Jump to content
Jedi

Your feelings on DQ Hero and Banjo getting in

Recommended Posts

I know the internet is a bit mixed overall, depending where one lives, but i'm curious where you all stand? 

I've only played 3 Dragon Quest games, but one of them was 8 and DQ8 is one of my favorite RPGs period. So seeing Eight in smash got me interested in the Hero by default, his mechanics with magic look interesting and fun and i'm just glad to see the grandfather of JRPGs in smash. (Not to mention Toriyama's art).

CqyHjIm.jpg

Banjo I have tons of friends who are into it, but oddly enough for one reason or another I haven't gotten to it yet, despite being a big platformer buff, this will motivate me and the games have always looked rather charming and fun. 

Edited by Jedi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any strong feelings on Dragon Quest getting into Smash. I never played anything of that series so there's very little to the reveal for me. However I'm happy for the Dragon Quest fans out there. It seems to be a very solid addition with lots of love and care put into it, and I'd say the series is big enough to earn it.

Banjo does a lot more for me. I've always been skeptical of it due to Rare taking Banjo with them upon departing but I've never been against his inclusion. Banjo was a pretty big part of my childhood and for some reason the soundtrack never really left my mind despite me not having touched the game for far over a decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it. They add great and vibrant stagea and iconic soundtracks. They make my gaming family very happy. Both deserve to be in, and both look and feel right for this game.

 

 

And the Steve leaks being fake was a miracle in itself. Fuck Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i never played any DQ nor banjo, but i'm happy they got in

sure, there are characters i'd have liked better than them, but i think they're great additions for smash nonetheless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too keen on either, tbh.

I never liked Toriyama's artwork, and artstyle is a big factor for me, it's why I never got into Dragonball. I've never played a Dragon Quest game, and while Dragon Quest 11 looks good, idk if I'll play it.

I never played Banjo either.

Either way, I acknowledge Dragon Quest's influence on JRPGs, and the fact that Banjo and Kazooie are fan favourites, so...yay for the people who wanted them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never played either of their games, so I don't have much of an opinion on them as characters. Though I am happy for the people who wanted them in, I can't say they were at the top of any of my lists.

In terms of gameplay though... hoo boy. Banjo looks pretty fun (though I feel like I'd probably try him once and forget them), but The Hero is where its at. I mean, was that a mana mechanic? And a counter that kills the user as well? Gimmicky status effects to apply to your character? Shut up and take my money Sakurai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I love it. They add great and vibrant stagea and iconic soundtracks. They make my gaming family very happy. Both deserve to be in, and both look and feel right for this game.

And the Steve leaks being fake was a miracle in itself. Fuck Steve.

And this is why I personally can't stand a lot of Banjo fans. Their absolute hatred and mockery of other Microsoft IPs that are infinitely larger than the one they happened to grow up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

And this is why I personally can't stand a lot of Banjo fans. Their absolute hatred and mockery of other Microsoft IPs that are infinitely larger than the one they happened to grow up with.

Not 'other Microsoft IPs.' Just that one. 

 

I can like what I like and dislike what I dislike. Just like everyone else. And I personally can't stand the self-righteous types who pretend that there is anything wrong with that. Good day, sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Not 'other Microsoft IPs.' Just that one. 

 

I can like what I like and dislike what I dislike. Just like everyone else. And I personally can't stand the self-righteous types who pretend that there is anything wrong with that. Good day, sir.

There's a difference between saying "I personally don't like this" and "FUCK THIS, I'm glad it got screwed over".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The DanMan said:

There's a difference between saying "I personally don't like this" and "FUCK THIS, I'm glad it got screwed over".

Yes, and that difference happens to be me paying for said thing in a season pass.

 

And 'screwed over?' Let's get real. Steve didn't win a Smash ballot. He was never entitled to be in. No one is shutting down Minecraft. He just didn't get in a game that he was never guaranteed to get in to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only played a little bit of DQ8, so I don't really have too much excitement for The Hero, but I think it's interesting that it's multiple heroes from the series rather than just Erdrick like the leaks said.

