How do you react to things said on the internet?

Masu

Well? Do you take things said to you here personally? Does it affect you in real life? Do you actually get sad and shed a tear or get pissed? I typically shrug it off majority of the time. I rarely do get a little ticked at some epic ignorance but I usually have a "meh" reaction to it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how extreme what I see is. I mean it never has a negative impact me, I laugh at every little stupid thing I see with the occasional facepalm thrown in.

It's impossible for me to take things online personally, only like 4 people on the internet know me personally.

I'm naturally pretty much impossible to get angry.

That's me right there.

Or even if I'm not impossible to get angry, you can never really get me angry.

As for the question, I don't care. It's some faceless person from the other side of the world just babbling words that will never affect or change me. I do dislike stupidity and ignorance but it's never enough to make me throw a fit or shed a tear or whatever.

Do you actually get sad and shed a tear

yes I've done this before, mostly because of my own depression and when the situation becomes really overwhelming I have been known to shut down the pc and cry, fortunately it's been occurring less lately, and crying is my main means of letting my emotions out when they become overwhelming, it's been that way forever, but it's not bad, I feel relieved and happier after, as well my length of crying has greatly decreased since a few years ago, I cried for two hours before but my last fit was only 12 minutes, a great improvement

If somebody is verbally attacking me, I usually never take them seriously. Sometimes, I'd respond to them in an absurd manner, or just flat out ignore them. It doesn't happen to me much, but that's how I treat all people who try to upset me! Usually, (especially when dealing with my brother) I wind up making them upset! "WHY DON'T YOU TAKE ME SERIOUSLY!?!?!!?"

Well, given the fact that I take everything seriously and I often miss sarcasm in real life situations, yeah, I get pretty angry when people either do insulting things or just make incredibly stupid assumptions on the internet.

Edited by Herr Wozzeck

I never understood the whole feeling of "it's just the internet, lol". If I were interacting with a benign set of 1s and 0s, or robots at the other end that are equipped to fight future wars with lolcat memes, then yes, I could see that theory in practise.

But it's real people I am dealing with on the other side. Real people behind real keyboards, just like me, with real emotions. The "lol it's the internet" crowd are usually teenagers using the internet as a scratching post, hiding behind their relative anonymity so they can do whatever they want. Maybe that's fine for fifteen year olds, but I'm a man, and men don't work like that.

That's why I treat my online relationships like my "real life" ones; to me, they ARE real life relationships. The people closest to me are Aileen, Terrell, Mike, Anne, Liz, Ed, Bill and Camilla; I spread those names out because almost half of those names are "real life" friends in the literal sense, meaning they're within at least a two hour's drive. I don't call Aileen "Hinata", or Anne "Laylea", Liz "Kyuusei", Ed "Blacken" or Camilla "Neon". People that are my friends should use avatars as an identifier, not as a mask.

After the incidents involving SpikeEdge, Thunder Priestess and Tiltyu, I'm even more convinced of my principles in this regard than before.

Basically what Superbus said.

Also, any time you can pretty much ignore something stupid or harsh someone says to you over the internet, is also something that can be avoided in real life. It really isn't different at all just because it's the internet.

It should be noted:

Every "friend" I've had that has had their entire identity hidden behind a username - with no one knowing their name, or anything about them - has ended up hurting someone very close to me. No exceptions. Every single time.

It should be noted:

Every "friend" I've had that has had their entire identity hidden behind a username - with no one knowing their name, or anything about them - has ended up hurting someone very close to me. No exceptions. Every single time.

And how pray tell is a completely anonymous internet stooge supposed to hurt anyone? "Your signature SUCKS!"

And how pray tell is a completely anonymous internet stooge supposed to hurt anyone? "Your signature SUCKS!"

Notice I said "friend"; Jet Enduro is the one that comes to the front of my mind in this case (for the old school FESSers). It goes beyond someone being a twat and saying my sig sucks. The things done by Jet and people that were like him go beyond that, and into gaining someone's trust and abusing it.

Now where is the line drawn at that? Jet nearly destroyed an internet community of over 2000 members because of his own immaturity out of, as you said, "gaining your trust," yet THAT is exactly the same in effect as him telling you "lol, ur blinking tate avvy is gai!" simple internet rage not bound to cause any actual harm to you other than mentally for a moral breach and financially for....well, you know.