Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Finally got back to Ys IX and finished Chapter 8. Plot revelations were plentiful, not entirely the most surprising, but not bad. I'm curious about Adol's importance...

Spoiler

His adventurer memories being used for something and serving as the source of the Primordials. For the love of shanking studs please don't have me fight a Dana homunculus! 

The lack of a real mid boss was disappointing, while the boss was alright, but I felt like that they should've been stronger and more intense. I think the boss should've been faster, and I've noticed that practically all "strong" non-boss enemies in Y IX are big, slow, heavy hitters; agile enemies that kill you in a thousand fast cuts are practically nonexistent. Feels like a design flaw. The Chapter 8 dungeon seemed mediocre compared to what came before it, and Third Eye was used horribly too- the invisible switches were right next to the doors they activated.

I didn't play as much Ys as I should've ...because I still had some residual passions.😆 Which I resolved in the same way some people go about a food craving. If you want to stop wanting chocolate for a while, eat chocolate to excess. Same logic hopefully ought to work with human flesh, minus the eating.

I'll pick up Monstrum Nox again tomorrow, although I'd probably take two more days to finish it, perhaps three. Just got to keep the ball rolling. How many waves is the last Nox defense going to be? I want to get it over with.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Welp, today’s the day I face my math final.

Probably not the best night to have gotten 5 hours of sleep, but I think I know what I’m doing.

I have now gotten the Sphere Tactics.

It has a cute inverse cover that is now not the inverse cover.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I didn't play as much Ys as I should've ...because I still had some residual passions.😆 Which I resolved in the same way some people go about a food craving. If you want to stop wanting chocolate for a while, eat chocolate to excess. Same logic hopefully ought to work with human flesh, minus the eating.

Do I need to get the bonk out again?

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Probably not the best night to have gotten 5 hours of sleep, but I think I know what I’m doing.

Get your math down!

Good luck.

About time we got more Live a Live trailers.

...lol the dude from Oboro's chapter has a thick British accent. You know, the very Japanese dude from the very Japanese chapter. Interesting.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Follow Benedict's advice. It's always very funny.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

About time we got more Live a Live trailers.

...lol the dude from Oboro's chapter has a thick British accent. You know, the very Japanese dude from the very Japanese chapter. Interesting.

That is pretty noticeable, none of them having a clear Japanese accent is a shame.

Probably the same for the Imperial China scenario too, judging by Akira's scenario (Also, Matsu's name is Lawless now? By the looks of it no, considering he was called Matsu in the first footage we got of this remake. And that's ignoring the name changes that have gone down, especially in the 8th scenario).

Getting a cutscene of O. Dio's bunch coming in is sick though and the remade music is still all good so far (A Painful Death at the Hands of a Psycho gets the sax it deserved).

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Probably the same for the Imperial China scenario too, judging by Akira's scenario (Also, Matsu's name is Lawless now? By the looks of it no, considering he was called Matsu in the first footage we got of this remake. And that's ignoring the name changes that have gone down, especially in the 8th scenario).

Looking up, it's due to his moniker, Muhomatsu, which means Wild/Lawless Matsu. So just Lawless instead of Lawless Matsu I suppose, at least when referred to as such.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

24 minutes ago, Dayni said:

That is pretty noticeable, none of them having a clear Japanese accent is a shame.

Probably the same for the Imperial China scenario too, judging by Akira's scenario

Actually, the Master did have a thick Chinese accent. I don't think the kids did tho.

(Also, Matsu's name is Lawless now? By the looks of it no, considering he was called Matsu in the first footage we got of this remake.

I mean, I doubt the dude from Oboro's tale is just "the prisoner" lol.

And that's ignoring the name changes that have gone down, especially in the 8th scenario).

Actually, I don't mind these. Stuff like Li to Lei or Hash to Hasshe is a bit jarring, but Straybow was a really stupid name, I'm glad they're changing it to something that looks namey. Alicia to Alethea is a bit whatever, but I'll admit I like the latter better, personally. And hey, they respected Uranus.