Banjo though...honestly you guys should have seen my reaction to seeing Banjo revealed. I was literally freaking out like that kid who got an N64 for Christmas. Banjo Kazooie is my favorite game of all time, and I've been wanting them in Smash ever since I was in diapers. So it really makes me happy to see that the two are finally home.

Even better, I get to share this meme I made in advance 😛 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Yes, and that difference happens to be me paying for said thing in a season pass.

 

And 'screwed over?' Let's get real. Steve didn't win a Smash ballot. He was never entitled to be in. No one is shutting down Minecraft. He just didn't get in a game that he was never guaranteed to get in to begin with.

And Minecraft isn't the single most prolific game in existence... wait. It's an infinitely bigger and more relevant game than Banjo's entire series ever was, being an indie game that over a period of less than 15 years has become the single most prolific game ever made.

I personally don't care for Banjo, but I'm not running around trying to rain on the parade of people who are excited for him. 
Yet it seems like instead of just being happy they got their character in, many Banjo fans have to go out of their way to bitch about a far more popular character relevant to gaming history and rife with moveset potential not getting in.

Edited by The DanMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

And Minecraft isn't the single most prolific game in existence... wait. It's an infinitely bigger and more relevant game than Banjo's entire series ever was, being an indie game that over a period of less than 15 years has become the single most prolific game ever made.

I personally don't care for Banjo, but I'm not running around trying to rain on the parade of people who are excited for him. 
Yet it seems like instead of just being happy they got their character in, many Banjo fans have to go out of their way to bitch about a far more popular character relevant to gaming history and rife with moveset potential not getting in.

For the record, I don't hate Minecraft. I only played it once, it didn't hook me in. It's more that I never liked the concept of Steve as a playable character in Smash. He'd look even more weird than Game and Watch if he was his blocky self, but if he wasn't blocky, he wouldn't be Steve. On top of that, he's a borderline blank slate of a character. That's my two cents on the whole Steve debacle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The DanMan said:

And Minecraft isn't the single most prolific game in existence... wait. It's an infinitely bigger and more relevant game than Banjo's entire series ever was, being an indie game that over a period of less than 15 years has become the single most prolific game ever made.

I personally don't care for Banjo, but I'm not running around trying to rain on the parade of people who are excited for him. 
Yet it seems like instead of just being happy they got their character in, many Banjo fans have to go out of their way to bitch about a far more popular character relevant to gaming history and rife with plenty of moveset potential not getting in.

I'm perfectly happy that I got the characters I did. They weren't my top choices (if I had my way, all 5 characters would be charismatic rogues like Dante, Joker, and Ezio, but I digress.)

 

But here's the thing. Paying for something makes one invested in it. No one wants to pay for something they dislike. I do not want to pay for a default blocky avatar for any game - "most prolific game in existence or not." Minecraft is perfectly deserving of some inclusion (a stage, IMO). Steve is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm perfectly happy that I got the characters I did. They weren't my top choices (if I had my way, all 5 characters would be charismatic rogues like Dante, Joker, and Ezio, but I digress.)

 

But here's the thing. Paying for something makes one invested in it. No one wants to pay for something they dislike. I do not want to pay for a default blocky avatar for any game - "most prolific game in existence or not." Minecraft is perfectly deserving of some inclusion (a stage, IMO). Steve is not.

Yeah Minecraft is one of those series I think is better represented with something like a stage or an assist trophy rather than an actual character such as Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super glad Banjo is in, since i'm a huge fan! Hero's pretty neat as well, since I've got a little experience with Dragon Quest, I can say he's an okay choice. Not on Banjo and Kazooies level for me, but that's okay, i'm happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmmmmmm, can't say i'm too attached to either. I've only played a little bit of Banjo-Kazooie. I haven't played a Dragon Quest game because Square Enix's big three don't really interest me. Banjo and Hero look cool and all, but i'm not as hyped as i was for Joker. I also haven't played a Persona game but Joker was hype out of sheer fact that everyone thought his inclusion would be impossible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got no strong feelings about Dragon Quest whatsoever, but hey. Congrats to DA fans, I guess.

