I Find That Felica is Better Than Jakob

Captain Karnage

so after several playthroughs of Fates I'm finding that Felica just does a better job than Jakob at everything

well, untilll you het your hands on a flame shuriken Jakob will be outputting more damage than here but after that she'll be doing more damage than him.

and because of the maid/butler class only learns support skills the only drawback to using the flame shuriken is that there won't be any crits.

and because she has a 45% magic growth compared to his 25% growth she'll be doing a much better job a healing then he will.

and I find that demoiselle in conquest is a big help in the early game of counquest, because the most of the units you get in the first 3 chapters are men and the only tow units that will benifit from the male version are Effie and Elise. As for Effie she really dosen't need the extra 2 points of defense and Elise doesn't need to be in combat. So I find that demoiselle helps more of the army than the male version of the skill

sorry this wasn't very long but, that's what I've seen

Edited by Captain Karnage

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least jakob is a total daddy and will make me tea and crack open my windows when it gets too stuffy

edit: oh shit I didn't realize this wasn't in fftf i am sorry

Edited by Austin

Felicia can't cook (most of the dishes she'd make in the Mess Hall will be of the Noxious variety so +1 STR and MAG and -1 other stats on top of the boosts that come from the food chosen).

Jakob meanwhile produces Exquisite food most of the time, so buffs that come from the food will get a +1 bonus and a random stat gets boosted by +2.

If both units stick in their defaults, then yes, Felicia is probably better than Jakob in pretty much everything (minus durability) once you get the Flame Shuriken (though Jakob makes way better use of the Hunter's Knife). However, when reclassed, Jakob (especially if he's the first Servant) is one of the most interesting characters you get in the game. Paladin has great early game combat (he basically becomes Fates' Oifaye/Sirius equivalent, if he wasn't already). His EXP gain also counts as unpromoted, so he can pick up tons of excellent, later game Skills way faster than most anyone else. This is what keeps him relevant after the Mid game, his ability to get great skill combos before most units. The same holds true for Felicia, but I find that Jakob benefits quite a bit more from an immediate reclass, especially since Jakob will usually be out performed as a pure healer by the younger sisters upon their join. Plus, 2nd Felicia joins with C's in Staff and Hidden Weapons, meaning she can do everything you'll ever need her to right out of the box.

Edited by Avalanche

and because she has a 45% magic growth compared to his 25% growth she'll be doing a much better job a healing then he will.

This means that it takes 15 levels for her to gain +1 healing on him. Magic is a very minor factor for healing in Fates.

Meanwhile you totally gloss over Jakob's durability lead.

and I find that demoiselle in conquest is a big help in the early game of counquest, because the most of the units you get in the first 3 chapters are men and the only tow units that will benifit from the male version are Effie and Elise.

And in the chapter right after the arbitrary cutoff you assigned you get three more female combat units.

Felicia isn't even that great with the flame shuriken, because she has trouble doubling and 2HKOing stuff. Jakob can take a hit and he is better with the normal shurikens and the hunting knife. His lower amount of healing isn't an issue as well.

and I find that demoiselle in conquest is a big help in the early game of counquest, because the most of the units you get in the first 3 chapters are men and the only tow units that will benifit from the male version are Effie and Elise.

Ah, but you already have a demoiselle unit in Elise, once she levels up a bit.

Felicia isn't even that great with the flame shuriken, because she has trouble doubling and 2HKOing stuff. Jakob can take a hit and he is better with the normal shurikens and the hunting knife. His lower amount of healing isn't an issue as well.

what, her speed growth is more than good enough for doubling.

even the units that she doesn't 2HKO are debuffed and damaged to the point where it's free combat experience for your other units.

jakob is a cool great knight, though i prefer switching him out for silas when he joins.

Edited by Radiant head

She's going to be doubling easily and to her credit Flame Shuriken is pretty nice, thats not her issue at all.

Its more the weak hp, but as I said she's a nice support unit, but overall Jakob is better. I wouldn't discount Felicia entirely, especially in casual runs though.

Edited by Jedi

Yes, he goes to 40 no matter what. It's basically just the equivalent of having used 8 Eternal Seals on him or Felicia. I've heard things can get kind of wonky if you give them a DLC class, but I haven't tried it myself.

Edited by Avalanche

It's this kind of thing that makes me wish the game took inspiration from Radiant Dawn and completely removed a feature from the game in its hardest mode. Namely: reclassing.

Why? All that did in Radiant Dawn was remove tactical depth, and it would do the same here too.

It's this kind of thing that makes me wish the game took inspiration from Radiant Dawn and completely removed a feature from the game in its hardest mode. Namely: reclassing.

So you'd like to gimp the players and prevent them from utilizing class sets, something thats helped players on Lunatic mode since FE12, Radiant Dawn's removal of Battle Saves and Seeing enemy movement without manually counting weren't exactly popular removals on HM.

While Reclassing isn't my favorite thing, randomly removing it to add difficulty is dumb in a game that actually has it.

Edited by Jedi

Of everything to restrict in a harder difficulty, reclassing is the last thing I'd cut. Like, literally the last thing. No grinding in Birthright and Rev, limit overall resources, make things more expensive,adjust enemy skills and formations, change Map objectives, don't allow Casual Mode, don't allow the use of DLC or My Castle, I'd take any of those over taking reclassing away.

I love Radiant Dawn (it's my favorite game in the series), but I'd take having most any character be viable and useable in multiple ways any day over the absolute mess that is RD's unit balance.

Edited by Avalanche

So you'd like to gimp the players and prevent them from utilizing class sets, something thats helped players on Lunatic mode since FE12, Radiant Dawn's removal of Battle Saves and Seeing enemy movement without manually counting weren't exactly popular removals on HM.

While Reclassing isn't my favorite thing, randomly removing it to add difficulty is dumb in a game that actually has it.

I got the impression he was talking about the removal of weapon triangle. I forgot about the enemy range fields.

Why? Because I just think it'd be dumb to arbitrarily remove reclassing.

I've just sat myself here reading this while I'm waiting for a friend to come on Smash and I'm like: "Guys! Stop making me wanna replay Fates!"

Same fam. After taking a break from FE for a couple months, I'm really excited to jump back in Edited by Avalanche