What are your obsessions besides Heroes?

XRay

How do you spend your free time outside of Heroes?

Currently, I do not really do anything besides Heroes; hopefully, my obsession will end soon since I am getting a little tired of it. I have not really played Heroes for about a week now outside of logging in and doing the daily quests. When I am not playing Heroes, for some reason, I rather sleep and cuddle with my cat rather than moving on to another hobby. I guess sleeping is how I spend my free time outside of Heroes, but that sounds really sad and boring. I do other activities and stuff, but watching YouTube, reading the news, and going out with friends does not dominate my mind and time like Heroes does.

I am deciding between spending my money on the Halloween banner or the Switch; part me hopes that if I spent money on the Switch, I would be able to engross myself into a less demanding hobby/interest. I will probably still spend a little money on Anna, but I would not feel the urge to give Anna my savings. I am just not sure if spending money on the Switch would make me play Heroes less, since I tried to resume playing my 3DS, but every time I do, my mind keeps telling me to stop wasting my time on my 3DS and go back to playing Heroes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, Heroes hasn't been that fun for me since October. I mostly just log in to do the quests each day if there isn't anything special going on. I'll train some units during the weekends for SP but I don't really have that many units that I want to train so I just exhaust the stamina in the training tower for Great Badges. 

Other than that, I don't do much other than watching Youtube and anime whenever things come out. Have a test in 2 weeks time and I really should have started studying earlier so I'm doing my best to not burn myself out. 

Edited by tobuShogi

When i'm not playing Heroes, i'm usually just watching videos on YouTube, watching anime, or just playing some other games. There's also school. Though i don't know how often i'll be playing Heroes nine days from now because of a certain game.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

When i'm not playing Heroes, i'm usually just watching videos on YouTube, watching anime, or just playing some other games.

Basically this.  Quite frankly, Heroes doesn't take up that much of my time anyways.

Outside of TT I don't really play Heroes a lot. At best I do 2 full Arena Assault runs during the week but that's about it. I tend to waste most of my time looking at memes on Reddit,  watching videos on Youtube, anime or looking for excuses to not finish Tales of Berseria (I need to get over the weapon skill system or I'll be stuck at mid game forever).

Edited by Alexmender
Typo

Mostly Heroes. But that's also because I don't have a lot of time or energy to do much of anything else. I've been volunteering getting voluntold to help with a lot of things outside of work. As an introvert, being social and at 110% excitement level for 8 to 11 hours a day basically kills my will to do anything. I go home, watch YouTube or Netflix, and sleep. (I like watching Let's Plays of horror games.) If it's a particularly rough week, I spend my weekends recovering.

I started playing DnD a while back with a group of friends. For a while we managed once a week, then once ever two weeks. We've all been pretty busy, but my ex-pirate half-elf pathological liar bard managed to woo a psychic elf martial artist prince, and now she's gotta save his butt...

I used to do a lot of writing/blogging. I've been doing more lately, but not as much because a tired brain doesn't do well writing. Same with reading. I used to read all the time, but my tired brain can't focus on words. I have gotten into comics a little bit. My biggest issue is that I read through them too quickly. I do keep up with a few RPs with friends and sometimes do writing collabs.

Yesterday, the music teacher at my school gifted me with this ugly beat-up flute that the students won't touch. I swear I almost cried. I haven't touched a flute in years, but the thought of having one to play makes me pretty giddy. I'll probably try to practice a little bit until I get noise complaints in my apartment. More than likely though, it'll sit in a corner once I get my GRE study guides.... *sobs*

tl;dr - I don't have a life or hobbies because I can't say no, and I'm always exhausted.

EDIT: Also my specific obsessions - The Evil Within, DnD, Ted Dekker, BL manga, my boyfriend, and the flute

Edited by Rafiel's Aria

I write stuff from time to time while trying to convince myself to start trying to learn how to either draw or hack(fangame if that sounds less nefarious). I'm also working on my 100% Support Log in Awakening since that's the last big hurdle now that I've finally beat Apotheosis(er…the normal level at least, still working on Secret Path). My other comp time goes to AdventureQuest Worlds because I walked off for like a year and now there's all kinds of story updates I need to catch up on. Other than that, I think it's just card games - Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Cipher, I own a Magic deck but don't really play, I've been meaning to dabble in Vanguard one of these days.

