FE9 Tier list v3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

except astrid can take the 1-range fighting and can get a good amount of levels from it

rolf cant

Unless attacking at 1 range mystically alters how much damage you deal with your weapon from how much it would deal at 2 range, it doesn't matter for combat. It matters in other things, sure, but combat? Nope.

astrid can actually move forward and fight a lot more/engage in combat easier

rolf cant

Unless movement somehow alters how much damage you deal, it doesn't matter. My post was focusing only on their combat parameters, not their movement. I already said Astrid was far better than Rolf for a multitude of reasons, of which, movement was one of them.

astrid gains levels incredibly fast

rolf doesnt

No shit sherlock! What's next on the revelations? That Ike has blue hair? That Titania has more movement than Gatrie? However, Paragon does not make her 20/20 the moment she joins, it does not boost her stats directly (only her EXP gain), and so-forth. I KNOW this! I SAID that she would have a level-lead. However, having a level-lead does NOT change the fact that she's practically Rolf's twin in combat. If Rolf's combat sucks, Astrid's combat sucks. Astrid just has a level-lead to fall back on that Rolf does not.

astrid has hand axes which do a lot of damage on EP and PP

rolf has stuff that does damage only on PP on a good day

PHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

Okay. Seriously. Rolf doesn't have a movement disadvantage compared to other foot units. In fact, if you want to bring movement into this, Rolf starts with movement identical to Bastion's and will gain 1 on promotion, not to mention access to longbows. Neither of them are going to be countering on the EP (can siege tomes even counter? I recall them not being able to. Certainly wouldn't want to) since Rolf can counter and Bastion is a sage. Remember, this is about Rolf vs. Bastion, not Rolf vs. Astrid. I'm only using Astrid to point out that Rolf's combat isn't as terribad as people love to claim it is as it's almost identical to a high-tiered unit.

astrid has steel axes which are stronger than steel bows

rolf sucks

By a whole, whopping... 2 points. Heck, since Rolf has supports that can boost his attack up by two points it may not even be that. Sure, Marcia, Rhys, and Mist have better support options (Kinda... Rhys and Mist are more about the other person in their supports than themselves and a Rolf support isn't terribad for them, just unlikely due to being played). Sure, Astrid will have a WTA most of the time, but that's why she's superior to him and ranked in high. If Astrid ever attacks at 2-range, she will be identical to a Rolf of equal level.

snowy, i repeat, are you retarded, raw stats arent everything, as you fail to grasp

And you wonder why I don't listen to people who post in tier lists when they say I'm stupid because I disagree with something that doesn't relate to the argument (even if Rolf was better than Astrid, this is about Rolf and Bastion) even though I already said I don't disagree with it the very first time I brought the argument up and you keep bringing up a unrelated point which is irrelevant to the one point I was actually talking about (comparing how well Astrid does in combat to how well Rolf does in combat to counter people saying Rolf's combat is terrible. It's clearly not. He just can't counter on the EP, which Bastion shouldn't be doing either) to try and disprove the one point I was talking about. You're saying I have room-temperature I.Q.? Well it seems that my I.Q. is being rated on the Kelvin scale while yours is equal to absolute zero on the F scale.

How about this for a counter? 'It is true that Rolf and Astrid's combat are similar, but Astrid's combat is actually pretty meh. Her level-lead is what makes that meh combat great for quite a few chapters though'? I shouldn't have to debate myself here, but it seems that talking to an audience of myself, my cat, and a brick wall due to insanity is still more sane and productive than trying to talk to you.

Anyway, let's move onto something that's not retarded to argue about.

Like Brom down. I hear a toilet flushing in the background with his name on it. It's only a matter of arguing it...

...Which I'll provide later.

So then it's confirmed that Rolf > Bastion.

As far as I know, Colonel M doesn't run the list, Cynthia does.

So no. And get that :smug: off your face.

It really comes down to Rolf's availability vs Bastian not needing babying/BEXP at this point from what I've gathered.

Edited by Dark Sage

Unless attacking at 1 range mystically alters how much damage you deal with your weapon from how much it would deal at 2 range, it doesn't matter for combat. It matters in other things, sure, but combat? Nope.

yeah because your net damage dealt is higher with a steel axe than a steel bow

not only is it 2 per attack but there are more attacks

Unless movement somehow alters how much damage you deal, it doesn't matter. My post was focusing only on their combat parameters, not their movement. I already said Astrid was far better than Rolf for a multitude of reasons, of which, movement was one of them.
it does because mathematically you will do more damage because you are in combat more often due to being further from the group
No shit sherlock! What's next on the revelations? That Ike has blue hair? That Titania has more movement than Gatrie? However, Paragon does not make her 20/20 the moment she joins, it does not boost her stats directly (only her EXP gain), and so-forth. I KNOW this! I SAID that she would have a level-lead. However, having a level-lead does NOT change the fact that she's practically Rolf's twin in combat. If Rolf's combat sucks, Astrid's combat sucks. Astrid just has a level-lead to fall back on that Rolf does not.
yeah it does because they're not twins if one has a huge level lead

astrid also has 1 range to fall back on and 2 range if not, whereas rolf doesnt have any degree of flexibility

Okay. Seriously. Rolf doesn't have a movement disadvantage compared to other foot units. In fact, if you want to bring movement into this, Rolf starts with movement identical to Bastion's and will gain 1 on promotion, not to mention access to longbows. Neither of them are going to be countering on the EP (can siege tomes even counter? I recall them not being able to. Certainly wouldn't want to) since Rolf can counter and Bastion is a sage. Remember, this is about Rolf vs. Bastion, not Rolf vs. Astrid. I'm only using Astrid to point out that Rolf's combat isn't as terribad as people love to claim it is as it's almost identical to a high-tiered unit.
but rolf's required resources to overall output ratio is so pitiful that its not even worth using him over bastian in most playthroughs, because bastian at least doesnt require investment to be subpar whereas rolf needs investment to get to a level of subpar
By a whole, whopping... 2 points. Heck, since Rolf has supports that can boost his attack up by two points it may not even be that. Sure, Marcia, Rhys, and Mist have better support options (Kinda... Rhys and Mist are more about the other person in their supports than themselves and a Rolf support isn't terribad for them, just unlikely due to being played). Sure, Astrid will have a WTA most of the time, but that's why she's superior to him and ranked in high. If Astrid ever attacks at 2-range, she will be identical to a Rolf of equal level.
but they're never at equal level
And you wonder why I don't listen to people who post in tier lists when they say I'm stupid because I disagree with something that doesn't relate to the argument (even if Rolf was better than Astrid, this is about Rolf and Bastion) even though I already said I don't disagree with it the very first time I brought the argument up and you keep bringing up a unrelated point which is irrelevant to the one point I was actually talking about (comparing how well Astrid does in combat to how well Rolf does in combat to counter people saying Rolf's combat is terrible. It's clearly not. He just can't counter on the EP, which Bastion shouldn't be doing either) to try and disprove the one point I was talking about. You're saying I have room-temperature I.Q.? Well it seems that my I.Q. is being rated on the Kelvin scale while yours is equal to absolute zero on the F scale.
you can't have negative IQ snowy, so i guess if we take the absolute value...

....whoa! 460 IQ. still better than 293 kelvin, but it's being measured in celsius for you so 20. womp

also, his offense is terrible if he doesn't do EP and requires a lot of investment to even come to a point where he can have passable offense

I don't see the point in focusing only on combat parameters. If Marcia were an unmounted unit she'd probably be about Mid tier because she's a slightly worse version of Nephenee (no Wrath, slightly lower stats, supports become awkward). That really isn't relevant to Marcia, Nephenee, or anyone else because unmounted Marcia does not exist, similar to how archer!Astrid without Paragon also does not exist. Archer!Astrid without Paragon would probably be a little shittier than Rolf...but that's not relevant either.

