Lord of Azure Flame: Chapter 17: I got nothing.

Snowy_One

Kelas had been fine with the decision to camp, not wanting to go anywhere near the city until she had to. Everything seemed to be fine, at least for the current definition of "fine," until... "...What the hell?! It... it says 'no'... oi, healer?! Someone who understands what the hell is going on?!" Kelas called as signs of dark magic once again appeared.

Arrin was glad to dismount, unbridling Francis so that the gelding could graze and sitting down as the group began to make camp. Around now he should be hungry, he realized... that was troubling.

Edited by Kiryn

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chase blushed deeply, but smiled, turning around. "Glad someone remembered... Thanks, Viveka."

Conrad raised an eyebrow, confused, but then remembered what Viveka had told him. "Ah, that's right. Happy Birthday, Chase."

Edited by Lightning

Derek

"No, I can handle this. They break easily enough, anyways," Derek said, readjusting his knuckle before spreading the tent post out. "Though, that's just because Naelia stole my gauntlets."

Viveka

Viveka: Now I don't have a present for you just yet but I'm always here, so if you need anything let me know.

Meanwhile Susann was still on edge! She was shivering a bit and her eyes were darting every which way! She'd nearly been assassinated by a thing! She couldn't allow herself to be so easily snuck up on again! That thing was creepy, and scary, and likely poisonous! It could have very well killed her, Viveka, and the entire party had she not shaken it off! She didn't know what to do! No one else was taking the thing seriously! Was she the only one who knew how dangerous tiny things were?!

Derek

"Oh, it does happen in battle. Let me tell you, holding a sword with a broken hand is awkward," Derek replied conversationally, setting up the tents' poles. "And I never said that my hands were healthy. Usable, not healthy. Besides, there's nothing I can do about it. An archsage I know tried, but failed to fix them."

Derek

"Oh, by the Goddess, no," Derek said, as the cloth of the tent was pulled up, making it complete. "You could call this a bit of a handicap, pun unintended. Only got these frail things a few years back. Anyways, that one's done," Derek said, stepping away. "Looks like the other ones are up."

"Yeah," said Alferis, finishing his own tent. "I want you to be careful ok? Don't want anymore dead people. Besides, your sister would lose it if you died.

Edited by Dark Sage

Derek

"Heh, I don't plan on dieing anytime soon," Derek said, double checking the tent. "Not until Jace bites it, at least. Speaking of fighting, though, I've noticed something about your style, Alferis. You tend to use jump strikes, when attacking. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, since that's what most non-precision sword and lance-wielders attack like, but the problem is, you're using an axe. If you miss, you'll be cut into ribbons, no offense. What I suggest you do is focus on ground-based strikes. It would help you avoid more hits, that way."

"Thanks for the tip," said Alferis nodding. "Actually, Dani suggested that I should spar with you and I'm not sure if Esphyr and Aiya are up to it, so if it's ok, I'd like to spar with you."

The group had halted at a small copse of woods that lined the road they had been travelling. The rest of the way was all downhill, which afforded them a good view of Burgosas, despite the fact that it was probably yet some four hours distant. Tessa was uneasy, and desired to press on, even though the sun was just dipping below the horizon, and providing a splendid show as the oranges and reds played out across the clouds.

Turning to Arrin, she started to complain, "We can still press on... why are we stopping. We'll have yet another thing stolen on the morrow, and the longer we leave Charlotte with Jace..." shaking her head, she didn't want to finish that thought.

Before the boy had a chance to reply though, a call out of "Oi, need a healer here!" caught her attention. And it was coming from Kelas, no less. While pretty sure the call wasn't for aid for herself, as the nomad seemed to prefer to hide her own injuries, the fact that there was something warranting her attention caused the troubadour to drop her complaints and head over straightaway.

Arriving from behind Isotov, Tessa couldn't see any immediate sign of distress, and was forced to simply ask, "What seems to be the matter?"

Derek

"... I could spar with you, but I'd much prefer it would be after we reach the capital," Derek said, straightening up. "We really don't need someone else injured at the moment."

Derek

"... Not anymore, I'm not," Derek said, freezing. "Who told you that? I never said a word about it."

"Heard it from Eric," said Alferis. "When we split up, Eric and I talked for a bit. And he said he was a noble and he met you in school or something. I don't remember exactly. So I figured you were a noble."

Luc Altair

Once the others had decided to set up camp, Luc had ordered Fargo to assist in preparations, once again much to the man's dismay. Luc meanwhile patrolled the outer edges of the assigned area to look for any trouble or hiding places. There was a decent one behind a fallen tree, so Luc hacked the branches apart and made it a less useful location to hide. Even so close to the capital caution was still on his mind. They were going to need to put up a watch scheduel as well. Luc was already going to volunteer Fargo for first duty. And since the group had a rather large amount of members, duel-watchers might be a good idea.

Nothing seemed to be the matter... Isotov had turned around, and the only thing written on his face was perhaps a faint expression of surprise, and Tessa couldn't figure out just why she'd been summoned.

"Kelas, Isotov?" she simply asked, prompting for more information.

Derek

"... Eric's pretty much my adoptive brother," Derek said, looking away. "Like, since he was brought into our house, we've been raised together, trained together, fought together... But anyways, I don't think it's Eric who said he was a noble. It would be unlike him."

"He is? I didn't know you were that close. I'm curious about Jerdon though. I've never been there, so what was it like before Jace invaded?"

--------

Reika

Meanwhile, Reika had been staying out of site, pondering on what happened to her.

I obey my evil side? There's no such thing as good and evil. Maybe it has to do with the severing. But that would explain why everyone always sees me as a monster. But I hate to admit it, but sometimes it hurts a very little to be seen that way.

Wait. Why am I thinking about this? Dammit, I'm going to beat up that wind mage tonight. That'll shake me out of it. Why do I even care? I never about this before.

Edited by Dark Sage

Isotov

Suddenly, Iso felt another surge of energy surround his entire head, and then another set of letters appeared, glowing on the surface of his forehead!

From one

practitioner

to another

Do not interfere ...

Tessa was waiting for an explanation, but none was yet forthcoming... until letters started to play themselves across Isotov's forehead. The whole affair was mystifying, though, and she had no clue what could possibly be the cause, or what should be done.

"Uhh..." she stammered, "I've never seen anything like this...."

She reached for her Restore staff, then stopped. Would it even have any effect? she wondered. The letters were still being written, and perhaps interfering would be dangerous. For the moment, she couldn't think of anything to do but commit the message to memory, and watch and see what might develop.

Edited by Balcerzak

"What the... 'From one pr--'...I can't even read all of that! We should... probably get Morgan over here, too," Kelas said grudgingly. "I have no idea what's going on, other than that it shouldn't be. Whoever the hell's doing this, you knock him or anyone else of ours out again and I'll kill you," she warned the letters, before turning to Tessa. "I'm going to go get Morgan, Tessa, stay a moment in case anything happens?" She turned and went to look for the shamaness.

OOC: Think I've mentioned before that Kelas is only semi-literate?

Morgan saw Kelas walking towards her, which she found rather odd. Kelas usually didn't approach her unless she had to. Morgan looked around and noticed something glowing on Isotov's head. Passing Kelas, she walked over to investigate and narrowed her eyes at the result.

"Do not interfere? How completely hypocritical. I wouldn't be interfering in your mission if you wouldn't be draining the life force of my companions." Morgan said to no one in particular.