Poimagic

What do you think of seasonals?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on them

• Like them
    • Dislike them
    • Don’t care

I really like them.

As a supporter of fanservice, it's nice to see characters dressed up in clothes you wouldn't expect to see them in. Bunny Catria? Hell yes. Chrom in a Santa hat? Yes please, more of that.

They also gave us canon outfits, like Bride Caeda, which makes absolute sense because she gets married to Marth after MotE, and my God she is stunning hoo-ee, and Dancer Inigo, which is like, hallelujah, my son.

Seasonals also provide new dialogue - thank you Valentines TT - and weapons, so that's good.

And most of all...it's just really nice to see a particular character be selected by IS. I did not expect Catria of all characters to get an alt, and it makes me feel all warm and fluffy inside.

...Also, I managed to pull Bunny Camilla yesterday, my life is nearly complete.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue with seasonal characters comes when we have huge rosters still waiting to be added. They're wonderful in moderation, but with a seasonal almost every month and a legendary banner every month, the influx of characters not in Heroes yet has really slowed down. I think i'd like them more if they were, y'know, actually rare? Speaking as a dolphin in this game, I don't regret missing out on the seasonals I don't have anywhere near as much as I regret missing out on characters in the perma pool who haven't been on a banner in a year or so. It's a safe bet i'll see the Christmas cast back before I see Linde/Saber back. and that's really sad. 

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The canon preservationist in me thinks they look ugly/tacky and I really don't like their combat lines.  So I only use them for Skill fodder no matter how good they may be.

How can you not like "Bunny Blast!?"

34 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I like the idea behind seasonal but that it are the same games and the same characters getting the new costumes has started to become really annoying. There are exception but the general rule seems to be that if you're not a Fates royal, a Smash character or Tharja then you're just not getting any costume. 

What made you pick those criteria? Why is Tharja presented as a special exception when you have Olivia, Henry, and Nowi with one?

And since I'm so Awakening biased, I liked that a lot of them were Awakening, but, alas, now we're in our third seasonal with no Awakening (but two of three had Fates).

Maybe Lucina will get another this year...just don't let it be Brides V2.

Typically I don't care for seasonal banners unless they do something more interesting than "so-and-so wearing bunny outfits". What I wrote previously:

I like the concept but there are some things that don't appeal to my personal tastes. There are the obvious complaints (there are too many, only Awakening/Fates characters, cuts down on the amount of new characters, etc.), but I already know the reasons for those things so they're not being fixed anytime soon and I'm not going to focus on them.

What bothers me more is how uninspired most of the seasonal focuses are. Their themes are just "characters in bunny outfits/wedding dresses/swimsuits/more swimsuits," and you could replace any of the characters with anyone else and basically nothing would change. Nohrian Summer even reused most of its characters from Fates's DLC.

But the Performing Arts focus is an exception because it was the only one with originality put into it. It's theme (mother-son dancers) was much more interesting than any previous or later seasonal banner, and it having only Awakening/Fates characters made sense because the theme wouldn't work with just any character unless they added Silvia and Coirpre or something, or they established that Ninian is Roy's canon mom. Inigo and Shigure even match their mothers' outfits, which was neat. The Halloween focus could have been interesting if the costumes were references to the character or the series in general (like Headless Horseman Eldigan, a Manakete as a Necrodragon, Celica as one of SoV's witches, etc.), but instead we just had a generic witch, vampire, and catgirl (though Sakura is somewhat better because she's based on a nekomata and not just a catgirl). Heck, they even found a way to make a medieval Frankenstein's monster seem uncreative.

Make more banners like Performing Arts, less of everything else. Though I kind of regret not going for Summer Corrin, if only for WHEW SO HOT.

Basically I like Performing Arts (reasons already stated), New Years (Hoshido is fantasy Japan so they have a good reason to be wearing kimonos), and Love Abounds (similar to New Years, but with formal wear instead).

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Haha. That'd be fantastic. Who would they choose though. Hmm....

I know that Fates has been overexposed, but I'd like to see Felicia getting an alt about it. She's not the best waitress, so that could be very funny. Also, with the bavarian dress. Nohr seems to be the kingdom in the whole franchise that better suits this topic. 

Dozla could work as someone said, but I find him more suited to a St. Patrick festivity. 

31 minutes ago, Lau said:

I really like them.

