Introducing someone to the FE series.

Fei Mao

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which one out of the choices below?

• FE1 (Dark Dragon and Sword of Light)
    • FE2 (Gaiden)
    • FE3 (Mystery of the Emblem)
    • FE4(Genealogy of the Holy War)
    • FE5(Thracia 776)
    • FE6(Sword of Seals)
    • FE7(Blazing Sword)
    • FE8(The Sacred Stones)
    • FE9(Path of Radiance)
    • FE10(Radiant Dawn)
    • FE11(Shadow Dragon)
    • FE12(New Mystery of the Emblem)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE7: Pros - Invasive tutorial leaves little room for error while learning the basics. As mentioned before easy to recover from mistakes. Narrative and gameplay designed for newcomers.

Cons - The new player may want more breathing room than the tutorial allows.

I don't think a new player really knows what to expect, so they'd just play through the tutorial without complaint. I don't think they'd get too fussy unless they're finding it too easy, which probably wouldn't happen unless they had prior experience with Fire Emblem or other SRPGs.

If you give a first-timer a game other than FE7 to play first, they're probably not going to enjoy FE7 as much when they do get around to it. And that would be a crying shame.

Last I recall it might've been Lance.

Lance is fe6 and not the jeigen unit. dondon was only talking about the unit that some call the jeigen. "that awesome paladin" as stated by the guy to whom dondon responded was likely a reference to the first Paladin that shows up. fe6 Marcus, fe7 Marcus, fe8 Seth, fe9 Titania, fe11 Jagen, fe12 Arran. dondon suggested that 3 of these are the best unit in their game.

If you give a first-timer a game other than FE7 to play first, they're probably not going to enjoy FE7 as much when they do get around to it. And that would be a crying shame.

A crying shame that has already happened, seeing as I started with FE10...

Seth

Titania

is the third fe7 Marcus?

Yes. I thought this had been well established...

Yeah, I'm a little bit non-plussed too, because I know that WINdell is over Jagen in the FEDS tier list.

Wendell is awesome, but Jagen is still high tier. Or, if he's not, then he's definitely a quality character worthy of high tier.

I picked FE8 for that (BTW, this was for a 10-year-old, who plays every game on the hardest level available). Worked fine. I don't think FE7 is good, because a first-timer might think that the entire game would continue the forced hand-holding. That's no fun, even for newbies.

I'd never let a newbie play FE1/FE2/FE3/FE4/FE5/FE6/FE10/FE12. It'd be too hard for them. Although FE4, FE5, and FE12 are some of the best.

That leaves FE7, FE8, FE9, and FE11.

I'm going with FE7 and FE8 as a close second. FE8 only if people don't like the forced tutorials. ; w ;

Well, taking into consideration how the people I know work, I'd actually recommend FE4 first. Why? The story. Simple as that.

And FE4 is easy, let's face it. It's very different, but easy, especially if you're not used to small maps of other FE's.

Otherwise, FE7 though

Between FE6-FE9, FE DS, and FE3 DS, in 3 of those cases that character is the best in the game, and in the other 3 he's a high tier character.

In terms of tier listing, yeah. In regards to new players and the effects those characters can have on players' strategies (favoring lower potential units at the detriment of a more balanced army), I can see what he's getting at.

Voted for FE9, by the way. Great game with a smooth learning curve without the forced side-story tutorial of FE7.

Edited by tiff

In terms of tier listing, yeah. In regards to new players and the effects those characters can have on players' strategies (favoring lower potential units at the detriment of a more balanced army), I can see what he's getting at.

What part of FE7 Marcus, Seth, or Titania "isn't that great?" And since when was a balanced army a good thing in FE?

Edited by dondon151

What part of FE7 Marcus, Seth, or Titania "isn't that great?" And since when was a balanced army a good thing in FE?

Sure, for them. If you have Seth go after bosses and kill stuff on the way while your other units try to gather exp elsewhere you should be perfectly fine in fe8. fe9 has bexp, so as long as a player is smart enough not to dump all their bexp on Titania they'll be fine. Just let her kill bosses (and whatever is in the way). And in a few chapters do other things too rather than take the quickest path to the boss.

fe6 Marcus, however, you'll run into problems if you let him kill everything early on. Of course, he can't, really soon actually. So it's probably not an actual problem since even inexperienced players that know nothing of growths should be forced to spread the exp a little bit. Not sure about fe11 and fe12 as I've never played. Is it possible to screw yourself by overusing Jagen and Arran?

