• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Kiryn just yells at stuff"
XD

@Minds

I'm not sure you got my meaning with my comment so I'll say it more clearly. Though now that I think about it, being religious it'd go the other way for you.

My remark meant "The mind created God, making him inferior to us? XD" But I suppose in your mind God created us.... or whatever.

@Minds2

It depends on how you look at it. I mean I know if I someone was pointing a knife at me, I wouldn't fight back. Not initially at least anyway But in an RP I'm willing to give my character more courage, more skill and pretty much more of everything. In terms of thinking, I'd say I could make my character do smarter things then myself, simply because my character has ample thinking time. If a car was speeding towards me, I'd have to take the first action that comes to mind. Whereas my character can freeze time and chose the most suitable option.

I'm not sure but I think Phoenix is referring in terms of creativity, whereas I agree, you can't make your character do things unless you've thought about them in your mind. Restricting action taken by your character to your creativity. In terms of "The Brute" I think you're describing something along the lines of what I said above, with the Brute being able to make better decisions then yourself. Not sure though since I don't know what "The Brute" is :P

@RP

With the exclusion of stats, I think the only thing left for me to do is an opening post. And finish the "cultures" of each nation. To be honest, I didn't think I'd need to do cultures, so if there's anything else people think I should add, I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT

Okay, then maybe it's something else XD Can I supply the theory that it's actually e_s dead twin brother possessing him when he writes posts for the brute?

Edited by Kanami

I disagree. I am nowhere near as smart as The Brute.

This. Just add "Jace" before "The".

I'm pretty much an idiot, so, yeah. =/

This is an interesting concept. I may be tempted to join, provided I can think up something.

XD

@Minds

I'm not sure you got my meaning with my comment so I'll say it more clearly. Though now that I think about it, being religious it'd go the other way for you.

My remark meant "The mind created God, making him inferior to us? XD" But I suppose in your mind God created us.... or whatever.

Quick bit and then I'll let this die with whatever your response is. If the mind created God then God is inferior to us. It would have to be seeing as he would be limited to our mental capacity.

@Minds2

It depends on how you look at it. I mean I know if I someone was pointing a knife at me, I wouldn't fight back. Not initially at least anyway But in an RP I'm willing to give my character more courage, more skill and pretty much more of everything. In terms of thinking, I'd say I could make my character do smarter things then myself, simply because my character has ample thinking time. If a car was speeding towards me, I'd have to take the first action that comes to mind. Whereas my character can freeze time and chose the most suitable option.

I'm not sure but I think Phoenix is referring in terms of creativity, whereas I agree, you can't make your character do things unless you've thought about them in your mind. Restricting action taken by your character to your creativity. In terms of "The Brute" I think you're describing something along the lines of what I said above, with the Brute being able to make better decisions then yourself. Not sure though since I don't know what "The Brute" is :P

Well that's just it really. You're explaining what I mean in a way. When it comes to characters they can sometimes appear smarter than us because their reactions can be more sensible than ours would be in the same situation. The difference is the time we have to come up with these decisions and how they effect us personally.

Eg: If I was dumped by a girl I would probably take it ... not so well, but if one of my characters was dumped by a girl, they would take it however I want them to.

That doesn't make them superior thinkers, only advantaged thinkers. In terms of actual superiority, they can't surpass our level of thinking simply because their functions all come from us(if they have time to react in a smarter way, that is actually us reacting in a smarter way). Any decision an rp character makes was made by the rper first. There's no getting around that :lol:

Okay enough of my pushy philosophical madness.

@ RP

How soon are you starting this?

@Minds

Nyergh? What about calculators? I can say I want to keep tripling an integer. Originally I'd get the result faster then a calculator (1X3)however once the number increase into the ten thousand region I'm not so sure. I doubt that would change even if I knew how to put together a calculator. It's a faster better thinker? XD

@RP

Undecided, I originally was planning to start it on a Friday. So people would have the weekend to get used to things. But if I only need to fill in cultures, I should have that done before I go to sleep today. So I'm not sure.

I know "I might join" usually results in people not joining. I've done it myself to splicing competitions. However the original setup for this would be possible to start with just two people. (Including myself) so that's one factor I'm not too sure about, definitely within the next week though. Possibly tomorrow, possibly next Friday.

Edited by Kanami

@ Minds

Yay! I was hoping someone would challenge me on that!