As a supporter of fanservice, it's nice to see characters dressed up in clothes you wouldn't expect to see them in. Bunny Catria? Hell yes. Chrom in a Santa hat? Yes please, more of that.

They also gave us canon outfits, like Bride Caeda, which makes absolute sense because she gets married to Marth after MotE, and my God she is stunning hoo-ee, and Dancer Inigo, which is like, hallelujah, my son.

Seasonals also provide new dialogue - thank you Valentines TT - and weapons, so that's good.

And most of all...it's just really nice to see a particular character be selected by IS. I did not expect Catria of all characters to get an alt, and it makes me feel all warm and fluffy inside.

...Also, I managed to pull Bunny Camilla yesterday, my life is nearly complete.

Speaking of the Valentines day one, I'm actually pretty disapointed they didn't use that as an oppertunity to include old Hector and old Eliwood. The whole subplot if about Lilina and ROy together, yet they have young Eliwood and young Hector with some vague reference to time travel. I'd find it funnier and sweeter if the Lilina Hector was being protective of was the actual daughter he had raised (plus, bearded Hector in general).

I’m okay with limited edition units. What I’m not okay with are limited edition units having skills that would be desirable on regular units (such as Kagami Mochi, Giant Spoon, and Lethal Carrot) and limited edition banners being spammed (see summer of 2017 and autumn of 2017).

10 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I’m okay with limited edition units. What I’m not okay with are limited edition units having skills that would be desirable on regular units (such as Kagami Mochi, Giant Spoon, and Lethal Carrot) and limited edition banners being spammed (see summer of 2017 and autumn of 2017).

Oh man. Probably the biggest mistakes they've made when it comes to introducing new inheritable weapons

I'm glad that at least they learned from the survey we don't want seasonals that often. Now they come after every 2 banners compared to the every 1 banner they had before

Edited by silveraura25

I enjoy them, but I also enjoy new character banners about as much, so I'm going with neutral. I'm glad they've been featuring a better mix of characters/games lately and seem to be going more for one in three banners rather than one in two, because it was getting a bit annoying with half the new banners being Awakening/Fates and often characters who already had seasonal variations.

I think some of the outfits and dialogue get a bit obnoxious, but I'm fine with the limited availability of certain units/skills. They're easy enough to get the first time around and they always come back eventually, and it's not like I really expect to have much easier of a time getting non-limited 5* exclusives.

I'm a person who likes fun, and seasonal units are fun, even if the way they are handled is somewhat debatable

I have to admit, unless there's a character I really like or need a skill from, I rarely ever throw orbs at non-seasonal banners as I know one type is limited, while the other I'll later be able to pull from the normal pool whenever a seasonal comes around. This somewhat decreased worth of throwing orbs at normal banners is the only thing that really comes to mind as a con for the banners.

Still, again, I like what comes from them for fun.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Speaking of the Valentines day one, I'm actually pretty disapointed they didn't use that as an oppertunity to include old Hector and old Eliwood. The whole subplot if about Lilina and ROy together, yet they have young Eliwood and young Hector with some vague reference to time travel. I'd find it funnier and sweeter if the Lilina Hector was being protective of was the actual daughter he had raised (plus, bearded Hector in general).

That would mean they would have to include a character with a beard and I don't think we've seen many of them lately.

But I think seasonal banners are pretty nice. Fan service on seasonal banners is mostly acceptable to me since they are meant to be goofy side things. Its not like the normal parts of the game where you are supposed to take things seriously.

I find Seasonals very nice.regardless of looks I always get a laugh or a smile seeing characters inside costumes you would never see em in. all the more better when its a character you never expect.

The only thing I dislike about seasonal banners is the fact that weapon skills that should be standard weapons end up getting locked behind them. In particular, I mean Kagami Mochi, Giant Spoon, and Lethal Carrot, which all share their effect with existing standard weapons of different weapon types and should have been made as standard weapons.

Other than that, I don't really have a problem with seasonal banners.

Winter Tharja is a personal favorite because her Japanese voice lines are just amazing.

I like seeing creators and artists having fun with their characters, so I like them. Yeah, some are questionable (especially when you realize they're wearing bikinis/swim shorts and bunny suits into a battle), but it's both fun and funny to see the character dress up in ways they normally wouldn't.

