Lists of ROMHacks and Fan Projects

Parrhesia

The ROMhacking community has come a long way in the past few years, with extremely powerful new tools allowing for more numerous and more creative campaigns than ever. If you have had your fill of the vanilla Fire Emblems, if you tire of discussing hypothetical design concepts and wish to see them in practice, or if you just want a high-quality tactical experience made by and for series veterans, you should turn to custom campaigns.

Here is a curated list of complete campaigns. Vision Quest is broadly agreed to be a strong starting point, but depending on your personal preferences, other hacks might especially appeal. The names hyperlink to their project pages, where you can see screenshots and find download links.

But it is just the start. The Fangame Directory is the most exhaustive resource on hacks, both complete and incomplete. Playing incomplete hacks in particular allows you not only to stay ahead of the curve in development, but to help shape the hack as it's being built by providing critical feedback.

Feel free to discuss general playing experiences below, or use the space to bring particular hacks to peoples' attention.

Edited by Parrhesia

Eh, I wouldn't say my little experiments are big enough to be there. In the rebalances section if anything, but if every little rebalance was there the list would be five pages long.

I will say though, isn't New Theory of Thracia 776 over at FEUniverse basically the successor to the Blume patch? Might want to link that rather than / alongside the ancient Blume patch.

Anyway, I really do gotta get around to playing Drums of War one of these days. Imagine being a self-described bossman connoisseur and not having yet played the hack where recruiting bossmen is the main gimmick.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Drums of War gets a +1 from me. Still waiting on the Princess Mononoke-inspired gaiden campaign starring Rover.

This is a great undertaking. I will definitely refer to it when picking out more hacks to play. Some other pertinent links would include discords and web pages (like, say, on Romhacking.net or FEUniverse) to learn more than what the Summary tab provides. As well as any guide-like materials detailing units stats and other pertinent info. I remember when I was playing The Last Promise, the most complete and concise hard data I could find on the game was either listed or linked on Reddit, and who knows how long that kind of source will stay up.

I'd like to mention that as the guy who made the Binary menu patch all those years ago (FEU thread, or the thread here on Serenes if you prefer) that it does have translated menus. It's not fully translated though, which is worth mentioning. Aside from that, that's a pretty good list of hacks.

3 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

I dont see @Saint Rubenio‘s or @Jotari‘s games on that list 🤔

Someone has my back, thanks 😇 Yes, I'd like to request my games be up there if possible. Or, at least Pyrathi 609 which I can confidently say is finished now, aside from a few supports. Fall of Thabes I'm proud of as my first extensive fangame, but it might be better off left to gather dust.

Edited by Jotari

As long as this is really a new topic and I'm not just confused...

Everyone's probably played it already, but The Last Promise ( https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/962/ )is amazing. Way better than anything Intelligent System's produced in the last 15 years. The story is just as serious and silly as it needs to be, it's well-balanced, and the references are fun. The "homemade" voice-acting is the icing on the cake.

Also, there's my complete FE1 hack that's still pretty obscure, Time For Tom ( https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6827/ ) about time-travelling and characters from different FE games interacting. Also, it's the only full hack for FE1 on the NES.