I never realized how unpopular my opinions generally are...

Anacybele

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Power Master said:

Nostalgia could also play a factor here. Your first game in the series could very easily become your favorite because it was the one that brought you into it. Everything else afterward could end up being compared to the first game you've played.

Super Mario 64 is my absolute favorite game of all time, but really only because it was my first. A lot of people may say games like Sunshine or 3D World are better, but not me.

You may not like it much, but Wind Waker is my absolute favorite, again because of nostalgia, but also because it had some solid gameplay and was just all around a good time. (I'm glad HD sped up the sailing, though). FE7 and PoR are my favorite titles because the stories were good, great gameplay, and awesome characters. Awakening has some replayability and is easily accessible, but I don't think it's as good.

You have your own opinions. I have my own opinions. Everyone has their own opinions. Don't worry, just be yourself!

True, though I'd say for me, Nostalgia is only half of it. PoR was my first FE game while RD was my second, and they are still my favorite FEs. Gen 4 was the first Pokemon gen I actually played seriously and all the way through. But Skyward Sword and TMC were not my first Zelda games by a long shot. ALttP and OoT were, and OoT is lowish on my list. ALttP is fairly high tho. My first Mario games were the original SMB trio, the updated SNES versions. And I don't rate them as high as Luigi's Mansion or SMG/SMG2.

But yeah, nostalgia is kind of a factor. Super Paper Mario is kind of nostalgic for me too since the first level was basically an SMB throwback.

17 minutes ago, Alisa Reinford said:

Opinions are opinions, one of the fundemental rights of a human.
Having unpopular opinions is absolute fine.
But also accepting and respecting them even if you don't agree with them.
And that's the point you often don't do as I see from different threads.

You're wrong. I fully respect and accept everyone's opinions. Admittedly, it might not seem like it at times. I have trouble actually conveying what I intend to. But I assure you, I respect all opinions and and accept them. For example, I consider Glac a friend, and I used to dislike her for her bashing of Ike. But it wasn't specifically her dislike of Ike that made me dislike her, it was how she treated/conveyed that dislike. She's not really behaving like that anymore and I've gotten to know her better, so we get along better now.

15 minutes ago, Phoenix_Kensai said:

From my own experiences and what I've heard others say, it seems common to feel like your opinions are unpopular, especially if you're insecure about them for any reason (and I am, that's for sure). It's easy to focus on what you like that others don't and feel like the world is against you, but... I'd say it's the same for most anyone. Everyone likes a lot of different things, a lot of those likes just won't happen to line up with whatever is most popular, and that makes them stand out. So you're just not "with the flow" when it comes to a lot of things, and you start feeling like an outsider because of it.

I'd recommend focusing on what you do like that is popular, even if it's not the absolute top of the list. Take Ike, for example; he's one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters out there. A lot of things you like won't be popular, and some might be downright hated, but I think that's true for everyone. If anything, going against the grain sometimes makes you more like others, even if it doesn't feel like it. Besides, liking unpopular things can be fun when you're not surrounded by negativity about them; that means you get to tell everyone why you think they're so great.

And sharing things you like with others can be fun, too. So that would be the other thing I'd suggest you focus on. Tell us what you like about some of those games, movies, or characters that you're willing to talk about. Skyward Sword and Super Paper Mario weren't my favorite Zelda or Paper Mario games, but I thought they were pretty good.

Yeah, but when I start talking about things like Ike a lot, people want me to shut up. Which I understand, I wouldn't want someone to talk about something too much either. xP I guess I'll just have to find a balance here somewhere.

Okay, yeah. I loved Skyward Sword and Super Paper Mario mainly for their stories. They're absolutely wonderful. And unlike a lot of people, I loved SS's swordplay. I get that it wasn't ideal for lefties, but I enjoyed being able to swing the wii remote like a sword. It also made the game harder because you had to hit many enemies a certain way to damage them. It added to the fun of figuring out how to damage them. SS had great dungeons too. And I love the colorful graphics and levels of Paper Mario games in general. SPM also played more like a classic Mario game rather than a turn based RPG which I just don't like as much unless it's a game like FE or Pokemon.

There's a lot of things I love about Ike which I've mentioned many times on this forum. :P Ezlo is absolutely hilarious and I felt bad for him at the end of TMC.

I'm a big fan of Disney, so a lot of my favorite movies are Disney. If I like a movie a lot, it's because of the story, mainly. I don't pay as much attention to the acting or anything. xP

@Water Mage This isn't about having different or the same opinions though, it's about having unpopular ones?

