Lord of Azure Flame: Chapter 14: The mental limit

Snowy_One

"Okay, the first thing to do is learning to parry.Parrying is using your blade to deflect an opponent's weapon without actually taking the force of an attack,like blocking would. Now, we'll start with parrying stab attacks." Aiya said, taking a stance with her blade held out firmly in front of her.

"You want to hold your sword like this,and when the opponent moves to thrust, you catch the tip of the blade and push it aside with your own." Aiya said, demonstrating the correct motion.

"Now you try."

"Right then." Kelas imitated Aiya's stance, slowly replicating the parry. "I'm guessing I'm to practice this slowly until I can do it properly, then speed up?"

"That's right. Just keep going with it." Aiya replied. "I'll be back in a minute, I need to go get something. Just keep up what you're doing." Aiya said, quickly ducking into the inn.

Kelas continued to practice the parry. The motions felt alien to her; she knew she'd have to practice until they felt natural.

It didn't take very long for Aiya to return with several items. Among these were bandages, vulneraries, and a stopper for the end of a sword. Kelas was still practicing the motions.

"You're doing well. A decent amount of recruits take a while to even understand the motions at all. Of course, the nomadic tribes are known for swordsmen, maybe it'll just come to you like moths to a flame." Aiya said, noting that Kelas seemed to be doing better than she thought.

"Ehh, it feels really weird," Kelas replied, trying not to break her concentration. "'Course, so did the bow when I first started with that, so it's nothing unusual."

"Yeah. It takes a little while, but I have a hunch you're going to get it really quickly." Aiya said, as Kelas continued to practice the parrying motions.

OOC: Due to Kiryn's work schedule,this is all we have for now,but here it is. Will continue it later.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Indeed," Conrad muttered to the remark about being better off unknown. "If we go back to Eliyisma, though... there will be problems."

Meanwhile, Chase approached Viveka somewhat nervously. "Hey, Viveka? Could I talk to you alone for a second? It's important..."

Isotov Vivekins and Jazz

Viveka: Oh right. You wanted to do this yesterday, right? Sure, just one second.

She quickly wolfed down the rest of her breakfast, wiped her mouth with a napkin not missing even a spec, and then stood up from the table with her plate in hand.

Jasmine: He said it's important. I'll take the plate.

Not seeing the big deal, but also not really caring either way, Viveka handed Jasmine the plate, and hen turned back to Chase.

Viveka: Alright, lead the way.

"Mmm... I didn't mean it's so important you had to wolf down your whole breakfast..." Chase muttered. "... Viveka, about Lucille... I'm really sorry about what happened... I really don't think she could be saved at that point... but I'm worried. You're acting like yourself, but at the same time, you seem changed. If you're really angry about it, at the very least don't risk your own life in an attempt at revenge. I now a lot of people would miss you, Viveka, me included. So just keep on fighting, but keep yourself safe," he told her. By he way, I wanted you to have this," Chase added, pulling a small ruby out of his back pocket. "I don't remember where I got it or how valuable it is, but I want you to have it."

The horse whined and nudged its head into the saddlebags. "Hey, don't eat those biscuits- oh." Go figure, Heinz thought as the horse began nibbling his hand, still holding the two apples. I was going to save one to eat later, he thought for a second. One should be enough though, shrugging his shoulders and offering the other apple to the horse.

Hearing voices talking outside the stables, Heinz turned his head slightly. So that nomad wants to learn how to wield a sword? Heinz snorted. Just then the nomad opened the door, taking Amari outside. Doesn't seem like she noticed I was here, he mulled. Fine with me. The horse continued chewing on the apple, happily ignoring Heinz's musings. "I suppose I should give you a name then," closing the saddlebags properly. Hmm.... "How about Ralf?" Giving the horse a pat on the head, Heinz left the stables, heading back towards the inn.

OOC: Can a horse eat an apple whole? If not, I'll have Heinz cut it or something.

Viveka

Viveka: It's no problem. Sometimes you've got to eat fast if there's an emergency and that was a decent drill-*hic* ... crap ... anyway ...

As Chase continued, it became clear that he was worried about how she was handling Lucille's death. She was a little surprised at first.

Viveka: I'm ... trying to get passed it ... without doing anything stupid like crying or trying to hunt down that demon. Don't worry about me. I didn't get to where I am today by being moronic(though running around with demon hunters wasn't a very good career decision ...).

Next, Chase revealed a beautiful ruby, and offered it to her. Her jaw dropped and she gazed into the shiny object as if there was something long lost locked away inside. She looked it over with delight in her eyes.

Viveka: You want me to have this? Oh thank you so much, Cha- wait a second ... who did you steal this from? >_>'

"Well, I've had a lot of trouble with the law, so I know how to avoid them. We need to watch for patterns in their schedule. We be patient, that's when we run," explained Alf.

With a deep sigh, Esphyr finally seemed to get herself under control well enough to finally stand upright. "I'm fine." she said, reassuring herself, before she finally backed away from the table. What to do though? Find Damian and tell him, or seek out Tessa and ask her what had happened? Either would have been a prime answer, and thus, she choose both. Heading back for the rooms, she started to look for either of the pairing.

Eric & Dani

"We do not have much time, though," Eric pointed out. "We will have to do so soon. Also, I honestly doubt the guards are going to leave their posts. No, we will have to either get out by force, or sneak out right under their noses. The latter, preferably."

"... We can't fight them," Dani said, in a tone not like her jovial self. "That would be suicide. Two of the big three, after us. No... I've got an idea, but, I'll let Rita share hers, first."

