Jump to content
BlackSymphony

What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The thing i don't like about Sigurd though, is that he's basically this perfect figure with no weakness. Now, i wouldn't have minded that, except he doesn't even have a good personality (granted, what constitutes as "good" will vary from person to person). Characters like Alm are also perfect Lords, but they at least have a good, memorable personality. Sigurd, on the other hand, is the most boring Lord in my opinion, and it doesn't help that it feels like he's perfection incarnate (apart from getting roasted in the end).

At the very least, however, Sigurd in the manga has a good personality. Is what Sigurd should've been like in the actual game.

The whole point is that Sigurd, despite sharing many traits of lords like Marth, fails. His weakness is that his impulsiveness and seemingly "good deeds" actually catch up with him.

The entire reason the Lopto Sect manages to get as tight of a hold over Jugdral as they do it because they're able to use basically everything Sigurd does against him, and Arvis is more or less able to flat out murder him with complete impunity, and everyone left is, for the most part, completely okay with it.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slumber said:

The whole point is that Sigurd, despite sharing many traits of lords like Marth, fails. His weakness is that his impulsiveness actually catches up with him.

The entire reason the Lopto Sect manages to get as tight of a hold over Jugdral as they do it because they're able to use basically everything Sigurd does against him, and Arvis is more or less able to flat out murder him with complete impunity, and everyone left is, for the most part, completely okay with it.

I wouldn't really say that he's impulsive. I mean, he was in the beginning, but in Ch.2, a simple request to defend Nodion Castle escalated into war. That had nothing to with Sigurd being impulsive. Ch.3 and onwards essentially has Sigurd being the one being attacked.

Actually, the reason the Lopto Sect was able to take over Jugdral was because Deidre didn't stay put. Sigurd was unlucky but i wouldn't say he failed because of his own impulsiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Actually, the reason the Lopto Sect was able to take over Jugdral was because Deidre didn't stay put. Sigurd was unlucky but i wouldn't say he failed because of his own impulsiveness.

Deidre getting captured and Julius being born isn't really why the Lopto sect got to take over Jugdral. Those are more long-con things that pay off more in Seliph's story. Sigurd essentially instigated a massive, continental war. Granted, the war was probably going to happen as the state of Jugdral was already teetering on war and the Lopto sect was already pulling strings, but Arvis killing Sigurd as a traitor was the move the Lopto sect needed to start exposing itself across the continent.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only good axe users are the mercenaries and paladins. 

Reasons. They have high skills and decent luck stats...something where most axe users lack in...except Barst, Hector I think.

Its this that makes me wonder...why do the games give you axe users to begin with if they have issues hitting?

 

 

Edited by Harvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harvey said:

The only good axe users are the mercenaries and paladins. 

Reasons. They have high skills and decent luck stats...something where most axe users lack in...except Barst, Hector I think.

Its this that makes me wonder...  Why do the games give you axe users to begin with if they issues hitting?

Because IS is too biased in favor of Swords to see the recurring issues with their Axe-wielding characters.

But they're obligated to include them because the Weapon Triangle is a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Are you specifically referring to me? Because this is the only forum topic where me and Harvey have actually argued.

Actually no, just realized my wording made it look that way, sorry about that - yours just kind of ended up being the last post I saw before writing mine and I guess I unintentionally took it out more on you than anyone else.

I just get kind of tired of arguments in general, I guess - I mean in this instance, the point is unpopular FE opinions, I don't see why it matters how they're worded or whether it's someone being ticked at such-and-such game or character because that's the entire point of the thread - it's basically an excuse to let off steam at whatever FE trait/game/character you have issues with because in theory you're the minority. Was he perhaps wording it wrong by stating it as a fact instead of an opinion among other things? Probably. Why does anyone care on a thread like this, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Because IS is too biased in favor of Swords to see the recurring issues with their Axe-wielding characters.

But they're obligated to include them because the Weapon Triangle is a thing.

Yeah I guess. Although I'm not sure how the weapon triangle can give them the advantage over lances since it only boosts the hit rate slightly.

 

Edited by Harvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harvey said:

Yeah, I guess.  Although I'm not sure how the Weapon Triangle can give them the advantage over lances since it only boosts the hit rate slightly.

