Least Favorite Unit (Chrom, Lissa, etc) In Terms Of Personality.

noiku

It's not a support, it's how he enters the game in chapter 1: Harassing a woman during the night in the middle of a forest while the undead apocalypse is going on.

*cracks knuckles*

Virion, like Tharja, is complicated. . .but man does Tharja look GOOD in their S support. . .ahem. From what supports I saw, he's meant to look foppish, but is actually observant as hell (Miriel's support illustrates this nicely), and willing to work towards his goals however necessary (Lissa's support, for one). Why he followed Sully is left vague - it could be because his thought process was "pretty woman", or because he heard her refer to Chrom as "Captain", and he knows full well that he'll need outside support to get his lands back. However, his next few lines are ridiculous, followed by a genuine request. Thanks to the absurdity of the lead-up, she was willing to agree to let him follow her into battle.

Man, Virion is interesting, and he's so damn good that half the time I wonder whether or not he's being an elaborate troll.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of Virion hate here is making me sad.

No shit. I guess they see his class and then bench him. Never ever reading his supports. For Virion is amazing in his supports!

I can see why people would dislike Virion based on his character archetype. Usually I don't like womaniser types either, if that's the bulk of their character. In this case, however, Virion shows surprising amount of depth coming from an FE:A character and is probably the closest thing this game has to an actual character and is honestly pretty interesting, which is why I like him; A character doesn't have to be a saint to be enjoyable, after all, or I wouldn't be a Loki fan.

I wish Rosanne itself is more explored, though, but it's FEA's shitty worldbuilding, what do we gotta do

Arr. Also i reckon the real reason he followed Sully at all, is because she would lead him straight to Chrom. That his flirting was really a guise to not garner too much suspicion in his general direction. "So this guy wants some ass, thats why he joined our crew. Fair enough." Turns out, thats really not the reason hes there. Lissa almost figures it out. We find out he was really there to see if Chrom was worthy of joining with, and because Chrom would already count Virion as an ally. Its clever enough for an FE13 character. Getting some ass was only a bonus.

If I had to pick just one annoying character out of several annoying characters... It would probably be Severa. I mean, what were they thinking with Severa? Emperor's Throne on Terra, I've seen annoying/bratty characters in video games before. But she takes the cake.

She has... very painful Supports. I'm just glad we have a 'Skip' button.

Also, Virion is a pretty cool guy. Surprised at all the Virion vitriol here? Don't most people like the clumsily-suave, womanizer, noble-rogue/"dashing-rogue" archetype? He's got some pretty funny Supports as well.

Edited by Kye

I have no idea why anyone hates Virion, especially if they've bothered to read his supports.

I have no idea why half these characters are on a "hate" list - the more I read, the more interesting they become. The obvious part is the "trope" - but the actual motivations behind their actions are really, REALLY cool.

I have no idea why half these characters are on a "hate" list - the more I read, the more interesting they become. The obvious part is the "trope" - but the actual motivations behind their actions are really, REALLY cool.

For the most part, there's not a whole lot of character-depth in FE:A. BUT, Virion has a surprising amount of depth. In fact, I'd dare say he's one of the few characters that has any real depth at all.

TBH I think Virion is probably one of the better ones in that archetype as far as FE is concerned. I certainly like him more than the other womaniser type characters, Levin aside.

Funny how FE13 characters as a whole tend to lack depth, yet out of an archetype who I'm rather picky about with characterisation, I like both Virion and Inigo better than most of their other FE counterparts.

Like hell, I'd prolly not get along well with Inigo if I met him IRL and didn't know much about him, but it's hard to dislike the lad knowing his motivations behind it, and that he really does mean well.

Edited by Thor Odinson

You know, I think it's really the amount of supports that hurt the Awakening cast so much. While I don't like most of the characters, I can think of at least one set of support for each of them that was interesting or showed something of their character. But if 7 out of 8 support are just repetitive shit, that little bit of good characterisation gets drowned out. There just was too little meta for so much text (especially considering that all opposite sex supports had to lead to a romantic end).

That said Libra is pretty much the only character I kinda like. Panne also has her moments. Otherwise; nope, next game plz.

I feel like given a better-developed character, theoretically you can utilize all support slots and make it work, since you would actually have more material to work with in terms of character to have more varied character relations. Inherently, there is nothing wrong with that; Two members of the same army should be able to interact and something of value should be able to come out of it, given developed-enough characters (whether they will get along is another question; I kinda want to see a conversation, not necessarily support, where two characters never resolve their differences and stay vitriolic to the end because that does happen irl). Having 99% of differing-sex supports end in romance certainly did not help, however. While I don't really have a better solution without changing the gameplay since the marry-everyone thing is, after all, gameplay, and changing that would lock the player out of certain interesting pairings (not that Chrom and Sumia don't do it already, though), I also feel that realistically--whatever it's worth in a FE discussion--not everyone is romantically compatible with everyone, and, ignoring gameplay values for a second and talking pure characterisation, everyone S ranking with everyone was detrimental to characterisation; A lot of S rank supports feel very forced and doesn't really have much chemistry.

Edited by Thor Odinson

In a different game, yeah, I agree. More room for supports should mean that you can define their character better. Awakening, for whatever reason, didn't manage to, though.

I also feel that realistically--whatever it's worth in a FE discussion--not everyone is romantically compatible with everyone, and, ignoring gameplay values for a second and talking pure characterisation, everyone S ranking with everyone was detrimental to characterisation; A lot of S rank supports feel very forced and doesn't really have much chemistry.

God, this so, so much. Either you have to force characters together or you have to make them so generic that they match with everybody.

