The best healer  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best?

• Rhys
    • Mist
    • Neither of them
    • I use both

still doesn't get it.

No, he definitely does not. Rhys has physics, doesn't take combat CEXP, provides supports, allows secondary healers to fight, and is better than an empty slot, but it might as well be "blah blah blah" for all the impact that it has on Inui Horio.

While there are situations that Titania would want a Rhys support, it is her worst support, considering there's a move gap, and even then, the bonuses are terrible.

Obvious point is obvious. It does not refute my statement. I am saying that Rhys being deployed is worthwhile for (amongst other things) support reasons, and none of what you've posted thus far has managed to dismiss that central point. Mia is a slam dunk, Titania cannot be said to never wind up with Rhys (she'll take +1 mt with her STR), and Rolf/Ulki being bad fails to actually address the issue of them ultimately benefiting from the arrangement. Kieran is the least likely to matter, but even a support with him is not beyond the pale.

The idea here is that Rhys has the potential to be more than just another healer, whatever the magnitude is.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Rhys does not exist. Horrible character that becomes worthless once you have other healers.

Also, this is just a tad circular.

Rhys is horrible since he doesn't exist.

He doesn't exist because he's horrible.

Um...

Better to just drop the first sentence to remove the appearance of a circular argument, even if it isn't technically circular.

He's inferior to Mist for many reasons, but "not exist"ing is not one of those reasons. Not existing is a result of poor deployment choices believing the reasons he is inferior warrant not deploying him. Not existing cannot be a reason for Mist > Rhys.

Put another way, you have a cause, A, and effects B and C. B and C may be correlated, but there is no causal relationship between B and C in either direction.

A are all the reasons Rhys is inferior.

B is Rhys not existing after a certain point.

C is Mist > Rhys.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

In short, fighting+healing is not that much of an advantage because a unit can only do one of those per movement. Keep Rhys focused on healing and everyone else on combat since he is one of the few pure healers.

Soren/Ilyana/Tormod are more likely to kill units that attack them then Rhys is, and more likely to survive (at least in Soren and Ilyana's cases).

As for "Rhys being better than your tenth best unit" I'm not sure this is necessarily true. You only need so many healers (especially in PoR where PC durability becomes very high), and your tenth best unit might be Astrid or something, it's very easy to make ten good combat units given PoR's BEXP system. If we already have another healer, I would probably be fielding Astrid over Rhys.

Of course I wouldn't go so far to say that Rhys is a negative, but the statement that somehow more healers are always better kind of bugged me.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Soren/Ilyana/Tormod are more likely to kill units that attack them then Rhys is, and more likely to survive (at least in Soren and Ilyana's cases).

As for "Rhys being better than your tenth best unit" I'm not sure this is necessarily true. You only need so many healers (especially in PoR where PC durability becomes very high), and your tenth best unit might be Astrid or something, it's very easy to make ten good combat units given PoR's BEXP system. If we already have another healer, I would probably be fielding Astrid over Rhys.

Of course I wouldn't go so far to say that Rhys is a negative, but the statement that somehow more healers are always better kind of bugged me.

It's not so much that having 4 healers (eg Mist + Rhys + Soren + Ilyana) is better than having 3 healers (eg Mist + Soren + Ilyana), it's that having Rhys in there allows Soren and Ilyana to focus on killing stuff, and giving Mist as much opportunity to build her sword rank as possible. Soren and Ilyana are fairly good combat units, or can be, anyway. As such, if you drop Rhys for Geoffrey or something, you are giving up a lot of Soren/Ilyana/Mist's combat potential in order to get Geoffrey's combat anyway (since now they heal more often), and on top of that now you have two units vying for cexp rather than just one. And in the end, you don't even get a better healer out of it all since Rhys with Physics does the job quite well already.

You basically have minor positives and bigger negatives if you make the decision to drop Rhys.

And on top of all that if you want Ilyana/Soren to be able to use your physics you need to get them to waste time using heal 10 times and then Heal or Mend another 14 times just to get them up to C staves. And don't they cap at C or something? Not that I can find that information anywhere, just that I've been told this before. I never noticed since Ilyana and Soren are usually too busy killing things to waste 24 turns on healing when I have Rhys and Mist available for the task. Sometimes I don't even get them up to D staves. Not suggesting that's the only way to play, just saying that it is something they have to do which serves no real purpose when you have Rhys and Mist able to use these better staves since much earlier in the game.

As for durability and offence, again, Rhys isn't there to be offensive. You need not even promote him, actually. He's just there to heal stuff from far away. A job he performs masterfully.

still doesn't get it.

