Games you know are bad but enjoy anyways.

Caster

Been meaning to make this.

What are some games you know are really bad but can't help but enjoy.

Some of mine include Pepsiman and FE2.

What are yours?

Edited by Sophie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only one that comes to mind for me is Star Fox Adventures

i more like the game for the game it was originally supposed to be more the game it is

i did enjoy the game, mostly and i did beat it but yeah... its not the best game ive played but i did enjoy it for what it was

FE2 isn't bad tho, it just hasn't aged gracefully, but if you look past that, it's a damn fine game and was way ahead of it's time.

Sonic the Hedgehog 06 definitely appies for me, and while I don't think it's a bad game, most of the internet thinks Shadow the Hedgehog is, but I love that game.

i'm really stretching the definition of enjoy here but Drakengard

EDIT: bad is just an opinion thing to a certain extent anyway, not every game a reviewer says is bad is really "bad"

ie there are less "bad" games than people claim

Edited by Lord Raven

Umm...

do not kill me please.

I kinda like Shadow Dragon...

but ONLY for the gameplay. Everything else sucks. I've been playing for the first time, and... I can tell it's kinda bad because I don't feel any urge to continue it, but once I start playing it again its fun.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Game is crap, saying it has aged badly is an understatement, the story is a mes, the voice acting is... well... awful, and the combat mechanics are completely busted. Topple that with a terrible saving system, relentless AI that will not stop re-spawning, terrible platforming sections and tons of bugs and glitches, and you have a complete sucker.

Yet... I still play it because damn, the atmosphere and world building is amazing and the Lovecraftian mythos is extremely well presented. Also the chase scene in Innsmouth it's some hardcore shit, intense and not made for the faint of heart :^_^:

Edited by Ken Masters

I don't think that I've ever played a hated or poorly reviewed videogame.

If anything Project X Zone 1 because there was no story and the game mechanics were mediocre compared to its sequel.

Otherwise I can't give any other examples.

FE2 doesn't seem to be a bad game from what I've seen despite I haven't played it yet.

samurai warriors + harvest moon/story of seasons games are incredibly tedious and repetitive but they are two of my favourite game series

Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 2(this one particularly)

Granted I don't really play the original NES/Famicom versions but the rereleases still have the same design problems.

Edited by DavidSW

I love the Musou games (Samurai Warriors/Dynasty Warriors) even though they are repetitive at moments, mostly in gameplay, but i just find them incredibly fun games with interesting characters, story and especially with really great music

But considering they have there fans on this site(Shout outs to Jedi, Kinumi who even posted itt lmao and old man Soledai) and how they're a big series in their home country of Japan i won't see them as actually terrible games

but in a more conventional sense of bad i feel for The Bouncer

games short as fuck and the controls are awkward as hell and everything is just...

eh

But i love it either way mostly for its music, it's aesthetic and more for nostalgia

even though it's not a good game by any means especially when it comes to how it aged

Edited by Trisitei

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

I second this.

Outside of that, I'd have to go with Dead Island. It's a fairly mediocre game with a lot of bugs and absolutely terrible menus, but I had a lot of fun playing it with other people, even if it was often at the game's expense.

I also enjoyed the first ObsCure game probably quite a bit more than it deserves.

As for a game that isn't quite BAD, but that i like more than it probably deserves: golden sun (all three of them, but especialy the second one because the skip cutscene button and hard mode negate the worst issues (to much text and not enough dificulty, respectivley). I somehow still have fun with the third one, despite the fact that it has more issues than the first two (story has even moer issues, and the gameplay is even easier). It also gets rid of the second one's innovations.

Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 2(this one particularly)

Granted I don't really play the original NES/Famicom versions but the rereleases still have the same design problems.

those games arent bad, they were amazing for their time period....

IMO the title should be renamed "Flawed games that you enjoy" because generally if people enjoy a game, there's at least one genuinely quality aspect to it that keeps drawing them back to it. It also invites more discussion because it lets them talk about the aspect that they like about it while saying what they think the flaws are (I mean, people are doing this anyways but yeah). Also it lets them talk about more games.

Like, I'd talk about Dawn of Sorrow here (Refa talking about Dawn of Sorrow, big surprise) but I don't think it's a genuinely bad game.

IMO the title should be renamed "Flawed games that you enjoy" because generally if people enjoy a game, there's at least one genuinely quality aspect to it that keeps drawing them back to it. It also invites more discussion because it lets them talk about the aspect that they like about it while saying what they think the flaws are (I mean, people are doing this anyways but yeah). Also it lets them talk about more games.

Like, I'd talk about Dawn of Sorrow here (Refa talking about Dawn of Sorrow, big surprise) but I don't think it's a genuinely bad game.

For golden sun, i should probably specify that there is actually a surprising depth to the class and combat system (that most players will never see because the game is so easy, and you need a guide to use the class system). I also like how you actually cast battle magic for the puzzles, and figuring out when to use which spell is part of the puzzle (although they do still tend to be pretty easy, and a few too many spells are "summon giant white glove to do extremely specific thing". I'm looking at you, "move", "carry", and "Lift")

With regard to final fantisy 2: you need to grind in a specific way, or else the end game suddenly becomes absurdly hard. Also, the most effective way to grind is to club yourself in the face. The remakes improve on this, but it still feels rough. Also, you can get free copies of the best spell in the game early. I don't even think that, "toad" is supposed to be the best spell, its just badly balanced.

Edited by sirmola

For golden sun, i should probably specify that there is actually a surprising depth to the class and combat system (that most players will never see because the game is so easy, and you need a guide to use the class system). I also like how you actually cast battle magic for the puzzles, and figuring out when to use which spell is part of the puzzle (although they do still tend to be pretty easy, and a few too many spells are "summon giant white glove to do extremely specific thing". I'm looking at you, "move", "carry", and "Lift")

With regard to final fantisy 2: you need to grind in a specific way, or else the end game suddenly becomes absurdly hard. Also, the most effective way to grind is to club yourself in the face. The remakes improve on this, but it still feels rough. Also, you can get free copies of the best spell in the game early. I don't even think that, "toad" is supposed to be the best spell, its just badly balanced.

i love golden sun and the lost age, they are 2 of my favorite rpgs on the gba. i 100%d both of them growing up and well... yeah.... i also like dark dawn as well, yes it has flaws but i like the story and the characters and the puzzles are still fun

Resident Evil 6

Far from being the best in the series but seeing all these legendary characters in the one game and Leon's campaign is a real treat. It also has the best mercenary mode in my opinion.

those games arent bad, they were amazing for their time period....

Oh they were influential to be sure, but they have aged terribly. Both are plagued by awful balance issues and bad design, FFII particularly.

The point here is they are not good by today's standards and would usually be games I just wouldn't touch after the first time due to there simply being countless better games I could be playing, but I do anyway.

Resident Evil 6

Far from being the best in the series but seeing all these legendary characters in the one game and Leon's campaign is a real treat. It also has the best mercenary mode in my opinion.

I had a way better opinion of it (a game that I have never played) after watching this.

Edited by Refa