Least Favourite Character Redesign

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:
  1. Now that I look at it, Nino's body actually looks too large in her original official artwork. Namely, her hips and legs are enormous. The more I look at it, the more it's actually creeping me out.
  2. You picked her attacking art to represent her Heroes artwork, which I already acknowledged makes her body too small. You've also acknowledged yourself that you picked the artwork of her that you like least from Heroes, so at the very least, you should use both the art of her you like most and the one you like least for a better objective comparison.
1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

True, the standing artwork is more similar and therefore better for comparison. If the dimensions are off in the attack pose specifically, then you should have presented all three.

As for the chipperness, is she not supposed to be chipper? Isn't her thing kind of being the chipper person despite having a terrible life? Granted I haven't played Blazing Blade in quite a while.

The main point I was trying to make was that the Heroes artwork (all of it) depicts Nino as a young child, and I don't like that because she wasn't a child in Blazing Blade. I feel the depiction of her as a child demeans her. You don't have to agree with that, but perhaps you might see where I'm coming from?

Ice Dragon, you argued that Nino doesn't look like a child in Heroes. Nino definitely looks like a child in Heroes, and I provided objective arguments based on some objective characteristics to show why I think she looks like a child. The artist clearly designed her to look like a child. Compare it with the Blazing Blade portrait. Do they look like the same age? Perhaps you don't think that Nino looks like a child in Heroes, but at the very least, you would agree that she looks younger than in the Blazing Blade portrait?

Now, to your complaints about bad proportions... Nothing I said had to do with those? All of Nino's pieces in Heroes have about the same proportions. I chose the attacking one because it emphasizes a ridiculously bad pose, but all of her poses have an excessive amount of stupid inward knee & toe pointing.

I honestly think that all of Nino's portraits in Heroes were well drawn and are very cute. They're all very good, in terms of quality. But they depict her as a kid here, and I don't like that. Nino's a poetic character in Blazing Sword, but it doesn't work if she's 8.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright so I've seen a lot of people complain about eliwood and rebecca having huge eyes but one thing I've noticed is that pretty much no one has mentioned is how big ninian's eyes are

like, I really, really love ninian's art, I think it's one of the absolute best to come out of the game, but the eyes kinda bother me

in most of her other art ninian is usually drawn with fairly small sad looking eyes

but here she just has big anime eyes

it's not that bad but it just seems kinda odd

Edited by unique

I agree with a lot of the rants I heard, but, IMO, none beats Lachesis.
She was completely redone! All the way from badass lady knight to chibi little sister

And not only her art sucks, she's also a healer 

15 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm not a fan of Wendy's new art or new name.

what were they thinking with that name anyway

like, I know they did something similar with edward, but at least edward is still a pretty common name

wendy to gwendolyn is just plain weird and harder to say/write and I'm not sure what reason there was for it

Edited by unique

6 minutes ago, unique said:

like, I know they did something similar with edward, but at least edward is still a pretty common name

wendy to gwendolyn is just plain weird and harder to say/write and I'm not sure what reason there was for it

It's not like the other name was official in English anyway. Besides, it fits the fantasy setting.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

It's not like the other name was official in English anyway. Besides, it fits the fantasy setting.

there was no official name before though, so whether or not it was "official" is kinda irrelevant

it was her name, and for the english version they made it something else

i guess it fits for the fantasy setting but there are plenty of people in this game with fairly ordinary names so I don't think there would've been anything wrong with just keeping it as wendy

22 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Wendy's a perfectly normal name, and the community called her that for over a decade.  IS isn't obligated to take fan translation names into account, but unless they're weird or make-up names, I don't see any reason to change them.

Good: Changing Scenario to Soren.

BAD: Changing Wendy to Gwendolyn.

20 minutes ago, Astellius said:

The real question is: is anyone a fan of Wendy at all?

I like Wendy in FE6.  I know she's not a good unit, but I like her anyway.

2 hours ago, Astellius said:

Ice Dragon, you argued that Nino doesn't look like a child in Heroes. Nino definitely looks like a child in Heroes, and I provided objective arguments based on some objective characteristics to show why I think she looks like a child. The artist clearly designed her to look like a child. Compare it with the Blazing Blade portrait. Do they look like the same age? Perhaps you don't think that Nino looks like a child in Heroes, but at the very least, you would agree that she looks younger than in the Blazing Blade portrait?

