Worst personal skill?

Flareblade

I feel like at least ONE of the worst personal skills is Dwyer's Born Steward. It's useless outside of castle invasions and battles against other players. What's your opinion on the worst personal skill?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwyer's skill may be only be activated on castle battles,, but it can be pretty useful when it's used.

There are units with much worse personal skills than Dwyer, like Saizo and Selena.

It's almost impossible for Selena's skill to be activated, and Saizo's is just plain bad, especially on a fragile class like ninja.

Edited by Water Mage

Arthur. Misfortunate gets the dubious honour of being one of the few personal skills that's actually detrimental to the user. That's followed by Dwyer.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Arthur's is very bad because of reasons stated. Selena's is just...stupid. Dwyer's, unless you do a lot of post-game and online shenanigans, you arent ever gonna have a use for that.

There are alot of personal skills that are extremely situational and useless. half the kids are dumb,

Selena's require her ally to crit for her personal to activate as well,

Nyx's personal is useless as she can't survive a hit in the first place,

EDIT: I actually like Arthur's personal skill? He reduces all enemies's critical evade near him by 15 which is cool. Sure it affects him too but by only 5. It's still useful as an aura skill for all your allies to go batshit on the enemies with crits. He just needs a couple of goddess icons cus of his no luck to reduce critical evade.

Edited by ChocolaChao

For my Saizo , Felicia, Gunther and Jacob ( the last 3 must have avatar as lead partner and it doesn't work with other units)

Honestly Felicia's, Gunter's and Jakob's skill are actually incredibly useful in earlygame Lunatic.

There are a few I have problems with.

In theory, Selena's is amazing; it's two crits in a row! However, I can think of very few situations where an enemy can survive the first crit, so... Well, I wouldn't call it the worst, but it's definitely not among the best, at least to me.

Saizo's would be a beautiful thing if it didn't damage him too. Or if it hit enemies two spaces away. As it stands, however... I can't send this guy into combat when he's below half HP unless I can heal him afterward (which, given Hoshido has the 2-range staves, and Wane Festal and Physic exist, so it's certainly doable while keeping your healer safe with some effort) or protect him from enemy phase attacks. But hey, it doesn't happen during Enemy Phase, that would be horrendous. Overall, yeah, it's not great, but I wouldn't call it the worst either.

Azama's is just hilarious to me. It's a counter that only happens if he's unarmed, which... Well, it has led to comedy kills for me, and Azama certainly has the defense to make use of it, but why he would ever go unarmed is beyond me. Overall, it's pretty much useless once he promoted (unless you let him go around without a weapon for some reason. In which case, why?).

I saw Arthur mentioned here, and no, it's not. It reduces enemy Dodge by quite a bit, while only dropping Arthur's by a third of what it drops enemies for. This is great in two ways. If you don't do anything about Arthur's abysmal starting luck, then he isn't getting dropped by much, while enemies are suffering a much larger drop, so it doesn't hurt him especially much. If you do elect to fix his crap luck with a Goddess Icon or two, then he's still only getting a small drop in his Dodge, so he's less likely to eat a crit than enemies who are near him. And this leads into the biggest point in Arthur's favor, which is that it's a two-space aura of more-likely-to-get-critted. This means enemies don't have to be adjacent to Arthur, so 1-range foes can suffer from Misfortunate while being unable to touch Arthur by just putting him on the other side of a wall, or just putting units between Arthur and enemies. I love this skill.

So, this leaves Dwyer, whose Born Steward is useful only in My Castle (or Someone Else's Castle). I'm sure it's useful there, but in the entire rest of the game, he might as well not have a personal skill. So yeah, it's my pick for the worst.

But that's just my opinion. I don't have any of the children yet, so I dunno much about their skills.

Dwyer.

Selena's isn't the worst to me. The chances of it activating is very, very slim but, at least, it is usable on the off chance that it does. Unlike Dwyer's, which does nothing outside of My Castle battles.