No, you are the one that does not get it.

Or, you know, deploy both and then Rhys heals while your other units that you claim are such amazing fighters get to actually, you know, fight?

Or I can deploy units that can effectively do both instead of a unit that can only do one. If there is nothing to heal, the other magic user can kill something. If there is healing to be done, they can heal, and they can do so on the front lines without dying and be able to kill whatever attacks them. Rhys is so much more limited than the other healer options it's ridiculous. Mist rapes him in durability and has a horse. The other options rape him in durability and offense by a very large amount and thus are more mobile and have many more purposes.

Physics. Your point is null.

As for the rest, healing + (healing + fighting) > (healing + fighting). Oh look, deploying Rhys is better than simply not. You are not so strapped for deployment slots that it is advantageous to deploy your 10th string fighter rather than an extra healer.

Physic isn't a big deal. Why is healing in general a big deal in this game after units promote and get supports? Most of the units (enemies included) in this game are very durable. The instances where Rhys having Physic will somehow save your ass are so rare that it hardly matter. Oh no, Paladin X finally took 5 hits after dodging 100 times and now needs to be healed and somehow isn't near any healer! Righto.

Fielding him does not yield less benefit. Notice that your 10th string fighter is taking cexp from your top 9 fighters. Rhys is taking cexp from nobody. He is in fact one of the best healers since you have no motivation to have him attack stuff (Mist wants to reach B Swords pronto) so he can focus on healing. All the rest you want to build to A swords (Mist for Runesword) or S thunder or something else. Rhys just sits back and physics the maps away.

It yields less benefit than fielding any other unit that can use staves.

Rhys can't move. He can't fight. Soren, Ilyana, and Tormod don't need to stay back and use Physic. They can just be on the front lines and fight and heal at the same time and never be limited in terms of where they can go. This is so much more efficient than using Rhys. Rhys requires protection and apparently costs more money to be a good healer. The others don't need this.

In short, fighting+healing is not that much of an advantage because a unit can only do one of those per movement. Keep Rhys focused on healing and everyone else on combat since he is one of the few pure healers.

Or I could just field someone else that can do both and increase my efficiency and never have to shield a unit.

No, he definitely does not. Rhys has physics, doesn't take combat CEXP, provides supports, allows secondary healers to fight, and is better than an empty slot, but it might as well be "blah blah blah" for all the impact that it has on Inui Horio.

I just thought I'd let you know that you make my arrogant elitist bastard self seem like a very nice and humble person.

Edited by Inui

If healing isn't beneficial that cuts half of Mist's value, also consider that at base she can only heal. Rhys comes earlier and starts doing the same time. Mist's combat is fail without those precious magic swords that you'll want to conserve. Mist is pretty frail as well early on if I remember correctly.

If healing isn't beneficial that cuts half of Mist's value, also consider that at base she can only heal. Rhys comes earlier and starts doing the same time. Mist's combat is fail without those precious magic swords that you'll want to conserve. Mist is pretty frail as well early on if I remember correctly.

It's not as bad as you want to giver her credit for. Give her a max Mt steel forge as soon as she promotes and she's got 23 attack (+ supports- A Mordy B Jill is +4, for instance), 18 speed, and 17 resistance. She's really pretty good at knocking out sages once you get through about Chapter 18 (when I usually promote her on NM) and steel + arms scroll (who else really wants one besides Ilyana for Rexbolt?) means she can get to B swords by 23 or so. Plus, it's not like anyone else can really make use of them anyway. And her water support means she can easily get a lot of extra defense, since she's got 3 +defense supports (up to +5). And her luck is really high, so she can usually avoid axes. Not a fighter by any means, but can definitely be a good mage killer.

No, you are the one that does not get it.

What I get from you is that spreading exp among 10 or more combat units is superior to focusing on 8 or 9. I disagree. Your entire point, however, completely relies on your assumption that more units (that are all at lower levels) = more efficient, even though it isn't. If the game gave you 16 slots each chapter, would you argue for filling all 16 slots with combat units vying for cexp? I surely hope not. If you would, then you are beyond hope. If you wouldn't, then you clearly know that there is an upper limit to the number of combat units that should be raised. We just seem to disagree on what the upper limit is.

Or I can deploy units that can effectively do both instead of a unit that can only do one. If there is nothing to heal, the other magic user can kill something. If there is healing to be done, they can heal, and they can do so on the front lines without dying and be able to kill whatever attacks them. Rhys is so much more limited than the other healer options it's ridiculous. Mist rapes him in durability and has a horse. The other options rape him in durability and offense by a very large amount and thus are more mobile and have many more purposes.

