Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

15 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Radiance. Thanks to Ike he's considered an FE9 rep.

Makes sense. My gut was leaning towards that direction too.

Anyway... How does Goldmary stack up?

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Reinford said:

Hey guys. I have a question regarding the well - how do I efficiently use it to get SP Books? I'm donating items but I'm starting to run out of them. Thanks!

I often just toss in a random low-value item, even a 1-use vulnerary or torch has that 50% chance to get the basic book, for instance. I dunno that it's a great use of your money to put in more valuable things; in particular I can't ever see myself throwing in 5k at once, which is what's needed for 3-star. Your milage may vary.

One tip I have is to make sure to donate your nearly-dead Mend Staves, though, even a 1-use Mend Staff is enough to count as a 2-star item, which gives you a shot at a the 500 SP book.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

How does Goldmary stack up?

Goldmary has a very high defence stat, the highest of any character at equal levels and in the same class. She also gets +20 evade against male opponents. So she can do well at pretty much any type of tanking role you might want. The rest of her stats are pretty unremarkable (outside of the predictable low magic). She also starts two levels away from Brave Assist.

1 hour ago, Reinford said:

Hey guys. I have a question regarding the well - how do I efficiently use it to get SP Books? I'm donating items but I'm starting to run out of them. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I often just toss in a random low-value item, even a 1-use vulnerary or torch has that 50% chance to get the basic book, for instance. I dunno that it's a great use of your money to put in more valuable things; in particular I can't ever see myself throwing in 5k at once, which is what's needed for 3-star. Your milage may vary.

Tier 2 is best for profit (using well logic) and tier 3 is best for SP generation while still gaining more gold value than is put into the well on average. Tier 4 and above are only useful if you have a surplus.

edit: Someone did the math on this; I'm just reiterating the main takeaways, but I don't really want to look at the moment. It shouldn't be hard to find though.

Edited by samthedigital

1 hour ago, samthedigital said:

Tier 2 is best for profit (using well logic) and tier 3 is best for SP generation while still gaining more gold value than is put into the well on average. Tier 4 and above are only useful if you have a surplus.

edit: Someone did the math on this; I'm just reiterating the main takeaways, but I don't really want to look at the moment. It shouldn't be hard to find though.

I think this is the thread? https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/380177-fire-emblem-engage/80377290

Tier 1 = free / average gold & SP = 780 & 100
Tier 2 = 1,000G / average gold & SP = 2100 & 225
Tier 3 = 5,000G / average gold & SP = 5320 & 450
Tier 4 = 10,000G / average gold & SP = 8060 & 775
Tier 5 = 20,000G / average gold & SP = 13900 & 1100

Interesting. I hesitate to call what's going on at tier 3 "profit" but it's true that if you're willing to make an upfront 5000G investment (not a small thing in this game), it will probably mostly pay for itself long term... at least in terms of future well use (since many of the items you'll get that make up that value aren't good for much else, and selling them yields less value). That said you might also get unlucky and lose big.

4 hours ago, Reinford said:

Personally, I only go up to 2 star. 

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Goldmary has a very high defence stat, the highest of any character at equal levels and in the same class. She also gets +20 evade against male opponents. So she can do well at pretty much any type of tanking role you might want. The rest of her stats are pretty unremarkable (outside of the predictable low magic). She also starts two levels away from Brave Assist.

This has Maddening in mind, right?

Anyway... engaging with Tiki will make the character vulnerable to anti-dragon weapons, will it not? 

EDIT: Who do the Emblems have battle convos with aside from Alear? All I know is Lyn with Ivy and Hortensia, which is dangerous for the latter two for obvious reasons. 

Edited by Shadow Mir

28 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

This has Maddening in mind, right?

EDIT: Who do the Emblems have battle convos with aside from Alear? All I know is Lyn with Ivy and Hortensia, which is dangerous for the latter two for obvious reasons.

Yes, for all that I'd imagine those statements are pretty difficulty-agnostic.

It's pretty easy to get those conversations. The general strategy for bosses is to lure them in and then beat them into the ground, in Lyn's case whatever weapon she has out it'll be easy for Ivy and Hortensia to at worst just hit her with a Thunder tome safely as part of that. And surprisingly, Ivy has no problem surviving Astra Storm, even on Maddening. (Hortensia... may need some help.)

Otherwise I think most characters who have previously canonically wielded an emblem have a conversation with them. Ivy/Leif and Timerra/Ike for two I remember seeing, but I'd bet on Celine/Celica, Yunaka/Micaiah, Diamant/Roy, Hortensia/Lucina, Hortensia/Byleth, Seadall/Corrin, and Rosado/Eirika. A quick google search suggests some videos which may list all such conversations but I'm too lazy to watch one to post a complete list.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The end of this video has Emblem conversations, but also has conversations from the entire game (and Tiki Paralogue) so... SPOILERS:

But as a rule of thumb, @Dark Holy Elf is right: if someone has a canonical link to an Emblem, they'll have a conversation with them (including Alcryst + Roy, Fogado + Ike, etc.) Alfred also talks to Lucina and Vander talks to Sigurd.

