Grand Conquest is back!

Magenta Fantasies

I’m so happy to see this mode return! I was truly beginning to worry it had been discontinued.

So far it has been excellent to me. My Rickard, Ascended Elincia and Pirate Tibarn hugely benefited from the last round’s “fliers can warp within two spaces of each other” effects, and this current round creates perfect conditions for my +7 Jakob. With Wings of Mercy 4, he can move almost anywhere on the map and the special cooldown bonus helps him trigger Lethality every other turn. My Karel can trigger Astra every turn and sometimes more than once!

How has it been treating everyone else?

You guys remember when they banned Surtr from Grand Conquest because he was "too OP"?

And how they released even more stupidly OP units after that are even more annoying to defeat than Surtr and they're legal to show up in GC?

So good.

Can't say I've really been enjoying the return, to be honest. Too many ridiculous and objectively overpowered/bad units showing up in this mode to make it anything fun, only a massive pain and a giant chore. I'm sorry, Heroes, but I can't handle two Fomortiis, a Brave Corrin, and a  Legendary Elincia all at once, in addition to the Brave Gullveig, Lucia, and Legendary Alear that were already on the map.

...the sad part is I'm barely exaggerating. I'm not getting all the rewards available this time around, because you actually are unable unless you play on the higher difficulties. Screw this.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

When I was playing the game, it was pretty easy getting all rewards playing on just Lunatic. However, you do need to be on top of your timing and expend Stamina at a consistent rate, but there is enough slack that your timing does not have to be perfect and you can miss some points. And if you are able to complete some rounds on Infernal and/or Infernal+, then there is more slack built in, but that is only if you can finish them with a higher score than Lunatic.

In my experience, maps with Air Orders on flying units is the easiest one to complete since you can quickly overcome terrain obstacles, so those are the maps I prioritize the most. However, other maps with special effects on specific movement types are still pretty easy as long as you tailor the team to spam that movement type.

Unless you are an absolute whale, make sure to keep your Friend List updated, as that will certainly help with unit variety so you can pad out those movement specific teams.

I've had to adjust a few of my teams to add some new units to take care of annoying threats, but things have been going pretty smoothly so far (other than the fact that I forgot things carry over between rounds and ended up wasting some resources at the end of the last round).

The overall strategy still remains pretty much the same. Either have a very sturdy tank that can clear units quickly on enemy phase or have a lot of mobility support to be able to rush a base and take it in a single turn.

I'm incredibly tempted to a make an autobahn team with Def/Res Smoke 3 or Pathfinder on 5 or 6 members of the lead line-up and see how viable that would be as a new strategy to blitz down a base on the first turn. I'm currently looking at starting with Legendary Sigurd, Rearmed Chrom, and regular Yuri and seeing where I can go from there. Maybe also add some Wings of Mercy shenanigans, too.

In the meantime, my current team for the infantry bonus round is amusingly hinging around Sothis as a tank to quickly clear out enemies on enemy phase. I remember when people complained about her remix being weak and now I find it really funny how comically good she is at tanking everything except the most dedicated wall breakers. Yeah, she's running a premium build, but that just reiterates my point back then that all she needed to be good was for some new skills to be released that had better synergy with what she got in her remix.

22 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

can't handle two Fomortiis, a Brave Corrin, and a  Legendary Elincia all at once, in addition to the Brave Gullveig, Lucia, and Legendary Alear that were already on the map.

I didn't know that the same unit can show up multiple times on the same map.