Having a large level lead does not make characters "twins in combat". Comparing say a 20/1 Oscar to a base level Titania would be cute and all, but it ignores the fact that Oscar doesn't start as a promoted unit.

@Brom He could probably move down a little, but does that one point of Mov really make him a tier below Devdan? His stats are pretty fixable with some BEXP'd KW levels, it's just the Mov that hurts him. Statistically compared to Devdan, a 20/1 Brom with 9/12 level ups with the KW has 4 HP, 4 Str, 2 Spd, 9 Def and loses a little in stats we don't care about much. Brom's supports are also a little better for what that's worth.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Even if Astrid and Rolf have similar stats, they're pretty horrible to compare. Astrid's extra move actually DOES contribute to her combat performance... as in, she'll actually make it into combat since she matches the movement of Oscar/Kieran/Titania/even Makalov if you really wanted. Plus you can manipulate Astrid's speed growth with the knight ward, which she will be undoubtedly wearing if you're giving her bexp.

It's not really worth arguing over Rolf anymore. People who think he's horrible will never give him the time of day, ever, but he is by no means Lyre-tier. I would count Rolf's 2 range as a blessing since he at least won't be face-raped in player phase, which Lyre can't even handle, let alone enemy phase. Rolf, regarded the worst unit of PoR, looks positively great compared to the bottom feeders of RD. I feel the number of flying units in the mid-late game gives Rolf a modicum of usefulness if you DO train him, and stat superiority over Shinon if you decide to give Rolf the time of day. He's just stuck in a game where all the paladins are great, and the fliers are even better, and he has no barriers to chip over unlike his GBA brethren, so he really has no niche to fill despite archers being a niche class. He's bottom tier for a reason but he is not useless tier. Unlike other FE games where a growth unit like Rolf would be unusable, there is plenty of BEXP to go around even with huge dumps into units like Marcia or Jill. Even if we pushed Rolf up to say, level 10 in his base class for chapter 12, Rolf will make a decent contribution chipping any ravens that make it to the boat.

He probably should stay where he is, since longbows in this game hardly matter and you could very well be using Astrid, or even Boyd, for lategame effective bonuses against wyvern riders anyway...

Edited by Samias

So then it's confirmed that Rolf > Bastion.

Sure. If you're clinically retarded and can't read my posts otherwise. Anything for you, Snowy_WOneder.

Actually, that's a great idea. Let's do this:

- Bastian

- Rolf

- Bastion

Everyone wins!

Dark Sage hit the nail on the head. Even I can see Rolf > Bastian, but when I asked you how much BEXP to possibly give him and when (aka me being generous to Rolf and his availability), you threw a tangent so inconceivable that it could have been you throwing a tangerine. At least Anouleth tried to conceive an argument (and aside from the rather snide posts I made and aku chi being a square about it, I tried showing ways Bastian is useful too).

Edited by Colonel M

More of a question than a suggestion: Why is Astrid over Makalov?

I assume that both get more or less the same bexp(or needs Astrid significantly less?) Comparing both at 20/1 now and I notice that Astrid has a rather large gap in HP and Def(Makalovs 39/16,5 vs her 33,5/13,7) and only wins in Skl(+5) and Res(+3,75). The growth rates assure that Astrid will always have lower HP/Def states than all the other paladins. I don´t know if this is actually a problem, though. For now I assume that HP, Str and Def are way more important than her advantages in Skl/Mag/Lck/Res.

you can't have negative IQ snowy, so i guess if we take the absolute value...

....whoa! 460 IQ. still better than 293 kelvin, but it's being measured in celsius for you so 20. womp

I prefer to use Rankine room temp, so... +/- 530. :)

Now I don't think it takes a math genius to realize 17% > 33%.

Hilarious typo is hilarious.

For me, Rolf is just too fragile, too low-leveled, and too niche to use except when I absolutely want him. I find more uses for Bastian than him.

As for Brom, he's just too darned limited by his movement that I find it hard to level him high enough to compete with Gatrie when Gatrie rejoins.

Edited by Luvgate

I assume that both get more or less the same bexp(or needs Astrid significantly less?) Comparing both at 20/1 now and I notice that Astrid has a rather large gap in HP and Def(Makalovs 39/16,5 vs her 33,5/13,7) and only wins in Skl(+5) and Res(+3,75). The growth rates assure that Astrid will always have lower HP/Def states than all the other paladins. I don´t know if this is actually a problem, though. For now I assume that HP, Str and Def are way more important than her advantages in Skl/Mag/Lck/Res.

Astrid has Paragon and needs only half the BEXP that Mak does, and gets double CEXP too. Astrid needs only something like 400 exp to jump to Mak's level for the next chapter. Heck, another 700ish BEXP would get her to promote.

astrid takes a lot less bexp than makalov to get to a higher level

try again

try again

Way to be condescending at an inappropriate moment. I think Astrid vs. Makalov is a pretty close comparison. Even with a level lead, Astrid has inferior physical durability to Makalov and approximately equivalent Str. With the Knight Ward equipped during Bexp level-ups, Makalov should have trouble doubling only the very fastest of enemies (Homasa, Petrine, and a few speedy Myrmidons, Swordmasters, and Ravens). Makalov's Hit disadvantage shouldn't be ignored, but the Secret Books are low-demand resources that help a bit. And when Astrid finally hits her level cap, Makalov will develop a notable Str lead on top of his ever present durability lead. Consider:

20/1 Makalov: 39 HP, 16.5 Str, 13.5 Skl, 17+ Spd, 16.5 Def, 7 Res

20/3 Astrid: 34.45 HP, 16.4 Str, 19.55 Skl, 18.5+ Spd, 14.3 Def, 11.25 Res

20/6 Makalov: 42 HP, 19.25 Str, 15.75 Skl, 19.5+ Spd, 18.75 Def, 8 Res

20/11 Astrid: 38.05 HP, 19.6 Str, 23.95 Skl, 22.5+ Spd, 16.7 Def, 13.25 Res

20/11 Makalov: 45 HP, 22 Str, 18 Skl, 22+ Spd, 21 Def, 9 Res

20/17 Astrid: 40.75 HP, 22 Str, 26 Skl, 25.5+ Spd, 18.5 Def, 14.75 Res

20/15 Makalov: 47.4 HP, 24.2 Str, 19.8 Skl, 24+ Spd, 22.8 Def, 9.8 Res

20/20 Astrid: 42.1 HP, 23.2 Str, 26 Skl, 27 Spd, 19.4 Def, 15.5 Res

Also keep in mind that Makalov can actually use skills when Astrid cannot. On the flipside, Astrid has the better weapon selection post-promotion with Wyvern-slaying bows and the virtually uncontested Laguz Bow, Killer Bow, and Brave Bow (though Astrid may need an Arms Scroll for the Brave Bow). I think Astrid might have the edge, but it's anything but a blowout.

There is no way astrid is only 2 levels higher than Makalov for that first comparison

i'd say higher evade boosts astrid's durability a little bit; a bit less defense/HP for a bit more evasion, leading to not dissimilar chances of death

Makalov needs 1344 Bexp to be 20/1. Astrid 1092, but she has obviously chapter 10 and 11 for exp. Which unit benefits the most of the raven exp? Is it wise to give them Astrid(she can´t hit reliable, though) or wouldn´t it be more profitable if the likes of Marcia/Jill get the lion´s share? And have the enemies in the mid-game/end-game an offense that can be dangerously to Astrid but less treatening to Makalov? How much cexp will she eget at the time when Makalov joins? How important is the bexp fund while chapter 12-16? Could we invest slightly more Bexp to have a better unit(IF a trained Makalov is a signifificantly better unit) or do we have to be strict, as the Top/ Upper High Tier units needs more exp?

