Is the gap between Magic and Pysical stats so wide in all games

Jotari

So a question. In pretty much every Fire Emblem game I've played characters will always level up in either strength or magic never both. I can think of no characters off the top of my head who have good strength and magic stats (without having hugely superior stats across the board). The developers seem to have realized this too when it came to making the Gameboy Advance games but instead of making some characters who could be mildly good at both they decided to make strength and magic pretty much the same stat. I feel like it waste some of the potential of what could be diverse classes and weapons. Like Mage Knigths. Monted Magic and swords wielders sounds great when you first see it but for the most part their swords are useless unless your using a magic sword which in turn is useless for most standard sword users. The Levian Sword just seemed useless in Shadow Dragon without reclassing someone specially to use it. Is this a big a problem as I think it is and does anybody else think it's something that maybe should be addressed. I'm not asking all units to be capable in both I'd just like to see maybe some units able to use both magic and physical attacks. Like a mercenary who actually can effectively use a magic sword.

Levin/Claude/Azel!Fee.

Go at it.

You can also probably get away with magicfather!Swordtwins. Never tried this one, though, so dunno how it is in practice.

Eyrios from has slightly more str than mag, but not that much of a difference, so he can both wield swords and tomes effectively since he's decent in both. Olwen's more mag-oriented, but gets a prf sword lategame that has high mt and a lot of uses if you choose to do that.

honestly, it's not a big deal. They nerfed the fuck out of javelins and handaxes in 12 anyway so that Levin Swords aren't that much worse. Everybody has shitty 1-2 range except magi, horray.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Female Mage My Unit doesn't have that big a gap between Magic/Strength.

Haven't played 12 but can the female mage my unit use any sort of physical weapon? I thought it would just be a standard mage -> sage.

12 is also reclass.

I usually do Myrm->Cav/Peg->Paladin/DK/SM rotation depending on chapter for my MU, and she gets around 9 mag (I give her the +10%/+1base Mag/Str boost option) or so which is pretty okay for Levin Swords if you need a quick chip or so considering most non-magi enemies don't have that much res either. Javelins are better and if you manage to get D rank axes, Handaxes as well, but say you want her going SM for a certain chapter Levin swords aren't a terrible 1-2 range option if you somehow need one.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

FE10!Elincia?

I did think about Elincia when making this but she only has 30% strength growth (not bad but still her second lowest and out balanced when compared to her 80% magic growth). Still though she does get an awesome sword for physical attacking so I guess it's not all that bad.

Actually scratch that I was looking at her FE9 stats, Yeah she has a 65% 40% which is pretty balanced.

Edited by Jotari

Levin/Claude/Azel!Fee.

Go at it.

Levin!Fee has awesome strength but Azel/Claude!Fee averages out at 14/15 (IIRC and respectively) strength with both parents level 30. And they don't even give super skillsets.

You can also probably get away with magicfather!Swordtwins. Never tried this one, though, so dunno how it is in practice.

Skasety is the best. Slap him a magic sword (or all 4 if you're me) and you're set! Never tried Azel or Claude though.

The rarity of magical weapons and the few classes that can use both magical and physical weapons is really limited and usually the only purpose for it is so that a few classes have a niche role makes the specialization in either STR or MAG pretty reasonable. The only way that having more units with more balanced "main attack stat" and "basically unused attack stat" would be to include a large majority of magical weapons and provide promotions for magic units so some of them could access physical weapons as well. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a FE game where there were a good number of magical weapons and branching promotions but it seems like either a lot of work as a hack and just about unlikely as all the FE games coming out on the Wii Channel fully translated and less than 10$ each. So for once IS probably made a good decision, there really isn't a lot of good reasons to include balanced STR to MAG units since 90% of the time neither mean much to the opposing classes.

The rarity of magical weapons and the few classes that can use both magical and physical weapons is really limited and usually the only purpose for it is so that a few classes have a niche role makes the specialization in either STR or MAG pretty reasonable. The only way that having more units with more balanced "main attack stat" and "basically unused attack stat" would be to include a large majority of magical weapons and provide promotions for magic units so some of them could access physical weapons as well. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a FE game where there were a good number of magical weapons and branching promotions but it seems like either a lot of work as a hack and just about unlikely as all the FE games coming out on the Wii Channel fully translated and less than 10$ each. So for once IS probably made a good decision, there really isn't a lot of good reasons to include balanced STR to MAG units since 90% of the time neither mean much to the opposing classes.

From what we've of FE13, though, there will be quite a few classes that use Magic and Strength for offense e.g. Dark Pegasus, Dark Knight, Battle Cleric, etc.

Well, FE9 did have a fair bit of magical weapons; sadly. there were a VERY limited humber of units that could use them well (the Bolt Axe in particular was especially guilty of this). And RD did have the Imbue skill, which suffered from the same issue that PoR's magical weapons did.

And RD did have the Imbue skill, which suffered from the same issue that PoR's magical weapons did.

Except it didn't and was ridiculous, especially at Tier 3 with the +4 Mag promotion gain.

Except it didn't and was ridiculous, especially at Tier 3 with the +4 Mag promotion gain.

I still think it's close to being (if not de facto) awesome but impractical, but whatever. And not being that great until third tier is what makes it as such in my book. Also, would you expect to luck out enough to make Imbue worth using...? Personally, I wouldn't, with or without BEXP.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Levin!Fee has awesome strength but Azel/Claude!Fee averages out at 14/15 (IIRC and respectively) strength with both parents level 30. And they don't even give super skillsets.

Hero Lance + Str Ring + Thunder Sword what more do you need

I still think it's close to being (if not de facto) awesome but impractical, but whatever. And not being that great until third tier is what makes it as such in my book. Also, would you expect to luck out enough to make Imbue worth using...? Personally, I wouldn't, with or without BEXP.

Imbue almost always healed more HP than Renewal.

I still think it's close to being (if not de facto) awesome but impractical, but whatever. And not being that great until third tier is what makes it as such in my book. And would you expect to luck out enough to make Imbue worth using...? Personally, I wouldn't...

To pick a random, typical enough character, Kieran averages 11 Mag at 20/1. That's a lot of HP to recover every turn, passively.

Characters spend enough time at Tier 3. It's not like it costs anything to just wait to use it until it's effective.

To pick a random, typical enough character, Kieran averages 11 Mag at 20/1. That's a lot of HP to recover every turn, passively.

Characters spend enough time at Tier 3. It's not like it costs anything to just wait to use it until it's effective.

Well, either way, you can't blame me for calling it like it is (or at the least, how I see it), however blunt I may sound. And I can't believe I forgot those magic cards (though that might have to do with them essentially being gems in disguise)... Also, I find healing slightly more than a healing item that's practically obsolete lategame to be kinda unimpressive, but that's just me.

Edited by Metal King Slime

I just remembered that Naesala can use a magic wind attack in Path of Radiance. Is that useful? I haven't played PoR so I don't first hand. I heard it was bad but looking at his stats it seems like it could be quite useful.