The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/6/2020 at 4:29 PM, Samz707 said:

How exactly do Battalions work?

Unless I missed something the game has completely skipped over explaning them, how does their endurance stat go down? do they "die" if it goes down?

Also apparently Authority is related to them? the game basically just dumped them on me, gave me a rather basic explaination of Gambits and left me to it are they actually useful? The gambits I've seen are basically just weapon Arts but tied to the Battalion. (like pushing a dude back after attacking him.) Does the gambit pair-up bonus thing require the other units to have Batallions?

It was covered by someone else, but basically, battalion endurance goes down as the unit they're assigned to takes damage (specifically, for every two points of damage that character takes, a battalion loses one point of endurance. This can be halved with the Defensive Tactics ability, which is learned at B authority). Once a battalion's endurance hits zero, they retreat, and that unit loses the bonuses they got from it. You can replenish battalion endurance at the battalion guild at the marketplace, which, by the way, you can access even before a battle.

A character's authority rank determines which battalions you can use, not unlike weapon rank. The Authority ability only raises the might of offensive battalions. Gambit Boosts work like linked attacks do, though they follow a different formula. Aside from that, gambit accuracy is primarily determined by the charm stat of the user versus that of the target. There is a ceiling on gambit accuracy, though; from base, gambit accuracy bottom out at -30 (relative to base accuracy) and top out at +30 (again, relative to base accuracy).

To make a long story short, battalions are worth paying attention to, even for characters with an authority weakness, as they give helpful boosts. Also, most of the better battalions are given out as paralogue rewards, so be on the lookout for those. In particular, some of the support gambits are lifesavers (like Impregnable Wall).

Oh, and one last thing: flying units can only use flying battalions, so authority is especially important for anyone you have a flying class in mind for, as the lowest ranked flying battalions are D rank. Also of note, good flying battalions are limited.

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 hours ago, vikingsfan92 said:

You can't support Hilda period in Black eagles route. You can't gift her anything or give her lost items. After the route split you can do things with her though

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Djeets said:

besides the datamine that uncovers the unused scenario of annie and felix defecting at chapter 18 in BL based on certain action, was there ever another discovery of situation like these? (students defecting in other route)

About that specific AM event, we do know now a small story event with Felix was meant to go along with it.

As far other routes go, SS was definitively meant to punish you for letting any BE fall in Part 1 Classic Mode by make them defect to the Empire in Part 2 (meaning you get to see them as enemies later) and Claude has an unused battle convo vs an enemy Lorenz in VW Chapter 16. The NIWA wiki and The Cutting Room Floor has more info about them if anyone's interested.

Edited by Moltz23

7 hours ago, Strullemia said:

Do the Ashen Wolves show up as enemies in part 2 if you didn't recruit them and if so in what chapters in CF and SS/AM/VW route?

They do not appear in part 2 at all if they are not recruited. Everything else with the Abyss does, though.

23 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

They do not appear in part 2 at all if they are not recruited. Everything else with the Abyss does, though.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:35 PM, haarhaarhaar said:

They don't show up at all in Part 2 as far as I'm aware.

Thanks.

I remember there being some misonfirmation about that when the DLC released and was curious what to do when starting a new CF run but since the CS don't join anyone I'll just recruit them all.

5 hours ago, grinus said:

I've been playing the Blue Lion House. Do the other houses play differently or is it just dialogue differences?

Part I is pretty much the same regardless of which house you play, with only minor differences in things like dialogue (and which characters you have, of course). Part two changes things up a lot, though, with different story, different maps, different bosses, etc. There is some overlap, some maps that are reused across routes, some story beats that play out the same way, etc. but it's a different experience overall.

@lenticular 

5 hours ago, lenticular said:

Part I is pretty much the same regardless of which house you play, with only minor differences in things like dialogue (and which characters you have, of course). Part two changes things up a lot, though, with different story, different maps, different bosses, etc. There is some overlap, some maps that are reused across routes, some story beats that play out the same way, etc. but it's a different experience overall.

Thank you.

Has there been/is there some sort of cap for how many students you recruit? I've been pretty lucky with recruiting and i've already recruited five students! Getting close to recruiting at least three more and probably by chapter 10 or 11 (assuming the timeskip doesn't happen before then) I'll have like 8 if my calculations are correct? Leaving only Annette and Lyndhart... it doesn't seem fair for me to steal all of the students. Is there some sort of cap on how many i can recruit?

