Least Favorite Unit (Chrom, Lissa, etc) In Terms Of Personality.

noiku

I agree with you there. I'm an avid writer at heart, so when I don't see three-dimensional characters, I get really turned off to the writing. That said, some of the characters are more fleshed out than others.

Sorry to say, but for least favorite unit, Cordelia gets the short end of the stick for me. Her absolute relentless lusting after Chrom and ploys to get his attention doesn't settle right with me in so many ways. He is clearly not interested in her, and yet she still chases after him as if he is not independent and even foolish for not falling for her. Like, she cannot take no for an answer, though it's not stated whether or not Chrom has actually told her to back off. (His actions should be a pretty clear indication though, because body language isn't that hard to read.) Not to mention, the fact that her entire character is centered around Chrom makes her have no actual personality of her own, the only time she displays any sort of personality outside of her crush is in any S support conversation, and even then it's hard to see, when one rank ago she was sighing and brooding cause Chrom doesn't love her.

Sorry Cordelia. You're a great unit, but your personality is garbage to be honest. <3

//that turned out to be lengthy im a very bitter person when it comes to one-dimensional characters LOL

Your entire analysis is based on the assumption that Chrom knows whats going on. That is not the case. Cordelia never confessed her love for him directly, and he is too romantically dim-witted to grasp the situation and she doesn't know how to handle it until it's resolved in the supports in each of her marriages.

The whole situation is a bit awkward and the result of people not communicating properly.

I'm not disagreeing with your point that most of the cast can be perceived as one-dimensional on the first glance. One has to dig through support conversations to find a semblance of depth to their characters.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah son I gotcha there - I was wrong to assume Chrom knew what was going on. Dim-witted or not, he's not in any state of mind to be looking into trivial matters such as who is crushing on him and who's not. Either way, my point stands that Cordelia is very centered around Chrom, and any shift that occurs in that state for her happens very late and very suddenly. (Also, aside from the point, but the devs really should have changed her support conversations after she was married, cause right now it's just plain awkward LOL.)

And yeah - for players who aren't really paying attention to support conversations, the characters are very one dimensional, which I can forgive since the main focus of the game is the story and the gameplay, not so much so the characters that drive it. However, it pleases me that pretty much every character can and does show some depth and development throughout the conversations and the story, even if you really have the analyze it to see it. :P

I just read the Cynthia and Nah B support.

I think Cynthia is my new #1 in the setting of this thread. There is no way anything she says in their A support will correct this.

Edit: Managed to unlock A support. That one is one of the worst I've ever read in this game, for different reasons than the B support. Original opinion I posted above didn't change. It's just horrendous.

Edited by Knusperkeks

I agree with you there. I'm an avid writer at heart, so when I don't see three-dimensional characters, I get really turned off to the writing. That said, some of the characters are more fleshed out than others.

Sorry to say, but for least favorite unit, Cordelia gets the short end of the stick for me. Her absolute relentless lusting after Chrom and ploys to get his attention doesn't settle right with me in so many ways. He is clearly not interested in her, and yet she still chases after him as if he is not independent and even foolish for not falling for her. Like, she cannot take no for an answer, though it's not stated whether or not Chrom has actually told her to back off. (His actions should be a pretty clear indication though, because body language isn't that hard to read.) Not to mention, the fact that her entire character is centered around Chrom makes her have no actual personality of her own, the only time she displays any sort of personality outside of her crush is in any S support conversation, and even then it's hard to see, when one rank ago she was sighing and brooding cause Chrom doesn't love her.

Sorry Cordelia. You're a great unit, but your personality is garbage to be honest. <3

//that turned out to be lengthy im a very bitter person when it comes to one-dimensional characters LOL

At least she isn't as bad as Sumia. Just kidding, I'm not going to start this debate, even though I think Sumia has an even worse personality.

I despise Tharja. I have still yet to have her play a major role in any one of my playthroughs. I'm not a fan of Sumia either, and Excellus is just...shivers

I'm also not too fond of Kellam, and Ricken doesn't float my boat either.

At least she isn't as bad as Sumia. Just kidding, I'm not going to start this debate, even though I think Sumia has an even worse personality.

Haha no it's fine dude. :) It's all a matter of preference so there's no need for debate in the first place~ I personally like all the characters, just some more or less than others, ya feel?

Edit: Managed to unlock A support. That one is one of the worst I've ever read in this game, for different reasons than the B support. Original opinion I posted above didn't change. It's just horrendous.

