How do you react to things said on the internet?

Masu

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really isn't exactly the same thing. There are mildly hurtful comments made to injure another, but we're talking about someone that gained friendship with another and used that as a means by which to hurt them. You're comparing a rowboat to a battleship; sure, they both float on water, but that's not the point that was being made.

Oh, I agree, and, in essence, that is definitely affecting when said negative action is fulfilled, but that seriously is dependant on the medium in itself. Speaking outside of generalities, if I were to be communicating with someone thousands of kilometers away, and they were to abuse the friendly justation of a bond I have formed with them, I take comfort in the fact that it would be more affecting if it were to be someone relatively closer or intimate. In fact, applying your metaphorical image of floating objects, generally those closer to home would classify as battleships, no? Take it as a vector, magnitude and direction.

Whether you are affected by others over the internet or not is entirely irrelevant; there are many individuals that are powerfully affected by others; we're all here in some form to communicate or discuss, that's the primary purpose of most forums. If you communicate with others for a long enough period, you're going to create some sort of attachment. Having someone that you've vested trust in spit in your face and forsake your friendship can be just as powerful an effect as relationships being injured in real life, whether you've met them or not.

I phrase dissent here; magnitude of such an event would greatly vary if you were speaking to someone (using Mr. Enduro as an example) who had never given any information away about themselves and kept a relationship anonymous, as opposed to an odd Sitcom-esque tragedy of childhood friends marringly separating.

In short, yes, you have the potential to harm others over the internet, the subjects are not soulless, yet how much so is a factor to be explored, but nonetheless, with:

Oh, I agree. But being unknown lines of texts on a computer screen can be overall more comforting and much easier to walk away from.

I think we agree, in a sense.

Also, as it was too great a temptation:

Ugh, I can't believe he brought up spikeedge (I wanted to forget about Mike all-together -__-wink.gif Though it is a valid point which fortifies his argument. There are some things that are "serious", but most of the other stuff on the internet is the opposite. I mean, it's pretty obvious when something is serious as well.

It's fucking subjective, are you too stupid to see that? Moreover, you claim to be one who recognizes when a situation becomes too serious on the grounds it is obvious, yet simply turn your head the other way and leave the situation to others (who, you have proved time and again, are easily more mature). Carry on, Rei, just forget.

Similar to how I would IRL. I get beyond angry at the ignorant, but only fir the time period I am at the computer. Things said here usually do inspire me to talk of moral/intellectual issues with friends. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I boast a significant lead on most Americans in the areas of logic and morality. Unfortunately, I constantly feel the need to explain things to ignorant or morally skewed people, which I take seriously.

Weirdly enough, I'm also fairly care-free. If you outright insult me, I mostly wouldn't care. I find it funny and often do so to people all the time, though my words are hollow. I do get annoyed if people take it too seriously tho.

Ok. I don't know where I'm going with this. :D

Oh, I agree, and, in essence, that is definitely affecting when said negative action is fulfilled, but that seriously is dependant on the medium in itself. Speaking outside of generalities, if I were to be communicating with someone thousands of kilometers away, and they were to abuse the friendly justation of a bond I have formed with them, I take comfort in the fact that it would be more affecting if it were to be someone relatively closer or intimate. In fact, applying your metaphorical image of floating objects, generally those closer to home would classify as battleships, no? Take it as a vector, magnitude and direction.

I don't doubt that more tangible relationships with others in a daily life you actually physically interact with will for most individuals have a more powerful effect if betrayed; but my point was never to say that backstabbing on the internet is naturally more hurtful than reality in any and all cases, and indeed only to state that many people do vest feelings and attachment into bonds with others, and they can be hurt if they're severed in a devious manner.

So when I joined my first online forum aside gamefaqs. I took it quite passionately and seriously...well as seriously as a 13/14 year old could anyway. I made friends, some really close some not so close to me. I've pissed off people and hurt people online and I felt horrible about it.. then I took a break from the internet because A it was more drama filled then my school life B my computer died haha.

Now I'm 21 and I'm more mature or I like to believe that. And now I take most things with a grain of salt because alot of folks treat the internet as a game to see who can get the most lulz which is pretty lame. Generally those I actually talk to off the forums through aim I become quite friendly with, heck I might one guy in person around mid September this year.

There are those you get relatively close with online, and those are the opinions that matter. Other than that, meh. As long as you're not going out of your way to piss strangers off, then it doesn't really matter what they think of you.

It depends on the person. If they matter then what they say effects me as it would if I were standing right next to them. If they don't matter then I can only do this :mellow:

Same...because there are some people i talk to online that i occasionally hang out with in real life...if one of THOSE people said something online that was offensive then maybe id be all "you jerk, how could you say that!?" but if its some random joe, i just go "whatever kid..."

Wow over the last few days I must my out look of the internet friendships and interactions have changed, I've been contacted with numerous people who I use to talk to alright in my high point of my internet life [back in late 03- early 05] and I've been thanked by alot of these people for helping them mature or helping their self confidence which is quite surprising since I honestly didn't think I was doing too much productive or helpful... but all the thanks I gotten lately has made me realize I'm happy that I treated the internet forums with some sort of seriousness.

Well, most of the time, I enjoy a laugh at the insults of people on the internet (Xbox live, forums.), but if it goes past a certain point, I will simply leave.

I don't take anything said on the internet that seriously. I guarantee that 99% of insults passed out on forums wouldn't be said irl if the members were face to face.

And I guarantee that you would be very surprised. :D