What is your fear?

Ansem

hmm, let's see;

everyone you'll ever love, you will have to see dying

times change, you'll have to move a lot or you'll be a laboratory animal

but then again, it's not like it's possible. so it wouldn't be a logical thing to fear, yes.

But if you're immortal, there's a good chance you'll find a way for your loved ones to be immortal too. And even then, your loved ones will have grandchildren and children, those are just new ones for you to love right? You'd have to deal with a bit of heartbreak every 30 years or so when that generations people start to die out, but that's not unbearable, is it? You'd practically be a hero to the younger generation too, with all of your accumulated knowledge of people in general to sort out their problems to! For me, I'd actually love to be immortal, just to see how many people I could help out and whose lives I could make better.

Edited by FionordeQuester

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with immortal, is that you would inevitably go insane or begin to hate your life (actually both). Why? You're immortal. You live infinitely. That means that it is inevitable that those things will happen at some point. It's also why immortality is theoretically impossible.

also, is there anyone who fears eternal life? I think people should, but then again, I don't fear it either...

Actually, I do. It is very scary, just to think of it...at some point you are going to be left alone, it's as if there were no escape between either.

Problem with immortal, is that you would inevitably go insane or begin to hate your life (actually both). Why? You're immortal. You live infinitely. That means that it is inevitable that those things will happen at some point. It's also why immortality is theoretically impossible.

I don't know why I would hate my life, but I do see what you mean when you say I would go insane. That's only if your body is the only thing that's going to be immortal though, if your mind stops aging with it, the former isn't going to be an issue. No, I wouldn't want to be immortal unless my mind was too.

I don't know why I would hate my life, but I do see what you mean when you say I would go insane. That's only if your body is the only thing that's going to be immortal though, if your mind stops aging with it, the former isn't going to be an issue. No, I wouldn't want to be immortal unless my mind was too.

your mind won't age, but experiences will make it older in some way. can't really explain it, maybe someone else can?

your mind won't age, but experiences will make it older in some way. can't really explain it, maybe someone else can?

If you're immortal with eternal youth, then the mind is in no danger of degradation if that's what he meant. As far as actually getting older. That's absolutely true. Look at old people. They're usually stuck in the age they came from unless they're progressives or something.

Umm ... with age comes wisdom false or otherwise.

As for immortality itself, I have a fear of living forever in human form. Now becoming a spirit with a totally new perspective on the passage of time and living is a different matter.

"Fear itself". Fear is a very big roadblock and life, and it has pushed me down.

Seconded -_-

Edited by Phoenix

Even if your mind is immortal and doesn't age, it's irrelevant; you're going to eventually go insane. Insanity isn't exactly some kind of impossible thing for any given person, and so long as it's a non-zero probability and you're immortal, it's eventually going to happen.

And when you're thinking of immortality, sure you're going to have fun so long as you don't happen upon some catastrophic problem that immortality would totally fuck you over in (like getting caught in a landslide out in the boonies, for example)...for the first couple hundred years. But go forward a thousand years, a million years, a billion years, when humanity is dead and has been gone for hundreds of thousands of years; what are you going to be thinking then?

Even if your mind is immortal and doesn't age, it's irrelevant; you're going to eventually go insane. Insanity isn't exactly some kind of impossible thing for any given person, and so long as it's a non-zero probability and you're immortal, it's eventually going to happen.

And when you're thinking of immortality, sure you're going to have fun so long as you don't happen upon some catastrophic problem that immortality would totally fuck you over in (like getting caught in a landslide out in the boonies, for example)...for the first couple hundred years. But go forward a thousand years, a million years, a billion years, when humanity is dead and has been gone for hundreds of thousands of years; what are you going to be thinking then?

That surely would be unlucky. End up as that guy in Naruto forever?

Immortality is something i would like but then there are certain issues with it that make me think otherwise.

Edited by Ulki

They're usually stuck in the age they came from unless they're progressives or something.

You mean, they can't adapt to their new age intellectually, or you mean they generally don't change much?

Basically people get set in their ways pretty early on and don't change much. Inability to adapt intellectually in my opinion is just their own fault individually.

Mostly I'm terrible at adapting so I fear doing something I haven't done before. I'm afraid of being interviewed cause I've never ever been interviewed in my life, as an example.

That surely would be unlucky. End up as that guy in Naruto forever?

Immortality is something i would like but then there are certain issues with it that make me think otherwise.

The best choice, I think, would be selective immortality. Freedom from injury or age, but the option to end that capability at any time.

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself"

^smart guy. I'm also afraid of losing my friends and loved ones. Not just by death, but also drifting away from them.

^smart guy. I'm also afraid of losing my friends and loved ones. Not just by death, but also drifting away from them.

Seconded.

I also had ear of spiders and walking across and walking across dark places..

My parents finding out what I watch :awesome:

Spiders(seriously,they make me feel sick just by looking at one, I dont know why, but that's how much I'm scared)Also, most other bugs

Heights (not so much until it's very high up)

The dark

Ike getting married(lol just kidding)

I'm afraid of death, as funny and illogical as it is, I am afraid. I do not want to die, plain and simple.

I suppose my wish for immortality could subconsciously relate to this fear.

Snakes. I fucking hate snakes. It is one of the many things I have in common with Indiana Jones.

You're also an archeologist, but unlike Indiana Jones you don't get old and star in a movie with Shea la Bouf.

• 3 weeks later...

Mmm, what most people have said up to now, death and heights.

Death, well, it doesn't need any explanation, but I'm trying to overcome it already (sees shadowy figure with scythe, runs away)

Heights, i don't really know how, but I fear them. I can be on second floor, watch to the first one and say: "I want to jump and land on my feet!" but if I go to a third floor and watch to the first floor I say: "...Why did I look in the first place?!"

Also, being alone and dying like a loner. I WAS a loner on junior high first years and it doesn't feel good. And well, I guess there's no greater fear than die and not being remembered by anyone.

Edited by Light Lord