Getting a cutscene of O. Dio's bunch coming in is sick though and the remade music is still all good so far (A Painful Death at the Hands of a Psycho gets the sax it deserved).

The mecha getting a massive 3D cutscene blew my mind. That's going to be amazing.

26 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Looking up, it's due to his moniker, Muhomatsu, which means Wild/Lawless Matsu. So just Lawless instead of Lawless Matsu I suppose, at least when referred to as such.

I'm assuming him being called Matsu is a moment now.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, the Master did have a thick Chinese accent. I don't think the kids did tho.

Have we heard the kids yet?

But yeah, he did. I'm on about the scenario as a while, but he definitely does.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, I don't mind these. Stuff like Li to Lei or Hash to Hasshe is a bit jarring, but Straybow was a really stupid name, I'm glad they're changing it to something that looks namey. Alicia to Alethea is a bit whatever, but I'll admit I like the latter better, personally. And hey, they respected Uranus.

I wasn't so sure how to feel about Hasshe, Alethea or Streibough, so I felt like I should link it. Straybow is definitely dumb, considering he uses no bow.

Indeed they respected Uranus, which is nice.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The mecha getting a massive 3D cutscene blew my mind. That's going to be amazing.

That'll be a nice looking and sounding end for the scenario.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I wasn't so sure how to feel about Hasshe, Alethea or Streibough, so I felt like I should link it. Straybow is definitely dumb, considering he uses no bow.

Frankly, I feel the problem here is just that everyone's used to the old names. But they had a distinct "janky old fanslation" feel to them. It's very noticeable in Straybow. It'll get a while to get used to the changes, but this isn't like FEHeroes, which seems to go out of its way to transliterate the ugliest, most horrendous names and then turns around and changes completely fine names to Dry Ass. I think the new names are mostly an improvement so far, or at the very least, harmless.

...Mostly. I still don't understand why they threw an e in Li's name.

Indeed they respected Uranus, which is nice.

Considering they not only respected but improved Zaki's dickzard, it's honestly not that surprising.

That'll be a nice looking and sounding end for the scenario.

I can point at that to make Armagon play the game lololololol

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Frankly, I feel the problem here is just that everyone's used to the old names. But they had a distinct "janky old fanslation" feel to them. It's very noticeable in Straybow. It'll get a while to get used to the changes, but this isn't like FEHeroes, which seems to go out of its way to transliterate the ugliest, most horrendous names and then turns around and changes completely fine names to Dry Ass. I think the new names are mostly an improvement so far, or at the very least, harmless.

Dryas is an actual name, unlike Dorias. Besides, how do you know Dryas wasn't actually the intended one and the fan translations got it wrong?

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Considering they not only respected but improved Zaki's dickzard, it's honestly not that surprising.

Looking forward to see how they handle Cube's scenario.

Going over the trailers (checking the old ones mostly) I just realised right as it goes to the title for each of the scenario trailers it transitions on a litter from the title. Each one looks to be different and it works because the amount of white letters match the number of scenarios.

Just a neat detail I noticed.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Dryas is an actual name, unlike Dorias. Besides, how do you know Dryas wasn't actually the intended one and the fan translations got it wrong?

I spoke to Kaga

Nah, seriously though, that's fair enough. My immature dum dum brain just can't take Dry Ass seriously, I'm afraid. You could throw me the entire etymological origin of Dryas and I'd still be making jokes at its expense because I am not a very smart man. Besides, what's their excuse for Carrion, then?

Looking forward to see how they handle Cube's scenario.

Me too, that one was always one of my favorites. The grand-daddy of RPGMaker horror games. Before Ib, there was Cube.

Going over the trailers (checking the old ones mostly) I just realised right as it goes to the title for each of the scenario trailers it transitions on a litter from the title. Each one looks to be different and it works because the amount of white letters match the number of scenarios.

Just a neat detail I noticed.