Wow, what's unit #11 doing that the other 10 can't do while Rhys is healing? If there is nothing to heal, chances are there is nothing for Mr. 11 to kill either, since, you know, your other 10 units can go do that? You should never run into a situation in which you desperately need Rhys to be able to kill something and have problems if he can't. Ever. The fact that you can have Rhys just heal and never take away cexp is an advantage for him. You really are good at repeatedly ignoring this fact. All he need do is heal. So, he can be deployed alongside your sages without any trouble, and they just focus on killing things.

Physic isn't a big deal.

Aside from obliterate your point about Rhys's durability, I suppose they aren't that big a deal.

Why is healing in general a big deal in this game after units promote and get supports?

uh, not everyone has avo through the roof so they need healing from time to time? May as well let Rhys/Mist do it, which allows Soren/Ilyana/etc to keep attacking things.

Most of the units (enemies included) in this game are very durable. The instances where Rhys having Physic will somehow save your ass are so rare that it hardly matter.

Never said that Rhys is somehow saving you. Just saying that your units will need healing from time to time, and Rhys is one of the better choices for that task.

Oh no, Paladin X finally took 5 hits after dodging 100 times and now needs to be healed and somehow isn't near any healer! Righto.

When did I ever say there wouldn't be a healer? You can have Soren/Ilyana do the healing and your 11th string fighter can attack some enemy and hopefully (but probably not) kill it. I can have Rhys heal the damaged PC unit while Soren/Ilyana kill the enemy. Either way I am aware that the PC unit gets healed. Please point to where I said it wouldn't. Oh, wait, I never did!

It yields less benefit than fielding any other unit that can use staves.

Read more carefully this time?

Fielding him does not yield less benefit. Notice that your 10th string fighter is taking cexp from your top 9 fighters. Rhys is taking cexp from nobody. He is in fact one of the best healers since you have no motivation to have him attack stuff (Mist wants to reach B Swords pronto) so he can focus on healing. All the rest you want to build to A swords (Mist for Runesword) or S thunder or something else. Rhys just sits back and physics the maps away.

Are you at least going to counter the point about your 10th string fighter taking cexp away from the others whereas Rhys doesn't? Or the whole raising ranks in staves instead of fighting so that Ilyana and Soren can actually use Physics later on? Or really any of the reasons why Rhys does not yield less benefit?

Rhys can't move. He can't fight.

And do tell when I ever said I need him to fight? All he's there for is healing. That's all he has to do, since you have a ton of other units doing the fighting. You still don't seem to get that.

Soren, Ilyana, and Tormod don't need to stay back and use Physic.

Know what else they don't need to do? Heal anyone. Know why? Rhys does it for them so they can fight.

They can just be on the front lines and fight and heal at the same time and never be limited in terms of where they can go.

So, are you giving them Reyson priority so they can heal and fight, or did you hack the game so they each get two turns? Care to bring any more invalid points?

This is so much more efficient than using Rhys.

How is one units having split duties more efficient than Rhys healing and Sages attacking?

Rhys requires protection and apparently costs more money to be a good healer.

What money? Tell me you don't steal physics solely for selling. It's not like you had to pay for them, either. So what more does it cost them? And are you so incompetent at the game that you think Rhys needs protection when he's physic-ing? Somehow I doubt that, so I'll just have to assume intentional sandbagging.

The others don't need this.

Don't need what? Staves? I'm glad we agree. Let them fight.

Or I could just field someone else that can do both and increase my efficiency and never have to shield a unit.

A: he doesn't need shielding. When will you get this?

B: You are decreasing your efficiency since you are spreading your experience more than it needs to be. There should not be a time where Mr. 11 actually saves turns.

I just thought I'd let you know that you make my arrogant elitist bastard self seem like a very nice and humble person.

He also makes you look stupid. ;)

What I get from you is that spreading exp among 10 or more combat units is superior to focusing on 8 or 9. I disagree. Your entire point, however, completely relies on your assumption that more units (that are all at lower levels) = more efficient, even though it isn't. If the game gave you 16 slots each chapter, would you argue for filling all 16 slots with combat units vying for cexp? I surely hope not. If you would, then you are beyond hope. If you wouldn't, then you clearly know that there is an upper limit to the number of combat units that should be raised. We just seem to disagree on what the upper limit is.

I'd want to fill every spot with a good unit in every chapter in order to finish it as quickly as possible without dying. By the time Rhys is no longer required as a healer, you can have a plethora of durable units fight and even complete chapters without healers entirely due to how durable you can make units. The abundance of BEXP makes spreading CEXP perfectly fine. I don't want to enter every single chapter with only 10 units.

Wow, what's unit #11 doing that the other 10 can't do while Rhys is healing? If there is nothing to heal, chances are there is nothing for Mr. 11 to kill either, since, you know, your other 10 units can go do that? You should never run into a situation in which you desperately need Rhys to be able to kill something and have problems if he can't. Ever. The fact that you can have Rhys just heal and never take away cexp is an advantage for him. You really are good at repeatedly ignoring this fact. All he need do is heal. So, he can be deployed alongside your sages without any trouble, and they just focus on killing things.

Did you ever stop to think about this? You could promote Soren and then use him as your dedicated healer, too. He has a huge Mag stat. But that's not all! Unlike Rhys, Soren kills things that attack him, doesn't ever need to stand back, and can heal directly on the front lines! And being able to do that makes Soren significantly better at Rhys's own specialty regardless of his staff level because Soren can do so without restricted mobility or needing to use a much more expensive staff and he can give support bonuses.

Aside from obliterate your point about Rhys's durability, I suppose they aren't that big a deal.

It also makes him more expensive than other healers and obliterates your points about him giving support bonuses since now he needs to be far from combat to survive since he's a piece of glass with cracks in it already that can't move.

uh, not everyone has avo through the roof so they need healing from time to time? May as well let Rhys/Mist do it, which allows Soren/Ilyana/etc to keep attacking things.

Even without crazy Evd, most units have nice HP/Def/Res as well. Durability is very easy to find in this game. It is why Gatrie sucks. Who cares if Gatrie can fight 100 enemies without dying while someone like Oscar or Titania can only fight 50 without dying? Neither will ever die. And this is why healing isn't such a big deal and not being durable blows and why you need good offense to be rated high in this game. If everyone can frontline safely but Rhys, that is bad for Rhys. If everyone is durable, his usefulness as a healer isn't that special.

Never said that Rhys is somehow saving you. Just saying that your units will need healing from time to time, and Rhys is one of the better choices for that task.

When did I ever say there wouldn't be a healer? You can have Soren/Ilyana do the healing and your 11th string fighter can attack some enemy and hopefully (but probably not) kill it. I can have Rhys heal the damaged PC unit while Soren/Ilyana kill the enemy. Either way I am aware that the PC unit gets healed. Please point to where I said it wouldn't. Oh, wait, I never did!

Read more carefully this time?

Are you at least going to counter the point about your 10th string fighter taking cexp away from the others whereas Rhys doesn't? Or the whole raising ranks in staves instead of fighting so that Ilyana and Soren can actually use Physics later on? Or really any of the reasons why Rhys does not yield less benefit?

And do tell when I ever said I need him to fight? All he's there for is healing. That's all he has to do, since you have a ton of other units doing the fighting. You still don't seem to get that.

Assuming post-promotion time (like when Ike promotes) and Rhys's earlygame healing is done with:

Team A: Titania, Oscar, Ike, Boyd, Soren, Ilyana, Stefan, Mia, Mordecai, Muarim, Tanith, Rhys

Team B: Titania, Oscar, Ike, Boyd, Soren, Ilyana, Stefan, Mia, Mordecai, Muarim, Tanith, Tormod

Both teams are fairly powerful. But which is better? Obviously the one with Tormod. Tormod with his lower staff level still makes a better healer than Rhys and adds more to efficiency and to the team in general. Why? He is significantly more mobile, and not just due to Celerity. He can heal right on the front lines and move anywhere without worrying about being instantly killed. If there's nothing to heal, he can kill something instead.

Rhys is so vastly outclassed by other units that fielding him is just pointless. Why do you need a 4th extra healer sitting there? What is he even contributing by sitting back with Physic? How often is his healing really doing anything when you have such a durable team that doesn't need it much and other healers to do so when needed (which is sparingly)?

I'd take Team B any day. It doesn't have a frail unit with no offense on it and still has the same amount of healers.

So, are you giving them Reyson priority so they can heal and fight, or did you hack the game so they each get two turns? Care to bring any more invalid points?

How is one units having split duties more efficient than Rhys healing and Sages attacking?

I guess the enemy phase stopped existing, huh? Move to front lines. Heal someone. Kill stuff on the enemy phase.