Anyway the difference between a calculator and the human mind is that it isn't actually superior. It just like an rp character is advantaged(preprogrammed and one track to boot). Instead of having more time to think, it is made to think faster. If put into a competition then you can call a calculator superior, but the truth is, the human mind hasn't been able to forge a mind that is greater than itself in all areas. A calculator is inferior to the human mind and here's why. The calculator can solve a math problem faster than you can, but it doesn't know what a math problem is. It's a set of machanical reactions controlled by the mind. If anything a calculator is an external processor meant only to improve the human mind itself. Interesting.

True superiority stems from being better in primary areas if not all areas. A.I. is probably the closest thing to that but it still doesn't cover every aspect of the mind.

... in my humble opinion :D

@ RP starting time

I should probably think of a character at some point then ... ... that or I could haphazardly do what I did the first time and come up with one after reading the OP.

Edited by Phoenix

So, upon realizing that I would probably overextend myself if I joined this, I will have to decline for the moment. Depending on how the story/writing/whatever is later, when I'm less busy with both life and onlinity, I'll consider joining then, but, we'll see.

@Mind Calculators

It all depends on your definition of superior, as a whole. Yes, calculators are inferior, due to their inability to comprehend what a problem is, hell they can't even calculate without external influences (button pushing). However it is superior then the mind at processing information and coming up with a correct solution. I'm superior to all of you at speaking Japanese (I would hope). But that does not make me a superior being, or superior at language as a whole.

In the same sense, an RP character could be considered superior to their controller, as they react more intellectually then their real life originators. This doesn't make the character smart per se, but as Purg stated, there are cases which can make the character seem smarter.

Another friendly example, Esphyr is a needy emo whore, that does not mean Snowy needs to be more of an emo whore then Esphyr.

@Commencement

I'll post an OP soon (today or tomorrow). But for the sake of character planning for those of you who want to jump the gun characters will be required to start in Talgusta, (preferably siding with Crestia) as the RP will start in Fort Talgusta and it's surroundings. The first few posts will be non-plot progressive, since I want people to display their characters core belief, form friendships etcetc. And soon after I will cause an event to occur.

Characters can be from any nation, but preferably not Granford. Likewise healers and religious folk most likely have returned or sided with Granford so players who were planning to make characters in either of those areas should contact me with an application before posting to avoid having their application toasted.

This will all be summarised in a later post, but only one character per person to start things off. You can spawn random soldiers, mercenaries but these characters should die or leave within the first few chapters.

@Kiryn

Not that specific post, but I asked a few people for their opinions on other RP'ers and two responded that you were a grouchie that yelled at everyone. XD (Sounds like me actually)

@Purg

That's fine, and I'm glad you've withdrawn (/bitch). Honestly though, if you feel like your over-exerting yourself by joining then it's probably best to wait awhile. There's no need for all characters to be present at the starting point, and mid-point entries are always welcome.

Edited by Kanami

A few questions of my own.

1) What is the feel you are trying for? A light hearted rp, a dark and serious RP, one in which people focus on character and community, or on plot and progression?

2) What do you expect the average post length to be and/or the average amount of posts per day (obviously doesn't need to be exact. But a guess would be nice)

3) How do you intend to run this RP? Will you be taking a casual GM role, working in a ruleset and punishing those who escape, or railroading?

@ Minds

Well you of course have a point when aiming at certain functions (which is why I stay the hell away from those and focus on core/primary/and/or/overall functions of the mind). But overall a calculator is little more than a set of functions waiting to be prompted by a mind. faster thinker? Yes, but only able to think about math(while a human mind can touch on science or literature), and only the math/operational fuctions it was programmed with by said mind.

It's kind of like having a child that's better at doing a particular thing than you are (better than you at something or not, the child is still only ten years old whereas you are twenty-nine with a master's degree in some random thing) :lol:

@ Esphyr

Snowy of course does not need to surpass Esphyr in these areas directly since mentally he's already capable of doing so, just like Psych is capable of being a completely insane gender blind sword swinging wacko. He doesn't have to prove he can be like that, he's demonstrating that capacity just by having Rita do it.

Wow, Snowy... asking good questions.... must refrain from making snide remarks..... oops XD

1) I'm not sure what type of RP I'm aiming for, probably a more serious RP then a comical one though. That said, I don't want dark emo moments where everyone is complaining about how their life sucks. (Though I do encourage character having internal problems that solve themselves (or not) through the course of the RP). I've stated this in the opening I think but my belief is that an RP is based on interactions. And I'm personally hoping the characters people will make will be more interesting then the world I've created so far. Plot is significant in an RP, but due to it's malleable nature, the focus for people should be interactions, plot, then everything else.