Oh god I just read the support convos between the two. I have no words that was just absolutely horrible what the heck Cynthia.

I want to like Cynthia, but I just don't like her behaviour. Cynthia is inconsiderate and sometimes almost costs lives. Her heroic actions cause much suffering to the lives of her comrades.

From what I've seen Owain also wants to be a hero, I like him because when he does it does no harm, at least from what I've seen.

The way Nah and Cynthia A support ends leaves me very disappointed. I thought for sure she would apologize like the usual A support, but no, she's still very much stupid and her voice remains annoying.

Owain takes people into consideration unlike Cynthia. Only bringing up Owian because he's basically genderswap Cynthia.

I don't want to open up that Sumia and Cordelia can of worms...so let's just say ASIDE from those two, I think my least favorite characters for female would be Maribelle or Cynthia. Least favorite for male would be Ricken, Owain or Brady. I know Owain's rather popular, but I just...idk, he never really grew on me much.

Well I had to think about it at first but here is who I though of:

1. Fredrick- I think they when too far when the overprotective knight bit
  2. Virion- I hate how he trys to propose to every woman he first meets.
  3. Ricken- terrible class choices
  4. Marribelle- too snobbish
  5. Cherche- same as ricken
  6. Say'ri- They didn't get her enough story or supports
  7. Sererva- I hate your sour outlook on everything-She wins the worst personality award!

PS: I find tharja very funny! As well as Owain! I think Indgio is fuuny as well. They pulled off the womanizer with him-I think its funny because Olivia is so Shy.

Most disliked character in Awakening... let's see. I can actually make a list.

1 Kjelle. I can't stand her "men are sh*t" attitude. She's a perfect example of why I despise (extreme) feminists so much... also, I can't stand her "I'm stronger than ANYONE!!!" attitude either... I can't stand her, let's just leave it at that.

2 Sully. For the same reasons as her daughter. Ugh... they didn't do a good job with these two. There are plenty of strong women (Say'ri, Mia, Lyndis, Marisa, Palla, female Avatar (Awakening) etc. etc.) in Fire Emblem history that don't need to spout "I'm better than any man" or "men are sh*t* anyway", so I see these two as a HUGE setback in terms of women rights... (Hell, now I'm doing it!).

3 Ricken. I hate people who overestimate themselves. Ricken is no exception. I hated him from the moment he appeared on screen being all like "duh, I can do it by myself!". What I did was being all like "prove it" and put him alone on the frontlines. He died in just one fight. ONE. FIGHT. Damn I hate this guy...

Those were the ones I hate. Here are the ones I am neutral about/couldn't care less if they didn't exist at all (in no specific order):

Laurent

Gregor

Inigo

Flavia

Aversa

I'm fine with everyone else, though.

Edited by DragonFlames

I like a lot of characters and am at least neutral about most of them (although a lot of gimmicks were played to the extreme and kinda annoyed me), but I do dislike:

Tharja (hate her creepiness, also a terrible mom)

Cordelia (just STFU about Chrom! Blame yourself for him not being interested in you, since you can't even have a normal conversation with him. Makes me feel bad for pairing another guy with her)

Severa (some of her problems came from Cordelia being Mary-Sue perfect and never getting over Chrom, but her C-support with her dad is quite unpleasant on its own. Also, a poorly-done tsundere)

Frankly, much of Cordelia's "still talking about Chrom" issue is simply attributable to (justified) developer laziness and/or the fact that supports basically never change to account for marital status or other relationships or character development obtained form other supports. Which is really understandable, seeing how many countless permutations there would have to be otherwise. Particularly when the supports could be obtained at any time during the playthrough too. Its a weakness of how Awakening chose to handle supports and merely feels more obvious with Cordelia.

In the vast majority of her S-supports she's over Chrom and in love with her new husband-to-be.

Just like often happens in real life, she had a crush on Chrom, but said crush dissipated as (a.) it went no where and (b.) she got to know another guy, whom she became close too and then fell in love with instead.

She may very well still have fond feelings about Chrom, like a soldier might care for a commander whom they deeply respect, and she'll of course remember that she ONCE had romantic feelings for him, but my general impression is that by the time she's married her former feelings for Chrom have transformed from romantic desire to platonic admiration.

