Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

xmPierH.png

oh no

But Cyber Gnosticism is the Xenofranchise.

Technically, IRL Gnosticism was a movement that turned into a form of early Christianity that died off, though it's more a pagan thing all its own. Mystical and esoteric, it's shouldn't be a surprise why it faded away and orthodox Christianity prevailed. Emphasis on there being a spiritual world and a material world, and what is material is inherently bad. The material world is the result of a divine accident that created the Demiurge -aka "Yaldabaoth"- the arrogant being that thinks itself the One True God and the master of the physical world. The human is soul is spiritual, containing the light of wisdom yearning to be free of the material world and returned to the spiritual world where the pantheon of benevolent Aeons, known as the Pleroma resides. And leading the Pleroma is the Monad, which is the One True God of the spiritual world which preceded the physical one. The lowest ranked of the Aeons is Sophia, whose importance lay in being the mother of the Demiurge.

Therefore, any "Cyber-Gnosticism" should I would think assert the material world is evil, and liberation lay in having your memory and consciousness uploaded into cyberspace, removed from one's physical body.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

46 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

The book is too long to be adapted in just movie, so they made the best of what came to mind. I still hope for a faithful adaptation, and preference as a tv series.

This reminds me that someone made an anime adaption of it was any good.

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then find one of the Marquis de Sade's "masterpieces" and read 18th century sexism and eroticism. Your brain won't need luck if it has already died.

Oh.

I think I'll pass.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Therefore, any "Cyber-Gnosticism" should I would think assert the material world is evil, and liberation lay in having your memory and consciousness uploaded into cyberspace, removed from one's physical body.

exactly what's this Cult is going for. They even have a Sophia as Ai

Thx for the mini history lesson^^

40 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Tsubaki became... Subaki.

Tsukuyomi became Hayato.

Kazahana became... Hana.

Nishiki became Kaden.

Yuugiri became Reina.

Crimson became... Scarlet.

Dia became Dwyer.

Midoriko became... Midori.

Shinonome became Shiro.

Kisaragi became Kiragi.

Kinu became Selkie.

Gurei became Asugi.

Matoi became Caeldori.

Syalla became Rhajat.

So I'm assuming the localization team tried to change the names to make them more "comprehensible" to overseas players while still keeping the Japanese flare.

There are some I don't understand at all though. I'm no expert on Japanese names.

d9lnJ8J.png

GttWFRq.png

3TQa61M.png

Wew

...should i spoiler tag this from here on out? Incase any of you are interested in this...

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Xeno cult!? We seeing a Xeno run now on the thread?!

nah we playin some Sci-fi games and comparing them to Xeno xD

Still waiting for XBC3 announcement. And FE17 while at it, even if leaks popped up for that today

Edited by Shrimpresident

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Judging by the back cover of this one, sounds like I'm gonna need that luck, so I appreciate it. Sounds like it's gonna be extremely edgy, but maybe it'll be OK.

Why? Do French-Canadian works have a bad reputation?

It's not so much bad reputation as much as... well, 9/10 times you'll get a story about someone depressed explaining their mundane life and how everything is terrible, and there's going to be a huge amount of interpersonal drama, as much as you'd see in a soap opera, but without the pizzaz to it, just a lampshade to make you feel sorry for the characters or plain sad. They just don't tend to make the feelings part very well either. I don't know about that author, and he may be among the good ones, but those are few and far between and judging only by the titles of his works, there's a non-negligible chance he's a run of the mill quebecois author who wants you to think they're super deep by lampshading a depressed person.

To put it simply, it's a bit like taking Johnny McEdgy and taking all of the darkness out. And that's the entire story.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'm not gonna watch this until I get to OGs 2.5, where the short preview (?) of OG Gaiden's events I know will give me Folka for a map. -Although I have listened to OGs renditions of Crimson Shura (God) and Roar Supreme Destroyer/Roar Oh One Who Break Supremacy too many times.

And I can't get to OGs2 until after Xenosaga Episode III b/c I'm stubbornly clinging to an old plan, although Armagon is making me want to break that plan right now.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

exactly what's this Cult is going for. They even have a Sophia as Ai

Thx for the mini history lesson^^

You're welcome.🙂 Having a crystal clear idea of what Gnosticism is difficult, given it was mystical and hence secretive and overly complicated. And because it died out, without one single definite codification or complete set of texts left behind.

Gnosticism has attracted some attention in various video games over the years, mostly because of that spiritual-material divide.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Gnosticism has attracted some attention in various video games over the years, mostly because of that spiritual-material divide

Yeah i have seen it many times, but i never really thought about it's rl origins, and the little time i thought about it i thought it was from greek mythology xD

Edited by Shrimpresident

Screenshot_6337.png?width=294&height=432

Screenshot_6338.png

They really be hammering in the reference.

Screenshot_6339.png

Screenshot_6340.png

Screenshot_6341.png

Haha.

Screenshot_6342.png

Oh yeah Xenosaga time.

51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Brave New World's instrumental rendition was good to boot, I hadn't really heard it before.

It wasn't in the first EF i think, making this the first instance of it appearing.

12 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

nah we playin some Sci-fi games and comparing them to Xeno xD

And the one i'm playing has Xeno content in it.

12 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Still waiting for XBC3 announcement

XCX2 first.

15 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

It's not so much bad reputation as much as... well, 9/10 times you'll get a story about someone depressed explaining their mundane life and how everything is terrible, and there's going to be a huge amount of interpersonal drama, as much as you'd see in a soap opera, but without the pizzaz to it, just a lampshade to make you feel sorry for the characters or plain sad.