Ohhhh. That's awesome.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I spoke to Kaga

Nah, seriously though, that's fair enough. My immature dum dum brain just can't take Dry Ass seriously, I'm afraid. You could throw me the entire etymological origin of Dryas and I'd still be making jokes at its expense because I am not a very smart man. Besides, what's their excuse for Carrion, then?

¿Eres de España y no reconoces Carrión?

Was in the mood to dig up Iclucian Dance last night. Listening to it led me to recheck the whole Ys VIII ost, as it had largely fallen out of my memory. It appears to confirm my problem with the Y IX soundtrack that keeps it pretty forgettable. That being, Monstrum Nox's music is incoherent, it has no core, no guiding thread that the ears can ride along to the composition's conclusion. Lacrimosa of Dana's instrumentation usually has something you can follow, with everything else being a kaleidoscopic tunnel of sounds surrounding you. Nox is blood without veins and arteries, a big mess that circulates through nothing, and therefore serves little use. It is a pile of mud from the ancient banks of the Tigris and Euphrates, capable of being a magnificent ziggurat, but nobody has dried it, nobody has shaped it into bricks and stacked them properly, it is a mound of moist dirt. It is a diffuse cosmic cloud of hydrogen, yet to condense into a brilliant star. Perhaps I could call it white noise? Egalitarianism is a great idea for humanity, but for music, a certain measure of hierarchy is useful, not all sounds should be equal and indistinguishable at the same time.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Do I need to get the bonk out again?

Nah, it should be gone now. The desire to look at that stuff has been sated for several months next month be Pride Month tho'. My thirst will now be sated with water and sugary fruit juices.🍎🍇🍋 (Though I do feel a little more serious about buying some of that kind of pixel junk food eventually.)

Although, I had to get a little driving experience in today, and I kept reminding myself "Don't get distracted by horny thoughts again!". Though that in itself is a form of distraction, and it doesn't exactly kill the underlying thoughts either. I tried substituting the happy distraction with the numinous power of video game music, except maybe Steel Beowulf is not the best tune to think of when driving. I was going a little faster than I should've, probably unconsciously feeling like I was charging in to stab something with a Revolver Stake.😅 I'm too scatterbrained and lacking in quick, adaptive reflexes and instincts for the roadways, especially alone with no one to compensate for my errors. And yet, I know I have to.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Enjoy! I'll get it to buying it eventually, probably before the year is over.

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

¿Eres de España y no reconoces Carrión?

...No, actually. Shameful as it may be, I don't think I've ever heard it. But it does explain a lot. Goddamnit stop having answers for everything and let me hate Heroes in peace.

Oy vey... If I end up missin' school again tomorrow because of this dang cold, I'm gonna be really angry.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Good luck! I have faith that you will do well.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...No, actually. Shameful as it may be, I don't think I've ever heard it. But it does explain a lot. Goddamnit stop having answers for everything and let me hate Heroes in peace.

But well, just for the record to everyone else.

The Carrión River of Spain is written as カリオン川 in Japan. Carrión is also a Spanish surname. カリオン being what, well, Carrion is called in Japan. Thus that's also why CYL goes with Carrion.

The old Fan translation went literal with Carion, then Project Exile going Callion... well, Callion is a valid English surname, and thanks to the R/L stuff of Japan, then either could apply. Though Kallion is also a Greek word, like Dryas.

In Kaga's own words:

Thracia on Romance countries like Spain

Thracia was modeled after Spain, while Leonster, in the north, was modeled after Italy.

So yes, either the Spanish Carrión and the Greek Kallion could fit.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But well, just for the record to everyone else.

The Carrión River of Spain is written as カリオン川 in Japan. Carrión is also a Spanish surname. カリオン being what, well, Carrion is called in Japan. Thus that's also why CYL goes with Carrion.

The old Fan translation went literal with Carion, then Project Exile going Callion... well, Callion is a valid English surname, and thanks to the R/L stuff of Japan, then either could apply. Though Kallion is also a Greek word, like Dryas.