A: he doesn't need shielding. When will you get this?

B: You are decreasing your efficiency since you are spreading your experience more than it needs to be. There should not be a time where Mr. 11 actually saves turns.

He either needs shielding or he never gives his support bonuses to anyone. Either way, it's a negative. A negative other units don't have.

Enemy density seemed quite high to me around the time Ike promoted and on. I liked using a full team of units. A full team without Rhys on it so I don't have to be overly cautious with anyone and still finish chapters blindingly fast anyways because I barely need to heal due to using good units like Paladins and Jill that lol @ the enemies all day as they miss them or do little damage.

I'd want to fill every spot with a good unit in every chapter in order to finish it as quickly as possible without dying. By the time Rhys is no longer required as a healer, you can have a plethora of durable units fight and even complete chapters without healers entirely due to how durable you can make units. The abundance of BEXP makes spreading CEXP perfectly fine. I don't want to enter every single chapter with only 10 units.

Guess we are done then, if you'd try to use all 16 slots.

Now I can give up on you, you can give up on me, and we can move on with our lives.

Yes, it is.

They both suck as fighters anyways...on averages Mist won't be onerounding even with a steel forge with 13 Mt (Which is the max Mt available for steel swords), you will be wasting alot of gold giving that forge max Mt, lowering it's Wt & giving it slightly more Hit because Mist's skill at 20/1 is 9...she also doesn't oneround soldiers with that, my Mist had 15 Str in normal mode at 20/1 and she couldn't even oneround them, I imagine they are even stronger in hard mode...

Rhys sucks as a fighter because his his Str is barely existent, he is also much slower than Mist, he gets slowed down by every light magic tome, what sucks is that light magic tomes don't have too much of a decent Mt and are a little too heavy for Rhys.

In earlygame usefulness Rhys is really good, he has 7 chapters to heal, Mist comes at Chapter 10, but the only way to train her decently (especially in HM) would be giving her lots of BEXP because most enemies will be onerounding her, fighters with powerful axes kill her in one hit, Rhys at least could have gained some levels to have existing Def & decent HP.

Mist is better if trained in terms of usefulness, she doesn't really make up for a fighter unless you are able to save her two Arms Scrolls and give her the use of the Sonic Sword. And if you BEXP she won't even be able to use the Psychic staff because her base staff level as valkyrie is C.

And if you BEXP she won't even be able to use the Psychic staff because her base staff level as valkyrie is C.

You DO realize that Physic is C rank in this game, right...?

Just as a side note, getting Soren/Ilyana to C isn't a big deal. Yes, it's 24 staff uses, but the Physics don't show up until ~20 or so anyway, which means we have 10 or so chapters to get rank up, plenty of time if we're using them as healers.

Physics are also a reason I'm not so big on Mist in this game. There's a very small window where she is promoted before Physics exist, and once they come into play she'll have the same healing range as Soren/Ilyana anyway (Tormod has trouble getting to C but also has Celerity anyway). She has Canto I guess, but the three of them don't need to run away from combat in the first place.

I think you guys can reach an easy compromise here. Rhys is worse than the mages once promoted, but that doesn't make him entirely useless.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I think you guys can reach an easy compromise here. Rhys is worse than the mages once promoted, but that doesn't make him entirely useless.

I'm not sure you've completely understood the thread of this conversation if you think what you've posted there is a middle ground. Your compromise position is the same as my original argument.

I'm not sure you've completely understood the thread of this conversation if you think what you've posted there is a middle ground. Your compromise position is the same as my original argument.

On top of which, Horio doesn't seem willing to budge on this point, either. As near as I can tell, Horio sees Rhys as completely worthless at this point. In other words, once Ilyana/Soren reach some arbitrary level of healing (possibly just promotion, possibly C staves, not sure what he thinks) Rhys is worthless and may as well not exist. I've seen no willingness to budge on this point from his side.

Also, if you devote Ilyana and Soren to healing I have absolutely no issue with them obtaining C staves in time. Well, if you early promote them, at least. Actually, if you promote them at level 20 in chapter 16, I suppose by chapter 19 or 20 you could get them to C staves if you mainly heal with them. But then they really aren't doing much that Rhys wasn't already doing and you arguably wasted the exp it took to get them up to promotion.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

First of all, my name is Inui. You will address me as such or I will be a little bitch and report every post you people make as trolling. Thanks!