@Crushie Yeah, I'm looking to be an artist of sorts, but I'm not really good yet. I'll get there though.

Edited by Anacybele

Thanks for sharing. Personally, I don't have any friends who like FE or anime, so it's pretty much impossible for me to share any sort of opinions, popular or unpopular, with any one outside of the internet, and you can be sure that's a little boring to say the least. It doesn't help with the places full of elitists out there online who seem to think they have a higher sense of judgement/opinion over something than you. So outside of one-on-one conversations with others, i rarely talk about what I like much elsewhere. Perhaps it's not the same as being involved in a large conversation in a thread about something, but I find those conversations to be a whole lot more interesting than being on a thread with a larger crowd discussing the same topic. Not a solution I guess or advice, but not much else I can say in a sense of suggestion.

Unpopular opinions are a sign of originality, you should feel good about them!

Personally I don't check how popular my opinions are though, I just talk about opinions sometimes and it doesn't bother me when my opinions are rare.

Edited by Gradivus.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

True, though I'd say for me, Nostalgia is only half of it. PoR was my first FE game while RD was my second, and they are still my favorite FEs. Gen 4 was the first Pokemon gen I actually played seriously and all the way through. But Skyward Sword and TMC were not my first Zelda games by a long shot. ALttP and OoT were, and OoT is lowish on my list. ALttP is fairly high tho. My first Mario games were the original SMB trio, the updated SNES versions. And I don't rate them as high as Luigi's Mansion or SMG/SMG2.

But yeah, nostalgia is kind of a factor. Super Paper Mario is kind of nostalgic for me too since the first level was basically an SMB throwback.

You're wrong. I fully respect and accept everyone's opinions. Admittedly, it might not seem like it at times. I have trouble actually conveying what I intend to. But I assure you, I respect all opinions and and accept them. For example, I consider Glac a friend, and I used to dislike her for her bashing of Ike. But it wasn't specifically her dislike of Ike that made me dislike her, it was how she treated/conveyed that dislike. She's not really behaving like that anymore and I've gotten to know her better, so we get along better now.

Yeah, but when I start talking about things like Ike a lot, people want me to shut up. Which I understand, I wouldn't want someone to talk about something too much either. xP I guess I'll just have to find a balance here somewhere.

Okay, yeah. I loved Skyward Sword and Super Paper Mario mainly for their stories. They're absolutely wonderful. And unlike a lot of people, I loved SS's swordplay. I get that it wasn't ideal for lefties, but I enjoyed being able to swing the wii remote like a sword. It also made the game harder because you had to hit many enemies a certain way to damage them. It added to the fun of figuring out how to damage them. SS had great dungeons too. And I love the colorful graphics and levels of Paper Mario games in general. SPM also played more like a classic Mario game rather than a turn based RPG which I just don't like as much unless it's a game like FE or Pokemon.

There's a lot of things I love about Ike which I've mentioned many times on this forum. :P Ezlo is absolutely hilarious and I felt bad for him at the end of TMC.

I'm a big fan of Disney, so a lot of my favorite movies are Disney. If I like a movie a lot, it's because of the story, mainly. I don't pay as much attention to the acting or anything. xP

@Water Mage This isn't about having different or the same opinions though, it's about having unpopular ones?

@Crushie Yeah, I'm looking to be an artist of sorts, but I'm not really good yet. I'll get there though.

Having an unpopular opinon means having a different opinion than other people. And that just how it is. Besides, an unpopular opinion is better than you think. After all, people tend to despise anything that becomes too popular. Just look what happened to Frozen and Fire Emblem Awakening.

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Having an unpopular opinon means having a different opinion than other people. And that just how it is. Besides, an unpopular opinion is better than you think. After all, people tend to despise anything that becomes too popular. Just look what happened to Frozen and Fire Emblem Awakening.

I haven't seen anything but love for Frozen and Awakening though (except on SF for the latter). Where is there any hate for them? I do agree that hating something because it's popular is dumb though.

Edited by Anacybele

I would just ignore what the "popular" things that are liked are, and just like what you like. You are not the only one like that. I think everyone has something they like that is either considered "bad" by the general populace, or is all but unheard of.

For example, I am a HUGE fan of the Exiles comics from Marvel. Nobody even remembers that team. They were an obscure Xmen team that reality hopped. It had so many characters I loved, including my favorite comic book character, Blink. Nobody really remembers her either outside of those that read either Age of Apocalypse, Exiles, or Phalanx Covenant. I never let it bother me because I enjoyed it, and in the end all that matters is that I enjoy it.

