Voting Gauntlet: War of the Clerics

Vaximillian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The voting gauntlet is just so broken.  I have no idea how close Priscilla and Elise actually are because of the multipliers.  I'd rather go back to having the waifu/smash win all the time...

If team Elise loses, I think I might actually explode

I think the worst thing about the multiplier is how it robs the underdogs of having an easier time ranking since the point counts are so similar by the end!

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I think the worst thing about the multiplier is how it robs the underdogs of having an easier time ranking since the point counts are so similar by the end!

The most annoying thing is all the people on reddit making posts about how their character is going to win when it's really just the multiplier doing its thing...

Priscilla's lead decreased by 143,178,895 now with a lead of 707,330,238, which is a slight more of a decrease than the last hour (142,086,233) once again assuming I didn't mess up the math. Priscilla is still on track to lose at the rate this is going at.

5 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

But the whole reason it was easier to rank for the underdogs is because you have less people to compete with, which is still true? There's also the fact that they get more multipliers, which only adds to how easy they can rank. The only thing that has changed is that the underdogs now actually have somewhat of a chance to get those 500 feathers for winning as well.

I think there's now even more reason to pick the underdog then before. Then again, actually being online for the multiplier seems to be way more important then anything else, as I managed to place in the top 1k for both the first and second round in team Elise, and it might even happen this round as well. This would have been pretty much impossible in the first two gauntlets, especially since I didn't even play that many battles. This multiplier thing really is pretty broken. I'm not complaining about getting to promote two five stars in one week though.

Yeah, the argument that this is first and foremost a game mode and a popularity context second seems kind of lackluster when the multiplier makes it essentially a contest of luck. Where's the fun in that? 

8 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Yeah, the argument that this is first and foremost a game mode and a popularity context second seems kind of lackluster when the multiplier makes it essentially a contest of luck. Where's the fun in that? 

On top of that, take away the multiplier entirely and Priscilla would not only not be in the lead but would be getting her ass kicked. While I won't deny that the gauntlet had problems from the very beginning, adding the multiplier and then doubling down on it was the absolute wrong way to fix things as far as I'm concerned. 

The old 3x multiplier was probably better on all accounts. In particular, the underdog got the multiplier more often because by the end, they simply couldn't earn enough points to beat out the favorite within a single hour, resulting in them getting the multiplier again within another 2 or 3 hours.

The current system spaces out the multipliers too much, making it easier to miss them, which is rather frustrating.

That said, the old system also made it nearly impossible for the favorite to get a multiplier after the first 6 hours or so.

Priscilla's lead dropped by about 158,964,389 this time, which is notably higher than the previous two hours (about 15,000,000 more). Might be a sign that we of Team Elise are done playing games and are now unloading everything we got.

I think I liked the 3x multiplier better too.  Mainly because with the current one, I was unsure about spending flags on the multiplier early on (I ended up doing it, and it was a good choice).  It's nice to just be able to go all out and not second guess it... Less uncertainty, haha.  I personally don't want to go back to the system without a multiplier, though.  I think it makes things more interesting.  

I don't see Priscilla winning this.  She put up a good fight, though!  :^_^:  I'm glad I sided with her because it was probably easier to get a good rank.  My current army rank is 1381 and my overall rank is 4216.  I have a score of 1,052,920 right now and 225 flags left to spend.  Mmm, feathers.

I haven't been taking this gauntlet too seriously (was on Team Clarine, now on Team Elise), but the "growing multiplier" is a bit BS. I understand the desire for more closer matchups, but I rather have the previous "x3 only" or "no multiplier at all" than the current iteration. Not only that, but I find that having multipliers play a part in cumulative scores screws over people who can not or do not check their phones constantly throughout the day. This is especially the case if a multiplier happens when one is asleep or at work.

Honestly, these would be my suggestions.

1. If keeping multipliers, the extra points are not counted in terms of Cumulative scores. I would count out Army Ranking as well, but I suppose there should be some incentive to be "lucky" if a multiplier comes around.

2. If keeping multipliers, keep it a consistent x3 for scoring. Try lowering the threshold from 10% to 7%, or even 5% so the multiplier can kick in more often for the losing side.

3. Change the points system to be similar to Splatoon Splatfests, which was another form of a popularity contest. For the formula used...

The final score is calculated based both on popularity and on wins. The formula is as follows: Final Score (out of 700) = Popularity Percentage + (Win Percentage × 6)

When the Squid Sisters announce the results, the highest of the popularity and win percentages are both individually highlighted before the final results are shown.