When I’m not playing Heroes with my free time, I’m usually:

• Lurking this board. (And posting, occasionally)
  • Playing Conquest. Again.
  • (Re)reading some flavor of fantasy novel. I have a tendency to plow through books in one sitting and then go back to re-read my favorite parts. Skulduggery Pleasant is a particular favorite.
  • Working on my Heroes combat simulator. In the process of updating it, I may even find a skill implementation or two that I can improve or fix.
  • Plinking out a tune on the keyboard, or plucking/playing one on the violin. I play mostly by ear nowadays, so as long as I can find a good place to start, I’ll usually be able to figure out most simple stuff.
  • Baking, for special occasions. Holidays are busy and exhausting, because apple pie is my specialty, and I don’t believe in store-bought crust.
  • Trying to convince myself to get back into some online CS-related courses to refine/improve my knowledge.

The likelihood of each does not necessarily follow that order.

2 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

Honestly, Heroes hasn't been that fun for me since October. I mostly just log in to do the quests each day if there isn't anything special going on. I'll train some units during the weekends for SP but I don't really have that many units that I want to train so I just exhaust the stamina in the training tower for Great Badges. 

Other than that, I don't do much other than watching Youtube and anime whenever things come out. Have a test in 2 weeks time and I really should have started studying earlier so I'm doing my best to not burn myself out. 

I see. For me the main dopamine rush is pulling focus units, but since I have been cutting back spending on everything for the past few weeks, Heroes got more and more boring. I have not even bothered with using my Stamina during the past few days. I just log in, do Arena and Arena Assault and log out.

I mostly watch StarCraft game commentary, animal rescue, and ASMR videos.

The burn out is real. Although I never felt the burn out from finals since they were spread over two weeks, I do feel the burn out from projects, since many of the professors like to have them all due around the first week of December. I can cram for finals easily within a night, but cramming for projects takes a while, so I am usually sleep deprived in the one or two weeks leading up to December.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

When i'm not playing Heroes, i'm usually just watching videos on YouTube, watching anime, or just playing some other games. There's also school. Though i don't know how often i'll be playing Heroes nine days from now because of a certain game.

I tried getting back into Anime, but just deciding what to watch feels like a chore in itself. I dislike dropping anime because I want to see what happens, but I also hate wasting time on a boring show. I am still waiting for Citrus and Code Geass to come out, but I do not think those two are coming out this winter though.

1 hour ago, Refa said:

Basically this.  Quite frankly, Heroes doesn't take up that much of my time anyways.

For me, day dreaming and organizing my Fire Emblem Heroes spreadsheet that takes a huge chunk of my time away. I also used to browse Fire Emblem Heroes videos a lot and try to find better tactics.

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

looking for excuses to not finish Tales of Berseria

Right now, my main excuse for not playing Heroes is sleeping. I am not particularly tired during the day, but I find sleeping to be one thing that my mind does not seem to protest when I do it.

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

As an introvert, being social and at 110% excitement level for 8 to 11 hours a day basically kills my will to do anything.

This! While I am pretty extroverted when I am with my close friends, I am the exact opposite with people I do not know, especially over the phone when I cannot see their face and connect with them. I had to do cold calls during my first internship and I hated it. It was super draining.

25 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'm also working on my 100% Support Log in Awakening

That sounds like a lot of effort. The farthest I have gotten is getting the first generation to max out their A supports and having all S support options being unlockable. I still have not decided on pairings after maxing out the first generation's stats in every possible class and getting every possible skill.

9 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Lurking this board.

I do that a lot too. I think if it were not for Serenes Forest, I probably would have stopped playing Heroes a long time ago. For me, Serenes Forest is what Heroes' friend list could have been. I do not think Heroes needs a huge forum feature within the game, but having social interaction with other players is a super important in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

This! While I am pretty extroverted when I am with my close friends, I am the exact opposite with people I do not know, especially over the phone when I cannot see their face and connect with them. I had to do cold calls during my first internship and I hated it. It was super draining.

I consider myself an "extroverted" introvert. People drain me, and I'm perfectly happy without them, but I've chosen a career path that kind of forces me to be social. When I tell people that I'm shy, they laugh because they're all, "You just gave a presentation in front of 100 people. You're not shy." Believe me. 90% of the time when I'm around people, I'm anxious and/or terrified. I've just gotten better at pretending. XD Don't get me started on the phone. I think it's my worst enemy.

I don't mind socializing with small groups. DnD actually energizes me for hours, but drinking parties with 30 of my co-workers makes me want to crawl into a hole and hibernate after about 30 minutes.

25 minutes ago, XRay said:

That sounds like a lot of effort. The farthest I have gotten is getting the first generation to max out their A supports and having all S support options being unlockable. I still have not decided on pairings after maxing out the first generation's stats in every possible class and getting every possible skill.