Now Banjo, in the other hand; as someone whose only attachment to him was YouTube videos, I wanted to cry tears of joy when he was announced and (like Etheus) I’ll gladly take him over Steve any day. And I also echo this sentiment:

22 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Yeah Minecraft is one of those series I think is better represented with something like a stage or an assist trophy rather than an actual character such as Steve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From an outsider's perspective on Dragon Quest, I'm happy for the fans. My father is a big fan. He doesn't play Smash, but he's happy to see the series get more exposure, and I have to agree. Thanks in large part to Persona 5, JRPGs are currently experiencing a new boom period in the west, and the Smash exposure could help Dragon Quest benefit from that, and I would be happy to see that happen. More quality and competition in the JRPG scene is a good thing, and it's certainly preferable to the last half decade of Final Fantasy and Tales sinking further and further into mediocrity without meaningful competition.

 

 

As for Banjo, hopefully Smash will help rebuild the brand. Banjo never deserved to die. Neither did Crash or Spyro. All three deserve new life. Hopefully Microsoft sees that and gives them the opportunity. If they're willing to revive the poorly designed garbage known as Battletoads, why not Banjo?

Edited by Etheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad of the Heroes (DQ III, IV, VIII and XI) from DQ! It's one of  the iconic JRPG ever.

Also, Banjo&Kazzoie was supposed to be in Super smash bros Melee...Did you know the mines in Melee was a Perfect Dark mines? (also an another item)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predicted that these two would get in. I must say, I've never actually played either of the game series that these characters belong to, so I don't have too strong of feelings. 

 

Dragon Quest Hero getting in Smash I find a bit funny; namely because I can imagine a scene where he (in Luminary form) is talking to Link and he notices their similarities:

Hero: "Hey; you have a sword and shield! And you're a bit of a jack-of-all-trades! And you have a glowing golden mark on your left hand! I also have all that!"

 

Banjo-Kazooie getting in is neat; I guess. I really don't have much to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of either Series (never played DQ and didn't like Banjoo much as a Kid), but i am happy for their fans.

But more importantly i am happy there are more characters to play with, and they look unique enough.

Edited by Shrimperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

And Minecraft isn't the single most prolific game in existence... wait. It's an infinitely bigger and more relevant game than Banjo's entire series ever was, being an indie game that over a period of less than 15 years has become the single most prolific game ever made.

Minecraft is certainly huge but being huge doesn't mean you're automatically a good fit for Smash Bros. 

Smash is undeniably a very character driven game. Minecraft may be huge but....is Steve? Does anyone really care about Steve? Now I'm not the biggest expert on Minecraft but as far as I know he's just the default player avatar. People love what you can do in Minecraft but I doubt any Minecraft player is super invested in Steve. 

So on that front Steve probably isn't a very solid pick. Banjo was big at a time the industry was a lot smaller and has practically died but he still got a lot going for him. A lot of Nintendo fans very vocally still care for him, he's a good representation for an important era in Nintendo's history and its really easy making moves for him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, link16hit said:

Glad of the Heroes (DQ III, IV, VIII and XI) from DQ! It's one of  the iconic JRPG ever.

Also, Banjo&Kazzoie was supposed to be in Super smash bros Melee...Did you know the mines in Melee was a Perfect Dark mines? (also an another item)

I think it needs to be said that Sakurai never actually planned to include Banjo in Melee. He just said it would've been difficult to include Banjo when asked by a fan due to being owned by Rare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Hero: "Hey; you have a sword and shield! And you're a bit of a jack-of-all-trades! And you have a glowing golden mark on your left hand! I also have all that!"

 

The VII Hero is the most Linkalike to me. That green cap and garb really does it. But VII Hero looks so dorky by default.

 

I have a few old memories of B&K as a kid, good ones. But I haven't played them since (except for that so-so GBA game). I remember them more than not probably due to the old game guides I had and would prolifically read over. I'm not excited over B&K's inclusion though, nor disappointed, nor anything.

My DQ experience is V, VIII, IV, and VII in that order, with desires to nab III, VI, and XI. The franchise I don't love, but I appreciate it and am happy I added to my gaming palette. It's old school, which makes sense, given 6/11 titles were SNES or earlier in origin (and X is Japan-only), but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I had also toyed with I&II GBC as a child, but I never completed those.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...