As for the DLC, all the Emblems only talk to Alear and their corresponding Ring I believe, with the exception of

Spoiler

Veronica who has unique dialogue for Anna

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Interesting. I hesitate to call what's going on at tier 3 "profit" but it's true that if you're willing to make an upfront 5000G investment (not a small thing in this game), it will probably mostly pay for itself long term... at least in terms of future well use (since many of the items you'll get that make up that value aren't good for much else, and selling them yields less value). That said you might also get unlucky and lose big.

You could also get lucky and win big; it's really just playing the averages game and starting tier 3 when we can afford to lose a few times. I'd say that it's worth doing once we hit the Brodia arc and the game hands us a lot of item doubles that we don't need; the reward jump is pretty substantial with Freeze, Killer weapons, and Rewarp being tier 3 rewards. Master Seals can be nice to hit really early on too.

So, I want to start by saying, yes, I know, only I can make that decision, BUT…I am dad, I am working and finishing up a masters degree so just don’t have a ton of time to game. So, I am still on my very first play through. The Xenologues dropped and I have started them, but they seem like such a slog. I am wondering if I should just finish the story and do the Xenologues on a second playthrough or if I should endure and get the new characters?

I don’t remember what chapter I am on, but I just did the battle on the ships outside of Solm where you get the new mage.

1 hour ago, jameslove001 said:

So, I want to start by saying, yes, I know, only I can make that decision, BUT…I am dad, I am working and finishing up a masters degree so just don’t have a ton of time to game. So, I am still on my very first play through. The Xenologues dropped and I have started them, but they seem like such a slog. I am wondering if I should just finish the story and do the Xenologues on a second playthrough or if I should endure and get the new characters?

I don’t remember what chapter I am on, but I just did the battle on the ships outside of Solm where you get the new mage.

You can play the Xenologue on a different difficulty to the rest of the game, so you could play it on Normal if you just want to finish it ASAP. Where you are in the main story is probably the earliest point you can do the Xenologue and get the most out of it, but if you really can't figure it out you can always finish Fell Xenologue after you've finished the main plot, since unlike Three Houses Engage has a post-game.

Has anyone figured out the best time to do the Fell Xenologue?

EDIT: How much does ring polishing increase bond level?

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Has anyone figured out the best time to do the Fell Xenologue?

I don’t know if any are considered best but:

Chapter 6 is the earliest and if completed gives you units to carry the game.

Chapter 10 as you still have your base 6 rings to work with.

Chapter 12 if you wanna take it at its hardest.

Chapter 18 is where the new characters have the most neutral effect on your team.

Edited by ciphertul

1 hour ago, ciphertul said:

I don’t know if any are considered best but:

Chapter 6 is the earliest and if completed gives you units to carry the game.

Chapter 10 as you still have your base 6 rings to work with.

Chapter 12 if you wanna take it at its hardest.

Chapter 18 is where the new characters have the most neutral effect on your team.

This is... far more elaborate than I would have ever expected for an answer, thank you very much! I'd also add that if you get everyone around Ch 17~18 you can still make the most of the new boss conversations.

Speaking of conversations, do the Divine Paralogues change at all if you do them after Fell Xenologue?

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

This is... far more elaborate than I would have ever expected for an answer, thank you very much! I'd also add that if you get everyone around Ch 17~18 you can still make the most of the new boss conversations.

Speaking of conversations, do the Divine Paralogues change at all if you do them after Fell Xenologue?

I do not know for sure but supposedly Zelestia had a voice line vs Tiki.

1 hour ago, ciphertul said:

I do not know for sure but supposedly Zelestia had a voice line vs Tiki.

Oh interesting! So there's nothing for the actual cutscenes before and after? Vague spoilers for Fell Xenologue:

Spoiler

I would have expected at least Tiki to acknowledge at least Nel she's in the party.

Edited by DefyingFates

Regarding Roy's +5 Level skill, what exactly does it do? I can't tell what it's supposed to do performance-wise or stat-wise. I mean, does it raise stats like strength and speed, but just doesn't show it?

Does the game record or save the amount of relay trials that you failed, whether they be ones you start or ones you join mid-way? (Eg: if you started a relay trial, and someone purposely sabotaged it when they join mid-way, would it record the record of that loss somehow, even though it wasn't your fault?)

Similarly, does the game save online battle win/loss records for non-custom battles?

On 4/12/2023 at 12:14 AM, Shadow Mir said:

From what I've seen and experienced, it raises the bond level by around 1/10th to 1/8th of the bond meter, though I haven't ever seen it bring the bond level to the next level (eg: repeatedly ring polishing at a level 1 bond will only make the bond level go to 1.99 max, and you have to undergo a battle with the emblem ring equipped to push it to the next level. Either that, or you have to be really lucky and have the character face that particular emblem character randomly in the area, but that's highly luck based).

