Least Favourite Character Redesign

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Rezzy said:

There's good make-up names and bad made up names.  Senerio sounds like Scenario.  Then there's really bad ones like Refill and Genius Sage from Tales of Symphonia.

Refill? I don't remember anyone by that name in ToS. Also, I like Genis' name.

4 minutes ago, Suichimo said:

Refill? I don't remember anyone by that name in ToS. Also, I like Genis' name.

Raine was called Refill in the Japanese version and Genis was literally called Genius in the Japanese version.

19 hours ago, Rezzy said:

There's good make-up names and bad made up names.  Senerio sounds like Scenario.  Then there's really bad ones like Refill and Genius Sage from Tales of Symphonia.

Is there a reason "scenario", "refill", and "genius" being regular English words is a problem, but "wrath", "shin", "raven", "rye", "tiki", "fir", and "barter" are not a problem?

5 hours ago, pumpkinspice48 said:

You can see under the bandana in her injured art.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's hair there.

That just means her hair starts 2/3 of the way up from the bottom of the bandanna.

Edited by Ice Dragon

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Is there a reason "scenario", "refill", and "genius" being regular English words is a problem, but "wrath", "shin", "raven", "rye", "tiki", "fir", and "barter" are not a problem?

Nouns as names is perfectly acceptable, to be honest. So that just leaves wrath and barter.

Wrath is acceptable if you read/watched Fullmetal Alchemist, I guess. (And some old-school Christians have the habit of naming children after virtues, chastity, modesty, etc. and a sin is like a virtue). Barter is just weird, though.

Edited by DehNutCase

Just now, DehNutCase said:

Nouns as names is perfectly acceptable, to be honest. So that just leaves wrath and barter.

Wrath is acceptable if you read/watched Fullmetal Alchemist, I guess. (And some old-school Christians have the habit of naming children after virtues, chastity, modesty, etc. and a sin is like a virtue). Barter is just weird, though.

"Wrath" is a noun.

I finally scrapped up 20 orbs and decided to try for a Bunny Lucina from the Spring Banner. Had 3 blue orbs. All three were freakin' 3-Star F!Corrins. I now really, really hate her design and art. 

aside from Rebecca's terrifying and soul-gazing eyes, has anyone noticed she doesn't have a bowstring in her attack animation?

i actually like Nowi's art but her arms are slightly thicker than a toothpick. very slightly. it's unnerving. i can't remember all the specific ones but i'm also not liking the art where the characters have tiny baby hands. or yaoi hands which is also unnerving coughELDIGANcough.

i mean look at Kagero's left hand holding the dagger. that's a baby's hand. 

Spoiler

oHZxm4L.png

i do not like Hinoka's art. for a loong time i didn't even know it was Hinoka, because i didn't remember Hinoka's name well enough and the art made me think it was a completely different character. i like the art itself, aesthetically, but it just doesn't feel like Hinoka at all? i didn't play birthright, but...eh...

i also find Eliwood to be...not fun to look at it. i had the intense urge to cover my eyes for a moment when i first pulled him.

also, take a look at Laslow's ankle

Spoiler

5HeIy5O.png

i'm worried for you Laslow

as for art i really like: Felicia, Jakob, Shiida, and Seliph. for the most part everything looks natural and smooth and the colouring + lines are A+

i think rather than designs this was mostly me complaining about the art itself oops

6 hours ago, pianime94 said:

A dancer must be able to do that much!

Talking about arms, Saizo's bare arm in his damaged art is a literal hulk.

Lol are you talking about Laslow? If so, i enjoy this line of reasoning. He is simply working on a new dance move, his magnus opus: the Ankle Breaker

Hmm, the arm looks alright to me, but maybe watching JJBA lately has warped my perception of reality

Huh. I never noticed Saizo's injured art. Probably because I never saw it for the 2 seconds he gets injured and it's not a super glaring issue like an entire body being contorted in weird ways, but the arm does feel a bit off in his injured art.  

