Lord of Azure Flame: Chapter 14: The mental limit

Snowy_One

"Damian?!" exclaimed Esphyr as the sounds of screams of pain pierced through the woodwork of the door. Esphyr's hand instinctively reached down for the doorknob, stopping herself only at the last second from flinging it open. Was it her place as an employee? Was it r-... No. It wasn't her place. It wasn't her right. And she didn't care. A quick flush of her troubadour history shot through her veins. She disliked to see people in pain, and... And... She didn't like hearing Damian in pain at all!

Drawing her sword in the event someone was inside, she turned the knob to open the door. "Damian!" The man was wreaked with pain, seemingly almost doubled over. A sudden wave of wrath stirred inside Esphyr, gnawing at that knot within her that kept the sword at bay; begging for it to be freed. A knot she would have undone, had she not rushed forwards, trying to reach his side.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Esphyr called out to him. She was at his side in a second, obviously concerned.

"E-Esphyr..." he called out weakly, reaching forward to confirm she was really there.

A flash of red. Everything was red, the walls, her skin, his arm... everything was red.

Anger. Desire. Pain. Nothingness.

The red in his vision faded.

He knew his eyes had just flashed crimson. Esphyr's reaction made it obvious that it had been visible.

'I nearly lost.'

His eyes opened again, returning to their normal navy hue.

"Esphyr... I'm fine... I just needed to... suppress it..." Damian said, hoping to reassure her, still panting heavily.

"Calm down." said Esphyr, her hand stroking his back in an attempt to soothe him. "Calm down and focus, relax and put your mind to binding it. I know it's hard, but it's what has to be done." said Esphyr, doing her best to soothe the man. She too had been through what he was going through now, when her sword had first tasted blood. The sickening knowledge that she had taken a life, and the headmasters insistence that it was not her fault had not been a help.

"Come on, stand up. I'll get you to a-" a slight wave of the nausia she had just experienced down below flowed over her body, dropping Esphyr to her knee's as her hand went to her head. "Nyung.... Let's get you... To a bed so you can rest." she said, her voice uneven. She tried to stand upright, gripping his shoulder, trying to guide him towards the bed.

Deep breaths. The intrusion on his mind was fading. Gae-Borg had given up, for now.

"I'm okay. It just came on a bit strong for a minute there... it's gone." Damian said, his breathing back to normal.

Esphyr fell to her knees and clutched her head.

"Are you sure you're okay? Esphyr?" Damian said, growing concerned about her.

"Just a bit of nausea from yesterday." she said, trying to smile it off. Even if she had not been sick though, the smile would have been uneven and far from believable. "Damian, I collapsed out on the tavern floor just now."

"What?" Damian exclaimed, bolting upright. It was a bit painful, but it didn't matter at the moment.

"Why did you come here then? Shouldn't you have gone to see a healer?"

"Heh... maybe we both need to take it easy..." Damian trailed off, and got the both of them on their feet, though rather shakily.

Leading Esphyr to the bed, he laid her down.

"I'm gonna go find Morgan. We're not leaving if you don't feel well, and I'm gonna make sure she knows that. Just stay here and relax, okay?"

Esphyr gave a grimace as she was laid into the bed. The thought of being confined to it was one she disliked immensely. Yet what was she to do? Damian was right and she knew it. It would be too easy for her to collapse again if they hit the road, and she would not get any better at all out there. Lying down, she looked up at Damian. "Better hurry up then Damian. I don't like being confined to a bed."

"If it makes you feel uncomfortable, you don't need to just lay there. Just try to relax, and don't exert yourself. Is stress is what caused this, then stressing you out is the first thing we need to avoid." Damian said, still at her side.

"I'll be back in a minute." He said, beginning to move towards the door.

"Okay. Just don't leave me here. I'm still under your employ and you can't terminate the contract after all." she said, trying to crack a weak laugh only to make a bad joke. Never the less, she reclined into the bed, no longer sure of what she could do."

OOC: Catch up post.