Note that the Weapon Triangle not only increases your accuracy if you're on the favorable end, but also decreases your enemy's accuracy.

More variety in stat build for units of given classes would still be nice, though.  (Such as more Skill-oriented Axe users or more Strength-oriented Sword users, for example.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Harvey said:

The only good axe users are the mercenaries and paladins. 

Reasons. They have high skills and decent luck stats...something where most axe users lack in...except Barst, Hector I think.

Its this that makes me wonder...why do the games give you axe users to begin with if they have issues hitting?

 

 

You must not have seen Boyd in both games.

Guy's a fighter through and through and destroys.

Nolan from RD isn't too shabby either.

Not to mention an innocuous gentleman by the name of Haar. You might have heard of him.

Jill's decent but tends to get strength-screwed a lot.

Basically, Tellius axes are badass for the most part in pretty much any class.

I also remember axes being pretty decent in Fates and Awakening.

Most Elibe axes and Jugdral axes...ehhhh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axes tend to be more accurate in Tellius because supports affect more the accuracy than in others parts and biorhythm is a thing.
You see 100% accuracy on Boyd / Nolan often enough when they fight with best biorhythm against an opponent with worst biorhythm.
Haar has great hitrate too for being second tier already with very high base skill.

Speaking of weapons I find lances worse than axes overall because they only have weapon advantage against dodgy classes which even tend to have critrate like swordmasters.

The reason why GBA peg. knights are worse than in Tellius and FE12 is because of the con thing. Since they have low con they have massive speed penalty and low evasion by using heavier lances. So the weapon advantage against swords is pretty much negated already.
Thany can rarely double aside with slim lances. With her low strength base and growth she will have a hard to time to damage the enemies seriously.
I prefer peg. knights who can use swords first or get it as second weapon type by default.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Most Elibe axes and Jugdral axes...ehhhh.

Axes are pretty decent in Thracia. Halvan and Orsin are built like mercenaries who use axes instead, and Marty/Dagdar are both good utility units. 

Dalsin kind of sucks, but that's mostly because he's an armor unit in a game where everyone has the same caps, meaning he just has another weakness to look out for compared to everyone else. Hicks and Brighton are solid Axe Cavs, but their only problems are shared by every cav that doesn't main swords, which is that they're forced to change weapons when they dismount. 

Plus, on the whole, they dropped their ridiculous weights from FE4. Their accuracy is similar to Binding, but axe users typically have much higher skill than in that game(And enemies have lower speed), making the hit to hit a bit easier to deal with, and most other weapon types don't have particularly great hit rates either. 

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Axes are pretty decent in Thracia. Halvan and Orsin are built like mercenaries who use axes instead, and Marty/Dagdar are both good utility units. 

Dalsin kind of sucks, but that's mostly because he's an armor unit in a game where everyone has the same caps, meaning he just has another weakness to look out for compared to everyone else. Hicks and Brighton are solid Axe Cavs, but their only problems are shared by every cav that doesn't main swords, which is that they're forced to change weapons when they dismount. 

Plus, on the whole, they dropped their ridiculous weights from FE4. Their accuracy is similar to Binding, but axe users typically have much higher skill than in that game, making the hit to hit a bit easier to deal with. 

Yeah, my bad, I should have clarified, I meant axes in Genealogy. I've never played Thracia, so I can't comment on how good they are in that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Yeah, my bad, I should have clarified, I meant axes in Genealogy. I've never played Thracia, so I can't comment on how good they are in that game.

It's coo. It's not like axes are AMAZING in Thracia, but the units in Thracia that happen to wield axes are just above(And in Orsin's case, he might actually be the best axe unit in the franchise) the typical average for axe units in the franchise, and the downsides of axes are a lot easier to deal with due to how the game's balance works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- FE12!Michalis is amazing (when he's around). Reclass to SM (you don't even need merged sets) + RP and he literally has capped speed at base.

- Cyas > Ced

- Birthright > Conquest

- Echoes is the worst 3DS game (probably not that unpopular around here)

- PoR and FE4 are both the most boring experiences i've ever had with Fire Emblem (the latter is probably a lot more common than the former)

- Thracia isn't difficult. Just use warp m9

- Titania > Seth (SS even on the hardest difficulty is possible without Seth since you have units like Franz and Vanessa early on. PoR is pretty much impossible without Titania, even with kickass units like Oscar)

- Roy > PoR!Ike

- FE12 Lunatic Reverse is actually very flexible with the units that are viable (more than you might think). Team comps are one of the least important things in this game.

- Luck is actually really useful (in Gaiden and New Mystery that is)

- Gordin and Jeorge in FE3 are the two best foot archers in the series

- RD!Jill > RD!Haar

Edited by Ziggy McDougal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Is it that unpopular to find Charlotte to be more trouble than she is worth? I hardly use her that much as she is underleveled when recruited and is equipped with a weapon that hurts her ability to double and dodge. She also has horrid accuracy (and I simply dislike her, personally). I only find use for her as a backpack for the man I choose to be her husband and for Hexing Rod bait. In fact, none of the default fighters are that great (Beruka, Benoit,  and Flannel/Keaton make for better Beserkers as they have much better bulk with the former being able to hit things more consistently). Of course, a fair number of people on this site dislike infantry axe users for various reasons, so I might not be alone here.  

-The love for Oboro on this site perplexes me a tad (I find her not all that remarkable, myself). I guess she seems like a good character when she has two gimmicks (the "scary face" and fashion) instead of one like most of the characters.

-Not sure if this unpopular, but I really care more about Ike in Smash Bros. than in his games. I just like his power and large hitboxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KoimanZX said:

-Is it that unpopular to find Charlotte to be more trouble than she is worth? I hardly use her that much as she is underleveled when recruited and is equipped with a weapon that hurts her ability to double and dodge. She also has horrid accuracy (and I simply dislike her, personally). I only find use for her as a backpack for the man I choose to be her husband and for Hexing Rod bait. In fact, none of the default fighters are that great (Beruka, Benoit,  and Flannel/Keaton make for better Beserkers as they have much better bulk with the former being able to hit things more consistently). Of course, a fair number of people on this site dislike infantry axe users for various reasons, so I might not be alone here.  

-The love for Oboro on this site perplexes me a tad (I find her not all that remarkable, myself). I guess she seems like a good character when she has two gimmicks (the "scary face" and fashion) instead of one like most of the characters.

-Not sure if this unpopular, but I really care more about Ike in Smash Bros. than in his games. I just like his power and large hitboxes. 

1- Charlotte's Accuracy does suck, but you can make her Crit more than make up for it if you put time and effort into it like nobody on here does - I Skirmished a friend who had a Charlotte with 100% Crit in almost every fight without hacks, not quite sure exactly how, but he did it and I hated her. Overall, though, infantry Axers get overshadowed by Camilla and Beruka alone - not to mention any Great Knight you use - just looking at Movement.

2- I think the Oboro obsession is mostly just Arcanite and Anime27Arts. She also has the ultra-devoted-Retainer gimmick in addition to the two you mentioned(I never marry her to anyone but Takumi because it's one of the few pairings I've seen that I can approve of), plus she's a really good Spear Master/Basara.

3- Can't really say as I can't even find either Tellius game to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KoimanZX said:

-Is it that unpopular to find Charlotte to be more trouble than she is worth? I hardly use her that much as she is underleveled when recruited and is equipped with a weapon that hurts her ability to double and dodge.

I'm with you on this one. Characters like Charlotte and Hana I'm never able to use, because they die to a stiff breeze. Hana has a worse case than Charlotte, since Hana deals next to no damage and dies instantly when you send her up against something. I don't know how people have the patience to train either of them, personally.

Another one for me, now that I'm thinking about Fates:

Hinata and Subaki in FE14 are fantastic units. They're amazing tanks in a game where physical defense is key, while dealing respectable to good damage in return. They're especially invaluable when playing Birthright as frontliners when the majority of your units are fragile. If I had a dollar for every time they're ranked as the worst...

Edited by Extrasolar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KoimanZX said:

-The love for Oboro on this site perplexes me a tad (I find her not all that remarkable, myself). I guess she seems like a good character when she has two gimmicks (the "scary face" and fashion) instead of one like most of the characters.