(Just to clarify i probably won't be using most of the students i recrujit because i just want them for the story/supports)

1 minute ago, Emmy said:

Has there been/is there some sort of cap for how many students you recruit? I've been pretty lucky with recruiting and i've already recruited five students! Getting close to recruiting at least three more and probably by chapter 10 or 11 (assuming the timeskip doesn't happen before then) I'll have like 8 if my calculations are correct? Leaving only Annette and Lyndhart... it doesn't seem fair for me to steal all of the students. Is there some sort of cap on how many i can recruit?

(Just to clarify i probably won't be using most of the students i recrujit because i just want them for the story/supports)

There is no cap on how many you can recruit.

2 hours ago, Emmy said:

No cap.

However, depending on the route you're playing there's certain characters you can't recruit.

You cannot recruit:

On Golden Deer: Dimitri, Hubert, Dedue, Edelgard.

On Black Eagles (Crimson Flower): Hilda, Dimitri, Dedue, Claude.

On Black Eagles (Silver Snow): Dimitri, Dedue, Claude. (You are able to recruit Hilda but only have the moon before timeskip to be able to.)

On Blue Lions: Edelgard, Dimitri, Dedue, Hubert.

I'm on part 2 now and I am somewhat enjoying the game, however are all the maps basically skirmish maps? The lack of variety and  level design is beginning to wear thin. 

I miss the variety from previous entries and does high ground matter at all for flyers? 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:24 PM, Moltz23 said:

Thanks!

To be clear, this information was not completely correct.  Hilda is difficult to support with in Black Eagles, but not impossible; she cannot be given gifts, recruited for Mission Assistance, or given Lost Items, but she can still be invited for tea parties or targeted for lunchtimes and choir practices, and the player can use these methods to rank her up to B support before the route split.  Even with a B support, though, she still won't approach you to recruit herself into your house until such time as she's normally recruitable.

As for whether her Goddess Tower scene can be viewed, not sure; I haven't put in the effort to raise her to B support by that point in Black Eagles.  I'll try it on my current playthrough but it might be a bit too late for me to pull it off.

11 hours ago, grinus said:

I'm on part 2 now and I am somewhat enjoying the game, however are all the maps basically skirmish maps? The lack of variety and  level design is beginning to wear thin. 

I miss the variety from previous entries and does high ground matter at all for flyers? 

Most of the maps are basically skirmish maps, yes; the level variety is one of Three Houses's biggest weaknesses.

High ground doesn't factor into calculations; I think Radiant Dawn is the only game where it does.

Edited by Skarthe
Added another question/answer.

7 hours ago, Skarthe said:

To be clear, this information was not completely correct.  Hilda is difficult to support with in Black Eagles, but not impossible; she cannot be given gifts, recruited for Mission Assistance, or given Lost Items, but she can still be invited for tea parties or targeted for lunchtimes and choir practices, and the player can use these methods to rank her up to B support before the route split.  Even with a B support, though, she still won't approach you to recruit herself into your house until such time as she's normally recruitable.

As for whether her Goddess Tower scene can be viewed, not sure; I haven't put in the effort to raise her to B support by that point in Black Eagles.  I'll try it on my current playthrough but it might be a bit too late for me to pull it off.

Most of the maps are basically skirmish maps, yes; the level variety is one of Three Houses's biggest weaknesses.

High ground doesn't factor into calculations; I think Radiant Dawn is the only game where it does.

Thank you for clarifying things. The battle maps are serviceable as they were in Shadows of Valencia, but just not that creative. I really do wish there was more of a variety in objectives as the new artstyle really does look great and animations enjoyable to watch.

The dialogue and voice acting seem to be the strongpoint in this Fire Emblem as I do find them quite likeable which is in contrast to the Fates dialogue which I found to be chatty but with no substance at all. The cutscenes are well made but I've liked all of the cutscenes so far from the Gamecube days so not too surprising there.  

When should I play the DLC? after the main campaign or does the game clue you in on when to get into it? 

6 hours ago, grinus said:

Thank you for clarifying things. The battle maps are serviceable as they were in Shadows of Valencia, but just not that creative. I really do wish there was more of a variety in objectives as the new artstyle really does look great and animations enjoyable to watch.

The dialogue and voice acting seem to be the strongpoint in this Fire Emblem as I do find them quite likeable which is in contrast to the Fates dialogue which I found to be chatty but with no substance at all. The cutscenes are well made but I've liked all of the cutscenes so far from the Gamecube days so not too surprising there.  

When should I play the DLC? after the main campaign or does the game clue you in on when to get into it? 

The DLC is a side story completely separate from the main game; it can be played at literally any time, as it uses a prebuilt set of characters.

Are part 2's 'Advanced Drills' actually intended to work differently for the Ashen Wolves?

Hapi is able to teach me Faith and not Reason, despite her skill proficiencies being the other way around. Is it just an oversight/glitch?

