Rate the Unit, Day 20: Treck

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Dorothy: 3.17

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Lot: 5.40

Sue: 5.64

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Chad: 6.42

Saul: 7.18

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Rutger: 9.61

as i said in the other thread: i assumed that even those of you who looked like you were penalizing zealot for his sacae performance didn't factor that into their scores

if i'm wrong and you did, please step forward and tell me

this whole "trusting you" bullshit only works if you both read the rules and admit when you err

Edited by Integrity

Whenever I'm needing some additional Paladins later on; I'd really count on the Ilian duo too.

So, let's talk about Treck...

Performance-wise; he's kinda average to okay. Although growths-wise; I'm kinda worried about it; and in terms of durability; he's good on the physical side; can take hits... But... He has a glaring weakness to magic; so keep him away from those mages unless he scores a lucky dodge.

Supports-wise; he can have supports with Gonzales; but likely he'll want Noah and Zealot to help out in that avoid of his.

Since he's kinda amusing in his supports (lol sleeping) and usually ends up good in most of my casual runs.

I'd be more generous to give him...

6.0, but since I like him... I shall use the power of BIAS to give Treck a....

*drumrolls*

Edited by Frostbite

He's... pretty average, maybe a little above it, but that's alright for a Paladin candidate. Pretty solid stats overall and with only one egregious weakness in his rock-bottom RES. The horse helps, being a Cavalier helps, but he's not Alance. He can do a pesudo-Alance with Noah, however, if you're into that. It's not going to be as good though.

If no other growth Paladin has worked out for you, he's worth a shot. Otherwise he gets easily overlooked. Hell, there've been times I wanted to use him and ended up not just because there weren't enough slots and I forgot he existed.

6/10

He's pretty bulky, but his other stats are pretty average. He's a lot like Noah in a way, only with no sword rank and more defense. Still, he's reasonble, although he does have a tendency to kill himself as an NPC in HM.

5/10 - Again, there are other choices, but it's not the end of the world if you use him. Is he stoned or something?

Eesh level 4. His bases are alright for his level, though, and 4 isn't /that/ bad for C7 though it's hardly optimal and certainly undesirable if you're going fast. He has comparatively good defenses, but nothing else really going for him save that horse. Considering that one of Alance wants the earliest crest possible or Noah if you want a quick second zealot or something and the second crest doesn't come until C13 earliest and that's the harder recruitment of a shittier Percival so you're likely getting it at 15, he won't promote for a long time. Even if you somehow do give that first crest to him, he'll have to actually get to a mininum of level 10 first. So he's nothing really spectacular. Can become alright with training, and at least he has a horse and can ferrybot Roy or something so he's not all that terrible.

5/10

Who's Treck? I don't remem-

*someone whispers in the background*

OH! You mean "Train Wreck!?!"

Treck just comes at a really inconvenient time with inconvenient bases and inconvenient weapon ranks (E Swords / D Lances with Western Isles on the way? What the flying fuck?). It would take a goddamn miracle to get him anywhere to the point where he's comparable to Alan, and then one wonders why not just use Alan if you're using Treck. The only pros that seem to go for him is he's on a horse and he has a funny conversation with Gonzales...

Treck: Ahhh...

Gonzales: Uh?

Treck: It's so peaceful here... You know, we could make quite a team, don't you think? Um...

Gonzales: I Gonzales.

Treck: Gonzales? That's a nice name... Oh yeah, my name is...

Gonzales: You Reck.

Treck: Hm? Was it? ...Now that you say so, I think you're right. Well, no matter. Let's go.

Gonzales: Yeah.

See, even Gonzales knows how much of a wreck he is.

4/10.

This.

Was epic.

My vote.

Edited by The Joker

Who's Treck? I don't remem-

*someone whispers in the background*

OH! You mean "Train Wreck!?!"

Treck just comes at a really inconvenient time with inconvenient bases and inconvenient weapon ranks (E Swords / D Lances with Western Isles on the way? What the flying fuck?). It would take a goddamn miracle to get him anywhere to the point where he's comparable to Alan, and then one wonders why not just use Alan if you're using Treck. The only pros that seem to go for him is he's on a horse and he has a funny conversation with Gonzales...

Treck: Ahhh...

Gonzales: Uh?

Treck: It's so peaceful here... You know, we could make quite a team, don't you think? Um...

Gonzales: I Gonzales.

Treck: Gonzales? That's a nice name... Oh yeah, my name is...

Gonzales: You Reck.