"This wasn't stolen!" Chase exclaimed. "It was a parting gift from my sister. Well, adopted sister. But still, I got it honestly. I don't really have any use for it... and you'd appreciate it more. I'm sure she'd understand."

Viveka

Viveka: From ... your sister ...?

Viveka had always seen Chase as a kind of little brother. Their age difference helped that mightily, but that his gift to her was from someone he thought of as his own sister warmed her heart even more than the ruby itself had.

Viveka: ... thank you, Chase.

She softly leaned in and hugged him, her arms wrapping over his shoulders, and her cchest pressing against his. It wasn't nearly as long a hug as it seemed, but she still had time to be brought back to her memories of Lars' smiling face before she finally let go of Chase.

Viveka: I promise you I'll take good care of it. (and I'm happy to know he's not stealing things. Old habits die hard.)

You saw no one on your ride at all? Even when you rode back into town? Heinz questioned quizzically. That helm of his does make it harder to see, I suppose. "I'd take speed over wearing armor, but everyone has their own tastes," shrugging his shoulders. Or their own goals. Walking towards the stable door, Heinz turned and paused slightly. "Wouldn't that armor help more if you were protecting your friends though?" he questioned. "You seemed pretty close to that thunder mage and swordsman. Why didn't go you with them to help that princess?" He jerked his head towards the left, guessing where the Halton capital was.

"Of course, any sane person would avoid tagging along with a wanted Jerdonian princess, but your friends seemed pretty dedicated to her," Heinz said, leaning against the stable door lazily.

People in the general vicinity

Isotov could barely hear what Viveka and Chase were talking about, but when he turned his head and saw them hugging, he looked back at the table and stared at the surface.

Isotov: (I know Chase knows her, but are they really that friendly with each other?)

Viveka: Just stay out of trouble for me okay? I worry about you more than myself.

Charlotte donned the cloak and applied the dark blue hair dye to herself. She tried not to think of how this looked for the moment. "Let's go." she said to Eric.

"Well, the standard rate for mercenary work around here is 10 gold pieces, that shouls be acceptable." said Morgan to Lev.

"Mmm... I'' do my best," Chase replied.

Meanwhile, Conrad walked around the inn somewhat aimlessly, upset at himself that he had been so careless with hi badge. "That's not something I can really let anyone else have. I'm such a fool," he muttered to himself, cursing under his breath.

Edited by Lightning

Seeing Esphyr had been healed and seem to be doing fine, Helios left. As he walked down the hall he noticed the angry general walking around and muttering. "Hey, General. You look pissed. Whats going on?"

"My badge got stolen. I don't even have proof that I'm a General anymore. Well, besides the fact my crest is on my armor, but still, some people might just excuse it as a forgery. The badge would be ridiculously hard to forge, mainly because nobody sees it much, but now that it's gone, so is most of my authority. Ridiculous."

Edited by Lightning

Irina and Levski

Lev: 10 gold? Heh ... fair enough. After all, I'm getting income from elsewhere right now as well, and I'll only be hurting folks as needed. You've got a deal, Morgan.

Irina: (Please Lev, not Morgan. My pride can't handle that :sob: )

Irina was giving off pheromones now. Something was up and Kiev and Krinkov knew it.

OOC: @ Lightning

Lev and Morgan are on the roof. Nobody can actually hear them.

EDIT: Added OOC

Edited by Phoenix

"... I have to talk to Morgan about getting a contract as well.. I mean, at the time, I have very little money, and if this keeps up, well, I'm in trouble," Chase muttered after hearing Lev and Morgan's deal. He interrupted the two, and asked, "That reminds me, I was going to ask for a contract as well because if I don't, well... I don't have any way to make money, so yeah, that'd be a problem. Does 20 gold for until the thing's completely done sound good? Too high or too low?, or is that good"

Edited by Lightning

OOC: He walked upstairs I guess.

"Well, you are rather necessary Chase, so I suppose you can have more gold than the others. 20 it is." Morgan replied.