I suspect it has to do with foreshortening being hella hard than anything. I've drawn a lot of really buff people and foreshortening their muscles always give me some issues. 

11 hours ago, wizzard of soz said:

aside from Rebecca's terrifying and soul-gazing eyes, has anyone noticed she doesn't have a bowstring in her attack animation?

i actually like Nowi's art but her arms are slightly thicker than a toothpick. very slightly. it's unnerving. i can't remember all the specific ones but i'm also not liking the art where the characters have tiny baby hands. or yaoi hands which is also unnerving coughELDIGANcough.

i mean look at Kagero's left hand holding the dagger. that's a baby's hand. 

Hide contents

oHZxm4L.png

i do not like Hinoka's art. for a loong time i didn't even know it was Hinoka, because i didn't remember Hinoka's name well enough and the art made me think it was a completely different character. i like the art itself, aesthetically, but it just doesn't feel like Hinoka at all? i didn't play birthright, but...eh...

i also find Eliwood to be...not fun to look at it. i had the intense urge to cover my eyes for a moment when i first pulled him.

also, take a look at Laslow's ankle

Hide contents

5HeIy5O.png

i'm worried for you Laslow

as for art i really like: Felicia, Jakob, Shiida, and Seliph. for the most part everything looks natural and smooth and the colouring + lines are A+

i think rather than designs this was mostly me complaining about the art itself oops

Yeah, a bowstring would've been nice for Rebecca, it would've helped block out some of her terrifying face. It seems like a rather obvious detail the artist left out...

I don't have Kagero, so I never noticed the baby hand before. During the attack animation, I don't think my eyes ever made it sufficiently far up north to have taken notice of the baby hand.

Some of the art I really like: Eirika (wish I had her!), Cherche, and Est (I think she looks super adorable despite her having a case of anime girl knees).

20 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Yeah, a bowstring would've been nice for Rebecca, it would've helped block out some of her terrifying face. It seems like a rather obvious detail the artist left out...

I don't have Kagero, so I never noticed the baby hand before. During the attack animation, I don't think my eyes ever made it sufficiently far up north to have taken notice of the baby hand.

Some of the art I really like: Eirika (wish I had her!), Cherche, and Est (I think she looks super adorable despite her having a case of anime girl knees).

lOL

ah yeah i don't have her either and probably wouldn't have noticed since i have animations off, but i was scrolling through a heroes art gallery for clothing inspiration and what do i see...yes it's especially hard to notice with the two big distractions below. conspiracy theory: tactic by the artist to draw attention from the fact that they may have f*cked up

...Est is disgustingly cute tho i'm also not a fan of the anime girl knees

• 1 month later...

I, uh, actually grown to love Rebecca's art, mostly because I discover that Hoshino Lily draw her, and I really like her shojo-like style, that and I love how she draws girls and I really love Otome Youkai Zakuro.

Also, Nowi is very weird to look at, her arms are so slim and her face is like a silly rabbit

16 minutes ago, Truffa said:

Also, Nowi is very weird to look at, her arms are so slim and her face is like a silly rabbit

Her face looks a lot better in her attacking and damaged art, but yeah, her normal art is really really weird.

From a design standpoint?

Or in terms of art?

From a design level, Clarine is pretty bad. Her outfit was alright in it's original version, but the changes they made for heroes were just weird.

So, they extended her skirt, but then they pulled it up to the point where it's resting on her navel, instead of one her hips. Then they pulled the width way out, and brought down her collar so it rests on her breasts instead of her collar bone, and makes them look more exaggerated, and made her collar twice as wide and tall so you can't see her neck almost at all.

It's just... weird choices. Idk. It bugs me.

I haven't looked at enough critically to really examine the designs too much.

Edited by dragonlordsd

Lloyd is by far the worse re-design. I can admit that Eliwood's & Rebecca's art looks off. You wouldn't even be able to tell that's Lloyd if it weren't his name be labeled.  :dry: