Super Robots or Real Robots?

Mousefire

20 members have voted

1. 1. Supers or Reals?

Gotta go with the Reals. The Dygenguard smashing anything with a giant sword, or Mazinkaiser fire blasting and Kaiser Novaing everything into dust makes me squee, but nothing makes me smile more than the RX-78-2 fighting against Char, or the Hi-Nu Gundam launching its fin funnels.

Super Robots.

I mean, suuuuuuuuuuuure Gundam is nice and, with all that intriguing storyline and shit, but we be talking about the robots themselves.

Don't really care all that much either way, but I tend to like Real Robot shows a lot more (Macross, Garasaki, Patlabor...) so I'll go with that. I never thought it was that entertaining to watch big machines take thawks at each other, but the "real robot" genera holds things more to my taste.

Depends on what aspect I suppose, I'm not at all a fan of the plotline of SR robots, but in terms of moves (usefulness in games), appearance, I'd go with SR's. For plot and pilots though, generally RR.

I've never actually liked gundams :/ Always liked the concept of the Zeon(-based) mechs better.

Though my comments come mainly from games (opposed to anime/manga).

Don't really care all that much either way, but I tend to like Real Robot shows a lot more (Macross, Garasaki, Patlabor...) so I'll go with that. I never thought it was that entertaining to watch big machines take thawks at each other, but the "real robot" genera holds things more to my taste.

Macross could be pretty Super Robot at times.

I haven't seen all of them, but the original at least has a real robot pastiche even if it doesn't make any attempts at realism.

True. I was searching on Youtube for a good example of some of the craziness it could get to, but unfortunately it seems no one has uploaded the final battle of Frontier, which I wanted to show. In case I can't later and you don't much care for a minor spoiler in the final battle

Huge mechs left and right, beams everywhere, and a humongous gun which pierces the enemy, then sprouts mechs on the inside that themselves shoot missiles. INGENIOUS.

What would you say makes something "super" or "real" though? Because I don't get it. If Armored Core, where you can surpass the speed of sound and exit the Earth's atmosphere in a properly built Next is considered real I don't know what super is.

What would you say makes something "super" or "real" though? Because I don't get it. If Armored Core, where you can surpass the speed of sound and exit the Earth's atmosphere in a properly built Next is considered real I don't know what super is.

Reals are supposed to be things that we could see being possibly built IRL in around the next 100 years, or so. Supers are things that could never exist, like Mazinkaiser, shooting giant melting lasers from its chest, and launching spinning drill/tornado fists.

That's the difference.

Basically what seph said. Real robots are smaller and more humanoid, "simple" mechs such as Gundam. Super mechs, on the other hand, are often huge, using unconventional weapons, tactics, and appearance. They often involve pilots doing ridiculous actions while screaming at the top of their lungs. A good example of super robots would be something like Mazinger.

9 out of ten shows will blend those lines. Something that also helps is the definitive measure comes in the form of explanation. Yes, those near-perpetual engines formed from the imperfections of the abnormalities of the atmosphere are on a real robot. But that organ that powers that human looking robot was obtained by said super robot eating his victim being blessed by 'God'.

That said, Super Robots generally range from semi-preachy to far too open-ended.

9 out of ten shows will blend those lines. Something that also helps is the definitive measure comes in the form of explanation. Yes, those near-perpetual engines formed from the imperfections of the abnormalities of the atmosphere are on a real robot. But that organ that powers that human looking robot was obtained by said super robot eating his victim being blessed by 'God'.

That said, Super Robots generally range from semi-preachy to far too open-ended.

I get the feeling that you're talking about Evangelion, and that you have a misinterpretation of the plot.

Yes and no. It later is shown to be ridiculously super robot-ish, and goes even farther than that into territory that can't really be labeled. But for most of the show it treads the real robot line pretty fairly.

Also, Evangelion is one of my favorite anime period. True story.