2)

Average post length: I don't know, and I can't make any guesses since I'm not the RP'ers. However I frown upon one liners. And each post should be a minimum of at least 3~4 sentences. "Bob nodded his head and followed Cindy" alone is not enough. If you've got nothing else to write, comment on what Bob thought/feels, what Bob thinks Cindy is up to, perhaps even what Bob is looking at (If anyone else is around, up ahead to see where they're going, Cindy's backside etcetc)

Average number of posts per day: Again I can't give a definitive answer. Though I would hope an average RP'er would post 2~4 times a day. So if I get 5 Rp'ers A page a day. If more then upto 2 pages a day. I'm not actually trying to slander LoAF (this time around only). But I don't want to wake up to 5 pages (100posts) and then find that by the time I've read it all, I've got another 2 pages to read >_<. Furthermore, since I want to focus heavily on interaction, I don't want to create a scenario where people have to cut off conversion for the sake of making the plot progress.

Like someone(Purg? CATS?) said, we all have lives outside Serenes, and I know I don't want to sacrifice my sleep time, social lifedon't have one or work/educational commitments to be online and have an active role in this. If you're seeking something active then there'll be three RP's here once this gets going, and I'm sure "super actives" can find other things to do if three RP's isn't enough :/

3) I want to railroad it off a cliff Due to the nature of the RP, I don't really have solid elements like you did. (Helenos Swamp incident). As you've probably experienced my actions are rather spontaneous with the first option usually being fire related, so I'm open to adopting a similar policy to you and letting people take ahold of the plot at times. I guess a casual GM works better. I'm sure we can all agree I'm not a GM type of person anyway.

EDIT

I'm going to head to sleep for today, still need to write up "culture"-esqe things for Granford and Crestia, I could probably rush something now, but being the two main nations want to think it over a bit more before reaching conclusions.

Edited by Kanami

@RPer abilities You can make a character smarter than yourself, but you're still limited to some extent. If you're a doofus, you're going to end up doing things you think are intelligent when they really aren't at all.

@Post frequency I doubt that this will be a problem until summer/other holidays, since LoAF has slowed down considerably since school started. More obligations and such.

@Regarding the RP

I was planning to give people an opportunity to gather in one spot but I guess people would rather do their own thing. No big deal, though you'll probably be lumped into one group sooner or later.

@Cats

<3 That post XD I was hoping someone tell him off, but you exceeded expectations by referring to the woman status in Izuna XD

@Psych.... or whatever you're called now

Naomi is where? I was hoping that characters would start near Talgusta, you sound like you're still in Tolmaeus, there's no need to join up with the group immediately, but it would be preferred that you weren't 1/4 way across the continent XD

@Snowy

No inns in the fort :/ It's a military institution, why would their be a public inn situated within? I'm just going to assume you entered the nearby town (Elrest) which would likewise have guards stationed, and mercenaries going in and out.

@Fort

Usually I could see it going both ways, since I disagree that "most" cities are walled cities. But since I'd established that the Fort had been abandoned/poorly kept, and the general areas in the first post. I'm just going to let you decide what you want to do. (Realign to the the city or walk into the fort and find that there's no inn)

@Psych

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. If you're referring to Talgusta then the general/commander would have his own quarters but why he'd be paying for Tolmaean expeditions, and working on behalf of the Academy's interest is something I'm not understanding. Or did you mean you're in the Directors building in Veldiva/Tolmaeus? But then the "Duke" statement makes no sense, since Tolmaeans are devided on academy and non-academy. Not nobles and peasants like Crestia is.

Edited by Kanami

Hmmm. I'm not sure myself. Maybe there's a director in the fort? She was supposed to get her materials from the armory. And also I said she's stuck in the fort for tonight. They could be two different people, or the same one, it doesn't really matter.

She only said it would be in his interest. He may not be working for the Academy.

Naomi: "I-W-Well, no not yet. But I'm sure it'd be in the interests of the academy to continue exploration."

General: "And why should I care about the interests of the academy? What do I get out of this?"

Secondly, a normal general wouldn't have the power to spend funds on foreign projects. Nevermind budget is pretty tight due to war starting. And from my understanding this "expedition" is in Savarda? I really doubt we'll be heading to the desert anytime soon. Even if you suggested the idea, Sage would probably shoot it down (which can be overturned if you can get the rest of the players on your side). Talgusta isn't even adjacent to Savarda now that I think about it XD