Pics:

Spoiler

EdWjPUkU8AA63qU?format=jpg&name=large

EdWjPUjUcAEqqsj?format=jpg&name=large

Edit: Apparently Hapi (and Yuri having his budding talent) is the only exception for this. Weird..

Edited by Fraven Pooth

On 7/19/2020 at 8:00 AM, Skarthe said:

Hmm...I did notice it was possible to raise support points with Hilda that way, but I wasn't sure if that would let you get supports with her. Good to know!

On a more separate tone: Anyone knows which S-rank CGs were changed with the 1.0.2 update? I just noticed Marianne's artwork got fixed at some point (part of her white ribbon used to be missing) and I dunno if the same happened with others like Hanneman's lack of goatee.

1779783978_mariannesupdate.png.2167ccf41299cffbd7656242f240ebef.png

Edited by Moltz23

So, stupid maddening question.

I've been trying to find guidance on when you recruit units from other houses in Part 1 and I don't know where. For context, I am on GD and I'm planning on picking up most but not all students (Sylvain's free because F!Byleth, Dorothea and Annette are being skipped and I plan on not using the Part 1 paralogue recruits past their paralogues). I've heard that mages are better recruited early on and physical units later generally, but I don't know how universal that is.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:26 AM, Dayni said:

So, stupid maddening question.

I've been trying to find guidance on when you recruit units from other houses in Part 1 and I don't know where. For context, I am on GD and I'm planning on picking up most but not all students (Sylvain's free because F!Byleth, Dorothea and Annette are being skipped and I plan on not using the Part 1 paralogue recruits past their paralogues). I've heard that mages are better recruited early on and physical units later generally, but I don't know how universal that is.

Units who automatically become monks or fighters are best recruited when they are in that class I think, because it means they join with at least a D in all of the relevant weapon ranks (so as an example, Bernie would join with a D in Brawling and Axes if you recruit her as a fighter, but E in both when you recruit her as an archer). Of course, some units automatically train the right ranks anyway, so they don't really care about it (Mercedes trains both Faith and Reason, so she doesn't need the bump to D that Monk would give in either).

Ingrid likes joining as a pegasus knight because of the bases. Outside of that, I think most units just like to be recruited as soon as you can get them so you have more time to customize them. If you're not planning to use them besides a paralogue, recruiting them just before you do so is a nice way to get them leveled without it costing you anything though.

12 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Units who automatically become monks or fighters are best recruited when they are in that class I think, because it means they join with at least a D in all of the relevant weapon ranks (so as an example, Bernie would join with a D in Brawling and Axes if you recruit her as a fighter, but E in both when you recruit her as an archer). Of course, some units automatically train the right ranks anyway, so they don't really care about it (Mercedes trains both Faith and Reason, so she doesn't need the bump to D that Monk would give in either).

Ingrid likes joining as a pegasus knight because of the bases. Outside of that, I think most units just like to be recruited as soon as you can get them so you have more time to customize them. If you're not planning to use them besides a paralogue, recruiting them just before you do so is a nice way to get them leveled without it costing you anything though.

I assume Bernie by chapter 5 would still be a fighter, but not chapter 6? Okay, that's a challenge because I've got her to C support by now. It's also a good reason not to press the Sylvain button for the next few months.

I'm also stuck thinking on Chapter 4 and if I should have a battle for my third free day or monastery. I'm at C rank, so on the one hand getting more rank would be nice. On the other hand raising my unit's combat experience seems like a more important thing to do in anticipation for this chapter.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'm also stuck thinking on Chapter 4 and if I should have a battle for my third free day or monastery. I'm at C rank, so on the one hand getting more rank would be nice. On the other hand raising my unit's combat experience seems like a more important thing to do in anticipation for this chapter.

I guess it depends on if you're gonna fight the Death Knight or not? If Lysithea's at B rank Reason, then that with Stride should do the trick, and the rest of the map is just not being careless. If you're gonna avoid him, then your army being Lv 7 or so should be good enough. Just make sure not to aggro the boss before you're ready, because he'll move towards your party even if you aren't in range.

6 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

I guess it depends on if you're gonna fight the Death Knight or not? If Lysithea's at B rank Reason, then that with Stride should do the trick, and the rest of the map is just not being careless. If you're gonna avoid him, then your army being Lv 7 or so should be good enough. Just make sure not to aggro the boss before you're ready, because he'll move towards your party even if you aren't in range.

I mean, having done the fight she was 7 magic attack off 1-shotting him, so I had Hilda rallied to tank him and not be doubled, Marianne brought him in range with a gambit (Hilda hit) and Lysithea blew him away with Dark Spikes.

And yes, doing the battle for my third day proved the best idea.