While I don't really see the appeal of Seasonal units, I don't mind them at least in moderation. There are some good ones like Performing Arts.
Looking back at the last year we definetly had too many of these banners (2nd Summer Banner comes immediately to mind) and this is very bad for expanding the roster with permanent characters. Both Shigure and Charlotte are still seasonal only to this day.

Not to mention IS has the bad practice of giving certain passives to them and never re-release them again. To name some examples, Atk Res Bond can only be inherited from H!Nowi and NY!Takumi or Dazzling Staff was limited to Bride Lyn to this day.
I can understand if the seasonal-exclusive skills are more grind-related like Valor, Live for Honor and etc. but locking potentially Arena useful passives behind them is just bad practice. The recent trend showed us that they are extending it to Weapons like the Wo Dao for Axes and Bows or the Slaying Dagger.

But it's not like FEH has a shortage of problems (bloated 5* pool, random alts outside of seasonals, VG and so on).

Edited by Zeratul

Highly dislike them. I hate having my immersion broken, and nothing does that faster than seeing my favorite characters share space with someone in a bunny costume.

The only exception is Performing Arts, if that even counts. These outfits were tasteful, fit with the setting, and one of them was even canon.

Edited by Etheus

15 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

Atk Res Bond can only be inherited from H!Nowi and NY!Takumi

Nothing stopping them from giving it to standard units later on.

15 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

Dazzling Staff was limited to Bride Lyn

This is because Bride Lyn is still the most recently released staff unit. There has not been an opportunity to add Dazzling Staff to the standard summoning pool because there have not been any new staff units released since then.

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Highly dislike them. I hate having my immersion broken, and nothing does that faster than seeing my favorite characters share space with someone in a bunny costume.

Honestly, I don't see where this sentiment comes from when there are standard units running around in butler and maid uniforms.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I've disliked the idea ever since the very first seasonal banner although I've seen learned to tolerate and expect them every month.

Always a lot less excited for announced Seasonal banners than I am for New Heroes ones. 

I, like several others, don't like the fact that they're very hard to obtain - one chance and they're gone. Other than that, I'm indifferent. I don't really care that their costumes are "silly" or whatever, but neither am I particularly invested in the presented concepts. And they keep getting the ones named after actual seasons backwards what is with that

3 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I might be the most passionate opponent of them here on SF, and nothing ever will change my opinion.

They are silly and forced, they clog up the metaphorical tubes and slow down the introduction of actual new characters, they hog most of new and cool skills, they are most often overpowered and powercreeping, and so on and so forth.

I’d rather them never have existed.

You make some valid points, but this is bullshit. I can think of only four cases where a seasonal hero comes under one of those two descriptions, out of... one two three four five... 39? Yeah, so take that "most often" to Gamefaqs or something, because it's blatant exaggeration

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Nothing stopping them from giving it to standard units later on.

This is because Bride Lyn is still the most recently released staff unit. There has not been an opportunity to add Dazzling Staff to the standard summoning pool because there have not been any new staff units released since then.

Honestly, I don't see where this sentiment comes from when there are standard units running around in butler and maid uniforms.

Butlers and maids are actual careers that actually exist in the setting though. If anything, it's more jarring that previous nobles didn't have them. 

There's a huge leap from "servants exist and can fight" to "Chrom is a bunny now, because lols."

Edited by Etheus

It's mixed for me. I hate that they're limited because then they only rerelease them in Legendary banners, with the exception of the Spring units, and those are a PAIN to pull from.

But I have liked lots of the designs. Bride and Love Abounds Lyn are beautiful. Christmas Tharja not so much. 

It depends. I'd prefer it if banners were more like this one and the Bride banner, having characters from more than 1-2 games. I actually didn't like Love Abounds, since they basically did the same thing that they were doing with the Fates and Awakening banners.

Just now, Etheus said:

Butlers and maids are actual careers that actually exist in the setting though. If anything, it's more jarring that previous nobles didn't have them. 

There's a huge leap from "servants exist and can fight" to "Chrom is a bunny now, I guess."

Servants that exist and fight should be in battle attire while fighting (at least when outdoors), not butler or maid uniforms. This isn't Hayate no Gotoku or Overlord. Take Cipher's Valjean as an example, though he just wears his armor all the time.

Felicia is no more believable than any of the spring outfits.