I didn't have any problem with Arthur and Saizou's came in clutch for me while I played.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I saw Arthur mentioned here, and no, it's not. It reduces enemy Dodge by quite a bit, while only dropping Arthur's by a third of what it drops enemies for. This is great in two ways. If you don't do anything about Arthur's abysmal starting luck, then he isn't getting dropped by much, while enemies are suffering a much larger drop, so it doesn't hurt him especially much. If you do elect to fix his crap luck with a Goddess Icon or two, then he's still only getting a small drop in his Dodge, so he's less likely to eat a crit than enemies who are near him. And this leads into the biggest point in Arthur's favor, which is that it's a two-space aura of more-likely-to-get-critted. This means enemies don't have to be adjacent to Arthur, so 1-range foes can suffer from Misfortunate while being unable to touch Arthur by just putting him on the other side of a wall, or just putting units between Arthur and enemies. I love this skill.

That sounds good in theory, but in actual practice, most enemies won't be suffering the full brunt of the crit evade drop, especially later on (most of the ones that DO are either Spear Masters, using crit evade granting weapons, or Zurgs).

For my Saizo , Felicia, Gunther and Jacob ( the last 3 must have avatar as lead partner and it doesn't work with other units)

No way in the seven hells I'd see the ones you mentioned as worse than one that actually makes whoever has it even more of an effing liability than he already is...

Also, I'd mention Charlotte's because a damage and crit boost against a small minority of classes, most of which aren't very hard to take down, doesn't scream "useful" to me.

No way are Arthur or Felicia/Jakob/Gunter's skills the worst, as they give very tangible and useful boosts to your army. Saizo's can also be pretty handy as long as you don't forget about it (like I do...). There are far worse personals than those.

Although I guess Arthur, Saizo, Ignatius and Izana have the (dis)honor of having the only personal skills that don't provide strictly positive benefits.

Some candidates for worst are Severa's and Dwyer's, for reasons already stated. Hisame's Calm seems pretty negligible also, unless you're having him tank mages on the enemy phase I guess. Inigo's Fancy Footwork boost seems pretty small as well, but I'll admit sometimes that one point of Strength and/or Speed can be the difference. And finally, how often does Charlotte's Unmask actually matter?

That sounds good in theory, but in actual practice, most enemies won't be suffering the full brunt of the crit evade drop, even later on (most of the ones that DO are either Spear Masters, using crit evade granting weapons, or Zurgs).

I suppose that's true, though I do have a couple of questions: Why do Spear Masters suffer the full brunt of the drop? Also, what's a Zurg?

Either way, I just don't see Arthur's as making him much of a liability (5 Dodge doesn't feel like all that much), at least not so much as his horrid Luck is.

And in any case, it still gives you something. Dwyer's is still worse to me, since it doesn't even give you anything in a large part of the game.

Also, I kinda wanna mention Izana's, despite never actually having used him. -2 damage to allies in 2 spaces is nice, -2 damage to enemies in 2 spaces, not so much. It's just Sakura's personal, except worse because it's not limited to your team. Mainly I'd nominate it for its redundance (since, as I just said, Sakura has this except better).

And finally, how often does Charlotte's Unmask actually matter?

I forgot about that - female enemies are not only rare, they're mostly not exactly hard to take down.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Balcerzak, April 11, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, April 11, 2016 - No reason given

EDIT: Doh

That sounds good in theory, but in actual practice, most enemies won't be suffering the full brunt of the crit evade drop, especially later on (most of the ones that DO are either Spear Masters, using crit evade granting weapons, or Zurgs).

No way in the seven hells I'd see the ones you mentioned as worse than one that actually makes whoever has it even more of an effing liability than he already is...

Also, I'd mention Charlotte's because a damage and crit boost against a small minority of classes, most of which aren't very hard to take down, doesn't scream "useful" to me.

I don't know, Pegasus and Kinshi Knights are pretty common on the Nohr route and they tend to have enough speed to avoid being doubled/dodge bows. Also if they're left unchecked they can wreck havoc on your squishies.

Honestly my favorite personal skills are the double edged ones like Arthur's or Saizo's. Little things like that can drastically change the way the game is played.

Dwyer's is pretty bad. Though I like how in character it is since it promotes procrastinating in someone else's castle instead of doing the main story.

Selena's is pointless. Half of the time it doesn't even seem to work.

Charlotte and Benny would be way better if they switched personals.