How do you react to things said on the internet?

Masu

Now where is the line drawn at that? Jet nearly destroyed an internet community of over 2000 members because of his own immaturity out of, as you said, "gaining your trust," yet THAT is exactly the same in effect as him telling you "lol, ur blinking tate avvy is gai!" simple internet rage not bound to cause any actual harm to you other than mentally for a moral breach and financially for....well, you know.

Are you listening to a damn word I'm saying?

First off, this had nothing to do with what Jet did to FESS. It has to do with separate things that he had done to specific friends of mine.

Secondly... God. You don't fucking get it, and I'm tired of explaining my point to a bunch of kids who would rather get offended than pay attention. Read my previous posts until the point lights up above your head like a cartoon lightbulb.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be noted:

Every "friend" I've had that has had their entire identity hidden behind a username - with no one knowing their name, or anything about them - has ended up hurting someone very close to me. No exceptions. Every single time.

psst

"she"'s a dude

EDIT: And Chris is damned straight in calling that easily-offended child an easily-offended child if he's going to insist on not reading what he fucking wrote. Wake the fuck up.

Edited by Blacken

Are you listening to a damn word I'm saying?

First off, this had nothing to do with what Jet did to FESS. It has to do with separate things that he had done to specific friends of mine.

Secondly... God. You don't fucking get it, and I'm tired of explaining my point to a bunch of kids who would rather get offended than pay attention. Read my previous posts until the point lights up above your head like a cartoon lightbulb.

I find it ironic as you're the only one being offended in this situation, so I suggest stepping away from that screen for 30 seconds, drink some water, then come back to strike me down (or attempt to, thereof).

Also, my point still stands; using simply that instance of what Jet did, the problem is limited to the internet, meaning that is the majority of what will be affected; not what he had done elsewhere (in which case I would wonder why anyone would let someone they have never met who chooses to hide behind an alias intimate in their life enough to the point where it can damage them).

Also, my point still stands; using simply that instance of what Jet did, the problem is limited to the internet, meaning that is the majority of what will be affected; not what he had done elsewhere (in which case I would wonder why anyone would let someone they have never met who chooses to hide behind an alias intimate in their life enough to the point where it can damage them).
It was limited to such only because Bus told me not to do what I do very well. I had (and have) enough information on the shitmongers involved in those messes to make their real lives rather interesting. :) Edited by Blacken

psst

"she"'s a dude

EDIT: And Chris is damned straight in calling that easily-offended child an easily-offended child if he's going to insist on not reading what he fucking wrote. Wake the fuck up.

They are not offended though, your point lacks weight. Unless I am missing your point that is, since I am apparently a watered down you I may find it oh so hard. lol

The internet is a great place for sillyness. On the other hand, it's a great place to get to know people, because due to relative anonymity, people can be their true selves here. This can branch further to become a real life relationship, especially in Chris' case, where many of his online friends live within 2 hours from him. I'm not so lucky in that respect, however, I stand by Chris, in the fact that you can't treat everyone on the internet like an enormous, emotionless sack for you to shit all over whenever you feel like. There are people behind the words written here, and therefore feelings to be hurt. It's all fine and well when you go to 4chan to fuck around - that place basically has a disclaimer of "Don't take ANYTHING in here seriously". Here, and elsewhere (LJ, other forums, etc.) does not have that disclaimer, so you need to take things at least partially seriously. Now, you shouldn't take everything seriously; there is many a joke to be had on the internet due to memes, but you shouldn't come into a serious place and then fuck with the feelings of everyone there. That's like going into an overweight program and shouting at the top of your lungs "HEY FATASS, WANT A CHEESEBURGER?" While yes, in retrospect it may be a bit humorous for you, for the person you're calling out, it's heartbreaking.

Here, I'll link you to an article of why it's important not to be a troll, on the American Psychological Association website.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr00/mirror.html

But it's not.

I have very good real life friends I met online. I'm going to marry one of my former site's members. Two people I met at that same site are in the running to be our Maid of Honour and Best Man, respectively, and other people I met online - again, people I know by name, not by avatar or username - are close friends of mine, just like to my friends, I'm not "Bus", I'm "Chris".

What Jet did was breaking the trust of very good friends of his, friends that had confided in him, and that he had "confided" in, even if a lot of that turned out to be a lie. Just like another former admin, who turned out to have the hots for someone who ended up being a dude. These people, and others, were guilty of nothing more than naivety. Want more? How about the woman who showed her tits to her "girlfriend" SpikeEdge, feeling a kindred spirit, just to have that turn out to be Mike, saying he was Robert. Was this particular female member naive? Undoubtedly. A moron? Debatable. But I was the one that had to crack that case, because it legitimately hurt people. Or how about Thunder Priestess? He did the same thing as Ramza being SpikeEdge, but wasn't malicious about it; he was just a confused kid. He hurt someone to the point where I had to find the parents, send them an email letting them know what happened, and they got that kid help. Who knows? I might have saved that kid's life potentially.

So while you all regard this as one big joke, and in some cases, it really is, in others, you're affecting people, real people, that are just looking for friends or companions, that don't have the tools - the lighthearted attitude, street smarts, even mental stability in some cases - to regard things the same way you do.

It's nearly impossible to get me angry, especially on the Internet. Hence the constant use of "^^"...

But I aim to treat people with decency, and I'm not going to go "lulz, this is the Internet. I can get away with whatever I want." because that's just plain immature.

