There’s also the tricky thing that Persona spinoffs end up being canon, so some characters that’d be cool from the others might not even be plausible due to story continuity.

Although from what I know of Persona Q and Q2, they use a cop-out at the end to be canon but not affecting anything- memory wipes of everyones' entire experiences in the labyrinths right before they return to their home worlds. Except for the Velvet Room attendees I think.

I doubt Scramble will likewise fry brains though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although from what I know of Persona Q and Q2, they use a cop-out at the end to be canon but not affecting anything- memory wipes of everyones' entire experiences in the labyrinths right before they return to their home worlds. Except for the Velvet Room attendees I think.

I doubt Scramble will likewise fry brains though.

Then you have Persona 4 Arena which continues peoples storylines from 3 (and quite a few people didn't like how those turned out, but loved the gameplay)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The new trailer for Persona Scramble came out and apparently its more than just a Warriors game. I'm seeing exploration in both the Metaverse and the real world, sneaking around and....platforming!?

 

Looking cool, Joker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the corrupt police still haven't reformed. Here's hoping that Naoto, Mitsuru, and Detective Kurosawa will make an appearance and at least explain their absence in P5 proper (which was a missed opportunity for the story), as well as have their take on the police (and adults in general) explored.

You know what? I wonder if I should do a P3P-P4-P4A-P4U-P4D-P5-P5S part-fanfic LP similar to what I did with Fates Conquest and write the P5 arc as how would the story have happened if Naoto/Mitsuru were actually involved...

Edited by henrymidfields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a pretty neat new trailer out. Something to note with possible spoilers below. 

Some things to note

-Makoto's fighting style has her ride her motor cycle Persona. Probably akin to how Xander rides his pony.

- The shady male police officer seems to be an ally. There's also an old lady police officer who likely isn't. The male officer seems significantly less impressive and more dorky in the real world. 

- Brainwashed Joker

-There's a witch hunt against the thieves and their identities are probably exposed. We see them hiding while angry locals loot their van.

-There are bondage....carrots. No really.

-The bosses might be symbols of corruption. One boss probably represents gluttony while the boss with the weird bondage carrots might represent lust. 

-Akechi is most definitely back. There's a gold statue overlooking a city and while they try playing coy about it by showing the statue's back its clearly Akechi.

- Rivers in the desert is likely in the game since its in the trailer

 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...