Favorite Harry Potter book

Ragnell

Best Harry Potter Novel  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Books

• The Sorcerer's Stone (Philosopher's Stone)
    • Chamber of Secrets
    • Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Goblet of Fire
    • Order of the Phoenix
    • Half-Blood Prince
    • Deathly Hallows

Which was your favorite of the Harry Potter books?

Mine was the Chamber of Secrets because of its intriguing mystery plot and cool action. Plus the final fight was really neat and suspenseful.

The final one, Deathly Hallows. So much death and destruction. Can't wait for the 7th film(s?) to be released so I don't have to use my imagination.

am i the only one who thinks that the final battle between voldemort and harry was.... anticlimatic?

it's just that.... i expected more. it's like, at the end, Voldemort's awesome skill and power mattered nothing. it all ended with one curse.

am i the only one who thinks that the final battle between voldemort and harry was.... anticlimatic?

it's just that.... i expected more. it's like, at the end, Voldemort's awesome skill and power mattered nothing. it all ended with one curse.

100% true.

I also thought that the introduction of the Deathly Hallows just at the final book was lame. It felt rushed and it felt like a lame excuse just to defeat Voldemort. It also felt uncreative.

100% true.

I also thought that the introduction of the Deathly Hallows just at the final book was lame. It felt rushed and it felt like a lame excuse just to defeat Voldemort. It also felt uncreative.

actually, i loved the whole aspect of the Deathly Hallows. It made Dumbledore seem more human by showing us that even the most amazing wizard of the era had a weakness, that he wasn't perfect.

actually, i loved the whole aspect of the Deathly Hallows. It made Dumbledore seem more human by showing us that even the most amazing wizard of the era had a weakness, that he wasn't perfect.

That doesn't concern the items that were introduced in the final book.

And it was already shown that Dumbledore had weaknesses and he "wasn't perfect". He even admitted it himself. Then again, no one is.

That doesn't concern the items that were introduced in the final book.

And it was already shown that Dumbledore had weaknesses and he "wasn't perfect". He even admitted it himself. Then again, no one is.

where, before Book 7, did they show this?

he was always the flawless, the wonderful, the amazing Dumbledore. while he said he wasn't perfect, it was never shown until book 7, with the introduction of the Hallows.

where, before Book 7, did they show this?

he was always the flawless, the wonderful, the amazing Dumbledore. while he said he wasn't perfect, it was never shown until book 7, with the introduction of the Hallows.

Hmm? They were first introduced as the Deathly Hallows in Book 7, yes.

Flawless? Remember the situation with Grindelwald? He didn't dare attack him just because of his feelings (he did eventually but it was late).. and Grindelwald was on a rampage.. that to me is one of the worst mistakes a man can make. And he also had partial blame for his sister's death..

Dumbledore, just like any other human, was very flawed.

Edited by Shanan

Hmm? They were first introduced as the Deathly Hallows in Book 7, yes.

Flawless? Remember the situation with Grindelwald? He didn't dare attack him just because of his feelings (he did eventually but it was late).. and Grindelwald was on a rampage.. that to me is one of the worst mistakes a man can make.

Dumbledore, just like any other human, is very flawed.

that wouldn't have come about without the Hallows.

his biggest flaw was his weakness to power. He said so himself. If it weren't for the hallows, he might have never even MET Grindelwald. If it weren't for the Hallows, he probably would NEVER have joined him in his quest to power. The Hallows were the temptation. they symbolized everything that Dumbledore hoped to achieve; fame, power, and respect. He was willing to forsake his family and friends just to achieve unlimited power.

It was this flaw that eventually led him to the situation you just mentioned. If it wasn't for his thirst for power, he probably wouldn't have ended up allied with Grindelwald in the first place.

that wouldn't have come about without the Hallows.

Well, that wasn't what I was talking about, but whatever.

his biggest flaw was his weakness to power. He said so himself. If it weren't for the hallows, he might have never even MET Grindelwald. If it weren't for the Hallows, he probably would NEVER have joined him in his quest to power. The Hallows were the temptation. they symbolized everything that Dumbledore hoped to achieve; fame, power, and respect. He was willing to forsake his family and friends just to achieve unlimited power.

I don't really think you can use the Hallows as a reason for his own shortcomings.

Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald - yes, fell in love with him (Dumbledore was gay) - by his own choice, but not because of the Hallows. They may have indeed met because of the Hallows - but Dumbledore's mistake comes around here.

It's hard to explain. It seems to me that, even if Dumbledore had met Grindelwald without the Hallows being concerned, he would have fallen in love anyway.

The reason he fell in love with Grindelwald - not because of the Hallows - was likely because he had finally found an equal in which he could relate with. Do you think the Hallows are concerned with this?

It was this flaw that eventually led him to the situation you just mentioned. If it wasn't for his thirst for power, he probably wouldn't have ended up allied with Grindelwald in the first place.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2007/10/...ry_potter_.html

She then explained that the wizard had been in love with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Well, that wasn't what I was talking about, but whatever.

I don't really think you can use the Hallows as a reason for his own shortcomings.

Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald - yes, fell in love with him (Dumbledore was gay) - by his own choice, but not because of the Hallows. They may have indeed met because of the Hallows - but Dumbledore's mistake comes around here.

It's hard to explain. It seems to me that, even if Dumbledore had met Grindelwald without the Hallows being concerned, he would have fallen in love anyway.

The reason he fell in love with Grindelwald - not because of the Hallows - was likely because he had finally found an equal in which he could relate with. Do you think the Hallows are concerned with this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2007/10/...ry_potter_.html

She then explained that the wizard had been in love with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

granted, you do have a point with him loving Grindelwald i had already come across the information, so it's no suprise. However, I don't think that was his flaw. in fact, Dumbledore himself stated otherwise.

i suggest you re-read all of the chapter where Harry was dead and was talking to Dumbledore, and the article that Rita Skeeter wrote about him. He explains to Harry that he was one ambitious person, seeking fame and fortune at the expense of his family's well-being even Aberforth says this, hence his resentment towards him It was his weakness to power which brought him together with Grindelwald. It was his weakness to power, combined with his love towards Grindelwald, that made him overlook the fact that Grindelwald was evil. It was his weakness to power which eventually lead to Ariana dying because he DID love Ariana too, proven by his suffering after her death.

and the Hallows were NOT the cause of Dumbledore's weakness. it was more that they symbolized everything that Dumbledore desired.

And even Dumbledore himself said that why he didn't go after Grindelwald. It wasn't because of love, it was because he feared knowing that not only did he bring the death of Ariadne by his desire to achieve power but that he actually was the one who directly killed her with the curse.

And after this moment, he refused point-blank to take the position of Minister of Magic. If his greatest weakness was that he was blindly in love with Grindelwald, why would he refuse the position? As Dumbledore himself states, he knew that he wasn't prepared to lead and that the power would eventually corrupt him.

Then he goes on to compliment Harry, saying that he is a true leader, and that it was admirable

It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well. ~J.K. Rowling, "King's Cross," Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2007, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore