Some things I want changed about Pokemon...

Phoenix Wright

Healing items are of no issue throughout the game, as the game gives you whatever you'll need throughout the adventure, and by the time it DOES become an issue (Elite 4), you have all the money in the goddamn world and could personally make Bill Gates ask to be bitchslapped for a nominal fee.
This reason makes the walk = healing idea even more pointless if you're already set.

Seriously, if you really need something like this that badly, then something is wrong.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Dusclops has an evolution already: Dusknoir.

I know. I was implying that Dusknoir was a pointless evolution, and it is. It basically doesn't do anything better than Dusclops did; its defenses didn't need any boost and its HP didn't get a much-needed improvement. It's higher base attack is offset by the fact that it lost Shadow Ball for physical STAB and is stuck with Shadow Punch.

Not for a pokemon like, say, Voltorb.

Not every Pokemon is Voltorb...

The reason why certain Pokemon like Garchomp and Infernape are successful is because their base speed is just a few points above a common base speed. For example, Garchomp has 102 base speed which translates to 4 more points at max level, and that's enough to outspeed all 100 base speed Pokemon.

I always thought that explosion was a fail move, insta-death but not for an insta-kill? Not really worth it.

Most situations that call for an Explosion aren't "hey I'm going to explode." Explosion can be used to KO certain Pokemon that are easily lured out, or to immediately create an advantageous position for yourself by getting rid of a relatively useless Pokemon and sending in a more useful one without the drawback of having to actually switch in.

Yes, let's make healing items completely pointless outside of battles.

I'm sick of hand holding ideas like this in games.

Dude I'm not talking like 1 step equaling 1 hp point. Hence why I said SLOWLY. And why the fuck would you spend 20 minutes walking around to heal your Pokemon if you have Hyper Potions and the like, or like someone else said, there's a Pokecenter down the street that heals your Pokemon FOR FREE?

I don't NEED it. It was just an idea. If you want it to actually mean something, then take out healing items or give us less Pokecenters or some shit. I mean Christ it's not like Pokemon is difficult as it is.

Edited by Crystal Shards

A feature like this would either be:

1) Completely pointless and nearly ineffective

2) Completely drown out most of the point in using healing items outside of battle

If #1 is the case, then it's a pretty silly idea.

If #2 is the case, then it just becomes a n00b catering tool that lets players dumb down their gaming ability in a game that's already fairly simple to complete.

Maybe it doesn't matter in Pokemon, but it does for other games, so let's end the slippery slope before it even begins.

A feature like this would either be:

1) Completely pointless and nearly ineffective

2) Completely drown out most of the point in using healing items outside of battle

If #1 is the case, then it's a pretty silly idea.

If #2 is the case, then it just becomes a n00b catering tool that lets players dumb down their gaming ability in a game that's already fairly simple to complete.

Maybe it doesn't matter in Pokemon, but it does for other games, so let's end the slippery slope before it even begins.

It probably doesn't matter in Pokemon. If the HPs were higher, or healing options more scarce, then maybe it'd mean something, but yeah, you're right.

They could give Pokemon a Difficult setting, while we're on this matter.

Fewer healing items,better moveset for the enemy pokes etc.

A hard mode should make you as a trainer bound to the same rules as opponent trainers in that you only get to use one item on your Pokemon in battle.

Trainers on Hard Mode should stop using fail Pokemon and get them evolved more quickly. If that's not possible, have them a high enough level to compensate for whatever fail they may be (be it a Dustox or something).

As for random encounters and rare Pokemon encounters... I don't think it's appropriate to really change the difficulty of these, since the challenge is not accidentally over killing them, finding their locations, getting shinies, etc, and that's probably harder than beating most trainers. The challenge in collecting Pokemon is already pretty hard/time consuming, so nothing really needs to change here.

Would it be a good idea to have them look at the comp scene and program some trainers with strategies/setups/AI that might actually win a real fight?

Edited by Rehab

Would it be a good idea to have them look at the comp scene and program some trainers with strategies/setups/AI that might actually win a real fight?

Battle Tower AI.

For that matter, a "hard mode" would be nice. The only other major changes I'd advocate in addition to revamped opponent movesets is giving opponent Pokemon existent EVs and IVs and forcing you to play set instead of shift. I don't think there would be any point to limiting item use, really; the more difficult that opponents become, the more wasteful it is to use items during the course of battle since you'll find yourself on the losing end of the exchange more often.

Edited by dondon151

Battle Tower AI.

For that matter, a "hard mode" would be nice. The only other major changes I'd advocate in addition to revamped opponent movesets is giving opponent Pokemon existent EVs and IVs and forcing you to play set instead of shift. I don't think there would be any point to limiting item use, really; the more difficult that opponents become, the more wasteful it is to use items during the course of battle since you'll find yourself on the losing end of the exchange more often.