I'm actually pretty far in, the only difficulty is having to run a separate playthrough to marry an Avatar off to EVERYONE because I don't believe in abusing saves, which is especially fun considering the SpotPass 6, which is why I burned Priam, Aversa, and Emmeryn off within the first five playthroughs. Sumia, Panne, and several other females I can't think of right now are all 95%, only needing to marry the Avatar and A-Support with Morgan, while Lon'qu, Virion, and several other males only need to marry the Avatar and then go back and A-Support Morgan and two or three other kids. I've 99% finished Cordelia(full A-Supports only missing S-Supports with Ricken and Gregor), and Say'ri, Anna, Priam, Aversa, and Emmeryn are all 100%, though admittedly they aren't hard. The real problem is all the games that have come out since I got Awakening and promptly grabbed my attention for oh-so-long - lost all kinds of time when I got Fates, for example, and FEW is looking like another decent length break. On the bright side, I should probably have one of the two Supreme Emblems when I'm done.

Reading short stories. Right now I'm revisiting H. H. Munro for my book length commentary on his life and also Mary Poppins- so different from the disney musical! I plan to re-read the color fairy books (despite the abridgments to the originals) by January or February.

Reading Classic Literature. Went through Lolita, the Scholars, and the Idiot (again) in the last two months. Oh how slow I've gotten since the good days.

I play two video games competitively- Puyo Puyo and Pokemon. I've been trying to get out of the latter, but even when I manage to stay off of smogon for multiple weeks, I'll still be consumed with the urge to like spend an entire afternoon filling notebooks with teambuilding ideas. The Ruins of Alph (past generations) tours are especially tempting to me.

I also obsess over speedrunning- almost Any game that I consider a classic, I like to watch other people play fast, (I prefer input heavy speedruns to more exploit heavy speedruns although I'm not against glitches except as a viewer). I speedrun myself but require the motivation of having my time beaten or active competion, cannot be bothered to beat my own times in cases where I know they have room for improvement at present.. (Limited to very few games haven't done in months). 

I adore well- made documentaries and biographies- No connection to subject matter is required- last year I went through Smartest Guys in the Room (about Enron and the oil/energy business) Who killed CBS (about the history of news reporting on television) Men of Steel (About the comics book industry's history) Charles Schultz and his Peanuts (about Charlie Brown) and sometimes I'll stretch and watch hour long pseudo documentaries/ retrospectives on youtube (eg Kim Justice) 

Sometimes I like to read peer reviewed journals for the heck of it. Mostly on Literature. 

I'm trying to get into television and movie history- I am finding it hard to trust many critical lists of films, so I think I'm going to have to be unimaginatve and resort to Sight and Sound polls. For the time being I'm enjoying my complete series box sets of Alfred Hitchock Presents, Rod Serling's Night Gallery, and The Muppets Show.  

I am supporting a couple of random kickstarters related  to some of the above categories. All hail Julian Darius

I am following the completely unexpected  developer support of two games Majesty: the fantasy Kingdom Sim (not many games made 15+ years ago have modding added to them after they are dead), and Contraption Maker (for indie games 3 years might as well be 15 years). 

I like to get seasons passes of my local theatre, and in summer I frequent my local town's free shakespheare in the park. Except when arguing for weeks straight with the director over the proper way to do Richard II.  On special occasions I will check out improv shows as well, but not enough to be called an obsession.

Most of my time is taken up by work and kids, to be honest.

I still play Heroes daily, but I've had many days lately where I just do my daily quests and log off.  I've gotten every 3* and 4* character (except Tailtiu) and have raised a ton to max level.  The new units come at a snail's pace now, so the old thing that kept me busy of raising new units is gone until they add a new batch of 3-4* units, but that's another topic.

I actually have bought a few new games for the first time since Echoes.  (Wow, that's been almost half a year...)  I got Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear, and it's been pretty fun.  I got Pokemon Ultra Sun, but haven't played too much yet.  I also downloaded Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, so we'll see how it goes.  Hopefully I'll find time to play all these new games.

Work, mostly. Weekend trips or going out when I'm not working. And I've been going to the gym so there's also that. When I have free time at home I prefer to play other games (right now I'm juggling BotW, Odyssey, and Bravely Second). Actually, when I do play Heroes it's mostly at work in short bursts or on auto, hahaha. So for me it's not really an obsession or hobby anymore as much as a quick and entertaining distraction.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

I don't believe in abusing saves

That is even crazier. Tell me you believe in Normal difficulty. I cannot imagine people doing that through Lunatic+.

43 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I got Pokemon Ultra Sun, but haven't played too much yet. 

Maybe I will try Pokémon, although I am not sure how long it will capture my attention since I do not remember beating any Pokémon game since Gen IV.

38 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

quick and entertaining distraction.

That is what I want Heroes to be, but sometimes I feel like Heroes is devouring my mind.

