Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No loading either! The best way to experience this trilogy is to bear up and accept the consequences of your actions. I mean, there's like one battle in the entire series that game overs you if you lose, anyway.

As in... if I lose a battle, just give up and progress without winning?

51 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

That game sounds like hell to someone like me who tries to get everything possible in a game xD

I do the same, but it should be fine if you just buckle down and accept that the point is to not get everything.

43 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Though I imagine a completionist would sweat bullets. I mean, the game is rather FE'ish in that you have a big roster but few deployment slots to use them... But unless you follow a guide like a filthy cheater, you'll need those back-up characters, haha.

👀

I will try. Although, you seem very certain that characters dying is inevitable, are these stupid surprises or good choices? It’s not like haha sucker, you sent character x into building y so they got hit by a meteor, you suck! right?

41 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

Like i am not a real completionist, since i tend to avoid annoying stuff if possible for example, but i always try to aim for the 100% (and only succeded like, 2 times so far)

Well not using a guide would make it a lot more difficult.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Bureaucracy... bureaucracy never changes...

China has enshrined bureaucracy as a fact of human existence for millennia, to the point heaven and hell are bureaucracies and stories have been made of people being assigned to the wrong afterlife location because of a misfiling -so I'm told.

I haven't been the direct victim of gross government error yet, but that doesn't stop me from devoting my waking hours to political worry and fear.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

Guides ruin games imo

I use them for some collectibles and when I have absolutely no idea what to do to progress. I think that’s it.

9 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

Guides ruin games imo

Oof, then I reccomend never to play Tactics Ogre. Not if you want to to experience about 50% of the game, at least! Xd events are so out in left field you need a guide to enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Data Laughing TNG GIF - DataLaughing TNG StarTrek - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

You disagree? Well of course you would! SRW's sometimes obscene yet awesome secrets (I want that extra pilot/mech/attack) would do that to you. -Not saying they're all horrendous, I do realize most have a logic, but I still find some steps which are still fairly "how would I be led to naturally do this?".

And then I look at a certain vintage of Tales games, the Symphonia-Abyss-Vesperia trio, and there a case is made both for use of guides and against them. They're so long, that you might settle with a single run of the game, and therefore wouldn't want to miss any of the easy missables. But constantly referencing a guide because you're trying to do this stuff you'd otherwise be blissfully ignorant of, could become an utter chore. 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

And i'll actually be able to play because i'll be getting a PS4 hopefully this week but if not, i'll probably have it sometime in June.

I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or wish you good luck, honestly. Well, here's to hoping you dont have as many problems as I do with the PS4! 

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

You disagree? Well of course you would! SRW's sometimes obscene yet awesome secrets (I want that extra pilot/mech/attack) would do that to you. -Not saying they're all horrendous, I do realize most have a logic, but I still find some steps which are still fairly "how would I be led to naturally do this?".

And then I look at a certain vintage of Tales games, the Symphonia-Abyss-Vesperia trio, and there a case is made both for use of guides and against them. They're so long, that you might settle with a single run of the game, and therefore wouldn't want to miss any of the easy missables. But constantly referencing a guide because you're trying to do this stuff you'd otherwise be blissfully ignorant of, could become an utter chore. 

More like my "I can't be bothered to let this ruin my experience" attitude.

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

As in... if I lose a battle, just give up and progress without winning?

The game continues if you lose battles. Sometimes the consequences are small, other times they're huge. So far I've only encountered two battles that demand you win. One of them's avoidable, too.

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I do the same, but it should be fine if you just buckle down and accept that the point is to not get everything.

Exactly.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I will try. Although, you seem very certain that characters dying is inevitable, are these stupid surprises or good choices? It’s not like haha sucker, you sent character x into building y so they got hit by a meteor, you suck! right?

Well, not inevitable. The amount of character deaths that are absolutely inevitable is extremely low... But so is the amount of characters who are safe from death throughout the entire series.

As for your question... No, I don't think so. There's a logic to most choices. Just about every time I fucked up, I was able to tell how in retrospect. Now, by this I don't mean that the game is forgiving. Sometimes you'll make a choice and instantly somebody will die, no second chances or anything. What I mean to say is, think things through before you make a decision.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The game continues if you lose battles. Sometimes the consequences are small, other times they're huge. So far I've only encountered two battles that demand you win. One of them's avoidable, too.

Well yeah, but are you advising that if I lose a battle I should just roll with it? Because my first instinct would be to reset and brown give up.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As for your question... No, I don't think so. There's a logic to most choices. Just about every time I fucked up, I was able to tell how in retrospect. Now, by this I don't mean that the game is forgiving. Sometimes you'll make a choice and instantly somebody will die, no second chances or anything. What I mean to say is, think things through before you make a decision.

