More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

…nor does it change the fact that Roy can't and simply WILL not solo the chapter all by himself as its simply impossible to do that and its not worth even trying.

Is there any lord in the series who actually can solo chapters? Except Sigurd the God Emperor of Jugdralkind of course.

Edited by Vaximillian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any lord in the series who actually can solo chapters? Except Sigurd the God Emperor of Jugdralkind of course.

Ike can solo FE9 hard mode quite easily

it is FE9, though.

I've done both that and Eirika solos (once again, it is FE8, though). Not that difficult if I can do it, but they are generally boring.

Edited by Tryhard

The reason Hard is normally considered before Normal is the enemies are, for obvious reasons, stronger on Hard. While some characters are significantly better on Hard than Normal (Hard mode boosts), everyone else is dealing with tougher enemies. If Roy can get a 100% hit rate on those guys on Hard, I can 100% guarantee he can do the same on Normal (Roy doesn't load as an enemy, so no HM bonuses for him), simply because the enemies on Hard are stronger.

Also this vaguely makes me want to try Roy solo chapter 1 Hard. I've done Roy/Wolt together without the others, but never just Roy.

I doubt I'd be able to do a Wolt Solo though, I like Wolt, but soloing a chapter with a bow user who can't counterattack is simply daunting.

I would totally skip Lyn mode if it wasn't for Sain being there. Because I don't like Lyn or her story much (though that goes without saying since I don't like FE7's story as a whole).

I like Lyn, so I go thru Lyn mode a good deal of times. I do agree that it's poor taste to force a 10 chapter tutorial on the player tho. CURSE YOU JAPAN you lucky dastards

So obviously you mod the chapters to be harder and then Lyn mode is perfect.

I like Lyn, so I go thru Lyn mode a good deal of times. I do agree that it's poor taste to force a 10 chapter tutorial on the player tho. CURSE YOU JAPAN you lucky dastards

Only Japanese players who also played/owned Binding Blade (and a second GBA) got to skip Lyn Normal Mode. Those new to the franchise had to suffer through it, just like us.

So obviously you mod the chapters to be harder and then Lyn mode is perfect.

But then you become Gheb Saga and nobody wants to be Gheb Saga.

Edited by AzureSen

Those complaining about Lyn Mode.....really, you're not seeing the point of it. Its to introduce the series to the western audience. Simply having a tutorial option there to learn how to play the game isn't enough for many players to get the core idea of the game. An example for this is Xenoblade Chronicles. Even with the tutorial being explained in the menus and what not, The tutorial in that game is damn awful and It took a lot of trial and error for me to figure out what is what and what does what.

Then there's the big price and the big benefit for Lyn's mode being that it offers more chapters which means more exp. To me, Lyn needed to be somewhere around lv 10 inorder for her to do some serious damage with the mani katti.

I don't see how getting more chapters of the game can make the mode irritating....you can even skip the dialogues.

Because Lyn Mode is pretty boring even on LHM (where the tutorial is turned off).

Wait...if the tutorial is turned off in LHM, how can it be boring? Also didn't you say that Lyn Mode is a lot more helpful?

Again regardless, you can skip the dialogue and you get extra chapters so its not like its really that bad as what many seem to think it is.

Edited by Harvey

Those complaining about Lyn Mode.....really, you're not seeing the point of it. Its to introduce the series to the western audience. Simply having a tutorial option there to learn how to play the game isn't enough for many players to get the core idea of the game. An example for this is Xenoblade Chronicles. Even with the tutorial being explained in the menus and what not, The tutorial in that game is damn awful and It took a lot of trial and error for me to figure out what is what and what does what.

Then there's the big price and the big benefit for Lyn's mode being that it offers more chapters which means more exp. To me, Lyn needed to be somewhere around lv 10 inorder for her to do some serious damage with the mani katti.

I don't see how getting more chapters of the game can make the mode irritating....you can even skip the dialogues.

Here's the thing tho, FE9, 13, and ESPECIALLY 14 prove there is a way to make a FE easily introduce the series to newcomers, yet not bore the shit out of experienced players. FE7, as much as I love it, does not do this thanks to Lyn mode, and it doesn't matter how much I love Lyn's character, it doesn't fix the bore that is Lyn mode.

Wait...if the tutorial is turned off in LHM, how can it be boring? Also didn't you say that Lyn Mode is a lot more helpful?

Again regardless, you can skip the dialogue and you get extra chapters so its not like its really that bad as what many seem to think it is.

Extra chapters matters little since those could just be placed in the main story, and thier worth in EXP and stuff would still be there.

In fact, if Lyn Mode had to be there, perhaps it could've use less chapters, I think. One thing I think is that it spreads out the stuff to learn a little too thin perhaps. Maybe it could've done it like Binding Blade did. An optional single-map tutorial covering basic stuff, and then leave the rest to the main game (like houses that just give dialogue when a unit visits them) and the R button.

