Advice for FE4.

Darros

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this still never answered my question really, but I guess I will go with the recommanded run. I still have not done a lot of those pairing before. I'm bias towards having azel+lachesis for useful healer and combat unit with Nanna. And not pairing anyone with lex seems a waste not to use. Aira+Lex all the time.

Nanna does just fine with a Relive staff. 20 + 2x magic. Even with like 5 magic that's still 30 hp. Enough for most emergency healing. Statistically she's probably better off with Beowulf as the father. Or maybe Fin if you are masochistic. Prayer and a +5 speed convo that happens pretty early (before her first chapter is over, even).

Nanna won't likely get to be 2HKOing much with magic swords for a long time (if ever) even with Azel as a father, so the better arena performance from Beo/Fin as a father is probably more worthwhile. 2-rounding with magic swords vs. 2-rounding with magic swords and having a better performance in the arena. Choice seems obvious. She'll have higher levels and thus do even better in chapters. She does fine with Silver Sword + Earth/Fire anyway. And with Beo she'll sometimes just decide to KO things with Charge 'cause she's hardcore like that.

Frankly, I've done both Azel x Lachesis and Beowulf x Lachesis (and Alec in my first playthrough) and so far the Beo version is much better. I think. Largely due to Delmud, though.

And now she's got 24 str and 20 def. I love it. Azel causes skill problems, too. And durability. Mostly for Delmud though, since Nanna gets more of Lachesis and less of her father. Azel!Nanna is arguably better than Beo!Nanna since she loses str by 2 or 3 points for a while but has more spd (by 1 to 2). However the 2 str can make a difference in the arena, as I mentioned earlier. Plus with Fin as a father this spd advantage is gone.

For Delmud, you are looking at as much as a 6 str difference between Azel and Beo versions of Delmud. This is at level 13. That's a pretty large difference. Difference between Silver Sword and Silver Blade. Which also makes a 20 hit difference. Which is more like a 26 hit difference due to Azel's bad skill. If you want to take the sword away from Nanna or someone.

Even though Delmud eventually caps str anyway and has more spd with Azel, Beo!Delmud has been much more useful than the Azel version was last time.

One question, are there some easy ways to train mages and thieves (except overpowered characters like Levin and Sety) other than stealing kills every single time? My main problem is that their moves are so little, that by the time they reach the enemy area the mounted and other foot units already mob out the enemy batches. They can't be put up in front because they're so weak and hardly dodges. And I do consider giving them leg rings, but then again leg rings are pretty rare, and I prefer giving the only leg ring I have to Levin/Sety to make them more efficient...

Any suggestions?

^ Which is why in all my playthroughs, Azel, Tiltyu, Tinny, Arthur, Dew and Patty remains in pretty low level. I heard that they are pretty rocking once they promoted, but it's such a chore. I tried training Arthur once, the result is usually all the enemies start targeting him, or he moves to slow to match other units. I would considering stealing kills, but I rather giving my kills to units like Leaf so that he can promote to Master Knight as soon as possible...

Thieves are tough to train at the best of times, my only advice is let Dew have the Elite ring for a little and steal kills. The mages can manage by sitting behind the frontline when attacking a large group and clean up after the cavalry. They're also not bad for taking out armours with high defense.

Well, might as well try once again.

I got to Gen 2 once again and I'm planning the pairs there already.

So far, this is what I thought to do:

CelicexLana

SkasaherxJulia

ShananxLakche

SetyxTinny

LeafxNanna

AlessxLeen

OifayexFee

Suggestions, other couples, tips are welcome before I fail.

Well, might as well try once again.

I got to Gen 2 once again and I'm planning the pairs there already.

So far, this is what I thought to do:

CelicexLana

SkasaherxJulia

ShananxLakche

SetyxTinny

LeafxNanna

AlessxLeen

OifayexFee

Suggestions, other couples, tips are welcome before I fail.

I think 2nd gen pairings are more based on preferences, since it won't get you much stats boost? Either you make it by preference or try to get ones that will net you lovers dialogue.

My only difference with your list is that I pair Fee with Arthur. They have more dialogues, and a bit more canon in a sense, I think (though pairing them will take patience because the big gap between Arthur's and Fee's movement).

A-and also Celice x Julia, if you want

Well, I mean, they're not really something people will care enough about to advise someone on or debate about.

First gen pairings are extremely important, but generally speaking, any of the pairings will create units superior to the first gen units and the second gen isn't that hard due to that. Unless you're playing that patch you can find on this site. That shit is gdlk and way better than vFE4.

Arthur and Fee aren't too hard to pair. With 100 base points and a conversation worth another 100, they only need to be next to each other for 50 turns. Considering nothing good happens from pairing them until half way through the final chapter it can be done at a fairly leisurely pace. Oifaye doesn't really do much when paired with Fee, other than giving himself a stat boost.

Although I do find it funny pairing Celice with Nanna, that must make him very popular with Aless and Leaf.

I like making it easier to get the Knight Ring to the gen2 dancer. I'd probably never use Berserk anyway, the barrier sword might be nice but isn't a huge loss, and the extra charisma is about the same as the barrier sword. Not having to scrape up 60000 for the dancer to get Knight Ring + Leg Ring once Celice promotes and instead only having to find 20000 is worth so much more to me.

It might be my bad-playing style, but most of the time I fail getting Knight Ring. The 3 Nodion Knights's AIs are a bit infuriating, since they have the tendency to charge everything in their range and as the result, usually they get ambushed by the enemies. Because in most of my gameplays I try to train Lachesis as soon as possible, usually I tend to bring Lachesis upfront to steal some exp (as well pairing her with Finn - so Finn won't be rendered useless if I make him stay back with Lachesis) - this makes the knights to reach the enemies range and so, yeah.

Advice, please?

It might be my bad-playing style, but most of the time I fail getting Knight Ring. The 3 Nodion Knights's AIs are a bit infuriating, since they have the tendency to charge everything in their range and as the result, usually they get ambushed by the enemies. Because in most of my gameplays I try to train Lachesis as soon as possible, usually I tend to bring Lachesis upfront to steal some exp (as well pairing her with Finn - so Finn won't be rendered useless if I make him stay back with Lachesis) - this makes the knights to reach the enemies range and so, yeah.

Advice, please?

Don't worry too much about the Knight Ring. In my opinion, the Knight Ring isn't worth the effort if you're trying to train Lachesis at the start, however it is easy to get if you plant Lachesis in a corner somewhere but that'd be a waste of Charisma.

Use downtime to heal the knights. There is lots of downtime in that chapter. Or just include them in your regular decision tree when choosing who to heal.

That, and with careful unit positioning they won't be wtfpwned during enemy phase. (But your people might be. Hmm.)

About the knight ring, I was able to get it on my first playthrough while training Lachesis at the same time. Granted, it took me several trips to the reload save state button to do so(and I had to keep Fin near Lachesis, which was a double fault since I had so much crap to deal with and I wanted Lach promoted before Eltosian showed his ass in C3 AND paired with Fin.), and there were a few instances where I needed to keep the knights away from open combat(Voltz's FreeNite squad, the platoon surrounding Clement's castle, and Zain I's cavalry squad.), but in the end I was able to get the knight ring(that part with Clement's forces was a pain. I could have used Ardan(a Lv21 General at the time)to cockblock them, but I needed him to guard Evans since Fury's forces would've captured it otherwise.)

And no, Deirdre doesn't pass shit onto Julia. If that was the case, then she'd come with good stuff like Aura and Silence.

Dierdre isn't even nice enough to pass down stats to Julia, she's treated as a static character :P. I also struggle keeping the Nodion Kamikaze Brigade alive. I guess keeping Lachesis away from the action until it's relatively safe is the best course of action.

About the knight ring, I was able to get it on my first playthrough while training Lachesis at the same time. Granted, it took me several trips to the reload save state button to do so(and I had to keep Fin near Lachesis, which was a double fault since I had so much crap to deal with and I wanted Lach promoted before Eltosian showed his ass in C3 AND paired with Fin.), and there were a few instances where I needed to keep the knights away from open combat(Voltz's FreeNite squad, the platoon surrounding Clement's castle, and Zain I's cavalry squad.), but in the end I was able to get the knight ring(that part with Clement's forces was a pain. I could have used Ardan(a Lv21 General at the time)to cockblock them, but I needed him to guard Evans since Fury's forces would've captured it otherwise.)

That's what Levin is for. Fury won't start going towards Evans until after you conquer Anphony (she's not even on the map until then) and she takes a while to get to Evans even once she starts going. This gives you plenty of time to have someone with Return or Warp reach Levin and send him to Evans. He can protect the castle by himself.

And if he can't handle it on his own, or you are worried he won't be able to, you are probably warping and returning the units that helped conquer Anphony so that they can get to Mackily faster. I'm not certain if it's faster to warp them to Evans or Heirhein (I think it's about the same), but the ones that get "Return"ed will obviously be at Evans.

also, no thanks, I generally don't want Aura. Only when Julia won't double anyway (and faces something that can't counter) I suppose it would be nice. It's only +10 hit (and +6 mt) on Resire.

I pass Silence down through Aideen anyway, so I don't care about that. Besides, it's not like I'd go through chapters 3 to 5 without at least having the option of Silence anyway. No benefit even if Diadora could pass down staves.

Only think I really miss having is Circlet. Prayer + Life. Awesome.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I don't really see why people prefer Fin x Lachesis. It's a little better than Beowulf(Only like 30% more luck and loses/equal in every thing else), but forces you to glue Fin and Lachesis before he leaves in Ch.4. Beowulf, on the other hand adds more strength and easier to raise with a convo in Ch. 2 and Fin comes back in 2nd Gen with all his stuff.