Again: It´s not like that I believe that Makalov is clearly > Astrid and want to suggest a changing. It´s more like that I want to learn why Astrid > Makalov. I´m not as naive to think that my poor knowledge bests three years and more of tiering...

There is no way astrid is only 2 levels higher than Makalov for that first comparison

I suppose it depends on how much Cexp Astrid gets in C13 and C14 and how much Bexp you give them. If you don't give these Cavaliers an immediate Bexp dump to promote them, Makalov might gain levels as fast as Astrid due to his ability to get Cexp on enemy phase. I concede that Astrid being 20/3 when Makalov is 20/1 to be a bit of an underestimate. A 20/4 or 20/5 Astrid at that time might be more realistic. Astrid still fails to develop a Str advantage over Makalov. And the larger the initial gap in levels, the slower Astrid's level lead grows due to her doubly reduced Cexp gains when she out-levels her foes.

i'd say higher evade boosts astrid's durability a little bit; a bit less defense/HP for a bit more evasion, leading to not dissimilar chances of death

I'd take 4-5 HP + 2-3 Def over 5-10 Avo any day. Astrid does have a sizable Res lead, which is occasionally relevant.

Could we invest slightly more Bexp to have a better unit(IF a trained Makalov is a signifificantly better unit) or do we have to be strict, as the Top/ Upper High Tier units needs more exp?

Despite Makalov having a higher stat ceiling, he is not a better Bexp investment than Astrid. For every level that Makalov can gain from Bexp, Astrid can almost gain two levels. A single level-up from Makalov is better than a single level-up from Astrid, but certainly not two. Also, it's hard to argue that Makalov is ever a significantly better unit than Astrid. While Makalov can develop some leads in the very last chapters after Astrid level-caps, its rare that his leads are significant. 20/20 Astrid is a very solid unit (especially with Sol).

Edited by aku chi

try again

That's dumb. We have enough BEXP that they can charge around and ORKO everything and never die, why does it matter if it's cheaper to overlevel Astrid?

As far as I can tell, the only difference between Makalov and Astrid is that Astrid is cheaper in terms of BEXP maintenance. Astrid won't actually win in stats since we won't BEXP them past a certain point.

I suppose it depends on how much Cexp Astrid gets in C13 and C14 and how much Bexp you give them. If you don't give these Cavaliers an immediate Bexp dump to promote them, Makalov might gain levels as fast as Astrid due to his ability to get Cexp on enemy phase. I concede that Astrid being 20/3 when Makalov is 20/1 to be a bit of an underestimate. A 20/4 or 20/5 Astrid at that time might be more realistic. Astrid still fails to develop a Str advantage over Makalov. And the larger the initial gap in levels, the slower Astrid's level lead grows due to her doubly reduced Cexp gains when she out-levels her foes.
CEXP in this game isn't so fast and abundant as to let Makalov more easily get the kills. Enemy density doesn't tend to be high in the chapters after Makalov joins, and bear in mind that the chapter right after Makalov joins is a desert and the chapter after that doesn't have a very high enemy density to make his EP that much more relevant than Astrid's. Granted, this is also something against Astrid, but Astrid's been around longer.
I'd take 4-5 HP + 2-3 Def over 5-10 Avo any day. Astrid does have a sizable Res lead, which is occasionally relevant.
I mean it's a bit more than 5, considering Astrid's level leads tend to be a lot greater than what you are suggesting (surprisingly enough), but Resistance is relevant at points yeah. So's having bows to lean back on against some of the stronger laguz enemies towards the end.