In Kaga's own words:

Thracia was modeled after Spain, while Leonster, in the north, was modeled after Italy.

So yes, either the Spanish Carrión and the Greek Kallion could fit.

Ohhhhh it's a river! I'd completely forgotten my elementary school geography classes... Yeah, that does actually explain a whole lot. Huh. Maybe I've been tougher on IntSys than they deserved.

Okay then, Acacia. Let me put your skills to the ultimate test.

Belf.

Explain that.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(Though I do feel a little more serious about buying some of that kind of pixel junk food eventually.)

Then I recommend this.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, I had to get a little driving experience in today, and I kept reminding myself "Don't get distracted by horny thoughts again!". Though that in itself is a form of distraction, and it doesn't exactly kill the underlying thoughts either. I tried substituting the happy distraction with the numinous power of video game music, except maybe Steel Beowulf is not the best tune to think of when driving. I was going a little faster than I should've, probably unconsciously feeling like I was charging in to stab something with a Revolver Stake.😅 I'm too scatterbrained and lacking in quick, adaptive reflexes and instincts for the roadways, especially alone with no one to compensate for my errors. And yet, I know I have to.

That's the thing about driving, focus is both essential and a pain to maintain for an extended period. Not looking forward o hours of driving alone to be honest, especially with the bad drive I had this weekend where I let myself get off focus.

The reflex thing is also a pain if something unexpected comes along (Then again, that unexpected thing can cause you to fail even if you handled it correctly).

Point being, the test sucks.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Belf.

Explain that.

IS be like this:

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Feels like a design flaw

fixed on Inferno and higher as only there enemies are fast. Yeah dumb descision, but Falcom hasn't been really good with difficulty for like 12 years now.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm curious about Adol's importance

btw, did you collect the Azure petals and give em to the girl that wants them?

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ohhhhh it's a river! I'd completely forgotten my elementary school geography classes... Yeah, that does actually explain a whole lot. Huh. Maybe I've been tougher on IntSys than they deserved.

Okay then, Acacia. Let me put your skills to the ultimate test.

Belf.

Explain that.

Belf... it's very possible it's actually meant to be Berg. The Bergse Mass canal of the Netherlands. In Japan, it's written ベルフセ・マース川, and Belf is ベルフ.

Now, why could it be possible? Because of the other Sable Knights. Reiden is probably meant to be Leiden, which is a Dutch city.

Finally, Roberto... Roberto as a name has Germanic roots, of which Dutch is also derived from. They use Robert. It passed on to the French, and from there to the rest of the Latin World, which we then changed to Roberto.

Thus, Bergse/Belf, Leiden, Robert. All Dutch names. So this is probably the theme Kaga was going on there.

In this case, the Thracian Robert is likely meant to be actually the one called Roberto, again, because Kaga was basing the Thracian peninsula with the Romance Countries.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Belf... it's very possible it's actually meant to be Berg. The Berge Mass canal of the Netherlands. In Japan, it's written ベルフセ・マース川, and Belf is ベルフ.

Now, why could it be possible? Because of the other Sable Knights. Reiden is probably meant to be Leiden, which is a Dutch city.

Finally, Roberto... Roberto as a name has Germanic roots, of which Dutch is also derived from. They use Robert. It passed on to the French, and from there to the rest of the Latin World, which we then changed to Roberto.

Thus, Bergse/Belf, Leiden, Robert. All Dutch names. So this is probably the theme Kaga was going on there.

In this case, the Thracian Robert is likely meant to be actually the one called Roberto, again, because Kaga was basing the Thracian peninsula with the Romance Countries.

Well, you're a genius. That makes all of the sense. Thanks for going the extra mile.

...Honestly, at this point you're just straight up putting more thought into it than IntSys lol. Given how they butchered Berg and Leiden and Spanishied the wrong Robert, the pattern most likely flew over their heads too.