>The play is about teenager drama

>Set during the Grande Noirceur and is apparently bleak

>Negative reviews on Goodreads, many of which stating that nothing happens

>Even the french reviews almost all say 2.5/5

Oh no.

Then again, perhaps I shouldn't judge, given that there are a lot of reviews like this one:

MW59FF6.png

Wonderful.

Edited by Benice

Just now, Benice said:

>The play is about teenager drama

>Negative reviews on Goodreads, many of which stating that nothing happens

>Even the french reviews almost all say 2.5/5

Oh no.

Then again, perhaps I shouldn't judge, given that there are a lot of reviews like this one:

MW59FF6.png

Wonderful.

- Teenage drama

- Nothing happens

- Dying of boredom before being able to form a full sentence, let alone an opinion

Yep, seems like your typical québécois work. Fight on! I'll be looking for a spare brain in case we can't find back the one you'll lose along the way.

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

Yep, seems like your typical québécois work. Fight on! I'll be looking for a spare brain in case we can't find back the one you'll lose along the way.

Oof...

Well, it's apparently rather classic, perhaps it'll end up being a diamond in the rough. Thank you for searching for that spare brain, though.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Oof...

Well, it's apparently rather classic, perhaps it'll end up being a diamond in the rough. Thank you for searching for that spare brain, though.

Hahaha! Classics. I have long lost faith in that word. Hopefully you'll be able to find some sort of enjoyment out of the drab nothingness, but I think I'll be looking for an entire spare body now. 

19 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Yeah i have seen it many times, but i never really thought about it's rl origins, and the little time i thought about it i thought it was greek xD

Demiurge is a Greek word, as is Gnosticism- "gnosis" means "knowledge" or "insight" with a mystical connotation. And Sophia is Greek for "wisdom".

This isn't surprising. Greek was the philosophical language of the time, sure it was the Roman Empire when Gnosticism happened, but Greek was as prominent as Latin.

Apparently, in Hebrew -relevant for early Christian Gnosticism b/c Christianity began as a Jewish cult- Sophia was known as "Achamoth". Sound familar? Although it seems like a totally random namedrop, it would've made a lick of sense if it was the name of a different location in the same game.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_6338.png

They really be hammering in the reference.

No clue if you'll have resorted to AR by then, but you haven't, don't forget to return here before heading off to the final battles. No point in not splurging all your money at the very end on those MAX Cookies and other expensive consumable goodies.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

XCX2 first.

I'll probably be screaming more "Where is X2!!!!!????" than celebrating XC3's announcement if that is what is next in the pipeline. I want resolution, is that too much to ask for? -No offense to XC3, I'll be happy for that.

2 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Hahaha! Classics. I have long lost faith in that word.

We live in a world where Twilight is a classic, so I have little faith as well.

2 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Hopefully you'll be able to find some sort of enjoyment out of the drab nothingness, but I think I'll be looking for an entire spare body now. 

Aye. We're reading it as a play in class, so maybe that bit will be fun. Hopefully the character I play gets to murder someone, it'd at least be memorable.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Aye. We're reading it as a play in class, so maybe that bit will be fun. Hopefully the character I play gets to murder someone, it'd at least be memorable.

Hmmm... it's not unheard of. It's far from frequent, afaik, but I've seen it happen here and there. I don't think the killers are typically characters in the play, more like plot elements, but I do remember one play where a character killed a living being as part of the twist. It was extremely boring, but at least it had that I guess.

When you say "reading it as a play" do you mean you actually act the play, or people around the class recite monotonely the lines they're given? That was always one of my biggest cringe back in highschool (being a word freak and all that). You see lines with exclamation marks and emotion into them but they're just read ultra plainly like every character is a dead narrator at their own funeral incapable of processing the information in front of them.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

This reminds me that someone made an anime adaption of it was any good.

It's an adaptation of a nineteenth century classic French novel, in the future, in space with aliens, space ships, giant robots and evil spirits. Of course it's good. The seiyuus are also top tier.

50 minutes ago, Benice said:

Do you know what's better than Twilight? Rule 63 Twilight. That shit send me straight back to the lates 2000, when I was just starting to watch anime.

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

There are some I don't understand at all though. I'm no expert on Japanese names.

If you're curious, I recommend looking at the etymology of the names on each character's page.

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_Fire_Emblem_Fates

1 hour ago, Lorneus said:

people around the class recite monotonely the lines they're given?

Bingo, though there are at least a few people who'd try to deliver the lines with accents.

1 hour ago, Lorneus said:

You see lines with exclamation marks and emotion into them but they're just read ultra plainly like every character is a dead narrator at their own funeral incapable of processing the information in front of them.

I expect to hear a lot of this, especially since it's in our second language.

There's also gonna be a lot of people pronouncing the -ent of ils/elles verbs, which will make even a low-tier french speaker like myself cringe.

24 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

It's an adaptation of a nineteenth century classic French novel, in the future, in space with aliens, space ships, giant robots and evil spirits. Of course it's good

Oh my.

The seiyuus are also top tier.

What's a seiyuu?

Do you know what's better than Twilight? Rule 63 Twilight. That shit send me straight back to the lates 2000, when I was just starting to watch anime.

WHAT IS RULE 63 TWILIGHT?

...Actually, what is rule 63?

Just now, Benice said:

What's a seiyuu?

WHAT IS RULE 63 TWILIGHT?

...Actually, what is rule 63?

Just in case, Seiyuu is the term for Japanese Voice Actors... I'm pretty sure that's what SeEiyuu means anyway.

Rule 63 is basically: Everything has a Genderbent version.