Thing is, this will practically revamp Voting Gauntlets entirely and the usage of Flags will likely need to be revised or removed. However, since this is an overhaul, I doubt such a thing will actually happen.

Priscilla's lead is getting smaller and smaller, Elise going to win. Period.

I should have just went Elise. I purposefully went other characters (Even if I have Sakura and like FE7) because I thought that there would be more feathers to gain from picking losing characters but the multipliers have been so random and happening at the worst times that I've been missing them and really could have just used those 1000 (soon to be 1500) victory feathers that I won't be getting. I missed one key multiplier at somewhere around 7-8AM and my rank shot up from the 2000s to 8000. Even after catching the next (and last) one and burning the last of my feathers I'm only at around upper 6k though. This gauntlet is estimated to leave me at around 18-19k feathers. Had I gone Elise I would have cleanly hit 20-21k. Tharja was the right choice last VG.

From here on out I'm just sticking with the favorites.

Edited by Zeo

I would have no problems with the multiplier if it didn't necessitate having to play at certain hours, many of which are not sleep/work/school friendly, in order to remain competitive.  I saw someone on reddit suggest something like giving each player multiplier "charges" that can be used at any time after the fact, which I thought was an interesting solution.  Ideally the whole game mode is revamped at some point, but I'll take the gradual tweaks and improvements. 

I don't have flags left, used all of them already for Priscilla... Well, I hardly played this gauntlet, since I was too bussy to play, but at least got a lot of feathers (mostly thanks to Sakura), now I can promote 2 characters to 5* .

Hourly update: Priscilla's lead dropped by about 190,267,549 (compared to dropping by about 158,964,389 last time). It is pretty safe to say at this point her lead will be completely gone in two hours.

12 minutes ago, JediJose said:

Blazing Sword is best Fire Emblem!!!!

But your favourite is Binding Blade..... :P

Aside from that, because nobody tried to convince me I want Elise. It's been odd, and I missed all the multipliers. But still, we'll see how it ends.

The old gauntlets frankly weren't much better. Classic gauntlet had little incentive for joining another team (you could maybe earn more Army Rank feathers... or you could just join the Goliath and get the guaranteed 500 and still probably score high) and cumulative scoring was just about setting an alarm for every 30 minutes. Mage gauntlet still required you to be awake for multipliers or you're fucked.

Really, the whole thing needs an overhaul. Let "battles" accumulate rather than requiring 30 minute spam, have bonuses be distributed to losing teams like once every 12 hours or so instead of a temporary fuck you bonus for a single hour, provide bonuses for units other than the lead (Elise plus Effie and Arthur! Priscilla plus Raven and Lucius!), maybe even have scoring be determined by your unit's value instead of just 10 plus 0-90 for having a friendlist (quality vs. quantity).

Both incarnations have been pretty meh. The first one was cool just because it was the first one and it was new. But the most popular character destroying everyone was a bit uninteresting.(even if I happened to be on that team every time..) Now with the amped up multipliers it's still uninteresting since it's more on luck who wins, plus kills the score of anybody not on the less popular team. I will argue that the original true popularity contest nature of it was still better, since it IS a popularity contest, even as it is now. It's just become mired in artificial competition and hugely inflated scores to where it feels pointless.

I think the best system I've seen for something similar to the gauntlets is still Splatoon's Splatfests. And they similarly had an issue with team popularity making the underdog have no way to win, so they changed it so victories from matches weighed more on the score. Then it became a lot more well matched, competitive, and fun. Popularity still counted, but if your team wasn't as good at winning matches you could easily still lose. But I can't think of how they could do a similar thing here since the game's not real pvp like Splatoon, obviously. And making the gauntlet basically arena 2.0 might not be the best answer either. We really need an overhaul in some way, though.

Edited by Alkaid

Priscilla has a tiny 180 million lead with three and a half hours to go.

We’re done for. This was a good fight. Congratulations Team Elise.

Without the multiplier, Elise would have steamrolled the whole thing, so I’m ehhhh on the controversy.

I'm now kinda curious who between Lachesis or Priscilla would've fared better against Elise without the multiplier. It's a rather safe assumption that Sakura would've fared the best given she's significantly more popular than either of the aforementioned two. It is interesting to note that Lachesis actually placed a tiny bit higher than Priscilla in CYL, four places higher (188 to 192) with only a difference of 60 votes. Don't mind me, I'm just musing at this point.