It happens, someone always has an opinion or favorite that is unpopular. Its unavoidable, and the best thing to do is just like what you like, and leave it at that.

So you have many things you like and make you happy, uninfluenced by the larger world as a whole. I see no problem there. And consider the fact that if you're opinion was really something so irrelevant, then you wouldn't have generated a page and a half worth of responses in just two hours.

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So you have many things you like and make you happy, uninfluenced by the larger world as a whole. I see no problem there. And consider the fact that if you're opinion was really something so irrelevant, then you wouldn't have generated a page and a half worth of responses in just two hours.

Hm, I suppose you have a point there. Glad they're at least relevant. :P

16 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I would just ignore what the "popular" things that are liked are, and just like what you like. You are not the only one like that. I think everyone has something they like that is either considered "bad" by the general populace, or is all but unheard of.

For example, I am a HUGE fan of the Exiles comics from Marvel. Nobody even remembers that team. They were an obscure Xmen team that reality hopped. It had so many characters I loved, including my favorite comic book character, Blink. Nobody really remembers her either outside of those that read either Age of Apocalypse, Exiles, or Phalanx Covenant. I never let it bother me because I enjoyed it, and in the end all that matters is that I enjoy it.

It happens, someone always has an opinion or favorite that is unpopular. Its unavoidable, and the best thing to do is just like what you like, and leave it at that.

Yeah, again, I get that everyone has a few things that are considered "bad" or "unheard of" and whatnot. I just felt like I had more than the usual here.

I am pretty much echoing what was already said, but everyone has unpopular opinions, and I am sure there are plenty of people here with even more than you, but not everyone lists them all out. In pokemon, a lot of my favorite Pokemon (Arcanine and Machamp for example) are not exactly as popular as other pokemon you listed (even though I do like Lucario and Gardevour) and even in Fire Emblem, along with a lot of popular lords, I also like significantly more obscure characters just as much (like Muarim), and in Fates, I actually like Ryoma a lot more than Xander even though everyone says his supports and personality are boring. There are also a lot of popular Lords (Ike and Lucina) that I do want to like, but for some reason I just don’t (though I never finished watching the playthroughs for POR or Awakening, so that's probably why). I even have others that I don’t even dare to show here. And that is not even getting into real life, where I do not know a single person who likes Fire Emblem as much as I do (if they like it at all). It is just a matter of where you look.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I haven't seen anything but love for Frozen and Awakening though (except on SF for the latter). Where is there any hate for them? I do agree that hating something because it's popular is dumb though.

You must have never looked at youtube comments...

Edited by Blade_of_Light

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I think gen 3 in Pokemon is the worst gen and it seems to be the most popular. I think gen 4 is the best and it seems to be the least popular.

Funny, I've always heard good opinions of Gen 4 and hatred for Gen 3

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

You're wrong. I fully respect and accept everyone's opinions. Admittedly, it might not seem like it at times. I have trouble actually conveying what I intend to. But I assure you, I respect all opinions and and accept them. For example, I consider Glac a friend, and I used to dislike her for her bashing of Ike. But it wasn't specifically her dislike of Ike that made me dislike her, it was how she treated/conveyed that dislike. She's not really behaving like that anymore and I've gotten to know her better, so we get along better no

I was referring to some of your (older) posts in the US politics thread where you reacted aggrevated to some replies and even ignored opinions and facts. (at least it seemed that way to me)
Well, if you want proof, then I'll take myself the time to look for the posts I was referring to.

1 hour ago, Integrity said:

you don't have more, you just express them more freely and people react to how you act more negatively than to other people

There's a whole host of things I could say, but this probably sums it up the best. If one finds themselves getting into arguments, it's normally more about attitude than their beliefs.

6 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I wouldn't let it get to you, an opinion is just that, an opinion.

Who cares really?

Popular opinions are boring, anyway.  Praise be Phantom Hourglass.

Yeah, that's one example.  I rather dislike Phantom Hourglass, but I enjoy discussing our different opinions on Zelda, and appreciate how much you like Linebeck.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, that's one example.  I rather dislike Phantom Hourglass, but I enjoy discussing our different opinions on Zelda, and appreciate how much you like Linebeck.

Well, to be fair, Linebeck is basically the one thing about PH that IS popular haha.  I just happen to be among the few who like the rest of the game.

4 hours ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Also, you're worried about people not liking A Link Between Worlds? Holy crap, I must be out of it, because objectively I think it's the best Zelda game made (definitely 2D, can argue BotW for 3D). I may happen to like Link's Awakening and Zelda II more, but ALBW was a masterpiece through and through.