I never argued that she doesn't look like a child. I argued that she would not look out of place as a high-school freshman, which is, in fact, about how old she supposedly is. The difference between the artwork isn't so great as to make her plausible age range not overlap.

2 hours ago, Astellius said:

Now, to your complaints about bad proportions... Nothing I said had to do with those? All of Nino's pieces in Heroes have about the same proportions. I chose the attacking one because it emphasizes a ridiculously bad pose, but all of her poses have an excessive amount of stupid inward knee & toe pointing.

I'm pretty sure her legs are less short in her idle artwork compared to her attacking artwork, or at the very least, if they aren't, it's not so apparent.

1 hour ago, unique said:

1 hour ago, unique said:

there was no official name before though, so whether or not it was "official" is kinda irrelevant

it was her name, and for the english version they made it something else

i guess it fits for the fantasy setting but there are plenty of people in this game with fairly ordinary names so I don't think there would've been anything wrong with just keeping it as wendy

43 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Wendy's a perfectly normal name, and the community called her that for over a decade.  IS isn't obligated to take fan translation names into account, but unless they're weird or make-up names, I don't see any reason to change them.

Good: Changing Scenario to Soren.

BAD: Changing Wendy to Gwendolyn.

"Wendy", however, is her official name according to NoJ. NoA (not IS) isn't obligated to use that name, but it's no less official than NoA's name.

Soren's NoJ name is "Senerio". Edward's is "Eddie".

I also don't see anything wrong with using made-up names. It's a fantasy setting. Made-up names are perfectly normal.

Personally, the ones I'm most annoyed about are changing "Brad" to "Aran" and "Tsubaki" to "Subaki". The first because seriously what the fuck? The second because it reeks of "Americans can't pronounce that letter combination, so we'll make it easier for them," which, even if I identify as Asian more than American, is insulting. (Same with all of the other Hoshidan long Japanese names that were shortened, but Subaki's bothers me the most.)

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Personally, the ones I'm most annoyed about are changing "Brad" to "Aran" and "Tsubaki" to "Subaki". The first because seriously what the fuck?

And then they add Brady in Awakening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, unique said:

alright so I've seen a lot of people complain about eliwood and rebecca having huge eyes but one thing I've noticed is that pretty much no one has mentioned is how big ninian's eyes are

like, I really, really love ninian's art, I think it's one of the absolute best to come out of the game, but the eyes kinda bother me

in most of her other art ninian is usually drawn with fairly small sad looking eyes

but here she just has big anime eyes

it's not that bad but it just seems kinda odd

I don't know, they look like big anime eyes to me. I mean, here she has bigger anime eyes, but they're all in the same category.

Edit: Actually, staring at it more, the eyes look about the same.

Edited by DehNutCase

3 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Right. "Wendy" is so plain that I'm rather glad they changed it.

8 hours ago, Astellius said:

To Arthur97's point, I did say the art was good quality, and she's cute. My complaint is the kid-ification, I hate it that they turned her into a loli (who appears obnoxiously chipper). She was 14 in Blazing Blade.

To Ice Dragon, for comparison, I pulled the old art and put it next to her attacking portrait from Heroes. I stuck them in the spoiler, along with my analysis.

Hide contents

latest.thumb.png.3dd65a71f0a14f68a30a99da77d5be3a.png421.png.7bb0f3b3c55da62d51123203cfa63143.png

In the Heroes portrait, her head is proportionately much larger in comparison to her body, and her torso and her limbs are all very small. Her face is also much wider, which is typical for kids. For a sense of proportion, let's suppose the tome she's holding in the portrait on the right is the size of a textbook. It fits from her hand into the crux of her elbow, so her arms are very small, and it's also wider than her body. She has all the proportions of a child in the 7-8 y/o range, and looks like she would probably be in elementary school. (I also hate the really deep, knees-bent inward, pigeon-toed pose in the Heroes attacking picture (which is why I used that one).)

The Blazing Sword one, her torso is longer, approaching adult proportions. The face is sharper, less rounded, and the head is a proportionate size to the body for someone in their mid-teens.