Makalov needs 1344 Bexp to be 20/1. Astrid 1092, but she has obviously chapter 10 and 11 for exp. Which unit benefits the most of the raven exp? Is it wise to give them Astrid(she can´t hit reliable, though) or wouldn´t it be more profitable if the likes of Marcia/Jill get the lion´s share? And have the enemies in the mid-game/end-game an offense that can be dangerously to Astrid but less treatening to Makalov? How much cexp will she eget at the time when Makalov joins? How important is the bexp fund while chapter 12-16? Could we invest slightly more Bexp to have a better unit(IF a trained Makalov is a signifificantly better unit) or do we have to be strict, as the Top/ Upper High Tier units needs more exp?

with BEXP abuse, astrid needs a lot less than that. granted, makalov needs like 1100ish, but Astrid will need close to like 600-700. That is a sizable difference, and Astrid doesn't even need to be BEXP'd to promotion.

That's dumb. We have enough BEXP that they can charge around and ORKO everything and never die, why does it matter if it's cheaper to overlevel Astrid?

then anouleth i guess we should just say everyone is equal to each other on this tier list if that's the kind of logic we are going to be putting in play Edited by Lord Raven

with BEXP abuse, astrid needs a lot less than that. granted, makalov needs like 1100ish, but Astrid will need close to like 600-700. That is a sizable difference, and Astrid doesn't even need to be BEXP'd to promotion.

What, she's just going to run around and chip enemies with a bow? There is absolutely no point in holding off on BEXPing Astrid to promotion if you can afford it especially when she wants to build Axe Rank.

then anouleth i guess we should just say everyone is equal to each other on this tier list if that's the kind of logic we are going to be putting in play

The point was more that just because she's cheaper doesn't mean she'll be at a higher level. Being cheaper is obviously a good thing and I don't have any problem with Astrid being over Makalov but I don't see any point in BEXPing Astrid past the point where she ORKOes. So she won't have a "level lead".

In addition to needing half the BEXP to level, Paragon also doubles CEXP gain. Assuming that they both see the same amount of combat, and therefore get the same amount of kills, Astrid will have a level lead.

In addition to needing half the BEXP to level, Paragon also doubles CEXP gain. Assuming that they both see the same amount of combat, and therefore get the same amount of kills, Astrid will have a level lead.

And you'll give her less BEXP to compensate, quite obviously. If Astrid has a level lead over Makalov, it's an empty level lead since it won't translate into her having better combat or whatever since Makalov will still ORKO.

As I said, the difference between Astrid and Makalov is not that she has better combat, or a level lead, since her level lead won't translate into better combat since there's nothing better than ORKOing. It's just that Astrid is usually cheaper in terms of BEXP.

Edited by Anouleth

What, she's just going to run around and chip enemies with a bow? There is absolutely no point in holding off on BEXPing Astrid to promotion if you can afford it especially when she wants to build Axe Rank.

you sure as hell don't need to give her all the BEXP right off the bat, because she gets so much CEXP from one kill
The point was more that just because she's cheaper doesn't mean she'll be at a higher level. Being cheaper is obviously a good thing and I don't have any problem with Astrid being over Makalov but I don't see any point in BEXPing Astrid past the point where she ORKOes. So she won't have a "level lead".

I don't see how this makes sense, because if we're BEXPing both to one-rounding then my sarcastic point still holds water

it still also means that astrid gives you more flexibility, whereas makalov doesn't give you as much

you sure as hell don't need to give her all the BEXP right off the bat, because she gets so much CEXP from one kill

Well, it's probably unaffordable but there is no reason to wait if you can afford it. You don't get interest on the stuff, and unless there are units who are also waiting for promotion (maybe Oscar and Makalov) to better weapon types, promoting her should take priority.

I don't see how this makes sense, because if we're BEXPing both to one-rounding then my sarcastic point still holds water

No, it doesn't. There is absolutely no reason why we should care how expensive it is to overlevel Astrid, since that is not something we will be doing anyway. And certainly it is a strawman to suggest that this means that all characters are equal.

it still also means that astrid gives you more flexibility, whereas makalov doesn't give you as much

By which you mean "Astrid costs you less BEXP". BEXP is easily measurable, but I don't really care to guess exactly how many units of "flexibility" Astrid is "giving" us.