Yeah the pairing system made the support system weird, because almost all gen 1 males have to be able to marry almost all gen 1 females, but they can't actually show explicit romantic interest until they S support. It's pretty difficult to write that convincingly. The father supports (and mother for Lucina I think) also are generic, presumably because the amount of supports was already a lot. I think it's better just to avoid the whole children thing in FE storywise.

Yeah the pairing system made the support system weird, because almost all gen 1 males have to be able to marry almost all gen 1 females, but they can't actually show explicit romantic interest until they S support. It's pretty difficult to write that convincingly. The father supports (and mother for Lucina I think) also are generic, presumably because the amount of supports was already a lot. I think it's better just to avoid the whole children thing in FE storywise.

The problem with the support system in Awakening was not the addition of children. It was that they half-assed the variety of support dialogue due to speeding up the release of the game. Hence the generic-supports.

Either they need to cut back on the amount of characters in the player's army to pursue quality (which I highly doubt IntSys. will ever consider), or have 2nd generation children replace their parents within the 1st generation roster (FE4 handled children this way; and it was pretty awesome). Regardless, a 2nd generation is an awesome concept. Just one that needs to be utilized without a plot mechanic involving time-travel.

Edited by Kye

I read it! One of my favorite supports, certainly.

Anyway I'm not fond of Vaike. While I don't dislike characters with lower intellect by themselves (see: Gonzo is a fine character), a combination of that and his level of arrogance together does him no favors. If you're gonna be that cocky, have something to back it up with. On top of that, he peeps on Sully. You know, at least Virion asks her outright? Doing worse at respecting women's boundaries than your resident womanizing character is not something to be proud of.

Nah x Inigo made me dislike Nah a lot too. It doesn't feel like Inigo was fully enthusiastic about the union, but she pulls the dragon card and pretty much pushes him into it? For someone who claims to be more mature than Nowi, she sure as fuck doesn't actually act like it. It's kinda funny how my opinion of Nah and Nowi are pretty much reversed: Nah has an alright design and a personality that just doesn't click with me. Nowi's outfit is utterly ridiculous, but her personality once you get into the supports more is actually alright as far as FE:A standards go.

Vaike reminds me of an obnoxious perverted frat boy who brags about how many women he's slept with

Complaints about characters aside....we do know that these guys talk more than the 4 times you get them to Support right?

I can buy them marrying each other at S rank so long as the A support hints at them showing romantic interest in the other.

Of course I don't mind the A support ending with the we're really good friends tone. Especially considering a lot of these characters are little more than awkward teenagers with the fate of the world handing on their shoulders. I honestly expect them to say what they don't really feel or can't explain, at least romantically.

That and if we're judging supports soley based off of cutscenes the only ones that past muster is Fred/Chrom, Sumia/Chrom, Lucina/Chrom, Tiki/Say'ri, Basillio/Flavia, and Lissa/Maribelle

Edited by DukeC

There are ways to write awkward teenagers falling in love. Awakening, on many instances, didn't manage to pull that off well (but there are couples that do work, to its credit). Not every couple has to be based on the ingame cutscenes, but there has to be actual chemistry in the writing. Some supports do manage it in the 4 conversations. Others just don't work, and the fact is that some people really just aren't compatible no matter you make them talk 4 times or a million times.

The point isn't that the C-B-A-S conversation flow is inherently bad, but just the fact that almost everyone in the same generation having an S didn't necessarily do favors to the variety of the interactions the game's characters could have, because it forcibly veers characters who aren't necessarily romantically compatible down that lane anyway when they could be having interactions about something more interesting and add more depth to the character, that didn't end in romance.

I understand it's a thing due to gameplay. Unfortunately, sometimes gameplay and writing clash.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Well, I didn't give Virion a fair chance at all. I read though some of his supports and he is definitely not as boring or annoying as I first thought. Vaike on the other hand, is now my least favorite after seeing the peeping supports.

I liked all of the Awakening cast, but the least would probably be Lucina...especially her supports with MaMU. Like, I understand her angle, but it's basically like: let me tell you all the bad things I went through so you can comfort me. Gerome bores me as well. They're both kinda pretentious in their own ways.

Also, the Vaike is hilarious people! He's dumb as a brick, but still!

Hmm...basically everyone except Say'ri and Yen'fay. Lucina is kinda teetering on the fence of whether I like or dislike her.

But I can't stand Robin

I honestly think he/she should've just stayed dead...or not existing

Gangrel, Ricken, Sumia, Kellam, Lissa, Frederick, and the Morgans (mostly the male).

Kjelle is probably the character I dislike the most in this game. She's so arrogant and full of herself, especially in her conversation with Lucina. Really, you are recruited as a KNIGHT CLASS, and you claim to be better than the "weaklings" in your army? Come on, son. Oops, wait, can't call her "son", know why? She's a sexist idiot to boot. Nobody would even MENTION gender, and she goes all Tumblr on their ass and be like "is it becuz i'm a woman????" like shut up, NO ONE CARES if you're a woman or not! Yikes, she was just irritating.

Tharja for obvious reasons. She could be funny at times, I'll give her that, but a lot of her creepy and abusive behavior ISN'T funny. She's only decent in her conversations with Gregor or Libra if you ask me.

I also don't like Nah. She's just a snobby try-hard know-it-all, and I don't like how a few of her marriages end up with her treating her husband badly. Nah/Inigo, anyone? Nah.

Honorable mention can go to F!Morgan. She's a horrible, spoiled, rotten little sadist and selfish brat who doesn't care for anyone but herself. Torturing Yarne for fun? Ruining Laurent's manuscripts because she was bored? She's just generally unlikable and I would be appalled if I found out I had a daughter as awful as her in the future.

There are ways to write awkward teenagers falling in love. Awakening, on many instances, didn't manage to pull that off well (but there are couples that do work, to its credit).

Curious, which ones do you consider to work well?