I don’t want it to be forgiving, I just want it to not be stupid.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well yeah, but are you advising that if I lose a battle I should just roll with it?

Roll with it unless the game makes you not.

I don’t want it to be forgiving, I just want it to not be stupid.

It's not. You'll be punching yourself in the face for every mistake, not wishing you could do the same to the devs.

Been working through my current run of Berwick. Faye got 2 strength and 1 defense in 2 levels, and Sylvis managed to land a <10% cripple on Valentin, Gariad, and Garos, all without Maim procs (and in the last case, even using Aim!). Already picked up the Treasure Chest and Vase so far from Jonathan. 

Christine has more Bow skill than Crossbow skill, too. This is a bit cursed, but hey, it'll make getting her the rest of the way much easier.

Dean also managed to kill Chaos in the usual fashion - spamming vulneraries, Sakhalin heals, and Iron axe buffed by the Muscle Brace from 2-main. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Roll with it unless the game makes you not.

Hmm, speaking of, how difficult is the game? Difficulty options?

Hmm, speaking of, how difficult is the game? Difficulty options?

There's easy, normal and hard. I recommend normal, it's what I did in my first run and I only lost a few battles, I think it was fair. Hard is too much for the first time.

You can change difficulties at any time, by the way, without consequence. So feel free to adjust it as you go if you deem it necessary.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Screenshot_20210531-131850.png

Imma be honest, I didn't expect that you could have up to three kids in Rune Factory 5.

One of my complaints with 4 is that you're the only one that gets to have a kid so the town ends up feeling a little bit less alive. Now, you're still the only one but at least there's more now.

Just now, Armagon said:

Screenshot_20210531-131850.png

Imma be honest, I didn't expect that you could have up to three kids in Rune Factory 5.

One of my complaints with 4 is that you're the only one that gets to have a kid so the town ends up feeling a little bit less alive. Now, you're still the only one but at least there's more now.

Okay but can I outfit my children with axes and have them lop off the heads of my foes?

More common in RF than you think.

It first began in RF2, where in a twist you instead switched to your child as the player character, as father dearest was now contractually obliged to disappear as most JRPG dads are not to do without. Finding him is the plot of the second half of the game, pretty much.

Then RF4 did it next, but you still kept playing as your character. Child simply became another character that could join your team.

And now RF5 is following on the same it seems. But man, three? That's certainly a big change. Not even HM/SoS did that much... I think. Definitely two in some games, but not three.

Five is right out.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Five is right out.

Bring it to six, and Rune Factory can make a sudden grimdark turn ala The Good Earth, where the sons sells the dying traditionalist father's cherished farmland because they've turned Communist (or Chinese Nationalist, I forget if it's specifically one ideology or the other).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Good. I'll get the game and call my children Yubello. Then the entire world shall fear my name...!

Yumina and Yubello as twins then?

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Five is right out.

Three is the number of counting, and the number of counting, shall be three. Or something like that. Xd

Edited by lightcosmo

Ghost 1.0 is a Metroidvania where you get to control enemies and while that does sound like fun, i feel like the game didn't take full advantage of that. Most of the time, you'll be controlling enemies simply for puzzle solving. It was pretty fun controlling enemies and making them fall to their deaths but i gotta say, this was definitely the game's biggest missed potential.

The general gameplay itself is good enough though. It controls well and the combat being generally quick was nice. I prefer it when Metroidvanias are faster-paced. However, the game suffers when it comes to boss fights, as i don't think there's an actual good boss fight here. The final boss is the worst one, as it's less of an actual fight and more of a cargo protect mission that is simultaneously a bullet hell. The game also does this thing where you lose all money when you die and at least for me, this meant i couldn't upgrade and buy new things as much as i wanted to.

The worst part of the game however, is the writing. Early on, it's very cringe and filled with shoehorned pop-culture references. Later on, the game takes itself seriously but i couldn't really care as i had no reason to care about any of the characters. Ghost herself is very flat and while her fist bumping every time she beats a boss is cute, it's not enough. The two supporting characters aren't much better (they are the source of the cringe dialogue) and the villains just don't exist. I know Metroidvanias aren't known for their writing but all the other ones at least made me care about the characters in some way. Honestly, this game would've been a lot better if there was no dialogue.

I bought the game for $3 so i'm not actually mad at this. Like i said, the core gameplay is good enough but there's just a lot of missed potential here and i'd definitely call it the worst Metroidvania i've played so far.

6/10.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Good. I'll get the game and call my children Yubello. Then the entire world shall fear my name...!

Yubello 1, Yubello 2, and their younger sister, Yubella.

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And now RF5 is following on the same it seems. But man, three? That's certainly a big change. Not even HM/SoS did that much... I think. Definitely two in some games, but not three.

Yeah, i'm surprised that they're allowing three. I definitely look forward to the character events that come out of this tho.