Here's the thing tho, FE9, 13, and ESPECIALLY 14 prove there is a way to make a FE easily introduce the series to newcomers, yet not bore the shit out of experienced players. FE7, as much as I love it, does not do this thanks to Lyn mode, and it doesn't matter how much I love Lyn's character, it doesn't fix the bore that is Lyn mode.

I don't know about FE9 but as much as I love the hell out of FE13 and 14, they still don't teach some of the things and aren't as solid as FE7. For starters, FE13 doesn't teach you about the weapon durability, forging, change class and I think the weapon triangle unless the player reads them manually within the in game manual(fe14's instructions aren't elaborated in the home menu instructions btw so the player has to read them manually within the game.) So just imagine a lot of players playing the game blindly without thinking much. I first played FE13 blindly and despite the tutorial explaining some things right, it didn't teach me enough to the point that I wasn't too clueless.

FE7's tutorial explained pretty much everything the game has. The only thing it doesn't teach is the support system and how some units are able to attack twice.

Wait...if the tutorial is turned off in LHM, how can it be boring?

Hardly anything story-related happens in Lyn Mode, with or without the tutorial, and all of the maps are designed with the tutorials in mind so they tend to be short and filled with weak enemies.

Honestly, I think Lyn Mode could have easily been integrated into the main story by having Lungdren be in on Darin's rebellion while still having Lyn be a lord with her own story.

I don't know about FE9 but as much as I love the hell out of FE13 and 14, they still don't teach some of the things and aren't as solid as FE7. For starters, FE13 doesn't teach you about the weapon durability, forging, change class and I think the weapon triangle unless the player reads them manually within the in game manual

Weapon triangle and class change both have in-game tutorials. Weapon durability and forging don't, but those mechanics are pretty easy to figure out.

FE7's tutorial explained pretty much everything the game has. The only thing it doesn't teach is the support system and how some units are able to attack twice.

While aggressively holding the player's hand and not letting them experiment with different strategies.

Lyn Mode is great for those who are just starting the series, because it explains a lot of things. That's why I recommend it to those who aren't really familiar with FE7 (or FE in general).

Once you've got those concepts down-pat, it's not as fun, because there's a lot less options available.

If new players didn't read the manual and were confused as a result, that's a problem with them, not with the game.

Afaict Awakening's tutorial wasn't any less comprehensive than FE7's, but it is optional. That makes it no less helpful for players who need it, and less intrusive for players who don't.

If new players didn't read the manual and were confused as a result, that's a problem with them, not with the game.

Afaict Awakening's tutorial wasn't any less comprehensive than FE7's, but it is optional. That makes it no less helpful for players who need it, and less intrusive for players who don't.

So those that bought FE7 used are a problem?

Awakening and FE7 share some elements, but they're different enough that I'd recommend their respective tutorials for whoever isn't comfortable with FE as a whole.

Lyn Mode is great for those who are just starting the series, because it explains a lot of things. That's why I recommend it to those who aren't really familiar with FE7 (or FE in general).

So then it serves its purpose then. It taught me for certain. And if at all I want to play FE7 again, I'd play Hector mode. Its just that simple.

Weapon durability and forging don't, but those mechanics are pretty easy to figure out..

Please don't assume that every player will be able to figure out that because that is not likely the case. I didn't know about this until the mid of the game.

Again, please don't assume that not every mechanic needs a tutorial because that is not how tutorials work. A tutorial should teach the basic fundamentals of the game and if weapon durability wasn't mentioned, then it is the flaw of the tutorial.

Again, I seriously doubt that any newcomer will understand the core mechanics of Xenoblade Chronicles that easily the first time they play it and that is a flaw of the tutorial.

Please don't assume that every player will be able to figure out that because that is not likely the case. I didn't know about this until the mid of the game.

Again, please don't assume that not every mechanic needs a tutorial because that is not how tutorials work. A tutorial should teach the basic fundamentals of the game and if weapon durability wasn't mentioned, then it is the flaw of the tutorial.

Weapon/Item durability is an easy thing to learn in-game for Awakening. First of all, the number of uses left is right next to an item's name in the status screen, even if unlabeled. You just need to watch the number going down any time the item is used. Simple logic clues you in something will happen the moment the number reaches 0. Chances are one will notice with the 3 use Vulnerary than with a weapon itself, but that's all that is needed to tell weapons follow the same rule of "you loose it once that number to the right of their name reaches 0".

Don't assume they all need it, likewise. Sometimes simple logic can serve just fine. You don't really need a notification that the blue squares is where the unit can move to. All the player needs is to just click on a blue square and a non-blue square to figure out the difference. Yes, FE tutorials point this out; but if you ask me, they really shouldn't, among other things.

By the way, to be in-topic, is that sort of opinion unpopular? About the in-game tutorials not needing to explain certain things?

By the way, to be in-topic, is that sort of opinion unpopular? About the in-game tutorials not needing to explain certain things?

Maybe. Lyn Mode explains a lot more than that, like weapon triangle (this isn't very apparent unless you look at the weapon icons), terrain (this should be more obvious, but I think some need it explained outright), trading (not everyone is going to click on every option just to see what it does), rescuing (see the previous one), etc.