From what I've experienced as well, the ring polishing raises up the bond level by the same amount, regardless of whether it's a level 1 bond or a level 19 bond, so you don't have to worry about ring polishing being less effective the higher your bond level is.

Inaccurate Information. See 6 posts down for more thoroughly tested information

Edited by Randoman
Inaccurate Information

46 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Regarding Roy's +5 Level skill, what exactly does it do? I can't tell what it's supposed to do performance-wise or stat-wise. I mean, does it raise stats like strength and speed, but just doesn't show it?

It basically gives you 5 levels worth of stats.

is there really no support library to this game?  i've tried making a new file but it appears the supports aren't persistent across files, and you can only access them through a single file's somniel...  just wondering if it's actually worth discovering all the ring supports so i may view them later or just go with my favorite unit

I  Does anyone know of a link/site that shows all of the available treasure and item drops in each chapter? (like what's in each treasure chest in each chapter, or how there's a Steel Axe drop in chapter 7, a Wind Tome drop in chapter 8, etc.)

4 hours ago, samthedigital said:

It basically gives you 5 levels worth of stats.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Randoman said:

From what I've seen and experienced, it raises the bond level by around 1/10th to 1/8th of the bond meter, though I haven't ever seen it bring the bond level to the next level (eg: repeatedly ring polishing at a level 1 bond will only make the bond level go to 1.99 max, and you have to undergo a battle with the emblem ring equipped to push it to the next level. Either that, or you have to be really lucky and have the character face that particular emblem character randomly in the area, but that's highly luck based).

From what I've experienced as well, the ring polishing raises up the bond level by the same amount, regardless of whether it's a level 1 bond or a level 19 bond, so you don't have to worry about ring polishing being less effective the higher your bond level is.

So it's fixed, and how dirty the ring was beforehand doesn't matter, does it?

4 hours ago, Randoman said:

Does anyone know of a link/site that shows all of the available treasure and item drops in each chapter? (like what's in each treasure chest in each chapter, or how there's a Steel Axe drop in chapter 7, a Wind Tome drop in chapter 8, etc.)

There's the Triangle Attack website. Also, the wiki has been gradually getting filled in.

I know it's a bad idea to promote an untrained unit into a Mage Cannoneer since they won't have the bulk to land any hits, so what would you say is a good statline (roughly speaking) to make the switch? Thanks in advance!

I thought I could level up my Lv 5 Mage Clanne, but I'm currently working on a Wyvern Knight Lapis who's only got 25 Str at the moment, so... yeah: I wondered if she might not be a more fitting choice since she also has her Personal skill (at the cost of wasting her good Spd growth, which is why I was hesitant to change her before).

Again: thanks in advance all!

10 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

So it's fixed, and how dirty the ring was beforehand doesn't matter, does it?

Sorry, scratch what I said yesterday. From what I checked last night and today, there's some scaling involved, depending on how full the bond level meter is (though it doesn't appear to be affected by the bond level itself, whether it be level 1 or level 9 from what I've tested). This was the result of two of my tests (since no numerical values are given for the bond meter, I had to eyeball it and estimate the meter percents):

Jean: Level 5 Bond with Celica
Ring Cleaning brought the Bond Meter from 0% to 30%

Alear: Level 2 Bond with Sigurd
Ring Cleaning brought the Bond Meter from 80% to 88%

Regarding ring dirtiness, the bond level boost does not increase with a dirty ring. I've cleaned really dirty rings, and it's still raises around 8% to 30% of the meter (which is the same meter amount as a mostly clean ring).

3 hours ago, Randoman said:

Sorry, scratch what I said yesterday. From what I checked last night and today, there's some scaling involved, depending on how full the bond level meter is (though it doesn't appear to be affected by the bond level itself, whether it be level 1 or level 9 from what I've tested). This was the result of two of my tests (since no numerical values are given for the bond meter, I had to eyeball it and estimate the meter percents):

Jean: Level 5 Bond with Celica
Ring Cleaning brought the Bond Meter from 0% to 30h

Alear: Level 2 Bond with Sigurd
Ring Cleaning brought the Bond Meter from 80% to 88%

Regarding ring dirtiness, the bond level boost does not increase with a dirty ring. I've cleaned really dirty rings, and it's still raises around 8% to 30% of the meter (which is the same meter amount as a mostly clean ring).

Huh. Now then, exactly where is the hidden item in Sigurd's paralogue? I get the feeling it's on the beach far east of his castle, but thus far I've got nothing.

3 hours ago, Randoman said:

there's some scaling involved, depending on how full the bond level meter is

That... is fascinating. What a weird decision on their part. I know polishing a ring can never get it to the next level (you'll need to use the Arena to get the last 10% done), could that possibly be why your second test had that result? I'll see if I have a ring that's ~50% through to the next level and if polishing that fits this trend.