I like to be sarcastic and cause people to hate me. I feed on this. ^^

That's a pretty lame excuse for your recent behaviour. Nobody around here hates you, some of us are highly contemptuous.

Anyone who tries to mock me on the internet will eventually lose their hair and penis; not that they do offend me, because most people who try are normally so full of shit I just laugh my ass off.

Edited by Shuuda

Anyone who tries to mock me on the internet will eventually lose their hair and penis; not that they do offend me, because most people who try are normally so full of shit I just laugh my ass off.

You lose your ass, they lose their penis. Fia is not amused.

I try to be polite, but that's also hard to do on the internet so I try to be 'professional' (whatever that is) for the most part.

As for other people and their comments back at me: Lol, it's the internet.

Doesn't bother me as much unless I can catch on the sarcasm and reply back with a 'k'.

I prefer to keep a safe distance. Heated discussions are fun at times, but I usually pull back when insults starts flying back and forth. Big scale internet drama? No thank you.

There are some people I met online I became good friends with, but it was only after I had met them several times in real life that I started calling them friends.

Seeing as to how the posts seen above put a rift into what was given before, Bus (or if you prefer, as you have stated, Chris, though I'm not too sure I'm welcome to use that nomer), I won't take time to dissect that large memoriam for holes to upheave any given argument, primarily aided by the fact that I find it morally wrong to begin with. Though, I do have one point to make out to you: if these victims you speak of, primarily that one given in the SpikeEdge case, cannot find a kindred soul or are unable to do what they did on the internet in real life, why in dear god's sake would they do so on the internet when they surely must have thought it against their better judgment? Never mind the trust issue, that is nowhere near a given excuse.

Seeing as to how the posts seen above put a rift into what was given before, Bus (or if you prefer, as you have stated, Chris, though I'm not too sure I'm welcome to use that nomer), I won't take time to dissect that large memoriam for holes to upheave any given argument, primarily aided by the fact that I find it morally wrong to begin with. Though, I do have one point to make out to you: if these victims you speak of, primarily that one given in the SpikeEdge case, cannot find a kindred soul or are unable to do what they did on the internet in real life, why in dear god's sake would they do so on the internet when they surely must have thought it against their better judgment? Never mind the trust issue, that is nowhere near a given excuse.

Someone obviously didn't read the APA link I gave.

I don't care much what people say, but it can sometimes irritate me. Nothing serious, just a uhhhg, what an idiot. Then I'm over it, but that's a lot like me in real life. I don't like to hold grudges, they get in the way.

But I also recognize that some people really do care, and get furious when people insult them. So I don't say anything here I wouldn't say to their face. In fact, I probably say less, because they can't see my face and hear the sarcasm and lightheartedness of what I say. You may be anonymous, and I think that people should take things less seriously, but you should still treat others decently. Being anonymous doesn't mean you have an excuse to be a jerk.

It depends how it really means, if I were to say find someone who said really irritating things I would definitely reply back because it really bothers me since internet is actually a most powerful system amongst society and we really have to be careful of how we interact with.

Typically I emotionally react much like I would IRL. I probably come across as calmer because of the delay of a medium like a forum: you type your posts, I might finish reading the thread, etc.

But I've never lost it/been totally depressed over something online like stuff in the 3D.

Now where is the line drawn at that? Jet nearly destroyed an internet community of over 2000 members because of his own immaturity out of, as you said, "gaining your trust," yet THAT is exactly the same in effect as him telling you "lol, ur blinking tate avvy is gai!" simple internet rage not bound to cause any actual harm to you other than mentally for a moral breach and financially for....well, you know.

It really isn't exactly the same thing. There are mildly hurtful comments made to injure another, but we're talking about someone that gained friendship with another and used that as a means by which to hurt them. You're comparing a rowboat to a battleship; sure, they both float on water, but that's not the point that was being made.

Whether you are affected by others over the internet or not is entirely irrelevant; there are many individuals that are powerfully affected by others; we're all here in some form to communicate or discuss, that's the primary purpose of most forums. If you communicate with others for a long enough period, you're going to create some sort of attachment. Having someone that you've vested trust in spit in your face and forsake your friendship can be just as powerful an effect as relationships being injured in real life, whether you've met them or not.

I like anonymity. I like being able to say what I want, when I want, how I want, with little form of real repercussions; I like being able to stop a discussion and walk away from it and forget about it; but I'm not going to say that my anonymity has no potential to harm others just because you don't know me as well as others in real life.

I like being able to say what I want, when I want, how I want, with little form of real repercussions; I like being able to stop a discussion and walk away from it and forget about it

You can do all of that without anonymity unless you live in China and have a successful blog. The only difference in that situation would be the repercussions being a tad more heavy.

Edited by Death

You can do all of that without anonymity unless you live in China and have a successful blog. The only difference in that situation would be the repercussions being a tad more heavy.

Oh, I agree. But being unknown lines of texts on a computer screen can be overall more comforting and much easier to walk away from.

I'd made a response in my earlier post I'd backspaced that did acknowledge that sentiment; but many do value lacking an identity around others, so in some ways it's different.

For example; I'd be pretty annoyed if someone started letting everyone know my name, address, etc. to anyone and everyone. I enjoy being able to remain in anonymity if I wish it. It's not the most important thing in the world, but it's nice to have more privacy than usual.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Ugh, I can't believe he brought up spikeedge (I wanted to forget about Mike all-together -__-;) Though it is a valid point which fortifies his argument. There are some things that are "serious", but most of the other stuff on the internet is the opposite. I mean, it's pretty obvious when something is serious as well.