Character Popularity Poll Results

Minischew

90% of what I've heard about Nohr!Kamui was that they're utterly terrible. Even still, different people like different things, so whatever floats your boat.

Well, people are more likely to complain about things than praise them, so I'm not surprised, tbh. I know I'm not the only one who likes Kamui but doesn't have the time/patience/even temper to barge into those 'Nohr!Kam is utterly terrible' discussions and argue against it. A neutral question like you posed is one thing, but if the discussion starts negative or heads that way fast, it doesn't exactly encourage people to run in with their praises.

Eh, it is what it is, though. Tbh, I'm not really trusting any majority opinion or opinion as the majority (beyond the Japanese opinion on the Japanese game) until the game's localized and everyone has easy access to the same material.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how Owain and Inigo managed to maintain popularity in this game, while Gaius completely tanks. Considering they were three of the four most popular guys in Awakening (and as Chrom isn't available in the poll to compare), you'd think it'd be more consistent. Severa, Cordelia, and Tharja all are around the lower end of the ranks on the girls' side.

TBH, I really wish they didn't bring over Awakening characters to Fates. I know I'll be benching them for sure, because I want a fresh experience.

Well, if you look into Japan, for males, "bishonen" characters usually tend to be far more popular in Japan than in America (one of the reasons why Leo and Takumi is in the top ten male characters), whereas "manly" characters such as Arthur would receive much better reputation in America. Likewise, "little sister"/loli characters have a tendency to be well-liked in Japan (which can explain Elise's and Sakura's placement in the top ten), but these kind of characters usually hated within the American fanbase, usually because of strong pedophilic and incest implications and is often flatout seen as very sexist (in fact, Nowi from Awakening got a lot of disdain and hatred since she's a viable marriage option. Not to mention that Black Bullet was one of the most hated spring 2014 anime). Apparently, that goes the same for any female character that has "kawaii" appeal (especially the maids like Felicia and Flora where females in maid outfits are quite popular in Japan), but is seen as misogynist in some feminist circles.

Personally, I was surprised that Midoriko and Mozume is ranked far lower than I expected (I was expecting both to be ranked around #10-#17) because I thought these two characters would be the characters that the Japanese would see them as "cute" (in addition their "nice girl" personalities, which also adds into the cuteness factor for the Japanese). I also wasn't surprised that most of the children characters ended up ranking lower since they weren't given much personalities in this game (apparently, this is something Nintendo of America need to keep note off when localizing Fates in America).

Keep in mind that there are huge pop culture differences between America and Japan, and if Nintendo of America were to pull some similar poll, there probably would be numerous difference in character favorites (for starters, Sakura and Elise probably wouldn't make it into the top 10 females). Also, localization changes play a factor in character popularity differences. For example, if it wasn't for Nintendo of America's clever characterization change on Gregor and Henry, these two characters probably wouldn't gotten some recognition or popularity in America.

Edited by Dark Paladin X

Femui being number 1 didn't surprise me much, to be honest. She's really popular in Japan from what I've seen.

Mm, thinking on it, she is the most frequently fan art-ed female, and the gap between her and Camilla and Oboro is noticeable.

Edited by blinkingbrave

I'm surprised that Flora did extremely well for a Kamuisexual, given that pretty much all the others wound up near the bottom, except Asura.

She got a lot more attention than the other Kamuisexuals, though. She's even on the box art.

I was pretty shocked she placed higher than Felicia, though.

Also, localization changes play a factor in character popularity differences. For example, if it wasn't for Nintendo of America's clever characterization change on Gregor and Henry, these two characters probably wouldn't gotten some recognition or popularity in America.

Gregor I can agree with, Henry's changes on the other hand were largely unneeded and are kind of dumb in hindsight, but eh whatever floats peoples boats.

Wow, I just realized that Takumi and Oboro are the most popular Hoshidan characters. That's quite … interesting.

Edited by Sunwoo

I'm actually honestly surprised by how the poll turned out. F!Kamui being first was something I really, really did not expect.

And Hana only 21st? I guess I really have a knack for picking unpopular characters as my favourites *goes to cry in a corner*

Well, at least Kaze got voted pretty high, so that's good.

But really: F!Kamui getting 1st place? Not even f!Robin was ranked that high back in Awakening. I personally don't mind, however, seeing as how I think that f!Kamui is overall better designed than f!Robin. Sadly, selfcest still isn't a thing in these games (just kidding)

Also surprising: none of the children save Eponine are in the top ten. I think Awakening had some of the children in the top ten, like Lucina and Severa.

Also, Jakob. Why? Just why? The dude is a complete a**hole to anyone that isn't Kamui. I mean, yeah, whatever floats your boat, I guess, but... urgh.

And Leon and Takumi in high places is not at all surprising, even though I really wonder what exactly it is that makes these two so popular. Though I gotta admit, Fates seems to have the least amount of likeable male characters (save for Sacred Stones) in any Fire Emblem game so far, so... Leon and Takumi seem like decent enough guys, although I would have put Ryoma, Nishiki, Flannel, Saizou and Kaze higher than them, but this isn't about me. It's about everyone in the fanbase (meaning all of us) and if you like them, more power to you. :-)

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but one reason I did not like Orochi was after I read her supports with Saizou and Takumi. Unless my memory fails me, she just seemed inconsiderate in those supports - doing things that they didn't like even when they told her to knock it off. I'm not cool with people like that. But that said, I don't think I expected her to be dead last in the women's poll either.

Hi Thane.