I think there is a variety of things to like about her. Her appearance, her class, her combat potential and her balanced characterization. Yes, she has some character gimmicks but that's not her entire character like it is for some others (ex. Setsuna). She's a hard worker, dislikes Nohrians for the murder of her parents, has a crush on her retainer, among other traits. She feels like someone who is a human being instead of a meme-machine or stock character archetype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 11:47 AM, Harvey said:

Yeah I guess. Although I'm not sure how the weapon triangle can give them the advantage over lances since it only boosts the hit rate slightly.

 

The real problem for Axe unit are not accuracy

Its speed. The only Axemen who had accuracy as their real issue is FE6 in general but mostly Bartre, had Axe is accurate he would be an almost 30 mt hitting twice which is pretty good and Bartre is already really solid

Barst is an amazing Axemen exactly because of how easy it is for him to reach sufficient speed while having strong offense

Dagda become realized as a good unit once everyone realizes 9 speed is a doubling thereshold and he had the advantage Bartre wishes he had - a strong Bow offense and Accurate Brave Axe. Of course Dagda have a retarded base stats so lol

Othin literally have a skill that laughs at the idea of requiring speed.

Arthur is actually fairly accurate if you use Bronze and remove Gamble. His issue is being the only Arthur in a game where 80% of your unit need Arthur which also boils down into doubling thereshold

Draugs the most ridiculous example though. He would have an ORKO offense or something insane like that on early Lunatic had he can take a single hit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, KoimanZX said:

-Is it that unpopular to find Charlotte to be more trouble than she is worth? I hardly use her that much as she is underleveled when recruited and is equipped with a weapon that hurts her ability to double and dodge. She also has horrid accuracy (and I simply dislike her, personally). I only find use for her as a backpack for the man I choose to be her husband and for Hexing Rod bait. In fact, none of the default fighters are that great (Beruka, Benoit,  and Flannel/Keaton make for better Beserkers as they have much better bulk with the former being able to hit things more consistently). Of course, a fair number of people on this site dislike infantry axe users for various reasons, so I might not be alone here.  

-The love for Oboro on this site perplexes me a tad (I find her not all that remarkable, myself). I guess she seems like a good character when she has two gimmicks (the "scary face" and fashion) instead of one like most of the characters.

-Not sure if this unpopular, but I really care more about Ike in Smash Bros. than in his games. I just like his power and large hitboxes. 

Charlotte has a shaky start. Its more than fair to find her a bit of a bear to get going. I have a logbook Charlotte that has Axefaire for runs. Plus Death Blow and a Great Club. (80% crit rate before promotion is bomb shit, my guy) Since i tend to pair her Xander, she gets favortism. I love her though. 

Oboro doesnt have what i would call gimmicks. The reason shes well loved, is because she feels like a solidly written Fire Emblem character in a cast full of tropes you'd find in harem or ecchi anime. Her voice is nice, theres more to her than just one thing, and shes an excellent unit. Theres a lot to like there. 

19 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Hinata and Subaki in FE14 are fantastic units. They're amazing tanks in a game where physical defense is key, while dealing respectable to good damage in return. They're especially invaluable when playing Birthright as frontliners when the majority of your units are fragile. If I had a dollar for every time they're ranked as the worst...

Hinata is wayyyy better than Hana, so i agree to some extent. Hes just slower, so people tend to ignore him. Personally, im a samurai!Kaze person cuz i just dont like the base samurai/swordies not named Ryoma too much. Tsubaki is passable. Yeah hes miles worse than Hinoka, but hes not the shittiest unit. 

 

7 hours ago, JSND said:

Bartre is already really solid

Just quoting this for <3 It always brings a smile to my face to see any kind of Bartre praise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see here:

  • Python is a good unit, at least from my experience using him.
  • Clive is a well-written character.
  • Berkut is an overrated villain.
  • In Echoes, Est is the best and the most reliable of the of the Pegasus Sisters unit-wise. Yes, she starts at a pretty low level, but I believe that with enough grinding, she can prove to be very useful.
  • I enjoy grinding my units in Fire Emblem games.
  • I think Vaike is a cool character and a decent unit from my experience using him.
  • I prefer the Hoshidan royal family over the Nohrian royal family when it comes to the character department. The only exception is Ryoma: Xander has far better and more interesting supports compared to his Hoshidan counterpart, but Ryoma's story actions are more tolerable than what Xander does during the plot.
  • I like the Hoshidan cast more than the Nohrian cast. In fact, there isn't a single character that I truly dislike in Hoshido. The lowest opinion I feel towards my least favorite Hoshidans are indifference and boredom, whereas there are more Nohrians that not only do I find uninteresting, but also those that I dislike.
  • Selkie's English voice does not bother me.
  • Lately, I have been thinking Takumi should've been the main protagonist in Fates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Hinata is wayyyy better than Hana, so i agree to some extent. Hes just slower, so people tend to ignore him. Personally, im a samurai!Kaze person cuz i just dont like the base samurai/swordies not named Ryoma too much. Tsubaki is passable. Yeah hes miles worse than Hinoka, but hes not the shittiest unit. 