And yeah, a balanced army is generally not a good thing. 3 or 4 really great units with another 3 or 4 okay units is generally enough.

fe6 Marcus, however, you'll run into problems if you let him kill everything early on. Of course, he can't, really soon actually. So it's probably not an actual problem since even inexperienced players that know nothing of growths should be forced to spread the exp a little bit. Not sure about fe11 and fe12 as I've never played. Is it possible to screw yourself by overusing Jagen and Arran?

Definitely FE12. The gloss on his prepromote status fades really, really fast. He practically has to go Sniper/Swordmaster to double, and any class but General will get him 2HKOed. So after even just one or two chapters he's on par with your unpromoteds.

Definitely FE12. The gloss on his prepromote status fades really, really fast. He practically has to go Sniper/Swordmaster to double, and any class but General will get him 2HKOed. So after even just one or two chapters he's on par with your unpromoteds.

Then it's similar to fe6. Even a newbie won't feed entire maps to him since it's not nearly as easy as doing so with Seth or Titania.

Are you talking about the lowest difficulties here? Because it's probably worth pointing out that your average newcomer isn't going to start with Lunatic. And then, even if they did, after the first two chapters, if they got that far, would probably realize how ridiculous it is and go to Normal.

Are you talking about the lowest difficulties here? Because it's probably worth pointing out that your average newcomer isn't going to start with Lunatic. And then, even if they did, after the first two chapters, if they got that far, would probably realize how ridiculous it is and go to Normal.

I think even in fe6 NM it's kinda difficult to give Marcus entire maps. It's been a while since I played anything but HM on that, though. As for fe12, I've never played so I wouldn't know how well Arran can do if you let him loose. Besides, if your other units can catch up to him quickly then it would perhaps prevent people from trying anyway even on NM.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

FE7, as it is made for introducing boatloads of silly people outside Japan to Fire Emblem. If not that, than FE11, as it is easy to play and the tutorials and prologue at the beginning are great for easying someone into the game, and not as harrying as Lyn and her forcing you to do all sorts of ridiculous things. However, Shadow Dragon lacks alot of game mechanics that the other games have, so FE7 is really the best to be introduced to the grand scope of things.

Path of Radiance is also a very solid choice (This one was my recruiter) as it is more up to date with how the Fire Emblem series is moving now, and is on a more robust scale than FE7 in terms of mechanics, I think, so either one will suffice.

FE9 is the best one to start out with. I say this because it isn't too hard and it introduces them to some basic concepts of FE. My first FE was FE8 but I was far more comfortable with FE9 as a beginner. FE9 was the first FE I beat. I have to say, though, FE8 was good for me to start on. I learned some basics and toughened up. When I played FE8 (my first one cimmitted suicide at CH10) again it was much easier after playing through FE9 (previously I used Seth more than I think I should have and I ddin't know about being able to go to the shops and such on the map lol). I haven't finished playing FE8 yet, but I'm much happier with this run-through than I was the last one. I credit that to FE9.

Edited by Mercakete

• 2 weeks later...

FE11.

As much as I hate to say it, the Skill system isn't a part of core fire emblem, just because FE4 is so loved doesn't make it so.

That being said, I think FE is a lot easier to swallow if it can be played anywhere so it's less invasive on your schedule, which would be attractive to new players (and really what turn-based strategy is about), so pretty much 1-5 and 9-10 is out, that leaves 6 - 8 and 11-12.

6 and 12 are imports, so barring some shenanigans these won't be played. So it leaves 7 8 and 11.

7 is, imo, a bit higher on the difficulty curve than 11. 8 is not only too easy, but it all in all felt more like a deviation from FE (like Gaiden was).

So 11 is the only logical choice. It's newer too, going to be difficult tracking down a FE7 cart with a working battery.

And about 11 being lacking, that's actually a bonus. Thus when you approach other titles, you'd feel like you're getting more, as opposed to getting stripped of. My friend who started on 9 and 10 is still having withdrawal symptoms about the skill system every time he approaches the DS games. That and FE11 has an actual multiplayer mode.

The two complaints though I have against 11 is that Marth is the convoy (making marth soloes pretty easy), and that it encourages you to sacrifice units, which most people won't.

Edited by AKFrost

And about 11 being lacking, that's actually a bonus. Thus when you approach other titles, you'd feel like you're getting more, as opposed to getting stripped of. My friend who started on 9 and 10 is still having withdrawal symptoms about the skill system every time he approaches the DS games. That and FE11 has an actual multiplayer mode.

I really agree with this part. I started with FE7, then FE6, and when FE8 came I was fascinated by the new classes and such and I was even more fascinated when I found FE4 and FE5 and their skill system. When I played FE11, while I enjoyed forging and reclassing, I really missed having more than one type of magic, staff animations, etc.