It just comes back to the problem with how character development form other supports or relationships cannot carry over to the other supports, so while any one support arc with a male may capture this transition, things become jumbled and confused when many other supports that are also trying to portray such a character arc are unable to account for the fact that this character development has already happened. Honestly, its a problem for a lot of characters; Cordelia is just one of the better known examples.

Frankly, much of Cordelia's "still talking about Chrom" issue is simply attributable to (justified) developer laziness and/or the fact that supports basically never change to account for marital status or other relationships or character development obtained form other supports. Which is really understandable, seeing how many countless permutations there would have to be otherwise. Particularly when the supports could be obtained at any time during the playthrough too. Its a weakness of how Awakening chose to handle supports and merely feels more obvious with Cordelia.

In the vast majority of her S-supports she's over Chrom and in love with her new husband-to-be.

Just like often happens in real life, she had a crush on Chrom, but said crush dissipated as (a.) it went no where and (b.) she got to know another guy, whom she became close too and then fell in love with instead.

She may very well still have fond feelings about Chrom, like a soldier might care for a commander whom they deeply respect, and she'll of course remember that she ONCE had romantic feelings for him, but my general impression is that by the time she's married her former feelings for Chrom have transformed from romantic desire to platonic admiration.

It just comes back to the problem with how character development form other supports or relationships cannot carry over to the other supports, so while any one support arc with a male may capture this transition, things become jumbled and confused when many other supports that are also trying to portray such a character arc are unable to account for the fact that this character development has already happened. Honestly, its a problem for a lot of characters; Cordelia is just one of the better known examples.

I agree with you that this is an issue and that it's more glaringly obvious for Cordelia than for other characters. However, the fact that Severa notices her mom's feelings for Chrom and confronts her about it during her recruitment shows that Cordelia's feelings for Chrom are still fairly obvious even after they both marry, and that bothers me. If it is only platonic between Cordelia and Chrom, I'm pretty sure Severa wouldn't have minded this much. And that's not an issue with supports not keeping up; the writers intended for that to be in there.

Honestly, Cordelia was just plagued by Sue-ness and a way over-the-top gimmick, which is sad since I do really enjoy using her as a unit.

Well:

1. Its not necessarily that Cordelia did carry further romantic feelings for Chrom…. it could be simply that basically everyone else had known that she was in love with Chrom at one point, basically bringing it to the level of an open secret. Severa would most likely have heard the tales at some point and when Cordelia went off to battle and died, leaving Severa alone, Severa might very well have latched onto the idea that she "died for Chrom" regardless of how well founded or not that was. It could even been that Cordelia retained strong platonic feelings and admiration for Chrom and a sort of non-romantic love that a solider might hold for a respected and caring commander.

2. Alternately, its entirely possible that Severa's mother DID retain a romantic affection for Chrom. But the Cordelia who was Severa's mother is not the same Cordelia who is playable in the game; they are alternate versions of each other from parallel worlds. And seeing the the courses that the worlds futures took diverged quite early on in the storyline, it wouldn't be surprising if certain characters developed differently. Perhaps the Cordelia from Severa's world never got over Chrom. But it seems quite probable that this world's Cordelia did. Even consider the Summer Scramble DLC, in one of the cases where conversations actually do change: Cordelia LOSES her conversation with Chrom there entirely if she's married [while she does have one if she's single], while if she's married to the Avatar their conversation there will affirm that all of her romantic love and affections now belong to him, the Avatar.

• 1 month later...

I don't consistently dislike any character except Severa, who's just an unlikable asshole. FeMorgan can be fucked up but most of the time she's absolutely amazing. Nah can be great at times, but then she has her supports with Inigo and Laurent.

Yarne doesn't annoy me as much as he annoys others (except in the last playthrough where fighting alongside Morgan caused him to cower behind HIS OWN SON), though that's because I have this headcanon where Panne had a LOT more children and he literally watched them all die right before his eyes in a risen attack.

Inigo... I have a love-hate relationship with him. I love his in-battle personality and his supports with his parents, I feel intense pity for him when he's around Noire or Nah, I dislike how he acts around the guys... but I also resent that he's clearly the member of the future 13 that all the others don't like, the only one who is actively and repeatedly spoken ill of. Seriously, he doesn't deserve that distinction, Severa does. Severa all the friggin' way. If there's one character of the future 13 who genuinely deserves Inigo's reactions of "Oh. It's you. Wonderful," it's Severa.

Edited by Alastor15243

Yarne.

I get it, buddy. You're on the verge of extinction. Know what else is on the verge of extinction? The amount of craps I give.