Luminothe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolded

So basically you only want theories on how it will happen not whether or not it will happen. The two boldeds contradict as you don't want any thoughts agaisnt the theory of 2012.

2012 is based on the astrological alignment of certain heavenly bodies that happens every 10,000 years.

2012 is lacking of any substancial evidence and the belief of it will bring out the worst in humans during that period of time.

You forgot the most important thing:

2012 is suspected to be the year in which the world will end.

Admittedly, most people have a kind of humorous outlook, and don't take this at all seriously. But the point is that this world is what people make of it and disastrous expectations can cause disastrous results. The worst of a market boom/bust can be for these reasons: Rudolf Havenstein, president of the Reichsbank after World War I, is believed to have caused disastrous inflation out of the conviction that Germany would be unable to pay its WWI debts.

However, I don't think 2012 is a powerful enough specter in modern imagination to cause people to act in such ways.

EDIT-Note the fatalism in replies, though "even if it does, there's nothing we can do" etc etc, basically willing to accept it if it does happen but apathetic as to whether it will or not. Fairly weak willed responses. If humanity has only come so far, perhaps it's not so shocking that I was unable to save them simply by rejuvenating the sun.

Also, this reminds me of a La-Mulana boss, Palenque:

Palenque.png

astronaut.jpg

Edited by SeverIan

• 4 weeks later...

Every calandar has to start over at some point they probably just thought this day is so far away no one will care there will probably be a better calandar.

That might be a fun day to sit around and watch the idiots scream and run in circles

So long as the idiots don't start rioting because they figure "screw it we're all gonna die anyway." It's all fun and games until a brick comes through your window.

If anything does happen that day, it'll be caused by the panicking of the people who actually believe that crap... and I've never actually met anyone who believes that anything will happen in 2012, so one wonders how much they'll actually do.

So long as the idiots don't start rioting because they figure "screw it we're all gonna die anyway." It's all fun and games until a brick comes through your window.

If anything does happen that day, it'll be caused by the panicking of the people who actually believe that crap... and I've never actually met anyone who believes that anything will happen in 2012, so one wonders how much they'll actually do.

That's pretty much what I deduced. As FDR put it, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself," the fanatics who arrive at the conclusion will be the cause, not a meteor.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry, the world won't end until Peter the Roman takes his seat on the Vatican.

Personally, i'm waiting for the utter destruction of Rome with bated breath.

Edited by Champion Cynthia

I'm a Christian, so I look to the Bible for my answer. And the Bible is very clear that nobody will know when the world will end. Jesus said in Matthew 25: 13, "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man comes." The Bible does seem to indicate how the world will end, though. "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?" (2 Peter 3:10-12) Is the end near? I dunno; but we can identify some warning signs.

I'm a Christian, so I look to the Bible for my answer. And the Bible is very clear that nobody will know when the world will end. Jesus said in Matthew 25: 13, "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man comes." The Bible does seem to indicate how the world will end, though. "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?" (2 Peter 3:10-12) Is the end near? I dunno; but we can identify some warning signs.

Such as?

I hate it when those verses come up(for the purpose of disproving doomsday casters) because no one who uses them is looking for any real context. They're just looking for enough words and/or phrases to get a quote that appears to say something specific.

Do those verses disprove anything? If the context is the end of the world(which I don't believe in anyway), then yes, if not which I don't think the first few do, then no.

@ Esau

A good sign might be a bunch of nuclear blasts going off everywhere for no immediately apparent reason.

@ Phoenix: You're right, though. I'm not trying to disprove anything. My point is that no one knows for sure. Like I said, there are signs that the end is coming (natural disasters that ravage the Earth, global warming, etc). It could be tomorrow for all I know.

... the end of the world(which I don't believe in anyway)...

you don't believe in the end of the world? every planet ends, but IIRC Earth is only a young planet, so it probably won't happen while the humans still roam the Earth.

I hate it when those verses come up(for the purpose of disproving doomsday casters) because no one who uses them is looking for any real context. They're just looking for enough words and/or phrases to get a quote that appears to say something specific.

Do those verses disprove anything? If the context is the end of the world(which I don't believe in anyway), then yes, if not which I don't think the first few do, then no.

@ Esau

A good sign might be a bunch of nuclear blasts going off everywhere for no immediately apparent reason.

Why would this be a sign of the End Times?

@ Phoenix: You're right, though. I'm not trying to disprove anything. My point is that no one knows for sure. Like I said, there are signs that the end is coming (natural disasters that ravage the Earth, global warming, etc). It could be tomorrow for all I know.

Natural disasters will always exist, and I don't remember God cautioning against global warming in the Bible. Hell, most god-fearing men I know seem to think it's a crock of shit cooked up by liberal godless scum.

you don't believe in the end of the world? every planet ends, but IIRC Earth is only a young planet, so it probably won't happen while the humans still roam the Earth.

You know what he means.

I'm not labeling you as a thoughtless verse popper or anything :lol: , I've just seen it used a lot.

There's another verse in the bible that I would refer people to, but I forgot where it is ... one moment ...

Amos 3:7-8 7 Surely the Lord God does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His

servants the prophets. 8 A lion has roared! Who will not fear? The Lord God has spoken! Who

can but prophesy?

I may have cut off something, not sure. If the verse you quoted states that no man will know the day or the hour, then this verse directly contradicts it.

Who are these Prophets? I won't bother going into this. Suffice to say, if there are real prophets, they know exactly when sh*t will hit the fan, or they will know just before it happens.

Now this verse could not even be in the end of world context, but it's so broad that it could apply to any number of things. This verse is why I'm careful not to instantly read something in the bible and assume a particular context. Something else may contradict that context. If the context contradict, then either A. The bible contradicts itself, or B. you have the wrong context for one of the two verses.

At least that's what I believe.

@ Esau

I figured nukes are a good sign of the end because we're unlikely to be around after enough of them go off.

Edited by Phoenix

Actually, more credible theorists are saying that 2012 will be a "new age". Not the end of the world but a new beggining. Also, studies conducted by past life regresionist(if of course you believe in such things) Michael Newton have ffound that patients have commented that sometime in the future, humans will be forced to live in dome like structures due to serious soil deficiency.

And on the subject of Nostrodamus, his quatrains were so vauge that a large number of interperatations of his predictions were in circulation.

To be quite honest though, it's probably just a bunch of crap.

Edited by Sophius

Actually, more credible theorists are saying that 2012 will actually be a "new age". Not the end of the world but a new beginning.

Bingo ^_^

Because no one read about that part in Revelation

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, more credible theorists are saying that 2012 will acttually be a "new age". Not the end of the world but a new beggining. Also, studies conducted by past life regresionist(if of course you believe in such things) Michael Newton have found that patients have commented that sometime in the future, humans will be forced to live in dome like structures duer to serious soil deficiency.

And on the subject of Nostrodamus, his quatrains were so vauge that a large number of interperatations of his predictions werenin circulation.

To be quite honest though, it's probably just a bunch of crap.

@Bold, credible theorists? They are taking a guess based on a date. That isn't credible at all. In fact, generally, people who use the 2012 date to mark either the apocalypse or a new era don't really know anything at all. The guess they make for 2012 is just as credible as a guess for 2015.

@Bold/Italics, I don't believe in those testimonies. No scientific evidence exists to prove that any of this works, and also, we believed that Large Hadron Collider would cause a black hole.

@Underline, also that many of his verses were editted to make it scary. Anyhow, many of his verses turned out to be false however you look at them and I believe that many dates were messed up as well.

It's just another date that people hype. After 2012 will come 2050.

Actually, I heard from a television show that someone famous(forgot the name) predicted the end of the world to be 2060. That didn't click with what I believe sooo I listened til I got bored and then stopped watching tv for three months.

Anyway, I don't like the discrediting that goes on. Maybe if people came after people on this 2012 stuff for the right reasons then it'd be different, but for the most part it's just mocking. I'm glad there are plenty of people who can just shrug and ignore it instead of becoming anti-religious/anti doomsday bigots.

Edited by Phoenix

@Bold, credible theorists? They are taking a guess based on a date. That isn't credible at all. In fact, generally, people who use the 2012 date to mark either the apocalypse or a new era don't really know anything at all. The guess they make for 2012 is just as credible as a guess for 2015.

@Bold/Italics, I don't believe in those testimonies. No scientific evidence exists to prove that any of this works, and also, we believed that Large Hadron Collider would cause a black hole.

@Underline, also that many of his verses were editted to make it scary. Anyhow, many of his verses turned out to be false however you look at them and I believe that many dates were messed up as well.

It's just another date that people hype. After 2012 will come 2050.

When I say credible theorists, I reference those who actually care to study what the ancient cultures believed about this date as apposed to heretics who hear "The mayan calender ends in december 2012" and scream "JUDGEMENT DAY IS APPROACHING! THE ANITCHRIST SHALL SOON ARISE AND THE HAND OF GOD SHALL BRING ARMAGEDDON UPON US! REPENT! REPENT!" I personally would be more inclined to believe the former reference under the assumption that this whle what if does indeed come to pass.

The testimonies I mentioned were merely an example of what a "New Age" could be. I merely felt it was one of the more intricate and unique possibilties, which is the reason I mentioned it. You don't have to believe it.

Also, Nostrodamus's predictions were based off of his astrological observations. Assuming of course that the stars even tell the future(which is unlikely, but not impossible) its possible he misread the date or event in some cases (ie. his prediction about the twin towers.). Its also possible he was reffering to something other than what people believed he was reffering to. And, there is alway the highly likely chance tha he was a glorified poet who drew ispiraion from stargazing, and decided to call his works predictions so he could get famous.

Then you'd be off topic, since this isn't about love.

And the years 2050 and 2060 are on topic?

Jokes aside, I just find outright mockery unnecessary and provocative, especially since most 2012 theorists are religious. Violence and religion ... good bed fellows.