Fire Emblem: Dream of Five

AstraLunaSol

I'm pretty sure that it would require ASM hacking to change the EXP formula like this.

Speaking with no experience (so I'm probably wrong about this), but if they could change the staff EXP formula, couldn't they do the same with this?

I completely support making all reinforcements yield 0 EXP, by the way. It makes it easier to figure out which enemies don't yield EXP. In exchange, I'd like it if enemies in the game weren't level 1 forever in order to compensate for losses in EXP gain from empty reinforcements.

Sure, that's a fair compromise. Also, it'd be nice if the game told the player that they wouldn't be getting EXP from the reinforcements.

Edited by Refa

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. When all the reinforcements gave exp, even people like me, who while doesn't play at full efficient speed doesn't reinforcement abuse either, had a massive level inflation at the end of chapter 3. Though, we did cut down on earlygame chapter enemies, and we did increase levels earlier.

@ staff exp: there's a nightmare module for it. There's no nightmare module for battle exp.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Speaking with no experience (so I'm probably wrong about this), but if they could change the staff EXP formula, couldn't they do the same with this?

The staff EXP formula is tied to the staff effect or something stupid like that, IIRC someone (I think it was Mariobro or Hextator) actually wrote some little ASM thing that allows us to change it. Whereas the regular EXP formula is stuffed somewhere else, and none of us have the debugging skills to figure that one out.

And then there's the matter that (as far as I know) nobody has the slightest idea where the regular EXP even formula is.

Edited by Kam

@ staff exp: there's a nightmare module for it. There's no nightmare module for battle exp.

Drats, that's a shame. Well, there's not much that can be done about that unfortunately.

The staff EXP formula is tied to the staff effect or something stupid like that, IIRC someone (I think it was Mariobro or Hextator) actually wrote some little ASM thing that allows us to change it.

It was Hex.

Whereas the regular EXP formula is stuffed somewhere else, and none of us have the debugging skills to figure that one out.

I'm pretty sure Hex has those skills, considering they're the same skills that would have been needed to find the staff EXP calculations.

Yeah but getting Hex to actually do something for us that requires some iota of effort is like commanding the trees of Birnam Wood to advance on Dusinine.

and yes I just made that reference good lord what has english done to me

Also, it'd be nice if the game told the player that they wouldn't be getting EXP from the reinforcements.

Fourth wall? What fourth wall?

"Kolbane! Your swordsmanship cannot be trained on mere reserves! Because of their...reserveliness!"

Yeah but getting Hex to actually do something for us that requires some iota of effort is like commanding the trees of Birnam Wood to advance on Dusinine.

and yes I just made that reference good lord what has english done to me

Good Camcam. //gives cookie.

Dan, maybe either raise the armour or lower the physical shoulder. the plate looks paper-thin and stuck wedged on to his shoulder.

Face and head looks faaaaar better. <3

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Fourth wall? What fourth wall?

"Kolbane! Your swordsmanship cannot be trained on mere reserves! Because of their...reserveliness!"

Have some tutorial esque text (like what you do for Renair's journals). This seems like a no duh to me.

And it seems dreadfully out of place to me, to have literally ONE tutorial screen in a game that does not break the fourth wall anywhere else (almost does with some village, but beyond that and anywhere I might be forgetting...)

OK, how about some village (like a house) dropping a hint about how you should finish the maps quickly, or how there's no point in fighting the reinforcements? I know it's kind of contrived, but that's how I felt about the weapon triangle house in the other FE games.

I have a very hard time imagining how one would construe 'reinforcements don't give experience' from 'don't fight them', instead of something like 'they'll overwhelm you eventually'. Which is the whole point of reinforcements. Why couldn't you just fight one and look at basically any post in the topic you downloaded it from?

... Does this patch come with an FAQ? Because an explanation of known glitches/things that definitely AREN'T glitches might be useful.

I have a very hard time imagining how one would construe 'reinforcements don't give experience' from 'don't fight them', instead of something like 'they'll overwhelm you eventually'. Which is the whole point of reinforcements. Why couldn't you just fight one and look at basically any post in the topic you downloaded it from?

... Does this patch come with an FAQ? Because an explanation of known glitches/things that definitely AREN'T glitches might be useful.

Just throwing this out there, but you could say, "All of those reinforcements are probably starting to tire your army. If possible, try to avoid them instead of fighting them. "

I don't think that the game needs to warn you that they don't give experience. It's not like you can spontaneously get a game over for missing a paltry 20 exp. The game doesn't warn you in FE10 that killing untransformed laguz or Priests gives shitty exp, now does it?

That's silly. That'll just make the rest of the game easier, instead of providing a challenge, because people will just savestate their way through those tougher reinforcements to get the exp they need. If they don't get any EXP, there's no reason for them to grind, and they're rather forced to continue the game, leaving no room for grinding on tougher reinforcements. And knowing ALS, if he made the reinforcements tougher, he'd make them unbeatable o 3 o

So your idea is silly, neeeeext.