Treck: Hm? Was it? ...Now that you say so, I think you're right. Well, no matter. Let's go.

Gonzales: Yeah.

See, even Gonzales knows how much of a wreck he is.

4/10.

He's very much middle-of-the-road; I suppose he can get some okay defense on him, but for the most part he's a form of "balanced" that makes him average. There's really not any reason to use Treck considering that Alance already exist, but you can use him instead of either of them (or create a whole new Noreck duo I guess) if you prefer him; he's not necessarily bad, he just has a very average stat spread aside from slightly STR/DEF. His starting weapon ranks do not help him.

5/10 + .5 bias = 5.5/10

I've never tried using him to be honest. But based on what I can see from his bases and growths, I'm gonna take an educated crack at my vote for him.

All I have to say is: Meh. Nothing really stands out beside luck. He won't be gaining enough speed to double anything reliably, and he won't be getting enough strength to do great amounts of damage.

I'd say he's the second-worse Cavalier, behind Noah.

50%.

Edit: And those godforsaken weapon ranks. Really, IS. Poor Treck. -5%. Not to mention that he will more than likely die unless you bumrush up to his location and save his sorry suicidal ass. -5%.

40%.

Edited by Raven

treck treck treck treck treck

<3

6/10

(with a bias point btw)

but really who's idea was it to give him E/D ranks? especially when Noah shows up right next to him with C/D. They should have given him D/D so he could at least use Steel Swords and Iron Blades. Treck's kind of like the Lowen of FE6, with meh offenses but good defenses. Except that he also joins late.

He's also the only cavalier with good OA. All the others look like 5 y/os.

Lowen lite. Except late join time...and not as tanky .

But horse.

4, because everyone likes ponies to some degree.

4/10

There isn't much to say about Treck. His bases aren't too bad relative to his level, but his weapon ranks and joining situation are pretty sad. It doesn't help that Treck's defense, his most hyped trait, isn't much better than the other cavaliers until really late.

I'm sorry, why should we not mention Zealot's Sacae performance? He's much worse there that he is in Ilia, and it's not like he is Sue or Thany or whoever who are deliberately lower levelled.

Anyway,

Treck has some issues. Noah is saved by an early promotion, but treck has no such luxury. He offence is kinda lame and his defence takes far, far, too long to build up.

3.5/10

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist in sacae" ANYWHERE in your rating for Juno I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

It's been there since the first FE6 RtU, Horace.

For my part I thought the rule was to not punish Juno, Dayan, Bartre and Echidna for being absent on certain routes, which makes sense. But not allowing consideration for how much worse folks are in Sacae is basically like ignoring the existence of Sacae, which greatly limits the usefulness of these ratings. It's worth noting that Gonzo can't hit Sacaean nomads and Marcus and Zealot get doubled to death like chumps, because they do exist there and that's what happens.

I feel like we're missing the "spirit of the law" here. :/

ANYWAY, no matter route you take, Treck is pretty bad. Poor stats, limited weapon selection for a long time, and in competition for promotion items against a slew of people who make a better argument for it. Chapter 7 is way to late to justify feeding kills to people.

Also, seriously, I was going to post Treck's and Gonzales' support conversations but someone beat me to it.

For my part I thought the rule was to not punish Juno, Dayan, Bartre and Echidna for being absent on certain routes, which makes sense. But not allowing consideration for how much worse folks are in Sacae is basically like ignoring the existence of Sacae, which greatly limits the usefulness of these ratings. It's worth noting that Gonzo can't hit Sacaean nomads and Marcus and Zealot get doubled to death like chumps, because they do exist there and that's what happens.

Hm. That's actually pretty sound reasoning.

The intent of the rule was exactly as you stated, and I decided to simply generalize it as I have. I ...may reconsider this.

I have yet to go to Sacae since I always use Thany and Tate, and I barely use Sue. I always use Shin, but his EXP doesn't match up to the sisters'.

Anyway, Treck is alright. He's clearly outranked by Alan and Lance up to this point, but he could be a rescue bot for chapter 8.

5/10.

I have gone to Sacae. It isn't pleasant. But Duff's right, it's part of the game, so a fair discussion of characters should discuss how well they do in both Ilia and Sacae. Although really it ends up more "if the unit doesn't suck ass in Sacae, props" than anything.

I still like Sacae better than Ilia

I agree that units should be rated on performance on both routes unless they're route-exclusive, in which case Juno's not existing in Sacae, for example, should not be counted against her.

Edited by Luminescent Blade