4 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I don't keep up with Zelda like I used to, but I loved ALBW.  It helps that A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game.

I'm another one that loves ALBW. Overall it's one of my Top 5 Zeldas, but it has my favorite ending in the whole series (and it's a serious contender for best ending ever in a video game).

The most important question to ask yourself is this: why does it hurt you that your opinions are generally unpopular? Why does it hurt so much to think you have bad tastes? Why would you want your opinion to be popular anyway?

Imo, there's only one time when a person should worry about their opinion being unpopular. And that's when an unpopular opinion has the very real possibility of doing actual harm to people, or the environment, or the world around them. If it's about media or stuff, I don't care how unpopular my opinions are. Only one of my favorite FE characters could qualify as popular, and he's from the most recent entry. And I've never cared that people don't like the same characters as me. Where do you get the impression that gen 3 is the least popular Pokemon generation anyway? I always got the impression it was gen 5 or gen 6, so maybe your perceptions of what may be an unpopular opinion aren't necessarily correct either.

Attempt to not care whether your opinion is unpopular or not.

You are free to keep your opinions to yourself, just as you're free to have your opinion, and I'm free to disagree with it.

Different opinions on trivial thinks is what makes the world interesting, IMO.

I get how you feel. For me, merch isn't such a big deal. If I find something, great! I'm usually not looking. I just like having someone to talk to (in real life) about the stuff I like. T.V. shows, video games, music, etc... When the thing you love isn't super popular, it's almost impossible to find a dinner date conversation. (Not that I have to talk about my nerdy guilty pleasures...but it's always a plus.) 

But the thing is, I don't get discouraged when my stuff is unpopular. There's always something to talk about, something new to get invested in. My best friend in the whole wide world is obsessed with the Tales of~~ series games which I think is pretty popular. I've tried countless times to play them, and i just can't get into them because I don't really like the battle mechanics (most of all) and the world building (to a lesser degree). But I'm content watching the anime and letting her nerd out about all the plot points I might not understand. She loves it, and she also tolerates my obscure interests when it's my turn to corrupt her. I get excited seeing her excited about stuff.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't recommend stuff. If someone asks me for anime recommendations, I'll always throw in some obscure weird ones. There's always potential to convert new fans. And just because they're not popular doesn't mean they're not good. Yukimura is my favorite character from Birthright. I was worried about using him because most everything about him said he was awful. I made him work for me, and he's still a fave character. The most important thing is to remember that opinions are just opinions. It doesn't really matter which Hogwarts house you're in, if you've been watching Star Trek since the series began, or if the only Khan you know is Flavia and Basilio Benedict Cumberbatch.  Just love what you love. If it's unpopular, it'll be even more special when you find someone to talk about it with. 

Sorry, I got busy later in the day, so late reply. I guess a lot of you have good points and that I'm looking too much into this. I guess I can still make recommendations, and if the other person still doesn't like it, they don't. I actually recommended FE to my stepbrother awhile back, and he tried PoR, but that type of gameplay just wasn't what he liked (he said he preferred stuff like Zelda where he moves one character throughout a game world which is fine). So I moved on.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That's a fair point. I'm sure that's not just you, but... it's about finding a balance, like you said. I'd offer advice if I could, but generally I don't talk much about my interests.

So... maybe I shouldn't be giving advice I don't follow myself. But I think it can be fun to share things you like with others, at least... even if I often keep to myself.

I hope things work out one way or another, anyway.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I have seen a lot of people praise Super Paper Mario's story, and I have to agree with you there too. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember thinking it was pretty good. While I prefer RPGs to classic Mario-style platformers, I didn't mind Super Paper Mario trying something different, and I thought the gameplay turned out to be fun.

I'm less sure what people tend to think of Skyward Sword's story, I thought it was good too, from what I remember; I liked the characters, and I enjoyed how it was different from a standard Zelda story. And the sword combat might not have been perfect, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by how it turned out. I thought it was fun, too, and it sometimes added an interesting twist to battles.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix_Kensai said:

That's a fair point. I'm sure that's not just you, but... it's about finding a balance, like you said. I'd offer advice if I could, but generally I don't talk much about my interests.

So... maybe I shouldn't be giving advice I don't follow myself. But I think it can be fun to share things you like with others, at least... even if I often keep to myself.

I hope things work out one way or another, anyway.

I have seen a lot of people praise Super Paper Mario's story, and I have to agree with you there too. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember thinking it was pretty good. While I prefer RPGs to classic Mario-style platformers, I didn't mind Super Paper Mario trying something different, and I thought the gameplay turned out to be fun.

