[OUTDATED] Elibian Nights

Arch

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent. Now you just need to figure out how to disable the terrain info window in the cave chapter (and prevent the player from turning it back on via options) in order to truly blind and troll the player.

Shouldn't be too hard to just reverse-engineer hextator's "no minimap per chapter" patch to apply to the terrain window as well.

Ah, and I suppose it wouldn't be necessary to modify how the Options screen is presented - just make it ignore whatever input the player has set for the terrain window.

Ah, and I suppose it wouldn't be necessary to modify how the Options screen is presented - just make it ignore whatever input the player has set for the terrain window.

I wasn't even thinking that.

I was thinking of just outright disabling the drawing routine for the terrain box altogether.

You're right. I was initially overthinking it with the whole Options menu thing.

You know what would be a hilarious idea? Make it so when you press A on an unit, the displayed blue movement squares ignore the terrain in the darken portions of the map. If your character hits a wall in the darken area, the exclamation point icon is displayed (like when a unit runs into an enemy in the fog) and that unit's turn ends immediately. I mean, c'mon, you are recklessly running around in a dark cave, you are bound to smack your face into walls. Of course, I am not actually suggesting this since the coding process would be nightmarish.

it actually wouldn't

find the routine that draws the blue squares (IIRC it's already documented)

disable the terrain check in a manner similar to how it's disabled when running around enemy units so it draws the range properly

run the terrain check dynamically (the same way it's done for enemy units) when the unit is actually running

call the [!] routine

etc

it wouldn't exactly be "difficult" and so much "tedious" because we'd have to locate and reverse-engineer all of that

Oh. Well, then while we're at it, lets also tack on doing 10 damage to the unit!

Character ending:

Sain ran into a wall and died. Kent facepalmed himself so hard that he died too. Lyn ran around confused while frantically screaming, "What!?"

You're right. I was initially overthinking it with the whole Options menu thing.

You know what would be a hilarious idea? Make it so when you press A on an unit, the displayed blue movement squares ignore the terrain in the darken portions of the map. If your character hits a wall in the darken area, the exclamation point icon is displayed (like when a unit runs into an enemy in the fog) and that unit's turn ends immediately. I mean, c'mon, you are recklessly running around in a dark cave, you are bound to smack your face into walls. Of course, I am not actually suggesting this since the coding process would be nightmarish.

Though it doesn't solve the movement-space idea, you can always line walls with invisible, non-interactive dud units. That way if you happen to run into a "wall" you'll still get the effect. I know Advance wars caps their units at 64 units per army, with an overall cap then at 256, but this isn't an end-all cap, by any means. You could feasibly get this gimmicky method running just fine :)

then you just need to coverup the traces of units in the unit windows, chapter info, turn (but you can just stream the same song making it like a seamless transition)

I've got the day off from finals week, and I woke up this morning determined to try something new with Elibian Nights today.

This is what I got (and it's not even lunchtime):

daynight.png

I honestly don't know how this is a "first." It was absolutely piss easy to implement time changes. I'm also working on other things to try and make the battle more dynamic. Looking at the possibility of randomized weather based on the time of day, among other things. If anyone's got any ideas on that, I'd love to hear!

Edited by Arch

:P Just like I explained in my concept of a Tactician's Tale (I think like around page 91 or somewhere near that page in this topic):

Survival Mode against Zephiel's Army (with your own Generic Army that you could level up and control and a few key characters from the series, and perhaps some custom-made characters, with a set amount of Money, and stores within the area), with a choice of any class on the tactician's character depending on what month you chose at the beginning of the entire game. Also, some story plots from both FE:7 and 6 could happen like Guinevere fleeing Bern from Zephiel to get help, and special events could happen like your Generic Army could betray you unless if you place yourself or any of the key characters near them (Loyalty/Morale), or your supply route is cut off, forcing you to survive without buying new items and weapons for quite a while. Of course, Zephiel would have his key characters with him, such as the three Dragon Generals, Idoun, and some others.

If it would happen, then I would recommend it happening at Castle Bern (Throne Takeover while the King was releasing a seal) or near one of the border points linking Bern and Sacae/Illa/Lycia (After Zephiel releases Idoun), since it would probably state that not all Bern was supporting Zephiel's decision when he came into power, and that there was some resistance put up between the people of the country before all this war began to spread in Fire Emblem 6.

Edited by EldricKnight

I wasn't really putting out a request for tale concepts, I was asking for ways to make the battle in Hector's Tale more dynamic and interesting. Thanks for your input, though.

Random weather? That will drive the low-turn players absolutely batty!

Anyways, FE7 rain/snow is really more of an annoyance. At least in indoor-outdoor hybrid chapters you can go move onto interior terrain to avoid the effects. Or alternatively, take a cue from Pokemon and give Fargus the Swift Swim ability to double his movement/speed in the rain. Fog is annoying as well, but it actually poses a threat to the player, and we would at least have Matthew.

After a heavy downpour, a flood that covers half of the map! Fargus to top tier!

If you let the battle go on too long: Day -> Dusk -> Night -> Day. Units just start randomly falling asleep on the battlefield. Go go Restore staff Serra.

If you let the battle go on too long: Day -> Dusk -> Night -> Day. Units just start randomly falling asleep on the battlefield. Go go Restore staff Serra.

Considering how we know the status byte in memory... we COULD make that happen.

Additionally! The end story scene differs based on how long you took.

Normal: Everyone is awake and alert.

Slow: Half-closed eyes on the mugs. Characters not entirely focused.

Very Slow: Everyone has closed eyes and you entertained by an engaging dialogue of "Zzzzzzz"

Okay, okay. This is all amusing but not really serious.

To be more serious, the fog-of-war condition can be applied when night rolls around. To compensate, the player can have Matthew and make a Torch item and Torch staff for Serra available somewhere. Seems like a reasonable idea to me.

High winds during rainstorms that diminish the speed of all characters by a percentage(varied based on class. Heavier units practically unaffected, light/fast units get nerf'd). Making them less effective in combat

Rain and snow are extremely pretty visual effects. Making them affect movement speed is just asking for a fist through the monitor... it does nothing but pointlessly draw out how long everything will take. It was bad enough in Pale Flower, and that at least added a tactical dimension of some sort in that you could go inside to escape the elements.

... Maybe snow deals slight damage to every unit? That sounds like a job for pointless ASM, though, and... yeah, it's a pretty shit idea. Just putting it out there.

A glitch in Pent's tale: Arriving at the exit with Canas triggers a dialogue from Hector's Story (Chapter 12, I think). I certainly wasn't expecting Hector and Serra to just appear and start talking!

Rain and snow are extremely pretty visual effects. Making them affect movement speed is just asking for a fist through the monitor... it does nothing but pointlessly draw out how long everything will take. It was bad enough in Pale Flower, and that at least added a tactical dimension of some sort in that you could go inside to escape the elements.

... Maybe snow deals slight damage to every unit? That sounds like a job for pointless ASM, though, and... yeah, it's a pretty shit idea. Just putting it out there.

They're nice visual effects. I like snow and rain. I just think their gameplay effect is horrible...