Yeah, in any other game, I would have much preferred a speedy unit to a slow one. Except Fates' RNG does whatever the hell it wants, so dodgetanking isn't reliable. You need straight up face tanking, and Hinata and Subaki do it amazingly well. I threw Hana and Charlotte onto the bench as soon as I got them. I don't want to have to spam my reset button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Erureido said:

In Echoes, Est is the best and the most reliable of the of the Pegasus Sisters unit-wise. Yes, she starts at a pretty low level, but I believe that with enough grinding, she can prove to be very useful.

Considering the fact that she has the highest growth rates of the three minus HP and Speed and having the highest resistance stat in the entire game as a base

stat...yeah I don't see how she can't be considered the best. And her pace in Echoes/Gaiden isn't anywhere as bad as FE1/SD.

18 hours ago, JSND said:

The real problem for Axe unit are not accuracy

Its speed. The only Axemen who had accuracy as their real issue is FE6 in general but mostly Bartre, had Axe is accurate he would be an almost 30 mt hitting twice which is pretty good and Bartre is already really solid

Barst is an amazing Axemen exactly because of how easy it is for him to reach sufficient speed while having strong offense

Dagda become realized as a good unit once everyone realizes 9 speed is a doubling thereshold and he had the advantage Bartre wishes he had - a strong Bow offense and Accurate Brave Axe. Of course Dagda have a retarded base stats so lol

Othin literally have a skill that laughs at the idea of requiring speed.

Arthur is actually fairly accurate if you use Bronze and remove Gamble. His issue is being the only Arthur in a game where 80% of your unit need Arthur which also boils down into doubling thereshold

Draugs the most ridiculous example though. He would have an ORKO offense or something insane like that on early Lunatic had he can take a single hit

 

 

I get its your opinion but I don't see how speed is an issue for axe users. A lot of FE games give your units that have high speed and are axelocked and yet despite this, they will suffer hitting enemies because of their horrible skill for the most part. I can't for the life of me imagine how useful Dart or Gonzo would really be if they don't get support bonuses alongside the skills needed to hit something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Considering the fact that she has the highest growth rates of the three minus HP and Speed and having the highest resistance stat in the entire game as a base

stat...yeah I don't see how she can't be considered the best. And her pace in Echoes/Gaiden isn't anywhere as bad as FE1/SD.

Not speaking for myself here, but some people can't stand her or Est archetypes as there is a small chance of being RNG screwed and they don't see slightly above average stats as worth the time and effort. If I remember correctly, my Est was not nearly as good as my Catria. Then again, Catria was already good and Est was still behind somewhat by the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

Not speaking for myself here, but some people can't stand her or Est archetypes as there is a small chance of being RNG screwed and they don't see slightly above average stats as worth the time and effort. If I remember correctly, my Est was not nearly as good as my Catria. Then again, Catria was already good and Est was still behind somewhat by the end.

I'm one of these people. I prefer Kliff archetypes (villagers recruited early on that turn into killing machines) like Kilff, Ross, and Donnel over Est archetypes. The reason is because of their availability. Kliffs get recruited early on, meaning they have a lot of time to grow, Ests, on the other hand, join around lategame.

I never bothered with Est in FE12 because I had Caeda, Catria, Minerva, and to some extent, Palla. In Echoes, Catria was my main flier and Jesse actually filled out the Est archetype way better. I gave Saber, Deen and Jesse Brave Swords and that gave them 50+ Crit (Saber's was 40+) and they killed anything that stood in their way except for a few exceptions.

On the topic: They should make an FE/Pokémon crossover like how  Pokémon Conquest was a good crossover with Nobunga's Ambition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...