Liking or disliking this portrayal of her is, of course, subjective. However, comparison of objective features shows that Nino in Heroes has a much more childish body.

My point was that I really dislike that they took a character and redesigned her into a much younger one (specifically a loli-style one). This is my least favorite redesign because Nino was one of my favorites from Blazing Blade, and they took a good design and turned her into a kid. And I'm not too fond of kids running amok everywhere in FE.

@pumpkinspice48 Yeah, Raigh looks too young as well, but I was pretty ambivalent towards him in the game, and don't use him. Probably why he hasn't been mentioned yet as well.

While Amagaitaro's drawings has a pretty moe feel to all of them (Catria, Clarine, etc.), in Nino's case, I'd say it's a big improvement. Nino's official art is terrible and she looks more like an adult than an early teenager.

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

And then they add Brady in Awakening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And now Echoes has a character named Effie in Japanese, if my memory is correct. Not sure what NoA is doing about that one.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And now Echoes has a character named Effie in Japanese, if my memory is correct. Not sure what NoA is doing about that one.

She's Faye in the English version.

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

She's Faye in the English version.

I'm waiting for the next Fire Emblem where the Japanese names of all of the characters are just names used by NoA that aren't used in the Japanese versions.

39 minutes ago, Folt said:

While Amagaitaro's drawings has a pretty moe feel to all of them (Catria, Clarine, etc.), in Nino's case, I'd say it's a big improvement. Nino's official art is terrible and she looks more like an adult than an early teenager.

Nino's original art I think would look better if her head weren't so small compared to her lower body.

Since I think I've been derailing the topic enough, and because I don't think I've done so already, I should probably add my own input.

Assuming by "character redesign", we're really just talking about "which arts we don't like", the ones that bug me the most are Lyn's attack art and Cordelia in general. I can appreciate the peculiarities that happen due to an artist's style, but some things are just off, style completely considered.

Lyn's eyes are too far from each other on her attack art. Perspective considered, relative to her idle art, her eyes should be closer to each other here, but they're actually even farther away.

For Cordelia's it's something about her face that just doesn't convince me it's Cordelia. I don't think it's something with Ueda Yumehito's style since Hinata and Oboro look fine and Robin (F) looks mostly fine, so I'm pretty sure it's just something off with her face.

Since I just mentioned Robin (F), her long forehead and conspicuously black eyebrows bother me. That's really it.

Corrin (F)'s hair is rather unconvincing as hair. I'm not sure if that's a style thing or an I-don't-like-this thing or an I-don't-like-this-guy's-style thing, but it simultaneously has too little and too much detail to be convincing. But both of those arts don't bother me quite as much.

5 minutes ago, pianime94 said:

Speaking of forehead, I don't want to imagine Sanaki without her headband.

She's probably doing an all-back hairstyle (not sure what it's called in English), but with her bangs flipped back forward for whatever reason. At least, I sure hope that's what she's doing.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I never argued that she doesn't look like a child. I argued that she would not look out of place as a high-school freshman, which is, in fact, about how old she supposedly is. The difference between the artwork isn't so great as to make her plausible age range not overlap.

I'm pretty sure her legs are less short in her idle artwork compared to her attacking artwork, or at the very least, if they aren't, it's not so apparent.

"Wendy", however, is her official name according to NoJ. NoA (not IS) isn't obligated to use that name, but it's no less official than NoA's name.

Soren's NoJ name is "Senerio". Edward's is "Eddie".

I also don't see anything wrong with using made-up names. It's a fantasy setting. Made-up names are perfectly normal.

Personally, the ones I'm most annoyed about are changing "Brad" to "Aran" and "Tsubaki" to "Subaki". The first because seriously what the fuck? The second because it reeks of "Americans can't pronounce that letter combination, so we'll make it easier for them," which, even if I identify as Asian more than American, is insulting. (Same with all of the other Hoshidan long Japanese names that were shortened, but Subaki's bothers me the most.)

There's good make-up names and bad made up names.  Senerio sounds like Scenario.  Then there's really bad ones like Refill and Genius Sage from Tales of Symphonia.

I feel like I wanted to comment about something, but I forgot what.

Last thing I remembered was I clicked a link and then my mind got cut off.

Edited by pianime94