I generally don't like to accuse others of "shit taste" because that would be conceited, but ugh... some of these results. They're both predictable and surprising in some areas. The royals getting the top slots was the biggest "duh" factor, and I wish they'd just exclude them and give the other characters a chance to shine. Femui getting the top slot... I don't know how Foleo and Eponine got so high. And the only 1st gen, non Kamui-sexual that Flannel and Nishiki beat was... f***ing Tsukuyomi!? asjasdhfjksadasdns

But Oboro ranked in the top 3 (even accounting for not being a main character) so I am pleased. I wonder if the royals would have ranked so high if they weren't marriageable. I think favorites are more influenced by shippers than anything else.

So the top 3 non-royal (non Awakening) characters from each side:

1. Joker

2. Zero

3. Suzukaze

1. Oboro

2. Flora

3. Charlotte

Not bad I suppose. Hopefully future content will give them a chance.

Edited by NekoKnight

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but one reason I did not like Orochi was after I read her supports with Saizou and Takumi. Unless my memory fails me, she just seemed inconsiderate in those supports - doing things that they didn't like even when they told her to knock it off. I'm not cool with people like that. But that said, I don't think I expected her to be dead last in the women's poll either.

Hi Thane.

I agree that she goes a bit far with it at times, but I always interpreted it as her just wanting to make people a bit flustered. It's not really meant to be malicious on her part, she just sometimes misses the line between playful teasing and outright rudeness. As someone who has unintentionally flown past the line myself at times, I can relate to that. It's a pity that there isn't a support where she really gets called out on it. I assume she would actually feel bad for it once she realized she went too far. Maybe it's some kind of defense mechanism she developed as a result of being looked at with suspicion for her position as royal spellcaster. Or maybe it's just how she is. Otherwise she has got a lot of charm and the relationships she has with Kagerou and really almost all of the Hoshidans feel very deep and caring.

Anyway I really like her as a character, so I am very disappointed by her placement in the poll.

Interesting how Owain and Inigo managed to maintain popularity in this game, while Gaius completely tanks. Considering they were three of the four most popular guys in Awakening (and as Chrom isn't available in the poll to compare), you'd think it'd be more consistent. Severa, Cordelia, and Tharja all are around the lower end of the ranks on the girls' side.

TBH, I really wish they didn't bring over Awakening characters to Fates. I know I'll be benching them for sure, because I want a fresh experience.

I think the method of their return explains that pretty easily. Owain and Inigo are in Fates. Gaius isn't, you just have this "Gray" lookalike trying to hog his popularity. Look at how Shara is less popular than Luna now too. It's pretty clear that people react differently to actual returning characters and lookalikes.

Sadly, selfcest still isn't a thing in these games (just kidding)

But there's this...

X and Y's bond has blown life into the earth…

1443377768928_zpsua0wz0t6.png

Edited by NeonZ

Silly how Takumi fangirls want to bully him, but when Orochi playfully teases him she gets last place :V But I guess it's a valid reason for disliking her, her insistence.

Takumi's fangirls want to bully him? That's...weird. Where does that come from?

Aw, I was hoping Zero would rank higher. Well maybe he'll still get some special attention and a CG, maybe. (I really wish the Kamuis hadn't been a voting option- cause what the heck would they do extra for them in DLC, they'll be there and centerstage regardless)

Edited by Damosel

Aw, I was hoping Zero would rank higher. Well maybe he'll still get some special attention and a CG, maybe. (I really wish the Kamuis hadn't been a voting option- cause what the heck would they do extra for them in DLC, they'll be there and centerstage regardless)

He's the most popular Nohr exclusive non royal character in contrast to Oboro being the most popular Hoshido exclusive non royal character. If he's skipped out just because the royals were obvious shoe ins at being higher than most of the cast (like Chrom and Lucina) that's just going to be so lame (especially considering Zero's voice actor is the same one who did Lon'qu and we know he didn't get his special DLC despite being in 4th place).

It really should just be all of the 8 royals (because skipping out on Sakura would be pretty weird), Joker and Azura (because both of them join no matter what) and Oboro and Zero. I mean the cast is overall larger by 20+ characters for goodness sakes.

Edited by AbsoluteZer0Nova

The Royals already had two DLC just for themselves, one of them with those Scramble-like illustrations. I think IS already knew that they'd mostly win a popularity poll like this, otherwise that would make no sense. If they're just going to make a Scramble 2.0 rather than something original, the scenes with illustrations should focus on non-Royal characters.

Edited by NeonZ

It really should just be all of the 8 royals (because skipping out on Sakura would be pretty weird), Joker and Azura (because both of them join no matter what) and Oboro and Zero. I mean the cast is overall larger by 20+ characters for goodness sakes.

This is what I want. I'd love to have more dlc for my favorite royals, but I also want dlc for Jakob and Zero. It would work out well, too. You get two neutrals and one non-royal character each for Nohr and Hoshido, plus the royals for each route. People are worried that Hoshido would get shafted since its characters didn't do as well. It would be fair this way.

Yeah... I second that list. Skipping the royals doesn't seem like a good idea, and I kinda doubt they're going to do it. We all knew this was going to dictate DLC, and I doubt the fact that F!Kamui's five most popular ships occupy the top five (ignoring M!Kamui of course) is coincidence.

Not to mention if you ignore the Hoshidan royals, you have to dip allll the way down into fifteenth place on both lists before you find a Hoshidan other than Oboro. And the most that Awakening poll had to skip was one person, with everyone still being in the top ten.

Any rate, maybe they'll split it up somehow to give some non-royals (other than Joker and Azura, who also look like shoe-ins) attention. I just... don't see them cutting the male royals (and thus have no reason to cut the female royals) to do so. Though the idea of giving focus to someone other than the royals is nice in theory, I'm sure I'm not the only one buying the DLC if and only if a particular royal is in it.

Edited by blinkingbrave