I'm less sure what people tend to think of Skyward Sword's story, I thought it was good too, from what I remember; I liked the characters, and I enjoyed how it was different from a standard Zelda story. And the sword combat might not have been perfect, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by how it turned out. I thought it was fun, too, and it sometimes added an interesting twist to battles.

Oh yeah, I like sharing my likes and interests with people, and my creations since I am an artist and sort of a writer.

I'm glad to know people generally do like SPM and SS's stories. Stories seem to be the only thing I actually have "good taste" in and that's ironic because I always sucked in literature classes and couldn't interpret a book we read for the life of me. I could never answer the homework questions when they asked stuff like "what was the moral of this story" or "why did character X do this and how did they learn from it?" I couldn't do it. xP Maybe video game stories are just easier to figure out? I dunno. But my favorite book series seems to be kind of popular at least since it got at least one movie and it's been around since the freakin' 40s (Nancy Drew).

Edited by Anacybele

Anacybele, your problem isn't what your opinions are, but in how you express them. Hell, in the first few posts of this topic, you antagonized people who were trying to sympathize with and help you. You make it too easy for people to be at odds with you, which is why you've so often had quarrels with others on this site. You and I share the same favorite Fire Emblem game, a ridiculously divisive title, yet the way you express your interest in it (and the parts you don't like) usually makes me not want to agree with you.

Let me correct a few of these:

9 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I think gen 3 in Pokemon is the worst gen and it seems to be the most popular. I think gen 4 is the best and it seems to be the least popular.

Gen 4 might be the least popular, but gen 3 certainly isn't the most. Gen 1, 2, and possibly now 7 are ahead of it.

The Galaxy games are my favorite Mario titles (other than the Luigi's Mansion games which actually does seem to be something that's generally liked, though not really loved), but they seem to be the least favorite of the 3D games these days.

Galaxy is preferred over Sunshine. Easily. 64 is the most popular but there's arguably a lot of nostalgia there.

As for Fire Emblem, FE7 and Awakening are my least favorites, but they're the most popular (probably alongside Fates). Tellius is my favorite, of course, but I'm finding that they're not as liked as I thought they were. I knew people were generally split on RD, but I thought PoR was the most common favorite after the 3DS games. At least on this site. But that's not the case with that tier list in General FE (which is really disappointing so far to me. It looks like Tellius is actually disliked).

Blazing Blade, Awakening, and Fates are certainly popular, but Path of Radiance is easily up there with them. Keep in mind that Awakening and Fates tend to draw very different audiences than the rest of the series and Fates itself is pretty divisive, with Conquest generally being liked but Birthright not so much and Revelation more disliked than anything. And don't take the tier list in Gen FE too seriously, it's using a flawed system and isn't getting a large sample size.

The only super popular FE character I like is Ike. Ephraim almost gets there, but he wasn't a top 5 in the Heroes poll. Though he is still popular in his own right, so I suppose he still sorta counts. There are no popular females I like whatsoever. (...Well, maybe Cordelia counts enough there. But she'd be the only one)

Ephraim was what, 6? There's a clear problem of undervaluing here. Ephraim is very popular, even beating Chrom in the voting gauntlet and beating out hundreds of others in the popularity poll, yet this apparently isn't good enough for you since he wasn't in the top 5. I was just happy to see Anna in the top 20.

This is a little out of the way, but since I've got the chance I'll bring it up. Your dislike of Lucina baffles me and seems completely backwards since, based on my knowledge of you, she should be everything you want in a female character. She's not sexualized in any way, she's strong, relevant, generally well-written, never a damsel in distress, etc. Your hatred of someone like Camilla I understand, but Lucina? Why?

My favorite Zelda character outside of Link and Zelda is Ezlo. I don't see many people talk about him. The most popular Zelda character other than those two title characters seems to be Midna. I don't care much for her and don't see her appeal at all.

People don't talk about Ezlo much because The Minish Cap isn't the most popular Zelda game, but the people who played it generally liked it to my knowledge. Part of the problem is that it came out on GBA after the DS released in North America.

You're giving too much weight to the opinions of those who disagree with you and not enough to those who agree with you. You're bad at taking criticism and too quick to try to defend yourself when there's no need. You can be pointlessly aggressive and insensitive when expressing yourself, because you probably don't think about how others might react first. For a while now I've largely just stopped responding to whatever you post even if I'm tempted to because I know conversations with you rarely lead anywhere positive. I'm responding here because I have hope that you're actually looking for advice rather than validation.