Least Favourite Character Redesign

3 minutes ago, unique said:

just curious, is there anything you dislike about it other than the eyes?

eliwood's my favorite lord too and I thought the same thing at first but looking at it again I honestly like pretty much all of it except the eyes

i definitely would've been happier if his art looked entirely different and did not have disproportionately large eyes, but i think i've gotten used to the eyes to the point that I can ignore them, and none of the other parts of it bother me much at all

i still don't think it's that good overall even ignoring the eyes (i think the other two lords from his game got it much better off), but I can't really say I hate eliwood's anymore

although that doesn't actually matter since I still don't have a single eliwood

Hmm ... well, while it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the eyes and I can still overlook it, there's something about the color of his breastplate and boots, and the pattern on them, that do unsettle me. I'm not sure why but it just doesn't look that great. The eyes are definitely the biggest thing, but the breastplate and boots are also not super great. Ugh, I really wish it didn't bother me so much, I'd really like to put more effort into using him.

Edited by Sunwoo

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those saying Ray/Roy/Lilina look too young, what do you expect 13-15 to look like? Would a younger VA help sell it for you?

As for me, Cordelia's face looks completely off.

36 minutes ago, Suichimo said:

For those saying Ray/Roy/Lilina look too young, what do you expect 13-15 to look like? Would a younger VA help sell it for you?

Roy and Lilina look ten. I'm a tutor and I've been a student teacher for a year. I've worked with students who are 13-17, so I know what 13-15 year olds look like. Roy and Lilina do not look like they're 15. They look 10.

Edited by Sunwoo

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Roy and Lilina look ten. I'm a tutor and I've been a student teacher for a year. I've worked with students who are 13-17, so I know what 13-15 year olds look like. Roy and Lilina do not look like they're 15. They look 10.

Maybe they're all secretly East Asian and look a ton younger than they actually are.

Jokes aside, I'm definitely not a good judge of age anymore. All the 19-20-year-olds coming in every summer for internships all look so itty bitty.

38 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Maybe they're all secretly East Asian and look a ton younger than they actually are.

Jokes aside, I'm definitely not a good judge of age anymore. All the 19-20-year-olds coming in every summer for internships all look so itty bitty.

That would explain it, but I probably get asked if I'm a teenager because I'm short so maybe a bit on the extreme side

Edited by Sunwoo

I think Lachesis is my least favourite now. I really don't like that style at the best of times but her attacking pose just looks uncomfortable. I mean why do so many insist on drawing women with their knees close together but their feet wide apart? The stance just doesn't make sense!

26 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I think Lachesis is my least favourite now. I really don't like that style at the best of times but her attacking pose just looks uncomfortable. I mean why do so many insist on drawing women with their knees close together but their feet wide apart? The stance just doesn't make sense!

Bs_fe04_lachesis_princess_staff.png

I mentioned eliwood before, but flipping rebecca!

Lord save the children!

I feel like looking into her demonic eyes will instantaneously make anyone go insane.

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Bs_fe04_lachesis_princess_staff.png

Thankfully it's too small for my eyes to make out properly so I can ignore it... but it's too common a stance. I don't think I've stood like that, or seen a single of my female friends/family/strange people who happen to be around ever standing like that. It's an horrendous stance that must do a right number on the knees!

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I mentioned eliwood before, but flipping rebecca!
Lord save the children!
I feel like looking into her demonic eyes will instantaneously make anyone go insane.

nmquJur.png

2 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Thankfully it's too small for my eyes to make out properly so I can ignore it... but it's too common a stance. I don't think I've stood like that, or seen a single of my female friends/family/strange people who happen to be around ever standing like that. It's an horrendous stance that must do a right number on the knees!

Genealogy and Thracia (and probably at least one of Kaga's post-FE games) are infamous for their female sprites having Y-shaped legs, with knees close together but feet wide apart. It does look very awkward and silly.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

nmquJur.png

Genealogy and Thracia (and probably at least one of Kaga's post-FE games) are infamous for their female sprites having Y-shaped legs, with knees close together but feet wide apart. It does look very awkward and silly.

Maybe I deliberately ignored it then xD Thankfully the screen was always tiny on my pc (I had to play them on rom despite owning the games as I needed the English patches) so I never noticed. Urgh, I hate it in anime and I hate it here. I always fast forward her attacking screen to avoid seeing it -.-

17 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Wow, didn't know people didn't like Navarre. He looks good-looking now! Roy is so cute too!

The problem with Navarre is his asymmetrical eyes in his attack art.

I'm glad this came around, now I'm going to rant.

1) It HURTS to look at Rebecca, I just can't do it.

2) Lilina, Roy, and Gunter have some pretty creepy looking eyes. Lilina and Roy have a thick black ring around their irises, making them looks fairly demonic. Gunter's eyes are actually fine until he has the attack portrait, in which case his pupils and irises disappear and he is left with just eye whites.

3) For whatever reason it looks most of the Pegasus knights wearing skirts don't have anything on underneath, especially in the injured portrait, I don't know if that was the intention, but where the fabric is missing, shouldn't there be some sort of undergarments?? Just look at Florina and Est! Especially Florina.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20170405-113910.png

Screenshot_20170405-113921.png

4) I kind of like how Arthur looks cartoon like, it suits him wanting to be like a hero from a comic book, but for Raven its out of place and makes it hard to take him seriously. What's more is that it bothers me that Raven has a sword in the idle portrait, but wields an axe.

I'll agree with some of the other things I've seen here, Navarre definitely looks very feminine, and Eliwood could have been done better.

Also it kind of disappoints me that it looks like some of the characters look like they have parts of their portraits cut off, like for Michalis you can only see what his axe looks like in the injured portrait, and throughout all the portraits you can see bits of his coat left out, or some of his boot. Also the lighting on him changes from his idle portrait to his attack portrait, first his tie neckerchief (very classy btw) goes from a purpleish color to being much more red, then the inside of his coat also goes from being more maroon to more red, it just seems kind of inconsistent to me, the coat I can understand since it may have a shadow in one portrait and not the other, but his tie neckerchief wouldn't have a shadow on it in either portrait!

Other than that I hope I'm not being too picky.

EDIT: On the way back from lunch I realized Michalis is not wearing a tie, that is a neckerchief, its still very classy.

Edited by BestFriendJ0
Mistake

On Tuesday, April 04, 2017 at 11:52 PM, Sunwoo said:

But in addition to him, some other characters whose art I've had issues with are Roy (his default portrait is all right, I suppose, but he looks literally 10 in the other two. He's young, but not THAT young), Lilina (same problem as Roy)

I don't think you've seen a 10 year old in quite a long time then.  He's only 15, and it honestly baffles me that you think Lilina looks 10 as well, just look at how tall she is.  Roy, sure, but LILINA?

Some of these posts sound like they just haven't played the games in forever. Matthew literally looks the same as he did in FE7, for example. Maybe slightly younger, but the artwork fits him really well regardless.

Of course, there are many examples I agree with and I certainly can't argue about Eliwood, it honestly makes me feel sick too.  He deserved much better. 

My least favourite has to be Sophia, if only because I like her so much.  Her anatomy just doesn't work.  Fae has to be my favourite artwork in the game, done by Himukai Yuji of all people.  It was a very pleasant surprise when I first saw her and Raigh.

1 hour ago, Sayyyaka said:

I don't think you've seen a 10 year old in quite a long time then.  He's only 15, and it honestly baffles me that you think Lilina looks 10 as well, just look at how tall she is.  Roy, sure, but LILINA?

So what if Lilina's tall? I've met a 10-year-old who's taller than me, a 10-year-old girl nonetheless, and I'm in my late twenties. Some kids are just really tall for their age. Also, I would not-so-kindly ask you not to make stupid assumptions about what I have or have not seen in a long time. Assuming stuff makes an ass out of you and me, but it mostly makes an ass out of you.

37 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

So what if Lilina's tall? I've met a 10-year-old who's taller than me, a 10-year-old girl nonetheless, and I'm in my late twenties. Some kids are just really tall for their age. Also, I would not-so-kindly ask you not to make stupid assumptions about what I have or have not seen in a long time. Assuming stuff makes an ass out of you and me, but it mostly makes an ass out of you.

Wait wut, a 10 year old that's taller than you? Holy cow, what do kids eat where you live? That's seriously amazing on several different levels. I don't think I've seen any 10 year old that tall in my life; who somehow manages to be taller than a person that's 18+ years old. Then again I've lived in SEA for a good portion of my life, so I don't know if people just don't grow much there or something. To me, hearing something like this is quite incredible :'D.

Back to the topic though, Eliwood never actually bothered me that much until people explicitly pointed out his eyes. I mean, I guess they're kinda big, but I was never bothered by it until someone pointed it out to me. I guess the rest of his art looks kinda decent enough that I just didn't really notice it too much. I'm pretty sure Sheena or Olivia bothers me the most, though I swear there was someone else...

Edited by Ryu Yuki

6 hours ago, Ryu Yuki said:

Wait wut, a 10 year old that's taller than you? Holy cow, what do kids eat where you live? That's seriously amazing on several different levels. I don't think I've seen any 10 year old that tall in my life; who somehow manages to be taller than a person that's 18+ years old. Then again I've lived in SEA for a good portion of my life, so I don't know if people just don't grow much there or something. To me, hearing something like this is quite incredible :'D.

Back to the topic though, Eliwood never actually bothered me that much until people explicitly pointed out his eyes. I mean, I guess they're kinda big, but I was never bothered by it until someone pointed it out to me. I guess the rest of his art looks kinda decent enough that I just didn't really notice it too much. I'm pretty sure Sheena or Olivia bothers me the most, though I swear there was someone else...

I've seen 10 year olds who are pretty tall and, granted I'm a bit...vertically challenged, but one girl I remember in elementary school must've been a good 5'5" (at 10) or so because she was tall as fuck. I mean, basketball players who are like, 6'8" in adulthood probably were not short kids. One of my professor's kids whom I've met is like, he's like what, 11? and he's probably a good head taller than me. Said professor is also a very tall guy.

So I can totally believe that Lilina is actually tall and just very skinny. She's Hector's kid, after all. 

I don't have issues with Lilina's art personally but I can see how her art makes her look super young. It's the eyes. Also girls hit puberty earlier on average.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm really not a big fan of Zephiel's art. I think the artist was going for a sort of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure look, but I don't think it fits him. The Ecksachs also just kinda seems dull for some reason, and that's not a good thing for something that's usually really awesome. So yeah I'd consider him my least favorite revamp.

Special mention to the revamps of Camilla (She looks simultaneously busty and ugly) and Lachesis. (What were they hoping for in cutefying her? I don't get it)

On 4/5/2017 at 4:56 AM, Vaximillian said:

Nobody says I'm 24. They usually place me like 17.

I hear ya. I'm almost 20, but people still ask me if my parents can give me permission to try samples at Costco. They don't ask (where I live) if you look older than 14-15 here..... I also get ID'd at bars. Hardcore. I'll give them my ID and they won't believe me :( (I don't feel as bad on the latter, since my mom gets ID'd too. XD) I can also still get the child's/youth fare at movie theaters too....

7 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

So what if Lilina's tall? I've met a 10-year-old who's taller than me, a 10-year-old girl nonetheless, and I'm in my late twenties. Some kids are just really tall for their age.

The tallest girl I met was a 12-year old girl. She was 6'1''. She dwarfed my 5'0''-5'1"...

---

As for art. Laslow's legs. I love his artwork overall, love the way the artist portrayed him, love the colouring, but his legs man... They look a tad thin.... Then you have his injured portrait. Don't even get me started. Someone fix it. Please.

Lachesis redesign is horrible, and on top of that she's made a useless healer too.

I don't like Lucius' design either. I mean, in game he looks just feminine, here he looks straight out like a woman( and an ugly one at that T.T) He also loses the calmness which goes with the original design.

I'm 28 and 5'7". People tell me that when I shave my beard clean (I like having bristles to fidget with, so I don't do this often), I can easily pass for a high schooler.

A few of the parents among my family's circle of friends (my parent's friends from college, basically) are really tall. Naturally, their children are really, really tall. I know one of them has been taller than me for years now, and she recently started high school.

36 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

The Ecksachs also just kinda seems dull for some reason, and that's not a good thing for something that's usually really awesome.

It looks to be based off of the FE6 in-game sprite, but is noticeably smaller. That said, the Heroes in-game sprite of it is also smaller than in FE6.

I don't mind Zephiel's look. The artist's art style is fine to me, though the graininess of the color looks a bit out of place next to the other artwork (make no mistake, though, I like the effect). Eckesachs just looks somewhat unimpressive.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for a Yamada Koutarou Hasha no Tsurugi Zephiel. With the fact that Hasha original characters have been added to Cipher, I suppose there might be some hope.