Well currently there is: the massive backlog of games on steam, watching my videos from by favorite youtubers, looking for good anime series, emulating older games, lurking threads on this site, replaying Conquest on hard, and College work to do. I have a lot of free time on my hands.

Heroes and browsing these forums has definitely normally been my main go-to when I have freetime, but otherwise, I've been trying to play through and clear some other games as well. I just recently finished a 101% playthrough of Donkey Kong 64 for the first time, which took up a good couple of weeks. When I'm not playing games, I'm normally either listening to music or watching YouTube. I've also been continuing to write my own music, and I've been trying to practice more with drawing and writing casually as well. I'm very bad at sticking with long projects though, so things like writing or playing longer games tend to take quite a while, haha.

Honestly, I pretty much gave up on Heroes for reasons I can't fathom. So my time tends to go to various video games, YouTube, SF, and the internet in general, as well as TV.

I played FGO alongside FEH. Both of them took a short time so i had plenty of times for other stuff. Had Choir session during Tuesday and Friday recently and i gotta say its actually one of few things in life that i enjoyed that im actually anyway near decent at so thankfully thats not going away anytime soon 

Most of the time i just browse the internet/go to r/fe while having my head calculate heroes stuff for reasons

I have two other mobile games I'm really into at the moment - Valkyrie Connect and King's Raid.

Once I'm done on them, I've mostly been reading through the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Highly enjoy them - long running series with strong male and female characters, which I find rare for paranormal romance (normally I find the guys written creepy and possessive, and the women are 'strong' where they just rely on the men and are praised for their 'strength', which isn't shown).

I also write if I'm not reading, or surf YT.

I should do housework, but I'm currently hoping the cats will take the hint and do it themselves for once...

Edited by Cute Chao

25 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I should do housework, but I'm currently hoping the cats will take the hint and do it themselves for once...

Well, cats domesticated us humans to feed them and do their chores for them.

Similar to you, I've been putting far too much time, effort and (thanks to the recent Hinoka banners,) money than I ever expected or intended. Apart from the last of those 3, it's not really been a bad thing. I do enjoy playing the game and collecting waifus. Though, the amount of time I put into the game is much greater than the content there actually is to do. I think a lot about how I want to build characters and add to my roster. It's kind of like competitive pokemon (both the breeding and building), but without the stress of actually having to test things against other people. Instead it's just the AI, so it's a bit more laid back. But the progression and enjoyment of developing units and your teams is still there.

Outside of Heroes, I have a Switch and some games for it, and I've been playing those and other games off and on this year. I have far too much free time, which is in great part why I get sucked into wasting as much of it on Heroes. I've also been trying to learn Japanese off and on with self study. It's been going slow but okay; better than not trying at all. I'm interested in some other languages too, but doing more at once seems like a bad idea. I'm in a pretty inconvenient situation as far as getting out goes, so I haven't done much for a social life since I moved to where I am now.

I'm hopefully getting a little kitten soon that I'm waiting for to be formally up for adoption. (the adoption place said the kittens were too young to be taken until a couple more weeks) They prioritize people taking multiple cats, so I'll be really upset if I get sniped by somebody wanting him along with another. But if all goes well, cuddling and playing with him should take up a fair bit of my free time.

Edited by Alkaid

7 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Work, mostly. Weekend trips or going out when I'm not working. And I've been going to the gym so there's also that. When I have free time at home I prefer to play other games (right now I'm juggling BotW, Odyssey, and Bravely Second). Actually, when I do play Heroes it's mostly at work in short bursts or on auto, hahaha. So for me it's not really an obsession or hobby anymore as much as a quick and entertaining distraction.

It's the same in my case! I feel like a true worcaholic sometimes, there are some days when I return home, have quick supper and want only to go to sleep as fast as possible, not making anything else :>_<: And I like physical activities too, however instead of gym I prefer to practise yoga several times a week, it's really awesome for my body and emotional state, I always feel so relaxed after it.
However I have many other hobbies together with Heroes and yeah, this game is a small obsession for me but as it usually happens in my case I rather fast feel like I'm fed up with this game (as also with the other ones) so I can not to play in it for at least several days and I feel great when I'm busy with my other hobbies instead :rolleyes: I like reading very much, also walkings around my native city, attending concerts of my fav bands and parties, also playing various sport games together with my friends. Art is an other favourite activity for me, I like drawing and making handmade postcards, also assembling and collecting different wooden models https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1469570445/wood-trick-0 , knitting and cooking (the last one is an unreal creative process for me too I decided to mention it here :D:). I like also to watch fantasy and historical movies and musicals sometimes. And I adore travelling, I wish I could make much more trips in other countries! :rolleyes: