Fire Emblem Forever (status: dead?)

Krad

Hello there Krad

Just stopping by to say how stunningly amazing this hack is

And this Oifey has a feeeling

Thanks! Will fix that typo.

One of the best hacks I've ever seen :D although my chapter 7: Restless War "died" (high pitch screeching sound and bugs) after Trabant and Ramsus had a conversation. TnT

Thanks! I've never heard of that happening before, but I'll look into it. Would you happen to still have your save of that chapter before the crash? It'd really help me with fixing this.

Also, you can probably skip the crash by mashing Start during the cutscene that crashes the game. Not a real solution, but should work until I can make a new patch.

Here's the FEE3 video for anyone who missed it

It sadly misses some stuff I'd have liked to be shown (Hannibal and Corple's recruitment, for example), but I guess that's better since people who haven't played this chapter yet will have more things to discover themselves!

I'll probably start working on C13 this weekend.

Edited by Krad

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually planning to record that and upload it separately(I just haven't had time), so if you want I can still do that.

I'd appreciated if you could, but it's not a problem if you don't really have the time to do so.

Never thought of that before, but skipping the Trabant convo actually works, thanks! Oh yeah, Is Tinny suppose to be recruitable in Chapter 6: Meeting? And where are the trio mage sisters?

Talk to Tinny with Arthur.

And the mage sisters weren't added since Chapter 6 was already big enough without three more bosses.

Maybe they'll appear later in the game, I'm not sure right now.

I wonder why Tinny didn't appear, what did I do wrong. hmm.

Tinny only appears after you seize Melgen in Chapter 6. Doing that also triggers the last group of reinforcements and makes Kempf move.

Now I know the reason why Tinny didn't appear.

I've let Leif and Seliph meet first before seizing Melgen (I humorously rescued Leif and his crew with Fee in hopes of giving them more experience during the Melgen battle)

So I restart Chapter 6 (Good thing I have a backup save), I got to recruit Tinny, but the house with the Star Sword and money can't be opened (It doesn't have the "Visit" option) and the item on the cliff is unobtainable anymore. But it's alright as long as Seliph has his waifu.

Man, I'm such a screw up. sorry lol.

Is there a list of what is missed by playing Kids mode? I don't really enjoy playing Fire Emblem romhacks on Hard, but I'd really hate missing characters, chapters, or unique items by doing so.

Is there a list of what is missed by playing Kids mode? I don't really enjoy playing Fire Emblem romhacks on Hard, but I'd really hate missing characters, chapters, or unique items by doing so.

There's a few extra/different items running around (for example, there's a Master Seal only obtainable in Adults mode in Chapter 2, while a village that gives a Killing Edge in Chapter 4 in Kids Mode gives a Steel Sword on Adults mode).

Most of the changes are in enemy ammounts / types / reinforcements.

There won't be any difficulty exclusive characters, but there will be a difficulty-specific chapter for each difficulty. All items that are exclusive to a mode will eventually be availabe in the other mode (at a later point in the game, of course).

• 4 months later...

Don't take the things I say too seriously; during the time I don't update this thread I change the name to make fun of my very regular working times.

The project isn't exactly dead, but I haven't really worked on it since what... August 2013? I was going to start work on C13, but after many hours of trying I failed to make a map I could even call decent, which destroyed a lot of my motivation (map's the most important thing in a chapter for me, and without a good one I can't really work). Also, for some very arbitrary reasons, HxD doesn't work on this computer anymore.

I'll try to go back into mapping this week... screw it, right now, and see what I can come up with.

Don't take the things I say too seriously; during the time I don't update this thread I change the name to make fun of my very regular working times.

The project isn't exactly dead, but I haven't really worked on it since what... August 2013? I was going to start work on C13, but after many hours of trying I failed to make a map I could even call decent, which destroyed a lot of my motivation (map's the most important thing in a chapter for me, and without a good one I can't really work). Also, for some very arbitrary reasons, HxD doesn't work on this computer anymore.

I'll try to go back into mapping this week... screw it, right now, and see what I can come up with.

That's great to hear - just like to let you know that I loved FE4 (one of my favorite video games of all time), and your remake of it is simply fantastic. Thank you for all the work you have put into it, it's an extremely well-made game and I would love to see it finished someday.

Edit: The current release only goes to chapter 10x, and since you said you were going to start working on chapter 13, is there any chance you'll be releasing 11 and 12 anytime soon?

Edited by Eltshan

That's great to hear - just like to let you know that I loved FE4 (one of my favorite video games of all time), and your remake of it is simply fantastic. Thank you for all the work you have put into it, it's an extremely well-made game and I would love to see it finished someday.

The current release only goes to chapter 10x, and since you said you were going to start working on chapter 13, is there any chance you'll be releasing 11 and 12 anytime soon?

Thanks!

My original plan was for the next release to be the full hack, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I'll look into it. If you want to see a bit of how C12 is you can see the FEE3 video (it's at the top of this page), it skips quite a bunch of it though.

Thanks!

My original plan was for the next release to be the full hack, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I'll look into it. If you want to see a bit of how C12 is you can see the FEE3 video (it's at the top of this page), it skips quite a bunch of it though.

I don't want to spoil it :P: Since your remake is different from the original, I'm treating it as a new playthrough. Also, I haven't played FE4 in a while, so I don't remember everything that happened.

Edited by Eltshan

map's the most important thing in a chapter for me, and without a good one I can't really work

I totally know what you mean here, best of luck in getting things to go in your favor, this hack's completion is definitely something to look forward to...

Some thoughts up to this point (I'm at chapter 9 at the moment):

• There's a number of minor typos in a few of the opening narrations. None of them are particularly severe, and I don't remember exactly where they are, but if you go through and spell-check them they shouldn't be too hard to find and eliminate.
  • Should the Balmung be 50 use only? I recall that Sigurd's Tyrfing and Lewyn's Forseti were both infinite-use in the prologue, and since there are no weapon repairs in this game, it doesn't really make sense for a holy weapon to break and disappear.
  • Even though Eyvel is supposed to be gone and can't be deployed, her items can still be traded during any of the battle preparations. It's not a big deal, but a bit inconsistent.
  • In the original FE4, units promoted automatically. Perhaps consider making Master Seals easier/earlier to find (e.g., making more of them enemy drops as opposed to chests/houses)? I missed a couple in the early chapters and one of my level 20 units (Lester to be exact) couldn't promote because there are no Master Seals left.

As expected from the start, this has been an absolutely phenomenal hack so far and I look forward to completing the current version. Thanks again for all the effort you've put into it :-)

Edited by Eltshan

Just finished playing the majority of the current patch, currently at the prep screen in 10x, and I must say I'm enjoying it so far. Playing on Adults Mode and it's quite a challenge, especially with some of the added enemies (I'm looking at you, Ch7 Warrior). Definitely liking the large deployment and the abundance of EXP to fill those slots, it gives a size to the game reminiscent of FE4.

[spoiler=Speaking of which...]FireEmblemForever05.pngFireEmblemForever06.png

Despite being a Roy palette swap, Leif is really good! Light Sword is very versatile with its 1-2 range and use as a Defense-piercing sword up close, and his stats help carry him to 20. Mine is probably blessed, definitely in Defense. Once he promotes he's going to be amazing.

Seliph on the other hand is decidedly mediocre, and in a game with powerful enemies that's not a good thing. He almost never doubled (in part due to the really fast Knights), couldn't 2HKO more than Axe Knight with Vitranova, and was getting doubled by the promoted enemies. Hence he is lagging behind in levels. Hopefully things will change when he gets his horse.

FireEmblemForever07.pngFireEmblemForever11.png

FireEmblemForever16.pngFireEmblemForever02.png

Ladies and gentlemen, the Four Riders of the Apocalypse.

Even without Prayer Finn is still amazing with his high bases and early Hero Lance, and has consistently been one of my most reliable units. He's like Hard Mode Percival as a T1 unit that doesn't need to be recruited as an enemy. If there was any small problem, it could be solved with "Throw Finn at it".

Arthur took awhile to get going, but a surge of Speed in Ch6 got him doubling and ORKOing left and right. Then he promoted and gained staves, which made him useful as a support unit and a nuke. I do find it odd that he has access to Light magic, considering Mage Knights don't have it.

I was doubtful about a Knight in a mount-dominated game, but Knight!MU made the last leg of Ch6 bearable by soloing the northern reinforcements on a fort. Between that and holding the line in Ch7/8 he earned his Master Seal.

Delmud is everything you would expect of a solitary early-game Cavalier. All-around solid, probably blessed in Speed, but didn't promote until just now because I was trying to bring up Ares. Still, he's ready to join the other three next map.

FireEmblemForever13.png

Fee was constantly lagging behind in levels because of her low Strength, but I kept using her because she's my only flier. Being able to Canto in and out of battle and use swords helped her, and I have high hopes for her now that she's promoted.

FireEmblemForever23.pngFireEmblemForever12.pngFireEmblemForever09.png

Larcei started out great with high Str/Skl/Spd, but around Ch6/7 she slowed down because she hit her Speed cap and the enemies caught up. Still doubled, but often needed Iron, which hurt her damage output, but the numerous special swords helped her out. Just promoted.

Ulster doubled on and off and while he started outclassed by his sister he caught up once she slowed down. Higher Con worked to his advantage with the heavier swords. Gave him the seal over her because I wanted another axe user.

Johalva got some good levels early on and I ended up using him as my main axe user because he can take hits and dish them out. Low luck is bothersome and he had Speed problems around Ch7, but he's still solid. Trying to get him a bow rank before Thracia.

FireEmblemForever15.pngFireEmblemForever08.png

Julia was a solid bombing unit early on with exclusive Alba access, although she never doubled anything... then came Chapter 6. Along with Arthur she snowballed out of control and gained a lot of Speed; she was just one shy of capping at 20! (and she still capped Mag/Skl/Res and had 40 HP) She's gradually returning to sanity, but for a couple chapters she one-rounded every unpromoted physical unit she faced.

Nanna is what you'd expect of a Troubadour, but mine got quite a bit of Magic. Her offense is already on par with Arthur and just a little behind Julia, although her Speed fixes that. Also the main staff user as of Ch7.

FireEmblemForever17.pngFireEmblemForever14.png

FireEmblemForever19.pngFireEmblemForever01-2.png

Holy Weapon users, or eventual Holy Weapon users.

Admittedly I haven't used Shanan much because I've committed to training Larcei, but I'll probably rotate between the two depending on when I need the Balmung.

Ares is pretty mediocre compared to the other mounts, but Mystletainn is right around the corner so I suspect that will change. The Killing Edge eased raising him.

Faval and Ced just joined, but Faval's offense left a good impression so far and Ced looks amazing at a glance so I'll definitely use them.

FireEmblemForever10.pngFireEmblemForever18.png

Support units. I'm still on the fence about using Patty since she's been lagging behind the group, but she's slowly catching up. Her thieving skills are fine, though. Leen is fine, all that matters is dancing and not dying in one hit.

FireEmblemForever21.pngFireEmblemForever20.png

Last but not least, the filler prepromotes who won't see much more use. Oifey was a good Jeigan unit in the earlygame, and the high enemy stats meant his high stats weren't much of an issue. Glade was useful for tanking in Ch7 and saw use because I had room in Ch10. Great Steel Axe chip and has little fear of non-axe weapons.

That's all the units currently in active rotation. Lana saw use up to Ch6, but I dropped her afterwards because with my mages close to promoting and Nanna joining I didn't see much use for her. Lester got dropped as of Ch6 because his Strength couldn't keep up. Orsin and Halvan were used in their joining chapter and never touched again because they were underleveled. Asvel was in the same boat but saw use in Ch6, and I brought Lifis along for Ch9 to empty chests. Johan, Salem, and Tinny never saw use. Maybe next time.

I like how you handle the promotion items, what with a few early on for people who want to early-promote a few units and a large influx come Ch9/10 for the horde of Level 20s casuals will have.

Aside from the problems already stated, I noticed two.

FireEmblemForever01.png

Leen, stop grinding against Seliph. There are children present.

Basically if someone occupies the square below the castle when you seize she spawns on top of Seliph.

Also, in Ch9 both waves of archers/a mage reinforcements have a Shield Ring you can steal. Not a big problem, just not sure if this is intentional or an oversight.

Edited by X-Naut