I could see them raising the prices of the items on a hard mode.That's the least they could do.

Also, the Pickup Skill is way too cheap.

You can't program AI that perfectly imitates human behavior, especially of pros that have unpredictable mindgames.
I don't think there would be any point to limiting item use, really;
Mostly a fairness thing. Items wouldn't be limited vs. Team Rocket or random trainers, but against Gym Leaders and the like, I am dumb founded that they only have one or two items, and you have an infinite supply (especially considering these are sanctioned competitions where it makes sense to have rules like this). It pretty much kills any chance they may have had.

That, and X-item spam.

and forcing you to play set instead of shift.
Ah, definitely. Edited by Chainey

What if, in certain situations, given a nice setup, you make it random how the other trainer proceeds along a certain kind of strategy? Like an RNG thing. /pretends to know about Poke

Teams usually have just one strategy.

Items wouldn't be limited vs. Team Rocket or random trainers, but against Gym Leaders and the like, I am dumb founded that they only have one or two items, and you have an infinite supply (especially considering these are sanctioned competitions where it makes sense to have rules like this). It pretty much kills any chance they may have had.

I often find myself losing HP in the long run by using healing items. Usually I've ended up making sacrifices to allow for free heals or something.

In fact, in Platinum this was the only way that I could have defeated Cynthia. I would much rather find a way to strategically use items than to be forced to grind to meet a certain goal.

That, and X-item spam.

Is this any different from a Pokemon naturally having stat-up moves?

Is this any different from a Pokemon naturally having stat-up moves?
Yes, because they can be used on any Pokemon, and there are available boosts that aren't usually in move form (accuracy, I believe, unless they got rid of that.)

Yes, because they can be used on any Pokemon,

What's the meaning of this? Are you implying that stat-up moves should be disabled as well? If one Pokemon can get them, then why shouldn't it be accessible to all?

and there are available boosts that aren't usually in move form (accuracy, I believe, unless they got rid of that.)

Boosting accuracy is almost totally pointless.

What's the meaning of this? Are you implying that stat-up moves should be disabled as well? If one Pokemon can get them, then why shouldn't it be accessible to all?
Not every Pokemon learns a stat boosting move unless it's Double Team (which needs to get nerfed anyway.)
Boosting accuracy is almost totally pointless.
Instakill moves, which is why I wonder if they got rid of accuracy boosters. Edited by Chainey

Not every Pokemon learns a stat boosting move unless it's Double Team (which needs to get nerfed anyway.)

So? Infernape can get Nasty Plot but Gengar can't use X Sp. Atk?

Instakill moves, which is why I wonder if they got rid of accuracy boosters.

Each stage of +accuracy gives 10% more hit to an OHKO move, if it even works on them at all. It's hardly broken.

Instakill moves, which is why I wonder if they got rid of accuracy boosters.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen it in Sapphire (in Norman's Gym), so Gen III has them still at least, and Bulbapedia is saying that trainers in Platinum use them too. That's Gen IV right? So I dunno.

I'm currently at Ever Grande City and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with Sapphire. I agree with whoever said we should be able to battle trainers more than once (or at least give us more)... It just feels like there aren't really any in this game. Sidequests would be fun too. I mean I'm going to guess there's more to do after the E4, but it just doesn't seem like there's much there.

Emerald is better, CS.Getting more 2nd Gen pokes + having more bonuses + fighting both teams >>

I found Hoenn to be a total bore-fest. RSE changed a lot about the gameplay and mechanics, but it was just so fucking boring. Absolutely none of the pokemon got me going "Oh fucking awesome!" or even "Hey, that's pretty cool". I mean come on. Groudon? Most boring legendary ever? At least Regigigas looked funny.

I found Hoenn to be a total bore-fest. RSE changed a lot about the gameplay and mechanics, but it was just so fucking boring. Absolutely none of the pokemon got me going "Oh fucking awesome!" or even "Hey, that's pretty cool". I mean come on. Groudon? Most boring legendary ever? At least Regigigas looked funny.

Oh no, you didn't.

Well, RSE had some cool pokes, Blaziken and Salamence, for example.

Oh no, you didn't.

Well, RSE had some cool pokes, Blaziken and Salamence, for example.

If it's any consolation, the tios/tias, Kyogre and Rayquaza were boring as well.

I didn't even like Salamence. Blaziken's like the only pokemon I liked gen 3 save Zangoose.

Salamance is kinda fail, double weakness to ice = bad. Not to mention it loses it's not very effective ness against thunder pokemon.

If you honestly think that, you don't know shit about Pokemon.

Salamence is one of the best non-uber Dragon types out there.

Edited by Black Luster Soldier