Rhys has worth as a random back-up healer. But he can't approach the front lines. This means his support bonuses might as well not exist. He's a bad choice of a partner for just about anyone. If he moves to the front, he limits the mobility of the team since they absolutely MUST shield him. If two enemies attack him and win a coin flip, he's gone. What is the point of fielding a unit like this if the only thing he can do is sit back and use Physic? I'd rather send out an army of Paladins/Sages/Wyverns that won't die and kills everything quickly and then just finish the chapter. lol @ healing being some amazing use later on when everyone in this game besides Rhys can achieve broken durability. Rhys might never even use a Physic and might never give support bonuses, so he might as well be a strong NPC unit or something when you field him.

I don't agree with fielding ~10 units the whole game. I don't see how that's more efficient than a full team. The full team can actually do more. I've played FE games with large teams and small teams and notice very little difference in terms of how quickly you finish. In fact, the durability of enemies in this games makes me want to use ~5 additional combat units to get rid of them all. Having 10 20/10 units as opposed to 15 20/7 units doesn't seem better at all. The 20/10 guys have like +1 to all stats and that's it but are outnumbered by 5.

First of all, my name is ****. You will address me as such or I will be a little bitch and report every post you people make as trolling. Thanks!

Wow, this really gets to you, doesn't it?

Rhys has worth as a random back-up healer. But he can't approach the front lines. This means his support bonuses might as well not exist. He's a bad choice of a partner for just about anyone. If he moves to the front, he limits the mobility of the team since they absolutely MUST shield him. If two enemies attack him and win a coin flip, he's gone. What is the point of fielding a unit like this if the only thing he can do is sit back and use Physic? I'd rather send out an army of Paladins/Sages/Wyverns that won't die and kills everything quickly and then just finish the chapter. lol @ healing being some amazing use later on when everyone in this game besides Rhys can achieve broken durability. Rhys might never even use a Physic and might never give support bonuses, so he might as well be a strong NPC unit or something when you field him.

Support bonuses are 3 tiles, dude. Not whatever you think it is. And this game doesn't require adjacents to build supports.

Sending out 1 strong paladin into a group of enemies is the same thing as sending out 3 strong paladins into that same group of enemies. The enemies will all go for the weakest one.

Support bonuses are 3 tiles, dude. Not whatever you think it is. And this game doesn't require adjacents to build supports.

Sending out 1 strong paladin into a group of enemies is the same thing as sending out 3 strong paladins into that same group of enemies. The enemies will all go for the weakest one.

You still have to keep him close to the front lines. = Fail. Don't get me wrong, a Maxed Rhys is not bad, but he is fail otherwise. :/

Yeah, but "What if"s don't work on debates, because a maxed out Rhys is very unlikely to happen.

You have to hack. I thought by now I made that kind of thing clear. :/ Unless I say something is not hacked, I probably hacked the results. :/

Rhys has worth as a random back-up healer.

It's nice to see that you're beginning to accept the original argument that I made, Two Years Tennis Experience, which was that Rhys is not worthless.

But he can't approach the front lines. This means his support bonuses might as well not exist.

Obviously I spoke too soon. :facepalm:

Rhys has no problem approaching the front lines. Keeping him out of enemy range is not all that difficult, and need not constrain the army's movement. Player units are seriously powerful compared to enemies in this game, considering the high ORKO rate that the higher tiers have, and the fact that many of them have Canto (which contributes greatly to maximizing Player and Enemy phases).

Mia is probably his best partner, since she's likely to benefit from having a healer nearby, and they have similar MV. Having a healing station that follows her around and gives +3mt+15hit is actually pretty good.

lol @ healing being some amazing

It's worth noting that you're the only one hyping healing, here; "amazing" is your word.

I don't agree with fielding ~10 units the whole game. I don't see how that's more efficient than a full team.

I hate to play this card, but you need to stop running your mouth and actually play FE9, just to see what kind of disgusting performance is possible when you concentrate resources into units such that they obliterate swaths of enemies on Enemy Phase or otherwise. Look at a properly-raised Boyd for example, and imagine him holding any weapon, even a Hand Axe. He is balls ridiculous. Things just march into him and die. He can even ORKO a Dragon under the right circumstances, if he wanted to.

You have this fantasy scenario in your head where the PoR crew needs extra pepper to take down enemies. The reality is, if you have problems with a smaller team, you are not properly arming your units for the job that you give them.

Which is why an Ike solo is so easy. Only using one person results in him being heavily overleveled and able to destroy anything. As your team gets larger and larger, your units become weaker, and there are few advantages to bringing in the max units since, like someone already said, the enemies are always going after the weakest units.