Dani

"Let me get the materials," Dani said, nodding at the disguise suggestion. Walking over to a window, she opened it, and slipped out the window. "I'll be back in a bit!" she said, pulling her cloak up as she walked away from the inn.

"Considering the guards are right outside the room, wouldn't it be a bit suspicious for five unknown people to be exiting the room and the original five to be gone?" Charlotte asked the group.

"There has to be a way out of here though. The window maybe? We can use a distraction? I can make a break for it while you guys can get out?"

Edited by Dark Sage

Irina and Levski

Irina and Levski watched from the rooftop of the inn as Aiya and Kelas talked. Eventually the two left to the back of the inn, and only Hienz was left at the entrance. Morgan was close to the stables waiting around it seemed. Bored out of his mind, Levski decided to do his thing ...

Levski: Eeeeey!! Morgan!! Up here!!

While he waved down to her, Irina sighed and turned to the two wyverns.

Irina: He's trying to turn Morgan into our boss.

The two wyverns tilted their heads. Both of them understood what a boss was ... but a female boss. That was new ... and not exactly welcome.

"Yes, something you require of me?" Morgan said, walking up the stairs next to Lev. The walk was more difficult than it seemed and she felt slightly winded after doing it.

Irina and Levski

Lev: Yeah, two things. First off, how are you feeling? Irina's worried she might catch something from you if you're really sick.

Irina: No I'm not!

Lev: The second thing, sick or not, a true leader stays consistent, and it's about time for a review and the next lesson.

Kiev and Krinkov eyed Morgan carefully. Levski was certainly being humble around her. That was normal, but he was using strange words, and strange words meant politics. Maybe he had chosen her to be the pack leader. They both turned to each other, and then looked at her again. She seemed like she had no energy. They could both tell she was no longer healthy, yet Levski was still interested? Not only was she not fertile, but sick as well? Generosity has no place here Krinkov thought.

"Irina will not catch anything from me." said Morgan, avoiding the question somewhat "If you have something to share involving leadership, now is as good a time as any to talk." she said, cheeks flushed.

Eric

"Even if we get out of the inn through the window, or by drugging the guards, the sentries are probably informed to not let anyone matching your description out, milady," Eric said, looking away. "Perhaps we should wait for Dani to return."

Irina and That guy you wish you were

Levski: Well if you say so. Have a seat.

Irina: (Ugh)

Levski: Before we go into new tips and such, tell me how well you've been practicing what I already told you.

Irina: ("Well Mr. Levski, I've been hopping down people's throats over spilled milk and threatening them with bodily harm if they sass back! After all, these idiots must learn to comply with my demands! That is the way to gain respect, yes?" ... tch.)

Their master wasn't giving off any pheromones so mating must not have been his immediate goal. He hadn't eaten in awhile. Perhaps sick females were eaten by humans to save food for healthy humans. That seemed logical. After all, a sick human was unlikely to recover with such a small frail body. Kiev hoped that Irina never got sick, otherwise Levski might eat her ... then he'd eat Levski, and Krinkov would hurt him ... or something.

"Perhaps we should combine the two plans?" suggested Charlotte. "Drug the guards outside the door, then use disguises to avoid the rest."

Morgan raised an eyebrow at Lev. "You would already know what I've been practicing I imagine, I can tell when people are watching me you know. I have not done much leading outside of your field of vision, truth be told."

Irina and Levski

Lev: Well it's time to start. I can't be around all the time.

Irina: (Suuuure ...)

Lev: Now I already told you about leader behavior. Now it's time to go into forming a command structure. No single person can lead a group this size. You need eyes, ears, supporters, and enforcers. Eyes and Ears, are people that will keep you in the "know". Now don't pick people just because they're good at sneaking around. Pick people who actually care enough to do you favors. You also need "supporters". These are people who'll come to your side on every issue. They're just there for numbers and they're useful for throwing at people if you need breather. Enforcers are something you could definitely use right about now. These types of people will administrate physical punishment on your command. Best to hire a mercenary for these as some people have qualms about these type of thing.

Irina: (Holy wyvern, I hope that's not how he actually feels about everyone o_O' )

His mouth wasn't salivating yet. They were wondering why he hadn't eaten her yet. Perhaps all of this talking is what the pink haired one referred to as "Last Rites". But they thought that was reserved for the stick swingers to do, the ones with all the cloth on that frequented those extremely clean buildings. None of this was making any sense.

Shortly after Tessa had exitted the inn, looking for either of what could normally be termed the groups leaders, she'd heard a shout from the rooftop nearby.

"Eeeeey!! Morgan!! Up here!!" the wyvern rider that had been tagging along with them, looking after Irina, had called out.

Seeing the shaman ascend the stairs to reach him, oh Irina was there too, fair enough, Tessa decided to follow along. She might be interrupting, so she'd only discuss the suspicious behaviour, and table the personal matter for awhile longer.

Tessa arrived at the roof just as Lev was finishing up saying something, so she decided to take a chance and make an entrance.

"Umm, Sis?" she interjected, grabbing their attention, "I don't know if you've been told already, but there might be a problem. Last night, some other shaman was snooping around, asking questions about the Crimson Weapons, and wouldn't be deterred. It was like he knew they were here. Either someone's accidentally been blabbing again, or maybe worse, someone's actually letting things slip on purpose. I was too tired to get you immediately last night, and you might have been out yourself anyway. Esphyr seemed to have handled it, and I think he went away for the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me if he returns."